Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Perplexed Penguin

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 pm

abc14 wrote:
Perplexed Penguin wrote:I just got in. Is there any chance at money or would that have been in the email? I want to be in NYC but I don't know that I can justify spending 90k more than I would at Illinois.

About a day after I was admitted, I e-mail my scanned Fordham Financial Aid app a non-specific inquiry asking to be considered for aid and alluding to other deposit deadlines. I got an email about merit scholly about 5 days later. Getting a response about need-based aid took an additional 2 weeks (so ~3 weeks after my Fordham Financial Aid app was submitted). Good luck!

Where do you get the Financial aid app? I have checked their website and there was nothing in the email.

abc14

Postby abc14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Financial Aid App is on the ASW. I got login and password for ASW via email the day after I was admitted

Merit scholarships don't require the Financial Aid App, but if you think you may qualify for need-based grants I'd fill out the form and get it back to them as soon as you can.

I'd also shoot the financial aid office a quick email asking to be considered for merit aid and telling them about your other deadlines. They got back to me within 2-3 days when I e-mailed them

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 am

I'm sure there a several members of the Fordham Fam on here answering questions, and I'm sure most of them are in my section lol, but as I need some distraction from stressing about finals and the writing comp, feel free to hit me up.

Caveat: I know nothing about financial aid or any of that process.

~ SoOoFLy

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:I'm sure there a several members of the Fordham Fam on here answering questions, and I'm sure most of them are in my section lol, but as I need some distraction from stressing about finals and the writing comp, feel free to hit me up.

~ SoOoFLy

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HOORAY!!!
MrSoOoFly is a fantastic Fordham resource and I'm so happy he's here!! (even if it's just for a short while, as a stress reliever...) He'll have a different perspective on lots of this stuff than the other 3 of us do... so ask him things!
(And SoOo? Have a great weekend if I don't see you in the libe, tomorrow! <3)

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:14 am

nygrrrl wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:I'm sure there a several members of the Fordham Fam on here answering questions, and I'm sure most of them are in my section lol, but as I need some distraction from stressing about finals and the writing comp, feel free to hit me up.

~ SoOoFLy

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HOORAY!!!
MrSoOoFly is a fantastic Fordham resource and I'm so happy he's here!! (even if it's just for a short while, as a stress reliever...) He'll have a different perspective on lots of this stuff than the other 3 of us do... so ask him things!
(And SoOo? Have a great weekend if I don't see you in the libe, tomorrow! <3)

I'll be splitting my time tomorrow between the Law Caf and the LALSA office; I need more room than the cubicles in the library can provide for all of my discombobulated notes, supps, and outlines. I'll also probably be pulling an all nighter if you're going to be around late; trying to begin/finish/rape my property outline tomorrow since my GF is forcing me to go clubbing for her coworker's bday -_______- So shoot me a text if you have any questions about anything =]

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

Last edited by afc1910 on Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am

Just withdrew, feels weird saying good bye to people I never met.

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:43 pm

afc1910 wrote:Quick waitlist movement analysis speculation here: two people with 168s got in off the waitlist. Considering that their gpas are lower than the median, I assume the median LSAT for 2014 entering class after the deposits were submitted was lower than admissions expected, but gpa was doing ok, so they are trying to bring their LSAT median up. And my median GPA and median LSAT is useless to them, so I shall stay on the waitlist a while longer if not forever. Sounds reasonable?

Then I'm going nowhere fast.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm

afc1910 wrote:Quick waitlist movement analysis speculation here: two people with 168s got in off the waitlist. Considering that their gpas are lower than the median, I assume the median LSAT for 2014 entering class after the deposits were submitted was lower than admissions expected, but gpa was doing ok, so they are trying to bring their LSAT median up. And my median GPA and median LSAT is useless to them, so I shall stay on the waitlist a while longer if not forever. Sounds reasonable?

This sounds reasonable only so long as you know these are the only two recent admits from the waitlist and that there will be no others. I am going to assume that you do not have access to the full list of recent admits. If so, then it is entirely possible that two others were admited with high gpa and lower lsats, thereby rounding out the lsat/gpa numbers. It could also be that the high LSAT scorers were admitted and the high GPA pool is still waiting to be tapped. There are further problems with this analysis as well, for example did the high LSAT scorers accept? If not then does the admissions dept. want to admit people with high GPAs over other high LSAT scorers? There are way too many variables to get much info out of recent admits.

lawschool567

Postby lawschool567 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Where are you getting this information from?

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 pm

afc1910

Postby afc1910 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:17 pm

~ SoOoFLy

I have a couple of quick questions! Are you a day student? If so, I'm really curious as to what my daily schedule will be like (most importantly, what time my earliest class will be). Are you assigned to a section randomly or can you somewhat pick and choose what time you have to be up in the AM?

Secondly, can anyone comment on the gym facilities at the Lincoln Center campus? The website blurb was pretty vague and I'm just wondering if it is worth keeping my NYSC membership as there's one right by the law school.

And congrats to all the new admits!

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Lolek wrote:
Lawst wrote:I'm about this close to withdrawing from the waitlist. Fordham was my top choice from the start, but while I've been chilling on the bench over here, Rutgers has been winning me over. They've offered me enough scholarship - plus in-state tuition if I move across the river before classes start - that I could go there for about 1/4 of what I'd pay for Fordham. Also, I like the school. It was one of my safeties, but upon further inspection, it seems like a good, solid regional state school.

I mean, obviously Fordham is a better school, but for a non-traditional student like me who's going to be 40 at graduation and planning to go into public-interest law, does it matter? Is it really worth 4X the price?

Moving to North Jersey is a whole other matter - I've made peace with that and am seeing it as a three-year retreat of sorts. I will be back in New York, period, even if I end up initially working in Jersey and commuting from the city.

I'm musing over this in the thread in case anyone has been in this situation and has some insight to share. Also, I need to write about it to figure out why I'm not making the obvious logical choice, or at least what seems like the most logical - letting Fordham go. Some of these schools just stick in your craw, you know?

I just got into Fordham, and this was my top choice from the start also. However, I'm in the same situation as you with Rutgers...except I'm not interested in public interest. I'm leaning towards Corporate Law...but not 100% set on that yet.

What do you all think you would do in this situation? We're talking sticker at Fordham vs. chump change at Rutgers (well, chump change comparably to the first option)

I've gotten a good scholly at RU that I'm still going to haggle over, but the point is...I have quite a dilemma on my hands.

I am scared to pass up not going to Fordham, as it's my dream school. On the other hand, I'm scared to death of coming out of Fordham with 150k debt + undergrad debt and possibly not making it big (we've all heard the stories of law schools and jobs nowadays). It's very tough for me to think about...

Do you take the safe route, or do you take the plunge?

P.S.
For those going to Fordham, are you commuting or living around the area? I live close, but I can't imagine commuting in every day when I know we'll all be swamped with work.

I would like to know the answer to this as I am looking at the same situation. However, my other school of choice is the University of Illinois and they're giving me a bigger scholarship. Couple that with the lower cost of living and it's a huge difference. With Fordham, assuming that there is an increase of 4% on their tuition and the COL is the same I'm looking at about 175K debt plus undergrad debt which is less than 20K. As an aside, I already put in my deposit for Fordham.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:25 pm

adevotchka wrote:Secondly, can anyone comment on the gym facilities at the Lincoln Center campus? The website blurb was pretty vague and I'm just wondering if it is worth keeping my NYSC membership as there's one right by the law school.

i'm also wondering about this. I have a 24hr membership that I think I'm going to have to cancel because it's not for Ultrasport and there don't seem to be a lot of 24s in NYC

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:38 pm

fakemoney wrote:That's something I'm going to check out when I drop by the campus next week.

i'm from CA...went for the 4/2 ASD but forgot to ask...

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Gotti wrote:
adevotchka wrote:Secondly, can anyone comment on the gym facilities at the Lincoln Center campus? The website blurb was pretty vague and I'm just wondering if it is worth keeping my NYSC membership as there's one right by the law school.

i'm also wondering about this. I have a 24hr membership that I think I'm going to have to cancel because it's not for Ultrasport and there don't seem to be a lot of 24s in NYC

I don't know much about the facilities at Fordham, but I think they are in the residence hall and I am pretty sure they are not 24 hours.

With the exception of a couple of schools in NYC (which really means NYU and Columbia, but there might be some others of which I am not aware) the gyms in schools here are generally crappy or non-existent.

For those of you who are from outside of NYC looking to join a gym: they are much more expensive, smaller, crowded, and aggressive about signing you up for training than what you are probably used to. However, 24 hr gyms are fairly common in my experience.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Fordham is closed until Tuesday due to easter and I never got my accepted students log in and I have until Thursday to put down my other deposit. I hope Fordham can quickly give me some answers to my financial questions. I want to be in NYC.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:11 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I don't know much about the facilities at Fordham, but I think they are in the residence hall and I am pretty sure they are not 24 hours.

With the exception of a couple of schools in NYC (which really means NYU and Columbia, but there might be some others of which I am not aware) the gyms in schools here are generally crappy or non-existent.

For those of you who are from outside of NYC looking to join a gym: they are much more expensive, smaller, crowded, and aggressive about signing you up for training than what you are probably used to. However, 24 hr gyms are fairly common in my experience.

by 24hr i meant 24 hour fitness

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Oh, that makes sense. I think there is one or two around, but I am not sure where they are exactly.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:59 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:I don't know much about the facilities at Fordham, but I think they are in the residence hall and I am pretty sure they are not 24 hours.

Oh, that makes sense. I think there is one or two around, but I am not sure where they are exactly.

yeah there's the ultrasport on 53rd i think (correct me if i'm wrong) but that's like crazy $$ for a membership. all i need is the weight room and cardio machines, tbh. looks like i'll have to invest in a more common gym. they're expensive out there!!! i pay $25/month :?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Gotti, the best deal I've found is at NYSports (which is I think LASports or SportsclubLA? something like that.) It's still going to be culture shock - I have an all-access membership and it's about $75/mo (with union discounts)

I haven't been to Fordham's gym; I hear that they recently renovated and that it's small but functional.

SoOoFly is in the PT division. We were assigned sections.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:I don't know much about the facilities at Fordham, but I think they are in the residence hall and I am pretty sure they are not 24 hours.

yeah there's the ultrasport on 53rd i think (correct me if i'm wrong) but that's like crazy $$ for a membership. all i need is the weight room and cardio machines, tbh. looks like i'll have to invest in a more common gym. they're expensive out there!!! i pay $25/month :?

I go to a gym on the Lower East Side called Ludlow Fitness. It might be a little of the way but they have pretty awesome prices compared to other gyms in the area. I payed about 430something for the year which comes out to 30something a month. The gym is pretty legit. It has all the free weights you need as well as cardio machines(treadmill, elliptical, stairmasters, and bikes) The only problem i have with the gym is that it is rather small so if you go during peak hours you might stand around for a bit waiting for a cardio machine. It's also 24hours!!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm

$75 a month!?!?!?!? JESUS why is nyc so fucking expensive :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”