Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akcorps

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
I have negotiated the same rent for 4 years in a row

how do you go about doing this? my lease is up in august and i don't want to pay more.

by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing.

HAO?!?!?!?

I told them that these were not the droids they were looking for, and that I needed MOAR money.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:23 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing.

HAO?!?!?!?

I told them that these were not the droids they were looking for, and that I needed MOAR money.

...ok no but really.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing.

HAO?!?!?!?

...ok no but really.

Alright. Seriously. Its my winning personality.

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing

but really. did you write a letter?

This only works in a place like astoria where the apartments are, for the most part, owned by families that live the buildings. My rent went up 20% in october when I resigned my lease and I tired negociating more than once to no avail.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 pm

akcorps wrote:Alright. Seriously. Its my winning personality.

cool. thanks for all the help and insight. :|

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:38 pm

manhattandoll8 wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing

This only works in a place like astoria where the apartments are, for the most part, owned by families that live the buildings. My rent went up 20% in october when I resigned my lease and I tired negociating more than once to no avail.

No. My building is 60 units and is owned by a realty group with 20 some odd other buildings that funds a lobbying group to remove rent stabilization protection.

IMO, renting from families in ethnic neighborhoods like Astoria can be tricky, especially if you are not of that same ethnicity. I looked at some family owned places and had to listen to the broker and the landlords talk to one another in Greek about how much they thought they could get out of me. I truly believe that if I had a Greek last name I would have gotten a better price on some of these places. I went with my building because it was more on the level and professional.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Akcorps, can I ask you your stats (LSAT, gpa)? PM me if you'd like.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Gotti wrote:

Wow. You're going to give up that easily? No wonder you are having trouble negotiating! Look, you want to be a lawyer, right? Well, I don't want to be a dick, but if you can't negotiate this is going to be a tough job for you.

I have written several posts on my situation and the potential wiggle room and trade offs inherent in the law school funding process. I think the number one thing that law students forget is that you are not entitled to any money in the first place. First, be happy you got in. Next, evaluate why you want to go and what you want to do. Once you have done this, think about what the school is looking for and what you are bringing to the equation. Inform the dean of admissions that you want to go, talk up your strong points, mention your rationale for choosing that school, stress that funding is an important part of your decision making process and that you really cannot make this work if you do not receive some level of funding. When they don't write back, do it again, send it to other email addresses in the admissions department. Don't give up.

Here is the thing, put yourself in the admissions department's shoes for a minute. Think of how many arrogant, entitled students are bothering them with requests for more money. People act like its another prestige point instead of an incentive for you to come to their school instead of another institution. If you are nice, reasonable, and think like a lawyer (and a bit of a salesperson) you will have better luck than badgering them with threats or insisting on getting more money because you are elite or whatever.

Look, some of that money was also need-based, but again that only came after I made my case to them. I realize I have a set of strange circumstances, but the fact is that they were willing to let me pay for the whole thing until I showed them why it would be better for all parties if I didn't have to.

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 pm

akcorps wrote:
manhattandoll8 wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

No. My building is 60 units and is owned by a realty group with 20 some odd other buildings that funds a lobbying group to remove rent stabilization protection.

IMO, renting from families in ethnic neighborhoods like Astoria can be tricky, especially if you are not of that same ethnicity. I looked at some family owned places and had to listen to the broker and the landlords talk to one another in Greek about how much they thought they could get out of me. I truly believe that if I had a Greek last name I would have gotten a better price on some of these places. I went with my building because it was more on the level and professional.

LOL true about the Greeks. I looked at apartments there and had a similar experience. I ended up in manhattan because I got a great deal on the UES when the economy was the pits but now that my rent went up astronomically, is definitley a better deal to go outside the island.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Wow. You're going to give up that easily? No wonder you are having trouble negotiating! Look, you want to be a lawyer, right? Well, I don't want to be a dick, but if you can't negotiate this is going to be a tough job for you.

I have written several posts on my situation and the potential wiggle room and trade offs inherent in the law school funding process. I think the number one thing that law students forget is that you are not entitled to any money in the first place. First, be happy you got in. Next, evaluate why you want to go and what you want to do. Once you have done this, think about what the school is looking for and what you are bringing to the equation. Inform the dean of admissions that you want to go, talk up your strong points, mention your rationale for choosing that school, stress that funding is an important part of your decision making process and that you really cannot make this work if you do not receive some level of funding. When they don't write back, do it again, send it to other email addresses in the admissions department. Don't give up.

Here is the thing, put yourself in the admissions department's shoes for a minute. Think of how many arrogant, entitled students are bothering them with requests for more money. People act like its another prestige point instead of an incentive for you to come to their school instead of another institution. If you are nice, reasonable, and think like a lawyer (and a bit of a salesperson) you will have better luck than badgering them with threats or insisting on getting more money because you are elite or whatever.

Look, some of that money was also need-based, but again that only came after I made my case to them. I realize I have a set of strange circumstances, but the fact is that they were willing to let me pay for the whole thing until I showed them why it would be better for all parties if I didn't have to.

don't jump to hasty conclusions based off me being irritated and unamused that you like to respond to legitimate questions with things that waste people's time even when people ask you more than once.

I already did all the above...wrote a long letter detailing why I want to attend Fordham and why they want me to attend. their response was that my lsat is too low for merit aid and my parents make too much money for need-based aid.

So please refrain from knocking people because they didn't respond well to your "jokes".

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Gotti wrote:don't jump to hasty conclusions based off me being irritated and unamused that you like to respond to legitimate questions with things that waste people's time even when people ask you more than once.

I already did all the above...wrote a long letter detailing why I want to attend Fordham and why they want me to attend. their response was that my lsat is too low for merit aid and my parents make too much money for need-based aid.

So please refrain from knocking people because they didn't respond well to your "jokes".

First of all, I didn't "knock" you, so lighten up.

Secondly, a wise man once said "Don't try. Do." I wrote multiple letters, you can't give up after a single try.

Thirdly, I think I was pretty reasonable in my response. What are you bringing to Fordham? Not an LSAT score that will help them with their USNWR score, so they have little incentive to give you money. Did you think about retaking it or applying for the evening division where you might be considered for money? Even if you did not get funding that way, you could always offset your costs by working. I think the school is fairly well known for being cheap with people in general because they can be, and it's also fairly well known that they are trying to regain lost ground in the rankings. So, if you are not bringing anything to the table, then they are not going to have any incentive to give you anything in return.

As for your parental money situation, I get that. Life sucks sometimes. Sorry it didn't work out for you. If your parents can't or wont help you I think that is something you need to take up with them, not the school. I went through a lot of the same crap in my undergrad, which is why I paid for it entirely on my own.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:25 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:don't jump to hasty conclusions based off me being irritated and unamused that you like to respond to legitimate questions with things that waste people's time even when people ask you more than once.

Secondly, a wise man once said "Don't try. Do." I wrote multiple letters, you can't give up after a single try.

Thirdly, I think I was pretty reasonable in my response. What are you bringing to Fordham? Not an LSAT score that will help them with their USNWR score, so they have little incentive to give you money. Did you think about retaking it or applying for the evening division where you might be considered for money? Even if you did not get funding that way, you could always offset your costs by working. I think the school is fairly well known for being cheap with people in general because they can be, and it's also fairly well known that they are trying to regain lost ground in the rankings. So, if you are not bringing anything to the table, then they are not going to have any incentive to give you anything in return.

As for your parental money situation, I get that. Life sucks sometimes. Sorry it didn't work out for you. If your parents can't or wont help you I think that is something you need to take up with them, not the school. I went through a lot of the same crap in my undergrad, which is why I paid for it entirely on my own.

what are your stats? I have a feeling you had a little more leverage than I do. I emailed the director of financial aid herself.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Hey Guys Can we stay focused! Its friday and I'm still Complete 3/28 :x :x :cry: :cry: :?

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:05 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Hey Guys Can we stay focused! Its friday and I'm still Complete 3/28 :x :x :cry: :cry: :?

I feel for you. I am still waiting for my third complete. I know applying in January is considered "late," but every other school got back to me within 8 weeks. This is ridiculous at this point.

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Hey Guys Can we stay focused! Its friday and I'm still Complete 3/28 :x :x :cry: :cry: :?

I feel for you. I am still waiting for my third complete. I know applying in January is considered "late," but every other school got back to me within 8 weeks. This is ridiculous at this point.

lol I know. I am in the same boat. I applied so late. :\

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:

what are your stats? I have a feeling you had a little more leverage than I do. I emailed the director of financial aid herself.

Fordham is so nice. They at least gave you a reason why you wouldn't get more need/merit aid. At some other schools I emailed for more $ they just said no :(.

Also Fordham dean wrote the most sincere note I have ever seen in an admit package.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Fordham is so nice. They at least gave you a reason why you wouldn't get more need/merit aid. At some other schools I emailed for more $ they just said no :(.

Also Fordham dean wrote the most sincere note I have ever seen in an admit package.

True. At Brooklyn they didn't even say no, they just never said anything! Maybe they sensed my reluctance to go, or maybe they read the crap I posted here about their ASD.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:14 pm

akcorps wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Fordham is so nice. They at least gave you a reason why you wouldn't get more need/merit aid. At some other schools I emailed for more $ they just said no :(.

True. At Brooklyn they didn't even say no, they just never said anything! Maybe they sensed my reluctance to go, or maybe they read the crap I posted here about their ASD.

I don't know whats going on at BLS...
I sent them a request to change my address on file and they never answered
I also signed up for that thing to communicate with faculty and I never heard from anyone

otterpotter

Postby otterpotter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Gemini wrote:Best neighborhood in NY is considered to be Park Slope. Which is in Brooklyn.

yikes. not even close. what are you basing that on?

otterpotter

Postby otterpotter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 pm

aaaaaah wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:you have to live in an outer borough for a while to realize that manhattan isn't that great

For real. I can honestly say I'd stay in my neighborhood even if I did have the extra cash to burn on Manhattan rent.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

+1

otterpotter

Postby otterpotter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:42 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:

My experience with Fordham: First thing to know is they don't give anyone more than $25k, combined need based and merit based. I got my financial aid package, was a few thousand short of maxing out, so I went in to talk to a financial aid counselor about it. She was friendly and told me to send her my other offers, and she would talk to them for me. I sent her a casual email, with my other offers, and she called me a few days later to say they increased it.

otterpotter

Postby otterpotter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:43 pm

otterpotter wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:

My experience with Fordham: First thing to know is they don't give anyone more than $25k, combined need based and merit based. I got my financial aid package, was a few thousand short of maxing out, so I went in to talk to a financial aid counselor about it. She was friendly and told me to send her my other offers, and she would talk to them for me. I sent her a casual email, with my other offers, and she called me a few days later to say they increased it.

clarification: $25k a year.

cartman44

Postby cartman44 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:53 pm

otterpotter wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:

can you share your numbers? I also think they give more aid to URMs for the same numbers.

irishrule

Postby irishrule » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Got waitlisted with a 3.46 and a 170. I had good LORs and solid summer internships. I did apply in January though.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any hope of getting in off the waitlist?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm

irishrule wrote:Got waitlisted with a 3.46 and a 170. I had good LORs and solid summer internships. I did apply in January though.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any hope of getting in off the waitlist?

seems like you were YP'd

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”