Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stringer6

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

I know I don't. I'm only sharing my own, and what I believe to be the non-NYer, bias against outer-boroughs. I've never really been to the outer boroughs for more than 5 mins, so I don't have a clue. This is just the perception.

right. i was just telling you. not all slums.

and yea, if you just want to live as close as possible to fordham and that's the only thing that matters to you, i wouldn't live in the middle of brooklyn.

but really, you can live anywhere and nyc and it wouldn't be a problem to get to fordham.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 am

I suppose it depends where you live in relation to public transportation. At night, the only reasonably priced safe option was to take the Express Bus (because the bus stops to my place from the train stops were kind of sketch... and the walk was a sketchy half mile... and the cab companies around there don't operate at all hours). The last Express bus back to the Bronx leaves 23rd & Park at 12:15am. So... I found I was often crashing with friends if we were out even a little bit late. They never complained or objected, but I would have preferred sleeping in my own bed.

yea that doesn't sound fun. living in a neighborhood where you feel comfortable walking around at all times of the day and night is important.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 am

Lwoods wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
Lived in the Bronx for 3 years (and enjoyed it). But, I still think know Manhattan is actually that great.

i actually just think living in brooklyn is better than manhattan.

I suppose it depends where you live in relation to public transportation. At night, the only reasonably priced safe option was to take the Express Bus (because the bus stops to my place from the train stops were kind of sketch... and the walk was a sketchy half mile... and the cab companies around there don't operate at all hours). The last Express bus back to the Bronx leaves 23rd & Park at 12:15am. So... I found I was often crashing with friends if we were out even a little bit late. They never complained or objected, but I would have preferred sleeping in my own bed.

This is definitely the WORST part of living in the outer boroughs. Transportation is a pain in the ass, especially when the MTA just decides to fuck things up for you for like 6 weeks at a time. This is really why living in Manhattan is preferable in my mind, but the rents too damn high!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:01 am

akcorps wrote:
Gemini wrote:Best neighborhood in NY is considered to be Park Slope. Which is in Brooklyn.

For what? Families? I wouldn't live there for so many reasons. Where you live is a highly personal decision that should be based on a number of factors. Park Slope is as expensive as Manhattan, but tends to be for middle aged people, is a somewhat long ride into Manhattan, etc. etc. I wouldn't recommend it for a Fordham student.

LOLOLOL @ Park Slope being for middle aged people. There's so much going on there at nighttime.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 am

aliarrow wrote:But then why New York at all if you aren't in Manhattan? Seems like it'd make more sense to just go somewhere else cheaper.

I mean, I live in Brooklyn, but I work in Manhattan, I (potentially) will go to school in Manhattan, I go out in-- actually, no, I pretty much only go out in Brooklyn ever since realizing that everything there is just better. :wink: Anyway, my point is that living in one of the boroughs doesn't feel like you're in a different city (unless that borough is Staten Island, in which case you'll feel like you're living on an entirely different planet).

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 am

Stringer6 wrote:yea that doesn't sound fun. living in a neighborhood where you feel comfortable walking around at all times of the day and night is important.

Stringer, I usually agree with you on things, but dude, Park Slope is for oldies which is why you feel comfortable walking around. Most people are in bed by 10. And its mad expensive. And far from anything most law students would want to do with their spare time.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:05 am

aaaaaah wrote:
aliarrow wrote:But then why New York at all if you aren't in Manhattan? Seems like it'd make more sense to just go somewhere else cheaper.

I mean, I live in Brooklyn, but I work in Manhattan, I (potentially) will go to school in Manhattan, I go out in-- actually, no, I pretty much only go out in Brooklyn ever since realizing that everything there is just better. :wink: Anyway, my point is that living in one of the boroughs doesn't feel like you're in a different city (unless that borough is Staten Island, in which case you'll feel like you're living on an entirely different planet).

That depends on your neighborhood. I lived in Clinton Hill in the late 90s, and it definitely felt like I lived on a different planet and I could see the Empire State building from my corner. It also took me an hour to get to work in midtown every morning. However, my apartment was 600 for an entire floor. Pretty sweet.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:06 am

akcorps wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:yea that doesn't sound fun. living in a neighborhood where you feel comfortable walking around at all times of the day and night is important.

Stringer, I usually agree with you on things, but dude, Park Slope is for oldies which is why you feel comfortable walking around. Most people are in bed by 10. And its mad expensive. And far from anything most law students would want to do with their spare time.

EVERY neighborhood has its residential areas. Park Slope has good, quiet places, but then there is a nightlife area as well. Sure, there are no clubs (which actually speaks for its good quality) but there are plenty of bars, restaurants, lounges, even a couple of live music places.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am

i actually don't live in park slope. but i live close and walk through on a semi-regular basis. yes, there are baby strollers, but there are also busy commercial avenues with lots of bars. if i had the money, i would probably live in another neighborhood, but that's just personal preference. i don't think it's a dead neighborhood.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 am

Gemini wrote:EVERY neighborhood has its residential areas. Park Slope has good, quiet places, but then there is a nightlife area as well. Sure, there are no clubs (which actually speaks for its good quality) but there are plenty of bars, restaurants, lounges, even a couple of live music places.

For oldies. I went to Southpaw a couple of times to see the Kills and some other bands, but even then the average age was way higher than when I saw them play at Bowery or other venues. I also liked going to places like Al di La, but again it attracts an older crowd, its expensive, and you aren't exactly saving money by going there as opposed to someplace in Manhattan. I would pass on PS.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 am

That depends on your neighborhood. I lived in Clinton Hill in the late 90s, and it definitely felt like I lived on a different planet and I could see the Empire State building from my corner. It also took me an hour to get to work in midtown every morning. However, my apartment was 600 for an entire floor. Pretty sweet.

clinton hill is pretty different now from the late 90s, as is most of brooklyn.

and if you lived in manhattan for a while and then moved to clinton hill, then yes, you would feel the difference. mostly that it's quieter and there is less traffic. but there is plenty to do.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:12 am

Stringer6 wrote:and if you lived in manhattan for a while and then moved to clinton hill, then yes, you would feel the difference. mostly that it's quieter and there is less traffic. but there is plenty to do.

All there was to do at that time was get shot.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 am

akcorps wrote:
Gemini wrote:EVERY neighborhood has its residential areas. Park Slope has good, quiet places, but then there is a nightlife area as well. Sure, there are no clubs (which actually speaks for its good quality) but there are plenty of bars, restaurants, lounges, even a couple of live music places.

For oldies. I went to Southpaw a couple of times to see the Kills and some other bands, but even then the average age was way higher than when I saw them play at Bowery or other venues. I also liked going to places like Al di La, but again it attracts an older crowd, its expensive, and you aren't exactly saving money by going there as opposed to someplace in Manhattan. I would pass on PS.

haha. if you're saying that not many 22 and 23 year olds live there on their own, then yes, it's for oldies. i might be an oldie by your definition.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:17 am

Stringer6 wrote: i might be an oldie by your definition.

Hey, me too! Like I said, I was living in CH in the late 90s. No offense was meant. I just think the Slope doesn't lend itself to student lifestyles, especially when school is in midtown Manhattan. Its definitely a great place if you want the amenities of say the Upper West Side without the hustle and bustle and a slightly cheaper rent for more space.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am

Hey, me too! Like I said, I was living in CH in the late 90s. No offense was meant. I just think the Slope doesn't lend itself to student lifestyles, especially when school is in midtown Manhattan. Its definitely a great place if you want the amenities of say the Upper West Side without the hustle and bustle and a slightly cheaper rent for more space.

agreed

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am

Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:21 am

maglialoro wrote:haha, just reading the last two pages makes me wonder how many of you actually live in ny or are just reading tourist guides that tell people not to ride the train past 10PM.

:lol:

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:42 am

I have lived in Manhattan (yes, actual Manhattan) for 4 years and I can tell you that if I was going to go to Fordham next fall I would move to Astoria, Queens. It's cheaper that Manhattan and its a straight shot on one train (no transfers). You can get a much bigger place and it takes the same or less time to get to wherever you need to go in Manhattan. I live on the upper east side now (east 70s) and it would take me longer to get to Fordham from here than if I lived in Astoria. Just a thought.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

manhattandoll8 wrote:I have lived in Manhattan (yes, actual Manhattan) for 4 years and I can tell you that if I was going to go to Fordham next fall I would move to Astoria, Queens. It's cheaper that Manhattan and its a straight shot on one train (no transfers). You can get a much bigger place and it takes the same or less time to get to wherever you need to go in Manhattan. I live on the upper east side now (east 70s) and it would take me longer to get to Fordham from here than if I lived in Astoria. Just a thought.

Shhhh! Don't let it get out! I have negotiated the same rent for 4 years in a row because the neighborhood is still "up and coming."

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:53 am

I have negotiated the same rent for 4 years in a row

how do you go about doing this? my lease is up in august and i don't want to pay more.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:55 am

Stringer6 wrote:

how do you go about doing this? my lease is up in august and i don't want to pay more.

by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 am

by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing

but really. did you write a letter?

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 am

Stringer6 wrote:
by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing

but really. did you write a letter?

Yup. I mentioned that the rent stabilized built in increase would actually raise my rent above what he could get for it if I left. I provided some examples of ads, etc. and brought up that I am a good tenant, etc. Try it out.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 pm

akcorps wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

by utilizing the same jedi mind tricks that allowed me to squeeze fordham for 19k a year after they initially gave me nothing.

HAO?!?!?!?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Gotti wrote:
akcorps wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

HAO?!?!?!?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”