Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:38 pm

akcorps wrote:
Gotti wrote:i cycle between coming to terms with the $200k+ debt I'm going to be incurring by attending Fordham and freaking out about it.

I'm currently freaking the fuck out, especially considering I'm not sure I want to do biglaw.

Seriously? If you don't mind my asking, then why Fordham? You could do PI or work in a smaller law firm/hang out your own shingle at another school that would offer you more aid than Fordham.

didn't apply to anywhere lower than fordham besides hastings and I didn't get $$ from them. Don't want to go to school in CA so i withdrew. Only school that gave me $$ is UMN and i don't want to live/work in the midwest for 3 years let alone the 5+ that I would be there since there is a very high probability that I won't get a job out of the midwest after graduation.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Gotti wrote:i cycle between coming to terms with the $200k+ debt I'm going to be incurring by attending Fordham and freaking out about it.

I'm currently freaking the fuck out, especially considering I'm not sure I want to do biglaw.

totally feel you on both points... you're not alone.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:10 pm

nematoad wrote:

it's good to know i'm not alone, for sure. nematoad sorry i haven't been following you--are you going to Fordham?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:12 pm

I feel you. I had my freakout a few days ago. I think I'd like to sit down with the PI person at Fordham. Talk to them about this stuff. So in case I DO want to do PI, that it's a possibility.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Gotti wrote:
nematoad wrote:

it's good to know i'm not alone, for sure. nematoad sorry i haven't been following you--are you going to Fordham?

nah it's cool, I'm a very flakey TLS user. It's looking more and more likely. I really liked Fordham when I visited. The vibe, the faculty, the support system, the people, ASD was really beyond what I had expected. I'm checking out Hastings this weekend (which i didnt really like when I visited in the Fall) and waiting for USC (which I don't really expect to bite). I think with Fordham the only thing I need to come to terms with is the possibility of not making it back home.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Would anyone care to give a rundown of the vibe/facilities/student body/surrounding area/etc from ASW for those of us who might be admitted (hopefully) last minute and were unable to attend for that reason?

Also - any thing they focused on heavily?
ie:
BU's ASD was pretty much all about how great the faculty was
W&M was all about their amazing courtroom

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 pm

aliarrow wrote:Would anyone care to give a rundown of the vibe/facilities/student body/surrounding area/etc from ASW for those of us who might be admitted (hopefully) last minute and were unable to attend for that reason?

ie:

sure. ASD was great! The faculty that spoke to us (2 speakers and 1 mock class prof) was AMAZING. Honestly I didn't expect that at ALL and my bf and I were both super duper impressed. The staff was very helpful and friendly (i mean but they kinda have to be...but again I didn't feel so much like that at the NYU ASD that I went to with my bf 2 days before). I met i think one 2L and he was very friendly and nice and answered all my questions thoroughly. I liked the vibe and I liked the fact that it was one building. Fordham is in a really sick location (Columbus circle) and I really liked that too.

I didn't like the building that much though :?
It is small and there's no FOOD or DRINKS allowed in the library which sucks because I know I'll be like living in there and will have to go outside to eat in between study sessions...sucks. The building is just...bleh. it's whatever.

I think that's the only thing I didn't like about the whole school. The vibe seems very friendly and the faculty seems extremely bright and engaging...Fordham's faculty is rated like top 10 in the country so I'm not surprised. Feel free to ask any other questions!

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

aliarrow wrote:Would anyone care to give a rundown of the vibe/facilities/student body/surrounding area/etc from ASW for those of us who might be admitted (hopefully) last minute and were unable to attend for that reason?

Sure. The area is great to the east (Lincoln Center, midtown, Columbus Circle, etc. etc.), boring to the west (hospital, John Jay College, housing, highway, river, etc.), great to the north (Upper West Side), corporate and touristy to the south (Times Square, midtown).

Students seem smart, professional, on-point, friendly.

The facilities are kind of outdated, institutional, looks like a high school sort of, nothing to speak of in my mind.

I thought the whole "feel" or "vibe" was really positive, professional, organized, friendly, and supportive. But, I went in January, others mileage may vary.

Edit: I personally think the emphasis is on their support of their students through alumni networks, information, track record, etc. I think the school takes a generalist approach and doesn't really look to emphasize one program over any other. That being said, when I was there the prof. who led the international law breakout talked about the opportunities that exist because of the Leitner Center, proximity to the UN, etc. But, then again the guy who heads the PI program talked that up, and the prof. who went over IP work talked about how strong that is.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Gotti wrote:

ie:

sure. ASD was great! The faculty that spoke to us (2 speakers and 1 mock class prof) was AMAZING. Honestly I didn't expect that at ALL and my bf and I were both super duper impressed. The staff was very helpful and friendly (i mean but they kinda have to be...but again I didn't feel so much like that at the NYU ASD that I went to with my bf 2 days before). I met i think one 2L and he was very friendly and nice and answered all my questions thoroughly. I liked the vibe and I liked the fact that it was one building. Fordham is in a really sick location (Columbus circle) and I really liked that too.

It is small and there's no FOOD or DRINKS allowed in the library which sucks because I know I'll be like living in there and will have to go outside to eat in between study sessions...sucks. The building is just...bleh. it's whatever.

I think that's the only thing I didn't like about the whole school. The vibe seems very friendly and the faculty seems extremely bright and engaging...Fordham's faculty is rated like top 10 in the country so I'm not surprised. Feel free to ask any other questions!

Not even Starbucks????? :shock:

Thanks for the summaries!

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Gotti wrote:

ie:

Where you in the tour group that someone asked about that?

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm

maglialoro wrote:
akcorps wrote:

Sure. The area is great to the east (Lincoln Center, midtown, Columbus Circle, etc. etc.), boring to the west (hospital, John Jay College, housing, highway, river, etc.), great to the north (Upper West Side), corporate and touristy to the south (Times Square, midtown).

Students seem smart, professional, on-point, friendly.

The facilities are kind of outdated, institutional, looks like a high school sort of, nothing to speak of in my mind.

I thought the whole "feel" or "vibe" was really positive, professional, organized, friendly, and supportive. But, I went in January, others mileage may vary.

Yea, the building is old but they are breaking ground on a new one that is supposed to be complete around the time we graduate

Well, if I stay in the evening program I think I might get to be in it for a year. All in all, it hardly seems like such a big deal, right? I guess it gets overcrowded, though.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I was told closed drinks are allowed. And people ALWAYS sneak in snacks. Pretty sure the no food thing is normal for EVERY library.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:
Gotti wrote:

ie:

Where you in the tour group that someone asked about that?

yup

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 pm

maglialoro wrote:I dont think its that big of a deal. I do know that the law school is connected to the undergrad but i dont think that the undergrads bother the law students too much

?? the undergrad campus is in the bronx. the LS stands alone.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Gotti wrote:
maglialoro wrote:I dont think its that big of a deal. I do know that the law school is connected to the undergrad but i dont think that the undergrads bother the law students too much

Fordham does have undergrad at their Lincoln center campus. Although most of the undergrad is in the bronx. In fact, the law school and undergrad dorms are the very same- law students live among undergrads.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

ie:

Not even Starbucks????? :shock:

Thanks for the summaries!

only in spillproof containers...she said that even sodas aren't allowed in closed water bottles??? i didn't want to ask why not at the risk of sounding like an idiot, but that seemed pretty stupid to me.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Gotti wrote:

Bummer... I was just reading an article in US Today about how promiscuous Fordham undergrad girls are, it has to do with the out of whack gender ratio there (and something about the recession; with more students being busier which is why campuses are even more promiscuous now than in 2000-ish).

MMags

Postby MMags » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Gotti wrote:

Nope. There are UGrads at Lincoln Center also.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:08 pm

MMags wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Nope. There are UGrads at Lincoln Center also.

oh you right. my bad!

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bummer... I was just reading an article in US Today about how promiscuous Fordham undergrad girls are, it has to do with the out of whack gender ratio there (and something about the recession; with more students being busier which is why campuses are even more promiscuous now than in 2000-ish).

fordham undergrad here--- Truth.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

WTF?! If anything its because they have a reputation for not being very bright, Catholic, and heavy drinkers. Fordham UG and LS are not the same thing at all. I worked with several FU UG girls and they were definitely into partying and I doubt any of them could have gotten into the LS. I really hope I do not have to deal with these students often or even at all. I honestly thought they were all in the Bronx.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

fordham undergrad here--- Truth.

gross lol

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:12 pm

akcorps wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

WTF?! If anything its because they have a reputation for not being very bright, Catholic, and heavy drinkers. Fordham UG and LS are not the same thing at all. I worked with several FU UG girls and they were definitely into partying and I doubt any of them could have gotten into the LS. I really hope I do not have to deal with these students often or even at all. I honestly thought they were all in the Bronx.

I appreciate your disdain for my existence! Carry on.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”