Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stringer6

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't want to be a pain, but it might be that taking an aggressive approach like leveraging your scholly from another school is a turn-off for the admissions department. At the ASD they were quite clear that they select the class based on a number of factors that include who you are in order to generate a well rounded class profile and keep the "friendly Fordham" experience.

you bought into this?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 pm

PM me your fb's as well...i'm 99.999% sure i'm going to Fordham :)

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:03 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm

I didn't think that was their actual response at first either, but when others alluded to unprofessional language, I started to wonder and thought "well, that would be a unique way of doing business... "

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:10 pm

haha, i was paraphrasing perhaps a bit negatively in my dissapointment. I was happy with their response and it wasnt rude or mean in any way.

:)

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm

i dumped facebook for twitter. much more entertaining and a great source of news. plus i don't have to be reminded of the existence of anyone i went to high school with.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
I don't want to be a pain, but it might be that taking an aggressive approach like leveraging your scholly from another school is a turn-off for the admissions department. At the ASD they were quite clear that they select the class based on a number of factors that include who you are in order to generate a well rounded class profile and keep the "friendly Fordham" experience.

you bought into this?

Yes. For a number of reasons. The first being that after seeing the approach of some other law schools, there does seem to be a different approach to their admissions. Another is that Fordham could probably game their numbers more than they do if they wanted to invest significant amounts of cash into the process (like Cardozo and BLS do). Additionally, awards at Fordham come without stipulations, unlike the ones from BLS and 'Dozo. Those stips require at least some measure of those who get schollys will lose at least some part of their funding. Not too friendly. Also I found students to be secure, confident, and open unlike some other schools which shall remain nameless. Bottom line I recognize it as being sales on some level, but in all seriousness, what's the point? Do you really think friendliness is going to be the thing that pushes the school over the top for some accepted candidate? I somehow doubt it.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Stringer6 wrote:plus i don't have to be reminded of the existence of anyone i went to high school with.

This is one of the main reasons I have FB--to comfort myself with the fact that no matter what poor decisions I make (re: law school), at least I'm not divorced with 3 kids at 23, 300 lbs, or living at home (though this might change once I graduate).

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Another is that Fordham could probably game their numbers more than they do if they wanted to invest significant amounts of cash into the process (like Cardozo and BLS do).

i think all schools do the same thing

Additionally, awards at Fordham come without stipulations, unlike the ones from BLS and 'Dozo. Those stips require at least some measure of those who get schollys will lose at least some part of their funding. Not too friendly.

well, BLS and Cardozo are also much more generous with scholarships in terms of both amounts given and number of scholarships awarded. they are lower ranked, so they need to attract students. i don't see how this isn't "friendly." i'm guessing fordham doesn't do stipulations bc they don't give out a lot of money and don't need to weed people out.

Also I found students to be secure, confident, and open unlike some other schools which shall remain nameless.

if you're referring to students at lower-ranked schools, it makes sense that fordham students are more secure and confident than them.

all that said, i'm sure fordham people are great, and i'm really looking forward to going there.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 pm

A lot of lower ranked schools who give scholarships with stipulations gyp you because they place a large number of those students into the same classes. So at least half will not be able to keep their school. I know for a fact St. John's had that scandal recently.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 pm

i hadn't heard about section stacking, but i think st. johns gives 50% or more of its students scholarships with top 40% stipulations, so...

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:46 pm

As does BLS and Cardozo. There is no way for everyone who has a scholarship with a top XX% stipulation to retain it even if no students without schollys break into the required percentage. As a result they may give out more in the first year, but by doing so only encourage more aggressive competition in schools where it is already going to be cut throat for post ls jobs. This just seems unnecessarily bad.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Stringer6 wrote:i hadn't heard about section stacking, but i think st. johns gives 50% or more of its students scholarships with top 40% stipulations, so...

That's quite different than placing all scholly students together and the 40% who didn't get anything together.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm

As does BLS and Cardozo. There is no way for everyone who has a scholarship with a top XX% stipulation to retain it even if no students without schollys break into the required percentage.

eh. i don't really have a problem with this. they are just trying to attract the best students. and it's not like it's any secret that these schools give a lot of scholarships and that you have to perform at a certain level to keep them.

As a result they may give out more in the first year, but by doing so only encourage more aggressive competition in schools where it is already going to be cut throat for post ls jobs. This just seems unnecessarily bad.

i wouldn't try harder or be any more competitive at one school over another.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I think it stands to reason that if they want a student so badly for their Fordham Friends or whatever they call the 1L class, then they should be prepared to fight for that student with other schools who they know are dangling cash. Would be kind of callous for them to handpick the 1L class then let select members of Fordham Friends be peeled off by Boston College schollys. That would suggest that the prospective students are all fungible to some extent, as long as their LSAT is within range, wouldn't it???

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 pm

The idea that Fordham kids are an ounce less competitive within the class and against other students, as compared to your average Brooklyn intra-class competitiveness, is ludicrous. If anything the Fordham kids are more clever and it thereby raises the bar.

People at schools who tell you the students are not extremely competitive either (1) struck out at OCI and no longer have hope of biglaw or (2) got biglaw and are therefore ignorant of what's going on at the lower levels of the class. There are also the kids who never wanted biglaw but they tend to have means so that they don't worry much about how they stand against their peers within a law school classroom.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:10 pm

MrAnon wrote:The idea that Fordham kids are an ounce less competitive within the class and against other students, as compared to your average Brooklyn intra-class competitiveness, is ludicrous. If anything the Fordham kids are more clever and it thereby raises the bar.

People at schools who tell you the students are not extremely competitive either (1) struck out at OCI and no longer have hope of biglaw or (2) got biglaw and are therefore ignorant of what's going on at the lower levels of the class. There are also the kids who never wanted biglaw but they tend to have means so that they don't worry much about how they stand against their peers within a law school classroom.

I don't think anyone is saying Fordham is less competitive. Or at least I'm not. Only that they don't do scholarship stacking in classes.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:12 pm

The idea that Fordham kids are an ounce less competitive within the class and against other students, as compared to your average Brooklyn intra-class competitiveness, is ludicrous.

i think the idea is that people at Fordham are less douchey and/or mean-spirited about it, not that they are less competitive. of course it's hard to know if this is true.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:16 pm

akcorps wrote:As does BLS and Cardozo. There is no way for everyone who has a scholarship with a top XX% stipulation to retain it even if no students without schollys break into the required percentage. As a result they may give out more in the first year, but by doing so only encourage more aggressive competition in schools where it is already going to be cut throat for post ls jobs. This just seems unnecessarily bad.

To be fair, Cardozo's stipulation is top 80%... That isn't really that crazy of a stipulation at all in my opinion. Of course I'd rather have no stips, but as far as stips goes, it seems to not be as bad as others, like SJU's top 40%.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:19 pm

To be fair, Cardozo's stipulation is top 80%

that's what mine was. and i don't think my BLS award had a stipulation.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 pm

i think the idea is that people at Fordham are less douchey and/or mean-spirited about it

On average they are more intelligent and probably more polished and this extends to social interactions. You'd see the same thing at any school further up the chain.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

On average they are more intelligent and probably more polished and this extends to social interactions. You'd see the same thing at any school further up the chain.

lolz

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Anyone going to the Women's event after admitted students day on the 2nd? Just got the email about it.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:22 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Anyone going to the Women's event after admitted students day on the 2nd? Just got the email about it.

nvm i just wrote a dumb question

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Anyone going to the Women's event after admitted students day on the 2nd? Just got the email about it.

I'd rather go to my own after party, rather than a law related one, where you have to behave, lolz.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”