Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
nyankees51
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nyankees51 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:16 pm

maglialoro wrote:So i put together what I thought was going to be an effective negotiation letter to get Fordham to match my BC. Just got a response that said "no thanks, we are good". Sucks because I really kinda sorta want to stay in NYC. Has anyone had success with Fordham as of yet?


Sorry to hear that. I had luck with them upping my scholly based on BC money but that was awhile ago they may just be out of money at this point.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Any wait listed applicants hear anything yet?

n_gal
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby n_gal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Any wait listed applicants hear anything yet?


Nothing here...I actually have an tour of the school scheduled for a few weeks from now, I was thinking about making an appt. to speak to someone in admissions to quickly ask if there was anything I could do personally to get off the waitlist as Fordham is my #1, does anyone have any experience with this? I'm kind of thinking it may be a bad idea but I'm not really sure

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm

n_gal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:Any wait listed applicants hear anything yet?


Nothing here...I actually have an tour of the school scheduled for a few weeks from now, I was thinking about making an appt. to speak to someone in admissions to quickly ask if there was anything I could do personally to get off the waitlist as Fordham is my #1, does anyone have any experience with this? I'm kind of thinking it may be a bad idea but I'm not really sure


Yes yes do it!!! Why would it be a bad idea to demonstrate how much you want to go to Fordham?

n_gal
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby n_gal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Gemini wrote:
n_gal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:Any wait listed applicants hear anything yet?


Nothing here...I actually have an tour of the school scheduled for a few weeks from now, I was thinking about making an appt. to speak to someone in admissions to quickly ask if there was anything I could do personally to get off the waitlist as Fordham is my #1, does anyone have any experience with this? I'm kind of thinking it may be a bad idea but I'm not really sure


Yes yes do it!!! Why would it be a bad idea to demonstrate how much you want to go to Fordham?


Well, when you put it that way....I guess I was just worried about annoying them, but I guess at this point I might as well just do it, what can it hurt right? Thanks!

youarereadingthis
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby youarereadingthis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:23 am

n_gal wrote:
Gemini wrote:
n_gal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:Any wait listed applicants hear anything yet?


Nothing here...I actually have an tour of the school scheduled for a few weeks from now, I was thinking about making an appt. to speak to someone in admissions to quickly ask if there was anything I could do personally to get off the waitlist as Fordham is my #1, does anyone have any experience with this? I'm kind of thinking it may be a bad idea but I'm not really sure


Yes yes do it!!! Why would it be a bad idea to demonstrate how much you want to go to Fordham?


Well, when you put it that way....I guess I was just worried about annoying them, but I guess at this point I might as well just do it, what can it hurt right? Thanks!


Admissions rep told me they haven't gone to the waitlist yet and don't intend to until at least April 15th. (I guess they want to finish their tax returns first?)

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5866
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:58 am

April 15th. (I guess they want to finish their tax returns first?)


first deposit due date

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am

Stringer6 wrote:
April 15th. (I guess they want to finish their tax returns first?)


first deposit due date

:lol: DUH.

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5866
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

DUH.


IS THIS "DUH" DIRECTED AT ME??

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 am

Stringer6 wrote:
DUH.


IS THIS "DUH" DIRECTED AT ME??


Nope.

mf980
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby mf980 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm

maglialoro wrote:So i put together what I thought was going to be an effective negotiation letter to get Fordham to match my BC. Just got a response that said "no thanks, we are good". Sucks because I really kinda sorta want to stay in NYC. Has anyone had success with Fordham as of yet?


The same thing happened to me.

The e-mail from the assistant Dean had a few typos and was less than professional.

I was disappointed with the language he used while handling my request.

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 pm

mf980 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:So i put together what I thought was going to be an effective negotiation letter to get Fordham to match my BC. Just got a response that said "no thanks, we are good". Sucks because I really kinda sorta want to stay in NYC. Has anyone had success with Fordham as of yet?


The same thing happened to me.

The e-mail from the assistant Dean had a few typos and was less than professional.

I was disappointed with the language he used while handling my request.


Wait, wait...

The response was literally -- verbatim -- "No thanks, we are good"?

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:23 pm

:? I've literally been bothering the office for several weeks now and have never had a problem with them, ie, they have never written to me "no thanks, we are good."

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5866
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm

"No thanks, we are good"



hard to believe

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby akcorps » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Look, I don't want to be a pain, but it might be that taking an aggressive approach like leveraging your scholly from another school is a turn-off for the admissions department. At the ASD they were quite clear that they select the class based on a number of factors that include who you are in order to generate a well rounded class profile and keep the "friendly Fordham" experience. I think opening a negotiation by telling someone you got a better offer from another school would be a little heavy handed, myself. If I was in charge I would also probably wish you luck at your other program and privately tell myself that it may have been the right choice to not give more aid. I know that sounds harsh, but you are trying to sell yourself as a better candidate not hashing out a diplomatic treaty. The point being that they have a larger pool of options to draw on than you do thus placing them in a better position. There is little to no incentive to give you more money unless you let them know you are bringing something to the table they previously overlooked.

play2win
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby play2win » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:01 pm

akcorps wrote:Look, I don't want to be a pain, but it might be that taking an aggressive approach like leveraging your scholly from another school is a turn-off for the admissions department. At the ASD they were quite clear that they select the class based on a number of factors that include who you are in order to generate a well rounded class profile and keep the "friendly Fordham" experience. I think opening a negotiation by telling someone you got a better offer from another school would be a little heavy handed, myself. If I was in charge I would also probably wish you luck at your other program and privately tell myself that it may have been the right choice to not give more aid. I know that sounds harsh, but you are trying to sell yourself as a better candidate not hashing out a diplomatic treaty. The point being that they have a larger pool of options to draw on than you do thus placing them in a better position. There is little to no incentive to give you more money unless you let them know you are bringing something to the table they previously overlooked.


Eh, it all comes down to how you write it I think. Obviously coming across as though the two schools should be bidding after your services is not the best approach. However, detailing your poor financial situation and how you favor Fordham over a school like BC but just can't afford to go without a similar price tag might work.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're in already, why not try to get more aid. If they say no, you weren't getting it anyway.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 pm

I told them in my most recent email of my offer from another school but I also reiterated that Fordham is my top choice. Honestly, I don't think any of my efforts will work (unfortunately). But I'll still try my best.

I'm just gonna have to work my ass off and WIN 1L because Fordham awards tuition scholarships to those who are the best in the class.

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby adevotchka » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Gemini wrote:I told them in my most recent email of my offer from another school but I also reiterated that Fordham is my top choice. Honestly, I don't think any of my efforts will work (unfortunately). But I'll still try my best.

I'm just gonna have to work my ass off and WIN 1L because Fordham awards tuition scholarships to those who are the best in the class.



Gemini, let me know if your approach works. I know Fordham is stingy as hell so I'm not even going to bother asking for merit aid.

So, I don't feel like starting a new thread (if one exists, please point me to it) but is anyone anxious/nervous about starting already? I love Fordham and just deposited (!) but I'm already stressing about loans (not long-term debt, just making sure I have enough money to pay my rent and eat), adjusting my lifestyle both monetarily and socially, giving up some great jobs, and, of course, doing well 1L. Anyone else feel this way? If not, just feed me lies. Sweet, sweet lies.

mf980
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby mf980 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:23 pm

fakemoney wrote:
mf980 wrote:
maglialoro wrote:So i put together what I thought was going to be an effective negotiation letter to get Fordham to match my BC. Just got a response that said "no thanks, we are good". Sucks because I really kinda sorta want to stay in NYC. Has anyone had success with Fordham as of yet?


The same thing happened to me.

The e-mail from the assistant Dean had a few typos and was less than professional.

I was disappointed with the language he used while handling my request.


Wait, wait...

The response was literally -- verbatim -- "No thanks, we are good"?


Not entirely, but the e-mail made it clear that Fordham has ranked its admitted students for financial aid (not a shocker, given different scholarship amounts), and if you fit into a certain rank, you aren't getting more money than they have already offered.

I'm not exaggerating, I'm just summarizing the response I received.

akcorps wrote:Look, I don't want to be a pain, but it might be that taking an aggressive approach like leveraging your scholly from another school is a turn-off for the admissions department. At the ASD they were quite clear that they select the class based on a number of factors that include who you are in order to generate a well rounded class profile and keep the "friendly Fordham" experience. I think opening a negotiation by telling someone you got a better offer from another school would be a little heavy handed, myself. If I was in charge I would also probably wish you luck at your other program and privately tell myself that it may have been the right choice to not give more aid. I know that sounds harsh, but you are trying to sell yourself as a better candidate not hashing out a diplomatic treaty. The point being that they have a larger pool of options to draw on than you do thus placing them in a better position. There is little to no incentive to give you more money unless you let them know you are bringing something to the table they previously overlooked.


I think I was pretty professional, and I had a few people (including my undergraduate advisor) look over my conversation to see if it was appropriate.

The Director of Admissions was very professional and courteous with her communication, and she even e-mailed me after midnight during our conversation--which I was impressed with.

I made my letter transparent, stating that I would like to attend Fordham, which is one of my top choices, and that I would like to stay in New York for Law School. I presented the scholarship offered by the school that I am weighing most heavily against Fordham so that they could see the difference in the cost of attendance and could use that as a measure to work with while addressing my request.

I'm still considering Fordham as much as I did before I received a discouraging e-mail from the Assistant Dean, but I am honestly disappointed with how they treated my concern.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 pm

adevotchka wrote:
Gemini wrote:I told them in my most recent email of my offer from another school but I also reiterated that Fordham is my top choice. Honestly, I don't think any of my efforts will work (unfortunately). But I'll still try my best.

I'm just gonna have to work my ass off and WIN 1L because Fordham awards tuition scholarships to those who are the best in the class.



Gemini, let me know if your approach works. I know Fordham is stingy as hell so I'm not even going to bother asking for merit aid.

So, I don't feel like starting a new thread (if one exists, please point me to it) but is anyone anxious/nervous about starting already? I love Fordham and just deposited (!) but I'm already stressing about loans (not long-term debt, just making sure I have enough money to pay my rent and eat), adjusting my lifestyle both monetarily and socially, giving up some great jobs, and, of course, doing well 1L. Anyone else feel this way? If not, just feed me lies. Sweet, sweet lies.


Daytime student??? PM your facebook, I'd love to friend you, future classmate! :)

As for the thread, there is a Fordham Class of 2014 thread out there.

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby adevotchka » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Gemini wrote:
adevotchka wrote:
Gemini wrote:I told them in my most recent email of my offer from another school but I also reiterated that Fordham is my top choice. Honestly, I don't think any of my efforts will work (unfortunately). But I'll still try my best.

I'm just gonna have to work my ass off and WIN 1L because Fordham awards tuition scholarships to those who are the best in the class.



Gemini, let me know if your approach works. I know Fordham is stingy as hell so I'm not even going to bother asking for merit aid.

So, I don't feel like starting a new thread (if one exists, please point me to it) but is anyone anxious/nervous about starting already? I love Fordham and just deposited (!) but I'm already stressing about loans (not long-term debt, just making sure I have enough money to pay my rent and eat), adjusting my lifestyle both monetarily and socially, giving up some great jobs, and, of course, doing well 1L. Anyone else feel this way? If not, just feed me lies. Sweet, sweet lies.


Daytime student??? PM your facebook, I'd love to friend you, future classmate! :)

As for the thread, there is a Fordham Class of 2014 thread out there.


PM'd! Hah-- I actually meant a thread for people who are anxious about starting LS this fall. I actually looked for one and couldn't find it. TLS is clearly made of steel and fears nothing.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

adevotchka wrote:So, I don't feel like starting a new thread (if one exists, please point me to it) but is anyone anxious/nervous about starting already? I love Fordham and just deposited (!) but I'm already stressing about loans (not long-term debt, just making sure I have enough money to pay my rent and eat), adjusting my lifestyle both monetarily and socially, giving up some great jobs, and, of course, doing well 1L. Anyone else feel this way? If not, just feed me lies. Sweet, sweet lies.


You are soooo not alone. I have a lot of the same concerns. I still haven't told my boss that I'm leaving yet, and that conversation alone is completely terrifying. I figured I'd wait until after I made a deposit, since I still feel like I might chicken out about this whole crazy law school thing.

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back about my email requesting more aid, but I read another poster's response and the tone was completely unprofessional. I think "no thanks" may actually have been a bit more polite.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 pm

There's a thread called something like "Tread your unworthy 1L fears here" or something but I think it's for those who are already in law school. If you don't want to be ridiculed by all of TLS, I would recommend for you to post in the Fordham threads regarding your worries, lol.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't want to be a pain, but it might be that taking an aggressive approach like leveraging your scholly from another school is a turn-off for the admissions department. At the ASD they were quite clear that they select the class based on a number of factors that include who you are in order to generate a well rounded class profile and keep the "friendly Fordham" experience. I think opening a negotiation by telling someone you got a better offer from another school would be a little heavy handed, myself.


These schools charge an astronomical amount of money to attend. And the belief that these schools are anything but a business is pretty naive. Lacking the gumption to broach the money subject? Good luck with that attorney job.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BuyaLittleMercy, hellohalo, lillawyer2, Nobiggie, Pomegranate27, premalone and 19 guests