Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gemini

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

It's not the hipsters I'm worried about in Washington Heights...

Also, compared to midtown and lower, you can still find cheaper rent relatively easily in UWS and Harlem/Morningside Heights.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Lawst wrote:
Gemini wrote:Harlem is basically fine. But NO WAY am I ever going up to Inwood/Wash heights. No no no.

Also, when you find a cheap apartment, check with the NYS Department to see if there are any violations for the address.

Eh, whatever you think is best for you. I lived on the Upper West Side for 10 years and I just moved to Inwood to prepare for my more frugal student lifestyle. My commute to 34th Street for work is about maybe 10 minutes more, but I pay about $400 less in rent for more space.

As a guy who has lived in NYC, I agree that definitely makes financial sense. However, I'm not sure I want a girl who has never had any exposure to NYC living in Washington Heights by herself.

I don't know, perhaps I'm over protective...

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm

columbia86 wrote:
Lawst wrote:
Gemini wrote:Harlem is basically fine. But NO WAY am I ever going up to Inwood/Wash heights. No no no.

Also, when you find a cheap apartment, check with the NYS Department to see if there are any violations for the address.

Eh, whatever you think is best for you. I lived on the Upper West Side for 10 years and I just moved to Inwood to prepare for my more frugal student lifestyle. My commute to 34th Street for work is about maybe 10 minutes more, but I pay about $400 less in rent for more space.

As a guy who has lived in NYC, I agree that definitely makes financial sense. However, I'm not sure I want a girl who has never had any exposure to NYC living in Washington Heights by herself.

I guess, though I'm a single woman and I feel pretty safe up here, but I have lived in NYC for some years. It has gotten more and more gentrified - well, my block can still a bit sketchy late at night, but I pay just under $1,000 for a huge 1BR, so it's to be expected.
When I moved to New York in my 20s I wanted to live near fun bars and restaurants, so I sucked up the higher rent for the experience, so I could understand that too. There is not as much to do up here, but I see that as good - fewer distractions. NYC feels like home for me now, though, so this just feels like a temporary move to save some money while I'm in school.
And yeah, you can definitely find cheaper on the UWS than $2K. The woman who took over my studio got it for about $1,500. I wanted to stay around $1,000 to keep my future debts low as I can without resorting to roommates.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:47 pm

adevotchka wrote:My application just went complete from 2/2 to 3/17. No word as to whether they are thinking about reviewing it but I think I made up my mind to pop by the admissions office tomorrow to hand deliver a copy of my loci. If I went today I'd be rejected flat out because I'm hungover as shit and look like I crawled out of a dumpster.

Is it generally considered normal/okay to do something like this? I was considering pulling a similar stunt, but didn't want to show up and have people looking at me like I'm there to rob the place or something.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:53 pm

fakemoney wrote:
adevotchka wrote:My application just went complete from 2/2 to 3/17. No word as to whether they are thinking about reviewing it but I think I made up my mind to pop by the admissions office tomorrow to hand deliver a copy of my loci. If I went today I'd be rejected flat out because I'm hungover as shit and look like I crawled out of a dumpster.

Is it generally considered normal/okay to do something like this? I was considering pulling a similar stunt, but didn't want to show up and have people looking at me like I'm there to rob the place or something.

That's not a bad idea and I may do the same. I remember when I toured in January, the admin officials said they were pretty open to dealing with students with questions, etc. I remember one (I can't remember which) saying that they know some schools want students to not bother them during the process, but that they don't do it that way.

denisea

Postby denisea » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Lawst wrote:
columbia86 wrote:
Lawst wrote:

I guess, though I'm a single woman and I feel pretty safe up here, but I have lived in NYC for some years. It has gotten more and more gentrified - well, my block can still a bit sketchy late at night, but I pay just under $1,000 for a huge 1BR, so it's to be expected.
When I moved to New York in my 20s I wanted to live near fun bars and restaurants, so I sucked up the higher rent for the experience, so I could understand that too. There is not as much to do up here, but I see that as good - fewer distractions. NYC feels like home for me now, though, so this just feels like a temporary move to save some money while I'm in school.
And yeah, you can definitely find cheaper on the UWS than $2K. The woman who took over my studio got it for about $1,500. I wanted to stay around $1,000 to keep my future debts low as I can without resorting to roommates.

If you act like you have common sense you can live anywhere in NYC. I have lived in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and UWS and have had no problems. I attend Columbia now and they tell the students not to even venture into Harlem b/c its dangerous. The only people I have ever heard of getting robbed or hurt were people drunk, walking around flashing money, iPhones, etc. It's not right, of course, but hey it happens all over the world.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:33 pm

WL via status checker. Applied 11/15.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 am

i plan to stay in brooklyn

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 am

Stringer6 wrote:i plan to stay in brooklyn

:shock: It would take me over an hour to get to Fordham if I stayed in Brooklyn, where I currently live. What neighborhood do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 am

It would take me over an hour to get to Fordham if I stayed in Brooklyn, where I currently live. What neighborhood do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want.

i live near the northern tip of Prospect Park. i commute to Penn Station for work now, so i don't think i'll mind staying on the train for an extra 2 or 3 stops. plus i like my apartment and my neighborhood.

edit: what about you?

soesghost

Postby soesghost » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:25 am

WL as of status checker 3/18 -

can anyone tell me what the likelihood is of an acceptance? This is the first response Ive gotten from any school, and I dont know much @ the process - also have apps in at Brooklyn and a few other places, mostly chosen for convenience around my work schedule. Fordham is my #1 choice, though, and I would much rather be there than anywhere else.

Any thoughts?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 am

Stringer6 wrote:
It would take me over an hour to get to Fordham if I stayed in Brooklyn, where I currently live. What neighborhood do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want.

i live near the northern tip of Prospect Park. i commute to Penn Station for work now, so i don't think i'll mind staying on the train for an extra 2 or 3 stops. plus i like my apartment and my neighborhood.

edit: what about you?

How long would that take you? I'll PM you my 'hood.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:36 am

This is my plan too... well, if they let me in, that is.

I love my neighborhood in Brooklyn and I really can't imagine moving back to Manhattan. The commute would def be a bit rough, but I kind of enjoy my train time.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am

currently it takes about 40-45ish mins door to door with no stops. so i guess the commute will be around 5-10 mins longer to fordham.

i agree with you about your location. i'd want to be closer.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am

Anyone planning on living in Jersey?
Last edited by eaglemuncher on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

aaaaaah wrote:

I love my neighborhood in Brooklyn and I really can't imagine moving back to Manhattan. The commute would def be a bit rough, but I kind of enjoy my train time.

You're probably a lock with those numbers. Is Fordham your first choice? I know a lot of people have a hard time passing up the full at Dozo/other schools that offer similar money (or no money) but are ranked higher.

FWIW, I live in the east village/Nolita area and pay around 1100. I've got a big bedroom (king sized), two roommates, and we have a backyard (though the apt is a little..."quirky"). Finding a cool/reasonably priced place in Manhattan is hard, but not impossible.

Also, is the Fordham law website/status checker down for anyone else? It's like they're purposefully being like "Yo, it's friday. Chill out."

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 am

adevotchka wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:

You're probably a lock with those numbers. Is Fordham your first choice? I know a lot of people have a hard time passing up the full at Dozo/other schools that offer similar money (or no money) but are ranked higher.

FWIW, I live in the east village/Nolita area and pay around 1100. I've got a big bedroom (king sized), two roommates, and we have a backyard (though the apt is a little..."quirky"). Finding a cool/reasonably priced place in Manhattan is hard, but not impossible.

Also, is the Fordham law website/status checker down for anyone else? It's like they're purposefully being like "Yo, it's friday. Chill out."

more like it's always down cause they constantly have website issues :|

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:13 am

how long have you or one of your roommates lived there? railroad apt?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 am

but I kind of enjoy my train time.

good for reading

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 am

Stringer6 wrote:

how long have you or one of your roommates lived there? railroad apt?

I've been there since September 2009 and moved in when it was an empty apartment. It's a basement apartment--my window looks into my roommate's bedroom (hello!) and our living room gets no light, but our backyard is pretty sweet (my two roommates have glass doors that open up to it). Think the apt is 1300 SQ FT. But we get brown water sometimes. And mice/rats that live in my walls that I can't get out no matter what.

Not railroad style, though. Honestly, I looked at RR apts when I moved to NYC and I was just like, "WUT." It's like, prepare to have your shame publicly broadcast to everyone who lives with you.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 am

adevotchka wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:

I... um... have no idea what my first choice is at this point. Fordham is definitely one of my top choices and I think there's a great chance I end up there if they do accept me, but there are soo many factors to consider. I'm putting off that decision for as long as possible. :) What are you thinking?

The website and checker are working for me.

spece212

Postby spece212 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:24 am

WL by status checker. Have these guys ever heard of e-mail!!!

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

I've been there since September 2009 and moved in when it was an empty apartment. It's a basement apartment--my window looks into my roommate's bedroom (hello!) and our living room gets no light, but our backyard is pretty sweet (my two roommates have glass doors that open up to it). Think the apt is 1300 SQ FT. But we get brown water sometimes. And mice/rats that live in my walls that I can't get out no matter what.

Not railroad style, though. Honestly, I looked at RR apts when I moved to NYC and I was just like, "WUT." It's like, prepare to have your shame publicly broadcast to everyone who lives with you.

sounds interesting. rats would freak me out, but i guess it's okay as long as they never get into the apt. do you have a cat? 1100 is a great price for a big bedroom in that location. do you have a good setup in the backyard, or is it the rats' domain?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:29 am

spece212 wrote:WL by status checker. Have these guys ever heard of e-mail!!!

Sorry! However, they will send you a letter in the mail. They just let you know via SC first.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:31 am

aaaaaah wrote: I'm putting off that decision for as long as possible.

Still, it's less than a month left till decision time. :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”