Fordham 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stringer6

Platinum

Re: Fordham 2011

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Turning your position back on you, why should a person with poor parents be afforded a free education and a person with rich parents not? Won't they both have the same income potential upon graduation? And won't they both have the same debt, given the rich parents won't help?
it's not a matter of "should." schools can't give need-based aid to everyone that "needs" it. parent income is the only way to determine need among a pool of similar applicants.

and i'm not morally against gotti getting anything, and i certainly understand her/him being frustrated with her/his situation.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 pm

If the poor parents of a child and the rich parents of a child both refuse to help pay for anything, then why should the "poor" child get more money? I don't see it as fair. At that point, it's the "rich" child who is at a disadvantage.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I see both points of the argument. Although my dad is very well off and reporting his income will get me 0 need-based aid, I am paying for every cent of law school on my own. But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out. I guess it makes sense both ways. I'm at a disadvantage in the sense that I won't get aid that I really do need based on my OWN salary, but I'm at more of an advantage because if push comes to shove, my dad could help me. Not saying that he will, but he definitely could.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 pm

did you ever hear William Shatner sing "Common People"? I love that song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

By the time I get out of law school, my parents will be retired and there's no way they'll be able to afford to help me out more than a few hundred dollars a month. On paper, they seem kinda well-off (not rich, not even close) but this financial aid crap doesnt take into account all the bills they have to pay every month.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Gemini wrote:By the time I get out of law school, my parents will be retired and there's no way they'll be able to afford to help me out more than a few hundred dollars a month. On paper, they seem kinda well-off (not rich, not even close) but this financial aid crap doesnt take into account all the bills they have to pay every month.
This is my dad too. My parents are divorced and I have two brothers under the age of 13 who live with my mom. My dad is remarried to a woman with 2 kids of her own. He's the primary breadwinner so he makes the payments on everything including basically supporting 7 people (well 6 because I'm on my own now) and paying alimony and child support and whatever. So most of his $$ goes into spending lol

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 pm

This is true however, there would be a number of students who would lie about their parents contribution.
exactly.

no one is saying the current situation is "fair." but there is no better way. there is no factor other than family income that can break the tie.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
This is true however, there would be a number of students who would lie about their parents contribution.
exactly.

no one is saying the current situation is "fair." but there is no better way. there is no factor other than family income that can break the tie.
I stirred up a hornets nest. Sorry about that.

My real message is just to play the hand your dealt as best you can. I just really don't think you are confined by the current rubric. Sell yourself and see where it leads you. It can't hurt. Someone with a 4.0 should be able to improve their ranking by showing some professional problem solving and assertiveness.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Has anybody who has been waitlisted heard anything back from fordham?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 pm

Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.
And there you have it.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.
And there you have it.
But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 am

Gotti wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
And there you have it.
I agree, but it COULD, and that's the point. For some, it cannot happen.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
And there you have it.
+1

I feel for Gotti, because I understand that she is not getting money from her parents no matter how much they make, but Pennypacker is right. When a school wants to determine need, it is based on the situation of not only the student, but their family. If it was based just on the student alone, nearly everyone would qualify for need because the vast majority of entering law students are not independently wealthy. For some students, their parents are capable of contributing and simply refuse. For others, their parents are completely incapable of contributing. There is absolutely no possible way for them to do so, so those students get the need based aid.

Gotti, I REALLY hope things work out for you. You seem to have your heart set on Fordham, so I hope they help you out and make a way for them to go.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
And there you have it.
+1
Also HEP, love the new tar.
Also, happy Friday - are you spending the weekend in the library like I am? Party down, stack 6.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 am

nygrrrl wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(
+1
Also HEP, love the new tar.
Also, happy Friday - are you spending the weekend in the library like I am? Party down, stack 6.
I will be there with bells on, both literally and figuratively.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote: I will be there with bells on, both literally and figuratively.
:lol: Bells? Really? Oh good - I'll know where you are, at any given moment. Can't wait to see how you'll be incorporating the bells... 8)

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote: +1

I feel for Gotti, because I understand that she is not getting money from her parents no matter how much they make, but Pennypacker is right. When a school wants to determine need, it is based on the situation of not only the student, but their family. If it was based just on the student alone, nearly everyone would qualify for need because the vast majority of entering law students are not independently wealthy. For some students, their parents are capable of contributing and simply refuse. For others, their parents are completely incapable of contributing. There is absolutely no possible way for them to do so, so those students get the need based aid.

Gotti, I REALLY hope things work out for you. You seem to have your heart set on Fordham, so I hope they help you out and make a way for them to go.
I know, I know. I get it, it just sucks for me. Anyway, thanks! I really hope I can leverage my $$ at UMN and my GW/BU acceptance with Fordham.

lunalovegood

New

Post by lunalovegood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:22 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Has anybody who has been waitlisted heard anything back from fordham?
nope i havent heard of anyone yet! supposedly they arent looking at their list until march though.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

You know, it would be great if I could get into Fordham. My family LOVES this school and they would be ecstatic if I were admitted, even if I didnt attend. How long was the wait after your first go complete for those of you admitted?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 pm

This is coming from someone who grew up very poor, in bad neighborhoods and without a lot of the things most people take for granted. If I could change my youth to growing up with rich parents in exchange for having to report their income on some financial aid form I would do it in a heart beat, quicker than that actually. I think sometimes people who come from parents with money should realize the inherent advantages to the situation and not just look at the negative points. This isn't directed at anyone in particular (esp. not you Gotti) but that's just my 2 cents.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:33 pm

In!

Edit: I got the email that I'm in. Anywhere I can go to check for $$?

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:This is coming from someone who grew up very poor, in bad neighborhoods and without a lot of the things most people take for granted. If I could change my youth to growing up with rich parents in exchange for having to report their income on some financial aid form I would do it in a heart beat, quicker than that actually. I think sometimes people who come from parents with money should realize the inherent advantages to the situation and not just look at the negative points. This isn't directed at anyone in particular (esp. not you Gotti) but that's just my 2 cents.
I'm also willing to wager that the "no difference" between a poor kid and a rich kid whose parents won't pay quickly becomes a "big difference" in the hypothetical in which both of them strike at OCI.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:This is coming from someone who grew up very poor, in bad neighborhoods and without a lot of the things most people take for granted. If I could change my youth to growing up with rich parents in exchange for having to report their income on some financial aid form I would do it in a heart beat, quicker than that actually. I think sometimes people who come from parents with money should realize the inherent advantages to the situation and not just look at the negative points. This isn't directed at anyone in particular (esp. not you Gotti) but that's just my 2 cents.
Yeah too bad the struggling middle class doesn't get much aid and doesn't really enjoy the privileges of being rich either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”