Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Turning your position back on you, why should a person with poor parents be afforded a free education and a person with rich parents not? Won't they both have the same income potential upon graduation? And won't they both have the same debt, given the rich parents won't help?


it's not a matter of "should." schools can't give need-based aid to everyone that "needs" it. parent income is the only way to determine need among a pool of similar applicants.

and i'm not morally against gotti getting anything, and i certainly understand her/him being frustrated with her/his situation.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 pm

If the poor parents of a child and the rich parents of a child both refuse to help pay for anything, then why should the "poor" child get more money? I don't see it as fair. At that point, it's the "rich" child who is at a disadvantage.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I see both points of the argument. Although my dad is very well off and reporting his income will get me 0 need-based aid, I am paying for every cent of law school on my own. But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out. I guess it makes sense both ways. I'm at a disadvantage in the sense that I won't get aid that I really do need based on my OWN salary, but I'm at more of an advantage because if push comes to shove, my dad could help me. Not saying that he will, but he definitely could.

User avatar
boozehound
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby boozehound » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 pm

did you ever hear William Shatner sing "Common People"? I love that song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gemini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

By the time I get out of law school, my parents will be retired and there's no way they'll be able to afford to help me out more than a few hundred dollars a month. On paper, they seem kinda well-off (not rich, not even close) but this financial aid crap doesnt take into account all the bills they have to pay every month.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Gemini wrote:By the time I get out of law school, my parents will be retired and there's no way they'll be able to afford to help me out more than a few hundred dollars a month. On paper, they seem kinda well-off (not rich, not even close) but this financial aid crap doesnt take into account all the bills they have to pay every month.

This is my dad too. My parents are divorced and I have two brothers under the age of 13 who live with my mom. My dad is remarried to a woman with 2 kids of her own. He's the primary breadwinner so he makes the payments on everything including basically supporting 7 people (well 6 because I'm on my own now) and paying alimony and child support and whatever. So most of his $$ goes into spending lol

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 pm

This is true however, there would be a number of students who would lie about their parents contribution.


exactly.

no one is saying the current situation is "fair." but there is no better way. there is no factor other than family income that can break the tie.

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
This is true however, there would be a number of students who would lie about their parents contribution.


exactly.

no one is saying the current situation is "fair." but there is no better way. there is no factor other than family income that can break the tie.


I stirred up a hornets nest. Sorry about that.

My real message is just to play the hand your dealt as best you can. I just really don't think you are confined by the current rubric. Sell yourself and see where it leads you. It can't hurt. Someone with a 4.0 should be able to improve their ranking by showing some professional problem solving and assertiveness.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Has anybody who has been waitlisted heard anything back from fordham?

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 pm

Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.


And there you have it.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.


And there you have it.

But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 am

Gotti wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.


And there you have it.

But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(


I agree, but it COULD, and that's the point. For some, it cannot happen.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.


And there you have it.

But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(


I agree, but it COULD, and that's the point. For some, it cannot happen.

+1

I feel for Gotti, because I understand that she is not getting money from her parents no matter how much they make, but Pennypacker is right. When a school wants to determine need, it is based on the situation of not only the student, but their family. If it was based just on the student alone, nearly everyone would qualify for need because the vast majority of entering law students are not independently wealthy. For some students, their parents are capable of contributing and simply refuse. For others, their parents are completely incapable of contributing. There is absolutely no possible way for them to do so, so those students get the need based aid.

Gotti, I REALLY hope things work out for you. You seem to have your heart set on Fordham, so I hope they help you out and make a way for them to go.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But I guess, when it comes down to it, I have a good enough relationship with my dad that if I was so poor on my own that I couldn't pay rent (let alone my bills/debt) he would help me out.


And there you have it.

But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(


I agree, but it COULD, and that's the point. For some, it cannot happen.

+1
Also HEP, love the new tar.
Also, happy Friday - are you spending the weekend in the library like I am? Party down, stack 6.

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 am

nygrrrl wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Gotti wrote:But it still sucks ass because this would never happen!!! :(


I agree, but it COULD, and that's the point. For some, it cannot happen.

+1
Also HEP, love the new tar.
Also, happy Friday - are you spending the weekend in the library like I am? Party down, stack 6.


I will be there with bells on, both literally and figuratively.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:I will be there with bells on, both literally and figuratively.

:lol: Bells? Really? Oh good - I'll know where you are, at any given moment. Can't wait to see how you'll be incorporating the bells... 8)

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:+1

I feel for Gotti, because I understand that she is not getting money from her parents no matter how much they make, but Pennypacker is right. When a school wants to determine need, it is based on the situation of not only the student, but their family. If it was based just on the student alone, nearly everyone would qualify for need because the vast majority of entering law students are not independently wealthy. For some students, their parents are capable of contributing and simply refuse. For others, their parents are completely incapable of contributing. There is absolutely no possible way for them to do so, so those students get the need based aid.

Gotti, I REALLY hope things work out for you. You seem to have your heart set on Fordham, so I hope they help you out and make a way for them to go.

I know, I know. I get it, it just sucks for me. Anyway, thanks! I really hope I can leverage my $$ at UMN and my GW/BU acceptance with Fordham.

lunalovegood
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby lunalovegood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:22 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Has anybody who has been waitlisted heard anything back from fordham?


nope i havent heard of anyone yet! supposedly they arent looking at their list until march though.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

You know, it would be great if I could get into Fordham. My family LOVES this school and they would be ecstatic if I were admitted, even if I didnt attend. How long was the wait after your first go complete for those of you admitted?

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 pm

This is coming from someone who grew up very poor, in bad neighborhoods and without a lot of the things most people take for granted. If I could change my youth to growing up with rich parents in exchange for having to report their income on some financial aid form I would do it in a heart beat, quicker than that actually. I think sometimes people who come from parents with money should realize the inherent advantages to the situation and not just look at the negative points. This isn't directed at anyone in particular (esp. not you Gotti) but that's just my 2 cents.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:33 pm

In!

Edit: I got the email that I'm in. Anywhere I can go to check for $$?

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Frankie55 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:This is coming from someone who grew up very poor, in bad neighborhoods and without a lot of the things most people take for granted. If I could change my youth to growing up with rich parents in exchange for having to report their income on some financial aid form I would do it in a heart beat, quicker than that actually. I think sometimes people who come from parents with money should realize the inherent advantages to the situation and not just look at the negative points. This isn't directed at anyone in particular (esp. not you Gotti) but that's just my 2 cents.


I'm also willing to wager that the "no difference" between a poor kid and a rich kid whose parents won't pay quickly becomes a "big difference" in the hypothetical in which both of them strike at OCI.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:This is coming from someone who grew up very poor, in bad neighborhoods and without a lot of the things most people take for granted. If I could change my youth to growing up with rich parents in exchange for having to report their income on some financial aid form I would do it in a heart beat, quicker than that actually. I think sometimes people who come from parents with money should realize the inherent advantages to the situation and not just look at the negative points. This isn't directed at anyone in particular (esp. not you Gotti) but that's just my 2 cents.


Yeah too bad the struggling middle class doesn't get much aid and doesn't really enjoy the privileges of being rich either.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The_Pluviophile and 6 guests