Fordham 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Re: Fordham 2011

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:has anyone filled out the fordham financial aid application? can't seem to find it on the admitted students website.

Yup. On the admitted students' page, click first years, then financial aid. The link is in the middle of a sentence half way down.

So, going back to this, I need to include parents' financial information on the Financial Aid Application??? Goddamnit.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 pm

maglialoro wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:has anyone filled out the fordham financial aid application? can't seem to find it on the admitted students website.

Yup. On the admitted students' page, click first years, then financial aid. The link is in the middle of a sentence half way down.

So, going back to this, I need to include parents' financial information on the Financial Aid Application??? Goddamnit.

yea, i just cant figure out how they expect us to do it early AND send in all the 2010 tax documents for it to be complete. You cant even file before mid Feb. Im just going to wait till then...any other suggestions?

? Sure you can; I filed my taxes and filled out my FAFSA on Sunday. One of my schools (I think OSU) has a 2/15 deadline for the FAFSA.

Now, if you have a slow employer, that's one thing, but you can probably look at your last paycheck of the year to get a pretty good idea.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:06 pm

I was more talking about how I just realized that Fordham requires you to report your parents' income on the Financial Aid package. There is absolutely no way that I am going to get any need-based aid from them if I report my dad's income, but he's not even paying for law school. Can I call them and tell them that?? This is so ridiculous--I feel like I'm going to get fucked over because of how much my dad makes and it's completely irrelevant because he's not helping me!!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm at work so can't look through the old pages (I already tried), but I got accepted last Tuesday and haven't received my packet yet (I'm in southern CA). How long after acceptance do you get scholarship information?

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:48 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Sun May 15, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I was more talking about how I just realized that Fordham requires you to report your parents' income on the Financial Aid package. There is absolutely no way that I am going to get any need-based aid from them if I report my dad's income, but he's not even paying for law school. Can I call them and tell them that?? This is so ridiculous--I feel like I'm going to get fucked over because of how much my dad makes and it's completely irrelevant because he's not helping me!!

most people entering law school have similar financial profiles. parents' incomes make the difference.

make your dad pay! :)

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
Gotti wrote:I was more talking about how I just realized that Fordham requires you to report your parents' income on the Financial Aid package. There is absolutely no way that I am going to get any need-based aid from them if I report my dad's income, but he's not even paying for law school. Can I call them and tell them that?? This is so ridiculous--I feel like I'm going to get fucked over because of how much my dad makes and it's completely irrelevant because he's not helping me!!

My .02., FWIW:

Do you file your taxes independently or does your dad claim you as a dependent? If you have been independent for however long FSA considers relevant, leave the field blank. When they ask say unknown. Tell them you dont think your dad is doing well because he won't help you financially.

I file as independent but my dad used to do my taxes. I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd round of taxes that I've been considered independent.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I posted this somewhere else but I feel like it's relevant here:

I'm not going to get any $$ from my parents for LS. Can I just tell a school that I am in contact with my parents but they are uncooperative and refuse to give me any of their tax information (even if it wasn't true)? I mean how can they check that, right?
Aside from this being a lie, would this be a viable option?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Gotti wrote:I posted this somewhere else but I feel like it's relevant here:

I'm not going to get any $$ from my parents for LS. Can I just tell a school that I am in contact with my parents but they are uncooperative and refuse to give me any of their tax information (even if it wasn't true)? I mean how can they check that, right?

Do you/did you/do you plan to live with your parents while you are out of school for the summer or break? In other words, did you list their address as a permanent residence?

From what I understand, law schools dont really get too involved with the particulars of why your parents wont give you aid unless it is because there is no money to give. They tend to reserve their merit aid for those who have absolutely no way to pay for school and who dont have anybody who is capable of paying either. Like the above posters mentioned, figure out what you can do to prove total independence and see if that helps.

I was told by an admissions official that "need" aid is for those who both have no personal money and come from families with no money either. But I would still make the effort to squeeze some our of Fordham.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:47 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Do you/did you/do you plan to live with your parents while you are out of school for the summer or break? In other words, did you list their address as a permanent residence?

From what I understand, law schools dont really get too involved with the particulars of why your parents wont give you aid unless it is because there is no money to give. They tend to reserve their merit aid for those who have absolutely no way to pay for school and who dont have anybody who is capable of paying either. Like the above posters mentioned, figure out what you can do to prove total independence and see if that helps.

I was told by an admissions official that "need" aid is for those who both have no personal money and come from families with no money either. But I would still make the effort to squeeze some our of Fordham.

My permanent address is not the same as my parents' address on this year's taxes. The thing is my parents are capable of paying but they won't. I'm on my own. Do you think it'd be unwise to say that they're uncooperative about their tax information and there's no way I can get it out of them because they're not paying?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Gotti wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

My permanent address is not the same as my parents' address on this year's taxes. The thing is my parents are capable of paying but they won't. I'm on my own. Do you think it'd be unwise to say that they're uncooperative about their tax information and there's no way I can get it out of them because they're not paying?

I would only say that they will not give you their tax information if that is really true. I personally would just explain the situation as it really is. I know that some students are selected for verification and MUST include the tax information of your parents before their financial aid is reinstated.

I am sure you are not the first student to come forth with parents who do not want to help you pay for school

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Well I'm out of here guys. Fordham waited me out (NY state school are beyond slow, looking at you Cornell). I'll be withdrawing today hopefully allow someone else to here back from them. Still can't believe they took this long. Congrats again Gotti maybe I'll see you at another ASW (since it seems like we apply to a lot of the same schools).

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Well I'm out of here guys. Fordham waited me out (NY state school are beyond slow, looking at you Cornell). I'll be withdrawing today hopefully allow someone else to here back from them. Still can't believe they took this long. Congrats again Gotti maybe I'll see you at another ASW (since it seems like we apply to a lot of the same schools).

Lol who cares about Fordham when you got Berkeley!! Congrats and good luck!

live2ride400

Postby live2ride400 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:32 pm

In tonight at 7PM via email. Submitted 11/24, third complete on 1/13. LSAT above 75th, GPA between median and 75th.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm

In via email!!!

PT.

3.0, 167, Hispanic URM.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Sun May 15, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am

Last edited by kublaikahn on Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:47 am

schools aren't dumb. they know why people would leave their parents' info blank...that's why they require it.

otherwise everyone, including people with wealthy parents, would leave the information blank so they could get need-based aid.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:50 pm

A student with wealthy parents who wont help needs it just as much as a student whose family is on welfare.

all depends on how you define "need." the way you define it, just about every student would receive need-based aid.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Sun May 15, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”