Fordham 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JenDarby

Diamond

Re: Fordham 2011

Post by JenDarby » Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 pm

jtgnyc wrote:How did you get need-based notification? Snail mail?

Thanks
It was sent through email as well!

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sun May 22, 2011 11:14 am

save the world wrote:
IH21 wrote:Those of you still waiting - check your status checkers. My ding was in there weeks before I got anything in the mail.
bah, still nothing!
Me neither, but it means we're still contenders. I got waitlisted in early March, so I guess they just haven't looked at my file again yet.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm

any WL movement?

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Mon May 23, 2011 12:41 pm

rocon7383 wrote:any WL movement?
yes.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Gemini wrote:
yes.
i meant within the last few days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool567

New

Post by lawschool567 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:28 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
yes.
i meant within the last few days.
At least one person was accepted off the WL into the FT program on Friday (see earlier blog posts for confirmation). LSN has not been updated with any WL admits for the past week. It seems like they are slowly accepting off the WL.

quantumk

New

Post by quantumk » Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

HI everyone,

I have still yet to hear from fordham. I don't believe I'm on the WL .. just a regular applicant waiting for a response..

Is there anyone else out there who is waiting for a regular, non-WL response from fordham?

Also, we hear about people getting accepted, but has anyone actually gotten rejected in recent times?

cmr24

New

Post by cmr24 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I am in the same boat. I haven't heard from Fordham yet at all. My review date was updated from early March to late April but that's the only thing that's changed on my status checker. I tried to go back and see if people had been rejected in the "second" cycle (from March onwards) and it seems like a few people were denied. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Definitely a bizarre delay that will hopefully be decided soon.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 pm

That happened to me I called then they rejected me... applied aug...complete early, new complete march.... called...new complte april deny

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 pm

leefair123 wrote:That happened to me I called then they rejected me... applied aug...complete early, new complete march.... called...new complte april deny

that's cold.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 pm

agreed... since I called and was yelled out then she looked up my file and was like i will have the dean call you immediately...called and was like i promise you will have a decision that friday...denied...booo

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:54 pm

On a happy note good luck all that are waiting!!!!

lawschool567

New

Post by lawschool567 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Can anyone confirm when the second deposit deadline is?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue May 24, 2011 5:54 pm

lawschool567 wrote:Can anyone confirm when the second deposit deadline is?
6/1

lawschool567

New

Post by lawschool567 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Gotti wrote:
lawschool567 wrote:Can anyone confirm when the second deposit deadline is?
6/1
Here's to hoping that we get a wave of WL acceptances in early June ...

play2win

New

Post by play2win » Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Anybody looking for a roommate? I just got accepted I can't believe it - but now I don't know what to do about housing. Well, if anybody has any ideas or suggestions for me I'd really appreciate it. PM me if you're interested in getting a place or already have one and are looking for another person.

cmr24

New

Post by cmr24 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 am

play2win wrote:Anybody looking for a roommate? I just got accepted I can't believe it - but now I don't know what to do about housing. Well, if anybody has any ideas or suggestions for me I'd really appreciate it. PM me if you're interested in getting a place or already have one and are looking for another person.

When did you find out you were accepted? Were you formally WL'd or did it just go right to accepted?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 am

play2win wrote:Anybody looking for a roommate? I just got accepted I can't believe it - but now I don't know what to do about housing. Well, if anybody has any ideas or suggestions for me I'd really appreciate it. PM me if you're interested in getting a place or already have one and are looking for another person.
Hi! First, congrats! Second, find the facebook group. It's FULL of people looking for roommates. :) (although there is really only about 1/5 or 1/6 of the class in the group)

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed May 25, 2011 10:17 am

Does anyone know if there are any apartments that don't require 2 months rent to move in? I'm not sure if I can come up with $2-3k for that by August.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 am

aliarrow wrote:Does anyone know if there are any apartments that don't require 2 months rent to move in? I'm not sure if I can come up with $2-3k for that by August.
Craigslist seems like a good place to start, no? Some apartments are requiring first + deposit only.

IH21

New

Post by IH21 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:38 am

Gemini wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Does anyone know if there are any apartments that don't require 2 months rent to move in? I'm not sure if I can come up with $2-3k for that by August.
Craigslist seems like a good place to start, no? Some apartments are requiring first + deposit only.
As someone who has lived on Manhattan for about four years now, that is how every apartment I've had has worked. Up front all you need is 1st month's rent (in full, even if you are moving in halfway through the month) and a security deposit which usually equals a month's rent.

That said, for almost all places in Manhattan, one month's rent + security deposit in same amount will get you to at least 2K, likely more.

--------------------------------------

Those looking on craigslist, be careful. Especially if you don't live in the area and can't check the places out yourself. Pictures can be deceiving, there are a lot of weird people in NYC just waiting to be your roommate, etc. I suggest craigslist only if you are looking for something temporary (a few months sublet).

If you plan on living in NYC through the whole three years, it would probably be easiest to lease (all residential leases I've ever had were one year) a place directly from a management company. For anyone not from NYC beware at how expensive it is. I live in a walk-up very small one bedroom and the rent is around $1525/mo (electricity included) and that's considered a steal. Multiple bedrooms with roommates makes it cheaper per person, but it can also make the experience miserable if you are living with the wrong people as you do have to share common areas (bathrooms!) and have to rely on each other to pay the bills timely.

Good luck to anyone looking to find a place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 am

IH21 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
As someone who has lived on Manhattan for about four years now, that is how every apartment I've had has worked. Up front all you need is 1st month's rent (in full, even if you are moving in halfway through the month) and a security deposit which usually equals a month's rent.

That said, for almost all places in Manhattan, one month's rent + security deposit in same amount will get you to at least 2K, likely more.

--------------------------------------

Those looking on craigslist, be careful. Especially if you don't live in the area and can't check the places out yourself. Pictures can be deceiving, there are a lot of weird people in NYC just waiting to be your roommate, etc. I suggest craigslist only if you are looking for something temporary (a few months sublet).

If you plan on living in NYC through the whole three years, it would probably be easiest to lease (all residential leases I've ever had were one year) a place directly from a management company. For anyone not from NYC beware at how expensive it is. I live in a walk-up very small one bedroom and the rent is around $1525/mo (electricity included) and that's considered a steal. Multiple bedrooms with roommates makes it cheaper per person, but it can also make the experience miserable if you are living with the wrong people as you do have to share common areas (bathrooms!) and have to rely on each other to pay the bills timely.

Wow thanks for the advice, that's helpful.

I was referring to Craigslist in regard to the 2 months rent (deposit + 1st months, all due before loan $$$ comes in). If I can't come up with enough maybe I'll just see if I can sublease a place for a month until loan money comes in... But then I'd be at a disadvantage with finding another Fordham Law roommate :|

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 am

IH21 wrote: If you plan on living in NYC through the whole three years, it would probably be easiest to lease (all residential leases I've ever had were one year) a place directly from a management company. For anyone not from NYC beware at how expensive it is. I live in a walk-up very small one bedroom and the rent is around $1525/mo (electricity included) and that's considered a steal. Multiple bedrooms with roommates makes it cheaper per person, but it can also make the experience miserable if you are living with the wrong people as you do have to share common areas (bathrooms!) and have to rely on each other to pay the bills timely.

This sounds good but where do I find a list of these places?

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Wed May 25, 2011 10:56 am

Gemini wrote:
IH21 wrote: If you plan on living in NYC through the whole three years, it would probably be easiest to lease (all residential leases I've ever had were one year) a place directly from a management company. For anyone not from NYC beware at how expensive it is. I live in a walk-up very small one bedroom and the rent is around $1525/mo (electricity included) and that's considered a steal. Multiple bedrooms with roommates makes it cheaper per person, but it can also make the experience miserable if you are living with the wrong people as you do have to share common areas (bathrooms!) and have to rely on each other to pay the bills timely.

This sounds good but where do I find a list of these places?
http://www.streeteasy.com

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”