Fordham 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eel7566

New

Re: Fordham 2011

Post by eel7566 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Fordham? My second complete was 3/14 and I haven't heard anything since.
Same here, second complete date of 3/14. It sort of feels like a soft waitlist at this point. Hopefully we'll hear soon. That's what I keep telling myself.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Please update the TLS Class of 2014 thread when you've made your decision! :)

Perplexed Penguin

New

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:31 pm

eel7566 wrote:
Perplexed Penguin wrote:Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Fordham? My second complete was 3/14 and I haven't heard anything since.
Same here, second complete date of 3/14. It sort of feels like a soft waitlist at this point. Hopefully we'll hear soon. That's what I keep telling myself.
Glad I'm not the only one. I feel the same way. Like they are waiting to see how many people deposit before they make an offer.

eel7566

New

Post by eel7566 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:
eel7566 wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one. I feel the same way. Like they are waiting to see how many people deposit before they make an offer.
Exactly. If the deposit date is today (is it?) then our fate should be decided soon.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Gotti wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:Can I get this thread's opinion on something? I work not too far from Fordham, and am wondering what people might think if I personally dropped off a LOCI at the Admissions office. Would that be strange? Helpful? Neutral?

Thanks for the input!
def helpful. chat them up so they can put a face to a name!
This. There's a good chance the woman at the desk will take it from you and you won't get any face time, but I still think it matters. (Also, you can follow up later on with, "when I came to the Admissions office to drop off my LOCI..." or similar 8) )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Withdrawn- good luck!

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Deuce wrote:Withdrawn- good luck!
+1, hated to see it go

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:07 am

I'm about this close to withdrawing from the waitlist. Fordham was my top choice from the start, but while I've been chilling on the bench over here, Rutgers has been winning me over. They've offered me enough scholarship - plus in-state tuition if I move across the river before classes start - that I could go there for about 1/4 of what I'd pay for Fordham. Also, I like the school. It was one of my safeties, but upon further inspection, it seems like a good, solid regional state school.

I mean, obviously Fordham is a better school, but for a non-traditional student like me who's going to be 40 at graduation and planning to go into public-interest law, does it matter? Is it really worth 4X the price?

Moving to North Jersey is a whole other matter - I've made peace with that and am seeing it as a three-year retreat of sorts. I will be back in New York, period, even if I end up initially working in Jersey and commuting from the city.

I'm musing over this in the thread in case anyone has been in this situation and has some insight to share. Also, I need to write about it to figure out why I'm not making the obvious logical choice, or at least what seems like the most logical - letting Fordham go. Some of these schools just stick in your craw, you know?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

play2win

New

Post by play2win » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 am

Lawst wrote:I'm about this close to withdrawing from the waitlist. Fordham was my top choice from the start, but while I've been chilling on the bench over here, Rutgers has been winning me over. They've offered me enough scholarship - plus in-state tuition if I move across the river before classes start - that I could go there for about 1/4 of what I'd pay for Fordham. Also, I like the school. It was one of my safeties, but upon further inspection, it seems like a good, solid regional state school.

I mean, obviously Fordham is a better school, but for a non-traditional student like me who's going to be 40 at graduation and planning to go into public-interest law, does it matter? Is it really worth 4X the price?

Moving to North Jersey is a whole other matter - I've made peace with that and am seeing it as a three-year retreat of sorts. I will be back in New York, period, even if I end up initially working in Jersey and commuting from the city.

I'm musing over this in the thread in case anyone has been in this situation and has some insight to share. Also, I need to write about it to figure out why I'm not making the obvious logical choice, or at least what seems like the most logical - letting Fordham go. Some of these schools just stick in your craw, you know?
I won't dissuade you from going to Fordham, but you definitely brought up some factors that are worth considering. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but is debt worth it at this stage in your life? Also, decent regional schools seem to place into the public sector comparably well against some of the higher ranked schools, which are ranked so because of their ability to place well into high-paying big law.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 am

Lawst wrote:I'm about this close to withdrawing from the waitlist. Fordham was my top choice from the start, but while I've been chilling on the bench over here, Rutgers has been winning me over. They've offered me enough scholarship - plus in-state tuition if I move across the river before classes start - that I could go there for about 1/4 of what I'd pay for Fordham. Also, I like the school. It was one of my safeties, but upon further inspection, it seems like a good, solid regional state school.

Sounds like Rutgers would be the sound choice in your case. Taking on 200k debt with PI as your goal means 10 year IBR to pay off debt. Which means you're going to be 50 by the time you have a clean slate. Hmm.

Edit: No conflict of interest here. Withdrew from Fordham already.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 am

Good points from both of you. Fordham was the school I had in mind when I began this whole process of going to law school, but so many things can change as you go through it. I've already withdrawn from five schools and one waitlist. All signs point toward Newark - a phrase that I can honestly say that I never thought I would say/type, but there's a reason for every detour.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Lawst wrote:Good points from both of you. Fordham was the school I had in mind when I began this whole process of going to law school, but so many things can change as you go through it. I've already withdrawn from five schools and one waitlist. All signs point toward Newark - a phrase that I can honestly say that I never thought I would say/type, but there's a reason for every detour.
I think you have the right plan for PI Rutgers is very solid, and no need to pay cost when regional schools place similarly across the line. The hardest part to stomach is Newark :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Just got in! I know I deposited at BU and all.... but this is tempting ....

otterpotter

New

Post by otterpotter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:52 pm

aliarrow wrote:Just got in! I know I deposited at BU and all.... but this is tempting ....
go to BU :D

yeahyeah2121

New

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

does anyone know if there has been movement on the part-time waitlist? i'm not holding my breath my a miracle would be nice

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

aliarrow wrote:Just got in! I know I deposited at BU and all.... but this is tempting ....
Grats.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Perplexed Penguin

New

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:59 pm

I just got in. Is there any chance at money or would that have been in the email? I want to be in NYC but I don't know that I can justify spending 90k more than I would at Illinois.

eel7566

New

Post by eel7566 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:I just got in. Is there any chance at money or would that have been in the email? I want to be in NYC but I don't know that I can justify spending 90k more than I would at Illinois.
Congrats Penguin! Did you never get a third complete date? I don't have any answers about money, but good luck to you, wherever you choose!

patallica22

New

Post by patallica22 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:19 pm

Just got in as well.... thank goodness I finally have legitimate options.

I know everyone is asking this, but have folks usually received fiancial aid/merit info with the acceptance offer?

Congrats to you guys, and best of luck to folks still waiting...

Perplexed Penguin

New

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:19 pm

eel7566 wrote:
Perplexed Penguin wrote:I just got in. Is there any chance at money or would that have been in the email? I want to be in NYC but I don't know that I can justify spending 90k more than I would at Illinois.
Congrats Penguin! Did you never get a third complete date? I don't have any answers about money, but good luck to you, wherever you choose!
Thanks! I got my third complete late yesterday afternoon. I literally made my commitment to Illinois an hour ago and had given up on Fordham. This is going to be a real tough decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:
eel7566 wrote:
Thanks! I got my third complete late yesterday afternoon. I literally made my commitment to Illinois an hour ago and had given up on Fordham. This is going to be a real tough decision.
Putting that username to good use :D

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lolek

New

Post by Lolek » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:27 pm

I just got into Fordham, and this was my top choice from the start also. However, I'm in the same situation as you with Rutgers...except I'm not interested in public interest. I'm leaning towards Corporate Law...but not 100% set on that yet.

What do you all think you would do in this situation? We're talking sticker at Fordham vs. chump change at Rutgers (well, chump change comparably to the first option)

I've gotten a good scholly at RU that I'm still going to haggle over, but the point is...I have quite a dilemma on my hands.

I am scared to pass up not going to Fordham, as it's my dream school. On the other hand, I'm scared to death of coming out of Fordham with 150k debt + undergrad debt and possibly not making it big (we've all heard the stories of law schools and jobs nowadays). It's very tough for me to think about...

Do you take the safe route, or do you take the plunge?

P.S.
For those going to Fordham, are you commuting or living around the area? I live close, but I can't imagine commuting in every day when I know we'll all be swamped with work.

abc14

New

Post by abc14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:52 pm

About a day after I was admitted, I e-mail my scanned Fordham Financial Aid app a non-specific inquiry asking to be considered for aid and alluding to other deposit deadlines. I got an email about merit scholly about 5 days later. Getting a response about need-based aid took an additional 2 weeks (so ~3 weeks after my Fordham Financial Aid app was submitted). Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”