Fordham 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stringer6

Platinum

Re: Fordham 2011

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am

I appreciated how frank the financial aid presenter was -- he said that if you're not absolutely sure of what you want to do with your JD, consider a cheaper school.
did the person mean "if you're not sure you want to be a lawyer..."?

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 am

Stringer6 wrote:
I appreciated how frank the financial aid presenter was -- he said that if you're not absolutely sure of what you want to do with your JD, consider a cheaper school.
Exactly. I spoke to him a little about it and basically he said that there are too many people who go to law school for the prospect of making money or because they don't know what else to do. Going to law school is no longer a safe bet--maybe a few decades ago it was-- but now it's just too expensive for you not to be absolutely sure that you want to be a lawyer.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 am

Sorry I was unable to stop by the ASD on Saturday and meet those of you who were there, but I got caught up in brief-writing hell on stack 6. But I'm glad to see that most of you enjoyed it and got a good impression of the school. As always, if you have any questions, please send them along and I'll do what I can to answer.

And for those of you still on the fence, the Knicks just got Melo and will hopefully be a contender next year. MSG is just a few short subway stops away...

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Sorry I was unable to stop by the ASD on Saturday and meet those of you who were there, but I got caught up in brief-writing hell on stack 6. But I'm glad to see that most of you enjoyed it and got a good impression of the school. As always, if you have any questions, please send them along and I'll do what I can to answer.

And for those of you still on the fence, the Knicks just got Melo and will hopefully be a contender next year. MSG is just a few short subway stops away...
++1

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Sorry I was unable to stop by the ASD on Saturday and meet those of you who were there, but I got caught up in brief-writing hell on stack 6. But I'm glad to see that most of you enjoyed it and got a good impression of the school. As always, if you have any questions, please send them along and I'll do what I can to answer.

I'm excited to go to the garden in all my lakers gear for a LA/NY game and watch us dominate the knicks 8) [hopefully i don't get my ass kicked]

Although I will say, Billups and Melo are fierce additions to your squad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 am

Gotti wrote:

I'm excited to go to the garden in all my lakers gear for a LA/NY game and watch us dominate the knicks 8) [hopefully i don't get my ass kicked]

I usually show you love Gotti, but on this one i will say,... WAKE UP! the lake show is sinking NYC has risen!!!! you guys better hope to get howard next summer or kobe's knees wont hold up much longer!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

blacklawboss wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I usually show you love Gotti, but on this one i will say,... WAKE UP! the lake show is sinking NYC has risen!!!! you guys better hope to get howard next summer or kobe's knees wont hold up much longer!
lulz hit me up when NY doesn't make it out of the playoffs and after the 3peat, k? :)

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

Gotti wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
Gotti wrote:

lulz hit me up when NY doesn't make it out of the playoffs and after the 3peat, k? :)
even better hit you up when san antonio or dallas knocks you out of the playoffs! and I will prob see you on campus in the village :D

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. I spoke to him a little about it and basically he said that there are too many people who go to law school for the prospect of making money or because they don't know what else to do. Going to law school is no longer a safe bet--maybe a few decades ago it was-- but now it's just too expensive for you not to be absolutely sure that you want to be a lawyer.
okay. that's different from saying that you should be absolutely sure what you want to do with your JD. i agree that you should definitely want to be a lawyer (duh).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

okay. that's different from saying that you should be absolutely sure what you want to do with your JD. i agree that you should definitely want to be a lawyer (duh).
I think he phrased it correctly by saying "know what you want to do with your JD" because Fordham. particularly Fordham's evening division, has a lot of working professionals whose employers see a value-add in a JD. People with Wall St experience do sometimes go to law school (whether FT or PT) and then return to Wall St at a higher level and never practice law.
It's just not a good idea to go to law school if you have no clue what you want to do with it.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
Gotti wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
Gotti wrote: I'm excited to go to the garden in all my lakers gear for a LA/NY game and watch us dominate the knicks 8) [hopefully i don't get my ass kicked]

even better hit you up when san antonio or dallas knocks you out of the playoffs! and I will prob see you on campus in the village :D
SAN ANTONIO OR DALLAS?!?!?! :? lolwut?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm

It's just not a good idea to go to law school if you have no clue what you want to do with it.
I'd like to say that going to Yale law school is a good idea even if you have no clue what you want to do with it.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 pm

agreed. but there is a big difference b/w "no clue what you want to do" and absolutely sure what you want to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
I'd like to say that going to Yale law school is a good idea even if you have no clue what you want to do with it.
I know too many people who regret going to law school to agree with that.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Lwoods wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Know any who went to Yale who regret it?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:03 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Know any who went to Yale who regret it?
you can go to Yale, get a high paying job, and still hate what you do and regret not doing something else.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm

you can go to Yale, get a high paying job, and still hate what you do and regret not doing something else.
This applies to just about anything. You can ____ get a high paying ____ and still hate what you do and regret not doing ____.

Thing with going to Yale law school is that even if you regret it, you can pay off all debts relatively soon with a pretty much guaranteed biglaw job and then have something else to pursue.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

This applies to just about anything. You can ____ get a high paying ____ and still hate what you do and regret not doing ____.

Thing with going to Yale law school is that even if you regret it, you can pay off all debts relatively soon with a pretty much guaranteed biglaw job and then have something else to pursue.
well that's 3 years of school, plus however many years to pay off your debt, just to do something else? Seems to me like it would just be easier not to go.

I'm not saying going to Yale is bad decision, but if you don't know what you want to do, there are better things to do with 3 years and 150+K than law school

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:52 pm

I was obsessively checking my status checkers at work and my fordham one literally just within the last 15 minutes from complete on 01/14 to complete 2/22...what's it mean??

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm

just within the last 15 minutes from complete on 01/14 to complete 2/22...what's it mean??
you're the next contestant on The Price Is Right!

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:35 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:I was obsessively checking my status checkers at work and my fordham one literally just within the last 15 minutes from complete on 01/14 to complete 2/22...what's it mean??
I think they have several internal updates...mine changed from 1/14 to 2/15 last week. Has anyone gotten a sense of how many times it changes before decisions are made?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

peaches2132

New

Post by peaches2132 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

Of course he meant being sure you want the JD (and be sure you want to be a lawyer), but he talked about some law students who don't have a good grasp of what kind of law they want to practice (and therefore, probably not a really strong certainty that they do in fact want to be a lawyer). I think it's good advice for any school you'd be paying full price for; if you don't have a very directed goal that requires the resources/programs of a particular school, think long and hard about taking out $200k+ in loans. Especially for a school that doesn't have the job success rate (or near-guarantee) of the top-top schools, if you will.

Again, just my thoughts and what I took away from the day. I'm really glad I went and have more to mull over. It was a great event and I do like Fordham a lot.

ls24

New

Post by ls24 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:I was obsessively checking my status checkers at work and my fordham one literally just within the last 15 minutes from complete on 01/14 to complete 2/22...what's it mean??
I was updated today too..

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Chris Ross wrote:
I think they have several internal updates...mine changed from 1/14 to 2/15 last week. Has anyone gotten a sense of how many times it changes before decisions are made?
mine changed 3 times. the last one was 1/13 and i got my acceptance 2/1

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:18 pm

ls24 wrote:
I was updated today too..
Yep, me too. I was complete 1/18 or so and finally got my second update today. I'm hoping update three comes soon and goes in my favor... 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”