Fordham 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtgnyc

New

Re: Fordham 2011

Post by jtgnyc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm

In today via email!!

Submitted 11/5.
Thanks! Very excited.

last complete 3/24, I think.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 pm

jtgnyc wrote:
In today via email!!

Submitted 11/5.
Thanks! Very excited.

last complete 3/24, I think.
Beautiful my last complete 3/28 there's hope for tomorrow or next week. Congrats again. Are you going to attend?

JB90

New

Post by JB90 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Is there a dress code for ASD?

cr1stina

New

Post by cr1stina » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 pm

Has anyone looked into housing yet? I have to figure out by tomorrow if I will be attending Fordham.

I've been looking online but don't even know exactly what to look for in terms of areas, what i should expect to pay, do most people have roommates, how do i find one, etc...

I've been searching past posts but can't seem to find anything significant

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

You're obviously not from NYC, lol. If you are in such a rush to decide, you should've asked this question earlier.

Do NOT get a Fordham dorm. It's 1600 a month and it comes with 2 roommates. Blech. You can get a place by yourself for $1600. If you want a roommate, use craigslist or talk to other accepted students and see who is looking for a roommate.

The only benefit I hear about for the dorms is how the buildings are all connected and you don't even step outside to get to class. (Good for those snow and frigidly cold days)

Stay on the West Side of Manhattan, particularly along the 1/2/3 subway lines. Upper West Side/Harlem is cheapest. I would not recommend Washington Heights/Inwood to ANYONE. HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cr1stina

New

Post by cr1stina » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Yeah...the reason I'm in a rush and asking now is because I never expected to get in and I have a deposit due tomorrow at UF so I pretty much have to make a decision tonight.

I really want to go to Fordham and they gave me a $20k/yr scholarship. The thing is that I don't know where to start with housing and I know I definitely can't find anything tonight but I wanted to get a better picture of everything.

What does a typical student pay in rent? Do most students find roommates in craigslist? I feel like its kind of sketchy sometimes. I've also heard of other things that go along with renting in ny like needing a co-signer or a certain level of income and I'm not really familiar with any of those things neither.

I wouldn't mind living with a roommate if it means saving money. Also, I know some students commute but I dont know what other neighborhoods are ok to live in.....bah I'm feeling super overwhelmed right now.

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Gemini wrote:You're obviously not from NYC, lol. If you are in such a rush to decide, you should've asked this question earlier.

Do NOT get a Fordham dorm. It's 1600 a month and it comes with 2 roommates. Blech. You can get a place by yourself for $1600. If you want a roommate, use craigslist or talk to other accepted students and see who is looking for a roommate.

The only benefit I hear about for the dorms is how the buildings are all connected and you don't even step outside to get to class. (Good for those snow and frigidly cold days)

Stay on the West Side of Manhattan, particularly along the 1/2/3 subway lines. Upper West Side/Harlem is cheapest. I would not recommend Washington Heights/Inwood to ANYONE. HTH.
Really, again with dogging Washington Heights? I've been living here, kind of WH/Inwood really, for about a month now - after nine years on the Upper West Side - and I don't feel unsafe. It's one of the cheapest options left in Manhattan and it's a very easy commute to Fordham on the A train. I'm wondering if you've really been up here and how long ago, because a fair amount of young professionals and students have been moving up here over the past few years. I mean, if you want to keep discouraging broke students from looking up here, I guess that helps minimize the competition for cheap rent, so I shouldn't mind, but I feel bad for any out-of-towners being scared away from what is really a very viable option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Lawst wrote:
Gemini wrote:You're obviously not from NYC, lol. If you are in such a rush to decide, you should've asked this question earlier.

Really, again with dogging Washington Heights? I've been living here, kind of WH/Inwood really, for about a month now - after nine years on the Upper West Side - and I don't feel unsafe. It's one of the cheapest options left in Manhattan and it's a very easy commute to Fordham on the A train. I'm wondering if you've really been up here and how long ago, because a fair amount of young professionals and students have been moving up here over the past few years. I mean, if you want to keep discouraging broke students from looking up here, I guess that helps minimize the competition for cheap rent, so I shouldn't mind, but I feel bad for any out-of-towners being scared away from what is really a very viable option.
Shhh, lol. And no, I guess the last time I was by there was like... 2006?

ETA: but I still wouldnt want to live there. :|

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Gemini wrote:
Lawst wrote:

Shhh, lol. And no, I guess the last time I was by there was like... 2006?

ETA: but I still wouldnt want to live there. :|
Ah, yeah it's definitely changed a lot since then and really it's not bad. I'm not gonna say I like it up here like I did on the UWS - I miss my old neighborhood. But it's so much cheaper up here, and I'm trying to keep my expenses low as I transition from working person to broke student. I pay just under $1,000 for a huge 1BR - my own place, no roommates. So...now you know why people are migrating up here. To each her own, really.

manhattandoll8

New

Post by manhattandoll8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 am

my boyfriend just moved out of inwood because it was so aweful. The apartment itself was nice but the building and people up there were aweful. On many occasions he would show up at my apartment at 4am becasue he had been laying in bed trying to go to sleep for hours but couldnt because people blast music and scream at each other for all hours of the night (in the middle of the week!). At that hour, it took him over an hour to get to my place- that goes to show how bad it was. The people up there never seemed to have jobs, they just party all day and all night and have no respect for others. There was always trash and chicken bones laying around the apartment building and the streets in the neighborhood. Maybe there are some nice pockets of inwood but we didn't see them. West Harlem/Lower Washington Heights is better- He lived there before inwood and liked it. However, east harlem is no good. I lived there for awhile and my mom cried when she came to visit me because she was so upset that I was living in that neighborhood. Once I was walking home late at night and an NYPD patrol car spotted me and followed me home to make sure I got there safely- that's saying something.

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 am

Lawst wrote:I pay just under $1,000 for a huge 1BR - my own place, no roommates. So...now you know why people are migrating up here.
:shock:
Holy crap! I've got to look into this. That being said, Astoria/LIC on the N/Q line is cheap, safe, and relatively convenient to get to Fordham (57th and 7th stop and walk a couple of blocks). You can easily find a nice renovated 1BR for 1300, and you can definitely get something for less than that. Its kind of boring and you will have to admit to living in Queens, but all things considered it ain't all that bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 am

to me, the real drawback of inwood/wash heights isn't the distance or the safety issue. up there, as a law student, you really won't find many other students or a lot of "young professionals." there won't be too many bars or good restaurants either. at least that's what i found living in the 130s in west harlem for a year. i can only imagine that that's also the case further north.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:44 am

Stringer6 wrote:to me, the real drawback of inwood/wash heights isn't the distance or the safety issue. up there, as a law student, you really won't find many other students or a lot of "young professionals." there won't be too many bars or good restaurants either. at least that's what i found living in the 130s in west harlem for a year. i can only imagine that that's also the case further north.
No... but there are singing bodega owners. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVN1CPU-84

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 am

Well I am old and married so that's not much a concern. I am just tired of sitting here in Queens eating refried beans we're in all the magazines.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 am

Today, I have sent in my first deposit for Fordham. Class of 2014, here I come! :shock: :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 am

I am just tired of sitting here in Queens eating refried beans we're in all the magazines.
:)

at least you're still hip

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:26 am

Stringer6 wrote:
I am just tired of sitting here in Queens eating refried beans we're in all the magazines.
:)

at least you're still hip
At least until I fall down and it breaks.

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey all, just accepted to Fordham via email. I haven't really looked at this thread much so I was just wondering if you could provide the seat deposit amount and deadline for the deposit.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm

$400

4/15

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Stringer6 wrote:$400

4/15
thanks.. I'm not certain if my April 1 acceptance will give me any more time to make the decision.. I'd hope to have the scholarship/loan package before I drop Benjamins there.

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm

cj2k14 wrote:thanks.. I'm not certain if my April 1 acceptance will give me any more time to make the decision.. I'd hope to have the scholarship/loan package before I drop Benjamins there.
I am pretty sure they tell you 4/15 unless you were admitted later than that or something, then you get two weeks.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 pm

akcorps wrote:
cj2k14 wrote:thanks.. I'm not certain if my April 1 acceptance will give me any more time to make the decision.. I'd hope to have the scholarship/loan package before I drop Benjamins there.
I am pretty sure they tell you 4/15 unless you were admitted later than that or something, then you get two weeks.
Yes, even though you're accepted so close to the deadline, I'm sure you'll find out what aid you're getting beforehand. And if anything, you can just call them and charge your credit card over the phone on 4/15 if you wanna wait till the last day.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 am

At ASD!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”