MDs making the switch to law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
romothesavior

Re: MDs making the switch to law

Postby romothesavior » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 pm

rad law wrote:Be a doctor.

This.

Also, thanks for making me LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ROTFL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL with this gem:

seeyoung wrote:Depending on the area, pediatricians make anywhere from 110K-180k. Not much considering exactly how much you work.

Seriously, if you are thinking about getting into law because you want less hours and more money, then I've got some fine oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

If you actually wanna be a lawyer and you don't mind the prospect of likely making millions less throughout your career, then go for it. But your line about 110-180k not being enough money in medicine makes me think you have no idea what you are about to get yourself into.
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:57 pm

seeyoung wrote:That salary is based on pre-tax and no malpractice.

Delay adulthood. I wish I could. I'm married with kids.

In law you are looking at best at 160K pre tax, with 60 hours minimum. That's if you are top half at a T14. That doesn't count three years of studying not just for free, but while paying 70K a year for the chance.

Good luck feeding a family on your loan money.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 pm

romothesavior wrote: makes me think you have no idea what you are about to get yourself into.

He knows exactly what he is getting himself into! All those dastardly millions pilfered from honest but unfortunate MDs, of course :lol:

matt2010

Postby matt2010 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:29 pm

OP I'm always amazed by the pervasiveness of the "grass is always greener" mentality on these boards, especially when it concerns medicine. It's dangerous to take advice from people who have no experience at all with medicine which is why I'm sure you only asked for firsthand experiences. I've researched JD/MD's, and there are a limited number of fields where the two intersect. You might take a look at http://www.cuivienen.org/blog/ which chronicles someone's experiences in both medical school and law school. I say, if you can afford it and are willing to commit yourself to another arduous educational experience, then go for it. You can always go back to medicine. You have to decide if you'd regret not even trying the law down the road.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:38 pm

seeyoung wrote:Delay adulthood. I wish I could. I'm married with kids.

Then definitely don't do this.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:43 pm

paratactical wrote:
seeyoung wrote:Unless you or someone you know has made this switch, please dont respond to this tread.

Why do people think they have the right to state "rules" like this in threads?

This. OP came for advice. If OP doesn't like the advice, too bad.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:45 pm

rad law wrote:
paratactical wrote:
seeyoung wrote:Unless you or someone you know has made this switch, please dont respond to this tread.

C'mon, rad! He already answered that by explaining how much more mature and awesome than us he clearly is. Besides, money and tutition are no object for our winner here! He's clearly already amassed a fortune through his own hard work!

minuit

Postby minuit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:49 pm

how many hours per week do pediatricians work post residency??

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:50 pm

paratactical wrote:
rad law wrote:
paratactical wrote:

C'mon, rad! He already answered that by explaining how much more mature and awesome than us he clearly is. Besides, money and tutition are no object for our winner here! He's clearly already amassed a fortune through his own hard work!

Damn at this rate I may as well /self right now.

seeyoung

Postby seeyoung » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:26 pm

matt2010 wrote:OP I'm always amazed by the pervasiveness of the "grass is always greener" mentality on these boards, especially when it concerns medicine. It's dangerous to take advice from people who have no experience at all with medicine which is why I'm sure you only asked for firsthand experiences. I've researched JD/MD's, and there are a limited number of fields where the two intersect. You might take a look at http://www.cuivienen.org/blog/ which chronicles someone's experiences in both medical school and law school. I say, if you can afford it and are willing to commit yourself to another arduous educational experience, then go for it. You can always go back to medicine. You have to decide if you'd regret not even trying the law down the road.

Thanks for the advice. If anyone else has anything useful to say, please PM me. I do appreciate those who have replied with relevant things to say.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:40 pm

I have no real advice, other than my Uncle did this about 10 years ago. He finished with his residency and then enrolled in UCLA law, and now is a full time lawyer. He still takes the necessary tests to retain his license to practice medicine, but no longer practices.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 pm

ER doc with 11 years experience here making the leap into law school.

swester

Postby swester » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:18 pm

er doctor wrote:ER doc with 11 years experience here making the leap into law school.

Why switch from helping people to screwing them over? We need good ER docs; we have absolutely no need whatsoever for more J.D.'s. For the sake of society, don't leave.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:22 pm

I totally thought I killed this thread: all discussion stopped after I posted.

I have had spent enough time helping people in the ER and need a change in my career. As far as screwing people over, I intend to specialize in malpractice defense, where ideally I will be helping physicians and other healthcare providers continue helping their patients.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:04 pm

er doctor wrote:I totally thought I killed this thread: all discussion stopped after I posted.

I have had spent enough time helping people in the ER and need a change in my career. As far as screwing people over, I intend to specialize in malpractice defense, where ideally I will be helping physicians and other healthcare providers continue helping their patients.

Enjoy defending drunk quacks who sawed off the wrong leg.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
er doctor wrote:I totally thought I killed this thread: all discussion stopped after I posted.

Enjoy defending drunk quacks who sawed off the wrong leg.

lol

This thread was better than expected.

+1

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm

I know a doctor who went to law school at night. Went to a tier 4 because competition was easy and because MDs are in such short supply in the legal world, so pedigree matters for little to none. He was exhausted during the entire experience, but says he wouldnt do it any differently if he could.

Maybe see if you can get a position post-residency with 9-5 hours (seems reasonable if you're going into pediatrics) and go to law school at night - seems like a good option if you're truly interested in both worlds.

Just a heads up, his kids were mostly grown up before he did this. You might want to prioritize your children until they're older or you may have regrets.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Hey all legs look alike. How am I supposed to know which one to saw off?

Prof. Farnsworth: "Dr. Zoidberg, can you note the time and declare the patient legally dead?"
Dr. Zoidberg: "Can I! That’s my specialty!”

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:11 pm

ER Doc want to trade lives like in GATTACA? You can take my spot at Northwestern and I can take your doctor job?

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:00 pm

er doctor wrote:Hey all legs look alike. How am I supposed to know which one to saw off?

Prof. Farnsworth: "Dr. Zoidberg, can you note the time and declare the patient legally dead?"
Dr. Zoidberg: "Can I! That’s my specialty!”

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:03 pm

One word (technically 6): EMTALA.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:ER Doc want to trade lives like in GATTACA? You can take my spot at Northwestern and I can take your doctor job?

Does this mean I have to wear a bag of your urine on my leg in case they want to test me?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”