UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby obrienfa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:14 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:My status just updated to "In Review 12/3" also.

I just called them myself and the woman I spoke said "for those already In Review, you can expect a decision within the next 6 to 8 weeks."


They must be really behind.

I might die waiting...I have been complete since 9/4. When I first called the admissions office in October, the woman told me that they would start sending decisions mid-November. She said that members of admissions committee were traveling for various recruiting fairs until then. Then I got the email that said December. Now we're looking at January...


I called in mid november about an addendum and was told something along those lines. I forgot to call today but now I am worried what I was told wasn't true and my application will be fucked because I didn't send in the addendum.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Barbie wrote:
jessjess wrote:I was in for a tour at Madison this past Friday. After the tour, I met with someone in the admissions office and she told me that they are looking over applications starting this week, 12/6. She told me I can expect an answer mid January based on when I got my application in. Not sure what the official time frame is for the decision process but that is the info that I got.


Abouts when did you get your app in :)


Bump because I'd like to know this as well.

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby yoitsmebenny » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:56 pm

If any more of you cats come by for a tour, let me know and we can go grab a beer or something. I can tell you all about life in Madison. I live right by Camp Randall, which is like a half mile from the law school.

mandaleni23
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby mandaleni23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm

jessjess wrote:
I was in for a tour at Madison this past Friday. After the tour, I met with someone in the admissions office and she told me that they are looking over applications starting this week, 12/6. She told me I can expect an answer mid January based on when I got my application in. Not sure what the official time frame is for the decision process but that is the info that I got.
Barbie wrote:
Abouts when did you get your app in :)
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Bump because I'd like to know this as well.


+1

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Amir N » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:
jessjess wrote:
I was in for a tour at Madison this past Friday. After the tour, I met with someone in the admissions office and she told me that they are looking over applications starting this week, 12/6. She told me I can expect an answer mid January based on when I got my application in. Not sure what the official time frame is for the decision process but that is the info that I got.
Barbie wrote:
Abouts when did you get your app in :)
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Bump because I'd like to know this as well.


+1


+1

jessjess
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby jessjess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 pm

I sent in my application 11/14

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:52 pm

jessjess wrote:I sent in my application 11/14


So, 6-8 weeks, pretty much, probably from when you were actually complete.


Hopefully that means that those of us who submitted in September will hear soon :D

jessjess
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby jessjess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:57 pm

You'll hear before I do for sure.

I'm not the most patient person in the world. I would like to know now. :)

mandaleni23
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby mandaleni23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Phew! That is good news. That means those of us who applied in September are looking at less than six weeks (hopefully...).

User avatar
firecracker
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby firecracker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:00 am

Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby ns77770 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 am

firecracker wrote:Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack


+1.... wtf does that mean?

I read it and it looks like a generic email they probably sent to all applicants... did anybody NOT get a scholarship email?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Barbie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:10 am

ns77770 wrote:
firecracker wrote:Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack


+1.... wtf does that mean?


lol, it means you need to fill it out, silly! Maybe they are going to make scholarship offers WITH acceptances. They obv have to send this email out to everyone, otherwise we would know who was in/out already. So fill it out if you want some $$ :P

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby ns77770 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
firecracker wrote:Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack


+1.... wtf does that mean?


lol, it means you need to fill it out, silly! Maybe they are going to make scholarship offers WITH acceptances. They obv have to send this email out to everyone, otherwise we would know who was in/out already. So fill it out if you want some $$ :P


Haha yes yes.... TIme to go get coffee so I can possibly have a rational thought.

mandaleni23
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby mandaleni23 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

firecracker wrote:Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack


I am sooo glad I read this on hear before I saw that email! It would have been another heart attack followed by quite a nasty disappointment.

Not unlike when I received a BIG envelope in the mail from UW shortly after I applied only to find that it was marketing materials...

Quit playin' games with my heart...

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby ht2988 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 pm

In Review (12/8)

mandaleni23
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby mandaleni23 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

ht2988 wrote:In Review (12/8)


Did you get one of those scholarship application emails, too?

User avatar
morganonthecoast
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby morganonthecoast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:03 pm

In review 12/3

As for the scholarship e-mail, most of the questions on the application seem like they apply more to need-based students, and I'm definitely not. Is anyone writing a brief narrative not geared to economic/life hardships and instead more "I deserve merit money because I'm an awesome student and here's why"?

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:04 pm

morganonthecoast wrote:In review 12/3

As for the scholarship e-mail, most of the questions on the application seem like they apply more to need-based students, and I'm definitely not. Is anyone writing a brief narrative not geared to economic/life hardships and instead more "I deserve merit money because I'm an awesome student and here's why"?


It asked about working during your education, so I wrote a lot about that as well.

mandaleni23
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby mandaleni23 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
morganonthecoast wrote:In review 12/3

As for the scholarship e-mail, most of the questions on the application seem like they apply more to need-based students, and I'm definitely not. Is anyone writing a brief narrative not geared to economic/life hardships and instead more "I deserve merit money because I'm an awesome student and here's why"?


It asked about working during your education, so I wrote a lot about that as well.


+1

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 pm

So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:51 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?


I'm not planning to do it until a decision. I don't see the point since it's not due until Feb.

Underground404
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Underground404 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:54 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?


I couldn't agree with you more. I think I'm going to sit back and see what happens before doing something like this. I just went Under Review today...and I don't want to do anything that could hurt my application in any way.

Although by filling out the application, it could also show increased interest in the school.

All in all...I have absolutely no idea...I overthink these things. (I'll probably sit on my hands though and see what happens before jumping the gun)

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Underground404 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?


I couldn't agree with you more. I think I'm going to sit back and see what happens before doing something like this. I just went Under Review today...and I don't want to do anything that could hurt my application in any way.

Although by filling out the application, it could also show increased interest in the school.

All in all...I have absolutely no idea...I overthink these things. (I'll probably sit on my hands though and see what happens before jumping the gun)


Yea, I'm the same way--I can see how acting early could be perceived as added interest, which could be a good thing. But then I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot somehow.

Probably WAAAAYYYY over thinking it.

I have only been "In Review" since 12/7 and am already feeling like this is taking forever! UW is my top choice and it would be great to hear something back before the Christmas break, but I don't think that's happening . . .

mandaleni23
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby mandaleni23 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:24 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?


I referred back to my application documents to briefly summarize some of the points I already made, and basically used it as a LOCI-type opportunity. I wrote a quick draft and reviewed it a little bit before I sent it, and ended it with a brief "Why UW" statement.

I can't imagine that it would hurt an application too much. First of all, I don't think that anyone will even review it unless you're being strongly considered for admission. Secondly, if you have a strong enough application, I would think that the scholarship application would only affect your scholarship money (if any.)

I do, however, see your point. If I hadn't submitted it already, I would have given waiting some serious thought.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:28 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?


I referred back to my application documents to briefly summarize some of the points I already made, and basically used it as a LOCI-type opportunity. I wrote a quick draft and reviewed it a little bit before I sent it, and ended it with a brief "Why UW" statement.

I can't imagine that it would hurt an application too much. First of all, I don't think that anyone will even review it unless you're being strongly considered for admission. Secondly, if you have a strong enough application, I would think that the scholarship application would only affect your scholarship money (if any.)

I do, however, see your point. If I hadn't submitted it already, I would have given waiting some serious thought.


I like your course of action. Like I said, I know I am over thinking this shit, but that's kind of how I roll (for better [sometimes] or for worse [sometimes as well]).

Best of luck!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests