UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Regionality

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Regionality » Sun May 08, 2011 1:18 am

LilyGirl wrote:Has anyone received any information from the school, such as what we need to do now that we have responded saying we are going to attend?

I obviously am not an official representative of the school (I'm only a student) but what you should be doing is finding a place to live...and nothing else that I can think of. You don't owe deposits and you'll pay tuition after you start. Make sure FAFSA's done.

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Sun May 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Regionality wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:Has anyone received any information from the school, such as what we need to do now that we have responded saying we are going to attend?

I obviously am not an official representative of the school (I'm only a student) but what you should be doing is finding a place to live...and nothing else that I can think of. You don't owe deposits and you'll pay tuition after you start. Make sure FAFSA's done.

Yes I am currently planning a visit to look at apartments this month, but I was just worried because I haven't received any information from the school regarding what I need to do before attending this fall. It says my FAFSA is complete online, but I still haven't received anything about what my award amounts are. I received them from all the other schools I was accepted to, so I thought it was strange.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun May 08, 2011 8:06 pm

LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Yes I am currently planning a visit to look at apartments this month, but I was just worried because I haven't received any information from the school regarding what I need to do before attending this fall. It says my FAFSA is complete online, but I still haven't received anything about what my award amounts are. I received them from all the other schools I was accepted to, so I thought it was strange.

Your awards in terms of financial aid or your awards in terms of scholarships?

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:06 pm

LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:

I don't think the school related packets come until like July or something. it's not even summer yet. you won't get stuff beyond your acceptance for a while, if i remember correctly. don't sweat it. I haven't even received my SUMMER fafsa stuff yet. I'm pretty sure FAFSA is 22,500? and then the rest is gradPLUS. This is pretty standard.

There tends to be a 3 places law students tend to live: 1. west-side isthmus apartments like Grand Central/Lucky/etc. These are nice if you're splitting, 1BR with only 1 person can get pricey. Can't go wrong with location around there. 2. Near east side, a few blocks east of the capital has some nice, mid-priced apartments with an older crowd, if you don't mind a short bike ride or 20-30 minute walk to class. 3. South side. It's cheap, but you'll have to take the bus to school and back out. I don't suggest this, but there are plenty of students who do it. This is basically anything south of the hospitals on Park St.

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Panther7 wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:

I don't think the school related packets come until like July or something. it's not even summer yet. you won't get stuff beyond your acceptance for a while, if i remember correctly. don't sweat it. I haven't even received my SUMMER fafsa stuff yet. I'm pretty sure FAFSA is 22,500? and then the rest is gradPLUS. This is pretty standard.

There tends to be a 3 places law students tend to live: 1. west-side isthmus apartments like Grand Central/Lucky/etc. These are nice if you're splitting, 1BR with only 1 person can get pricey. Can't go wrong with location around there. 2. Near east side, a few blocks east of the capital has some nice, mid-priced apartments with an older crowd, if you don't mind a short bike ride or 20-30 minute walk to class. 3. South side. It's cheap, but you'll have to take the bus to school and back out. I don't suggest this, but there are plenty of students who do it. This is basically anything south of the hospitals on Park St.

I was just wondering about this. Is it bad to live outside of the campus area? I am having a difficult time finding decent apartments in the campus area that allow dogs. Is riding the bus pretty efficient or does it take a while and inconvenient?

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Regionality wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:

I received my scholarship information, but not my financial aid or information regarding the start of the year.

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Mon May 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Any waitlist action this week? :?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue May 10, 2011 1:33 am

LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:

I received my scholarship information, but not my financial aid or information regarding the start of the year.

Its only May...

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue May 10, 2011 2:11 am

I'm not really sure why you're worried about financial aid being posted. It's not close to any of the deadlines for that sort of thing, and what your award will look like is very predictable, especially if you've gotten offers from other schools.

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 am

gens1tb wrote:I'm not really sure why you're worried about financial aid being posted. It's not close to any of the deadlines for that sort of thing, and what your award will look like is very predictable, especially if you've gotten offers from other schools.

I am not worried, I just wanted to make sure that was normal, since the other schools I had applied to had already given me all that information.

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 am

Is anybody looking for a roommate. I am keeping myself open to that option, because apartments are a whole lot cheaper with a roommate.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Wed May 11, 2011 6:52 pm

I found a place to the south, between Fish Hatchery and Park. $695/mo for a one-bedroom including heat, water, and parking. It should be about a 15 minute bus ride, which does not bother me at all. I guess I don't really see why everyone wants to live right downtown. I toured a place in the Willy St. neighborhood that I had gotten a couple of recommendations on and it was pure crap for $775/mo. Is there some magical benefit to living downtown that I'm missing?

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Hippononymous wrote:I found a place to the south, between Fish Hatchery and Park. $695/mo for a one-bedroom including heat, water, and parking. It should be about a 15 minute bus ride, which does not bother me at all. I guess I don't really see why everyone wants to live right downtown. I toured a place in the Willy St. neighborhood that I had gotten a couple of recommendations on and it was pure crap for $775/mo. Is there some magical benefit to living downtown that I'm missing?

You can walk home from the bars. When it's 3AM and -10 outside, a short walk is usually preferable. Otherwise you have to 1.) pay for a cab, or 2.) drink more alcohol until the cold goes away.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Wed May 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Panther7 wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:I found a place to the south, between Fish Hatchery and Park. $695/mo for a one-bedroom including heat, water, and parking. It should be about a 15 minute bus ride, which does not bother me at all. I guess I don't really see why everyone wants to live right downtown. I toured a place in the Willy St. neighborhood that I had gotten a couple of recommendations on and it was pure crap for $775/mo. Is there some magical benefit to living downtown that I'm missing?

You can walk home from the bars. When it's 3AM and -10 outside, a short walk is usually preferable. Otherwise you have to 1.) pay for a cab, or 2.) drink more alcohol until the cold goes away.

I'm from Wisconsin. This is no problem.

Or I'll drink at home alone.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed May 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Hippononymous wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

Put it this way: There's a reason most people who get apartments far from campus move downtown their 2nd year.

1) Walking home at night from bars blows. Paying for taxis costs money. Cold weather is cold.
2) The buses don't run often/at all on the weekends depending on where you're living. Missing a bus sucks.
3) Quick and easy access to good dining options
4) Forgot something at school? Get on a bus to go back and get it.
5) Did it just snow a crap ton? Expect delays in the buses. Have a final that morning? Wake up 2 hours earlier to make sure you can get to school on time. If you can walk, you're timing is constant.
6) Want an impromptu coffee meeting to study or meet up with that cute someone? Too bad, you have to plan it in advance because the bus isn't coming for an hour.
7) You run in to awesome people all the time walking to/from home/lunch/cafe/studying/school. If you take the bus, you run in to practically no one.
8) Walking home at night from bars blows. (I think I mentioned this one)

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Wed May 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Hence the free parking...

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Hippononymous wrote:Hence the free parking...

DWI Alert! WALTER DICKEY IS GONNA GET YA!!

PS. You're not going to drive to school. Nowhere to park. Cars are useful for grocery shopping, roadtrips and Sundays. OH, and they're good for driving to places at night when you don't plan to drink.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Regionality wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:Hence the free parking...

DWI Alert! WALTER DICKEY IS GONNA GET YA!!

PS. You're not going to drive to school. Nowhere to park. Cars are useful for grocery shopping, roadtrips and Sundays. OH, and they're good for driving to places at night when you don't plan to drink.

I'm going to take the bus to class. I can drive to class in the event of an emergency. For the difference in rent, I can afford a couple of cab rides home per month and still come out ahead. If I need a ride more regularly than that, I should probably check my priorities...

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Regionality wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

Put it this way: There's a reason most people who get apartments far from campus move downtown their 2nd year.

1) Walking home at night from bars blows. Paying for taxis costs money. Cold weather is cold.
2) The buses don't run often/at all on the weekends depending on where you're living. Missing a bus sucks.
5) Did it just snow a crap ton? Expect delays in the buses. Have a final that morning? Wake up 2 hours earlier to make sure you can get to school on time. If you can walk, you're timing is constant.
6) Want an impromptu coffee meeting to study or meet up with that cute someone? Too bad, you have to plan it in advance because the bus isn't coming for an hour.
7) You run in to awesome people all the time walking to/from home/lunch/cafe/studying/school. If you take the bus, you run in to practically no one.

Thanks for this. It really put into perspective of why I need to live near school. I have only found one apartment building that allows dogs that is close, and it looks like that is where I will be living :)

Snoring Meatball

Postby Snoring Meatball » Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Former longtime Madison resident here. I'm not going to UW, but I wanted to pop in and offer myself as a resource for anyone who is looking for housing west or south of campus. Some of the seemingly nice areas have had increasing crime problems in recent years. I'm less knowledgeable about the East side. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about a neighborhood, region, or specific complex, and I will try to be helpful.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 13, 2011 1:53 am

LilyGirl wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Hippononymous wrote:
Panther7 wrote:You can walk home from the bars. When it's 3AM and -10 outside, a short walk is usually preferable. Otherwise you have to 1.) pay for a cab, or 2.) drink more alcohol until the cold goes away.

Thanks for this. It really put into perspective of why I need to live near school. I have only found one apartment building that allows dogs that is close, and it looks like that is where I will be living :)

You're welcome!

Shanker626

Postby Shanker626 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:04 pm

got in today GPA 3.67 LSAT 154, someone tell me how that happened!?

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Sat May 14, 2011 9:00 am

Shanker626 wrote:got in today GPA 3.67 LSAT 154, someone tell me how that happened!?

They were balancing out my 2.68/164. Congrats!

estrangedstudent

Postby estrangedstudent » Sat May 14, 2011 11:32 am

Shanker626 wrote:got in today GPA 3.67 LSAT 154, someone tell me how that happened!?

Is this off the wait list? Do people on the wait list have any hope still? Is there a realistic time table for decisions off the wait list?

Shanker626

Postby Shanker626 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:59 pm

estrangedstudent wrote:

Is this off the wait list? Do people on the wait list have any hope still? Is there a realistic time table for decisions off the wait list?

Yea that is of the waitlist. I've been waitlisted since January.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”