UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Regionality

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Regionality » Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 pm

metallaura wrote:
Regionality wrote:
metallaura wrote:I saw some people on here saying that they emailed asking for an answer if possible (obviously in a tactful manner) and the next day they were admitted. Any thoughts on this? Saying something like "I was wondering if a decision would be made on my file this week because I have a deposit due on Monday at my back-up school" ... something along those lines?

lol don't say backup school, say superiorly ranked school

lol, how about "second-choice school" haha

they know you'd sacrifice the security deposit even in August...they aren't worried about losing you. Unless you have a legitimately superior/equivalent offer they'll just shrug.

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Regionality wrote:
metallaura wrote:
Regionality wrote:
metallaura wrote:I saw some people on here saying that they emailed asking for an answer if possible (obviously in a tactful manner) and the next day they were admitted. Any thoughts on this? Saying something like "I was wondering if a decision would be made on my file this week because I have a deposit due on Monday at my back-up school" ... something along those lines?

lol don't say backup school, say superiorly ranked school

they know you'd sacrifice the security deposit even in August...they aren't worried about losing you. Unless you have a legitimately superior/equivalent offer they'll just shrug.

Good point. Thanks for the advice. I saw someone else in the thread here who did the same and got admitted the next day... I just wanted to be cautious about doing anything like that. Ugh, I'm a poor non-traditional, college student... sad day :/

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm

metallaura wrote:
Regionality wrote:
metallaura wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Good point. Thanks for the advice. I saw someone else in the thread here who did the same and got admitted the next day... I just wanted to be cautious about doing anything like that. Ugh, I'm a poor non-traditional, college student... sad day :/

You sound traditional if you're in college

birdlaw22

Postby birdlaw22 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:49 pm

This is basically what I said, "Hi, I'm a waitlisted applicant and I understand you are currently accepting applicants off of the waitlist. I was wondering if you could update me on the status of my file. The only reason I ask is because I have several seat deposits due tomorrow. Of course, Wisconsin is my top choice, but I would hate to let the deadlines pass for these other schools, potentially not get into Wisconsin, and be left with no options. Is there any chance my file could be reconsidered as soon as possible?" The woman said ," I will bring your file to the attention of the admissions committee." The next morning I got an acceptance letter in my email. I'm not saying this will necessary work for you, but it did for me. I also didnot mention any schools specifically, or their tiers or anything along those lines. Only that I had deposits due. If you do attempt to contact them, I please ask that you do not read what I wrote verbatim. Put your own spin on it and make it fresh. Good luck.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 am

Regionality wrote:
gens1tb wrote:Does anyone know why the clerkship placements for UW are so low? Is it a self-selection thing?

Everyone at T14's who can't get biglaw jobs are taking clerkships from the rest of Tier 1 schools.

It is certainly not a self-selection thing.

There is definitely a self-selection part to it. It's not the incapability of UW to get clerkships, but our share definitely shrinks due to people not applying for them. A lot of people at UW who get biglaw chances take them. The western district gets a lot of apps, but Marquette dominates the Eastern, and I don't think a lot of UW students go out of their way to apply to random places outside of Wisconsin.

metallaura

Postby metallaura » Wed May 04, 2011 11:37 am

birdlaw22 wrote:

This is basically what I said, "Hi, I'm a waitlisted applicant and I understand you are currently accepting applicants off of the waitlist. I was wondering if you could update me on the status of my file. The only reason I ask is because I have several seat deposits due tomorrow. Of course, Wisconsin is my top choice, but I would hate to let the deadlines pass for these other schools, potentially not get into Wisconsin, and be left with no options. Is there any chance my file could be reconsidered as soon as possible?" The woman said ," I will bring your file to the attention of the admissions committee." The next morning I got an acceptance letter in my email. I'm not saying this will necessary work for you, but it did for me. I also didnot mention any schools specifically, or their tiers or anything along those lines. Only that I had deposits due. If you do attempt to contact them, I please ask that you do not read what I wrote verbatim. Put your own spin on it and make it fresh. Good luck.

Thanks, I said something similar but all she said was they're not moving anyone off the waitlist this week, but they might next week :/ so we'll see, but my seat deposit is due on Monday. Such is life.

Odom

Postby Odom » Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 am

So I sent my reply to the waitlist offer about a week late. This is what I got back:

Thank you for this information, it has been added to your application.

Sincerely,

UW Law School Admissions

Some folks say they were told they would get answers within a few days...one guy even managed to get an answer the next day. I was told a member of the admission committee is on vaca. So, I am certain no decisions will be made this week. Does anyone know how long this process takes? Are they just stringing us along by putting us on a wait-list. Is that a nice way to reject?

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Odom wrote:So I sent my reply to the waitlist offer about a week late. This is what I got back:

Thank you for this information, it has been added to your application.

Sincerely,

UW Law School Admissions

Some folks say they were told they would get answers within a few days...one guy even managed to get an answer the next day. I was told a member of the admission committee is on vaca. So, I am certain no decisions will be made this week. Does anyone know how long this process takes? Are they just stringing us along by putting us on a wait-list. Is that a nice way to reject?

I received the same message when I sent my LOCI in February. It's been 3 months and I haven't heard anything, but my numbers are weak. Take it for what it's worth.

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:25 pm

So where is everyone planning on living. I would like to be in the downtown area near campus, but I don't want to be in the center of the undergrad party scene. So I have been looking farther away and have found some nice apartments, but do not know which area is better to live in (East side, West side, and South Central), as far as the atmosphere, restaurants, bars, etc.

Does anyone know of some nicer areas right in the downtown/campus area?

But If I decide to live away from campus, which one of these areas would be best to live in? East, West, South?

Lastly, what is the bus system like? Is it quick and easy to use?

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 pm

The Ithsmus is crazy expensive, but seems to be where everyone wants to be. I'm visiting tomorrow and touring a few places, only one of which is on the Ithsmus. Maybe I'm just used to cheaper rent, but I can't bring myself to pay $950 a month plus $100 a month for parking. The places I'm looking at are in the $650-$800 range with parking included. I'll let you know what I find.

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Hippononymous wrote:The Ithsmus is crazy expensive, but seems to be where everyone wants to be. I'm visiting tomorrow and touring a few places, only one of which is on the Ithsmus. Maybe I'm just used to cheaper rent, but I can't bring myself to pay $950 a month plus $100 a month for parking. The places I'm looking at are in the $650-$800 range with parking included. I'll let you know what I find.

Yes let me know how it goes and let me know if you find anything out about the bus system there. I have found the best apartments outside of the campus area, but I don't know how quick it is to travel by bus and I would rather do that instead of drive. I am having a hard time finding a close apartment that isn't a dump and allows dogs.

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Are most of you planning on paying for housing with student loans or is anyone going to be working?a

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 pm

danielle9281 wrote:Are most of you planning on paying for housing with student loans or is anyone going to be working?a

dont work. Devote all your time to studying, socializing and sleeping.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Hippononymous wrote:The Ithsmus is crazy expensive, but seems to be where everyone wants to be. I'm visiting tomorrow and touring a few places, only one of which is on the Ithsmus. Maybe I'm just used to cheaper rent, but I can't bring myself to pay $950 a month plus $100 a month for parking. The places I'm looking at are in the $650-$800 range with parking included. I'll let you know what I find.

I live in Madison and you can find great studios downtown for under 600 and great 1-BR's for under 750. You're looking at premium places.

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Regionality wrote:
danielle9281 wrote:Are most of you planning on paying for housing with student loans or is anyone going to be working?a

dont work. Devote all your time to studying, socializing and sleeping.

Thats what I plan on doing and I do have some scholarship money. Just hate the idea of it.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri May 06, 2011 11:01 pm

I found a place at Ingersoll and Johnson on the Isthmus. We had pretty specific requirements though and ended up paying $975 for a great place. Looks like a 10 min bus ride to campus or 15 min bike ride.

I am pretty stoked about it. Love the location and love the idea of being back in Wisconsin. Already bought a Wisconsin Law shirt because I am a total loser.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 pm

theavrock wrote:I found a place at Ingersoll and Johnson on the Isthmus. We had pretty specific requirements though and ended up paying $975 for a great place. Looks like a 10 min bus ride to campus or 15 min bike ride.

I am pretty stoked about it. Love the location and love the idea of being back in Wisconsin. Already bought a Wisconsin Law shirt because I am a total loser.

Dang that's a lot! You living with a sig other? If so that makes sense.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sat May 07, 2011 9:40 am

Regionality wrote:
theavrock wrote:I found a place at Ingersoll and Johnson on the Isthmus. We had pretty specific requirements though and ended up paying $975 for a great place. Looks like a 10 min bus ride to campus or 15 min bike ride.

Yea its a 2 bedroom 1000 sq foot for me and the ole lady plus our dog and 2 cats. We are coming from our own house right now, hence why we need the extra space.

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 am

theavrock wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Yea its a 2 bedroom 1000 sq foot for me and the ole lady plus our dog and 2 cats. We are coming from our own house right now, hence why we need the extra space.

Is this an apartment building or a house? I'm trying to find a place close to school that allows dogs.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sat May 07, 2011 12:54 pm

danielle9281 wrote:
theavrock wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Is this an apartment building or a house? I'm trying to find a place close to school that allows dogs.

Its the lower flat of a house.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 pm

theavrock wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Does she know you call her old on anonymous forums? :-P

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Sat May 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Regionality wrote:

Many of the current/future law students are living in places like the Equinox/Grand Central/Lucky/Cap Centre/Palaside. ALL of these places run between 1k-1500 a month for a 1br when you have utilities and parking factored in. Its just one of the evils of living in Madison if you want to be anywhere near the capital and in a place that is above average. On the flip side I did not talk to anyone in any of these places that was "unhappy" about where they are living, some of the people who lived up near Langdon St. and such were not happy with where they were living. Most of us did our undergrad stint in less then ideal housing and are now moving into something different for law school, that costs a bit more but the amount you gain in everything else makes it worth it, atleast for me and everyone I have talked to.

I did quite a bit of looking in the downtown area and if you guys are still looking you need to get on it ASAP. Things are already sold out and more will sell out every day.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat May 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Kaves wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Many of the current/future law students are living in places like the Equinox/Grand Central/Lucky/Cap Centre/Palaside. ALL of these places run between 1k-1500 a month for a 1br when you have utilities and parking factored in. Its just one of the evils of living in Madison if you want to be anywhere near the capital and in a place that is above average. On the flip side I did not talk to anyone in any of these places that was "unhappy" about where they are living, some of the people who lived up near Langdon St. and such were not happy with where they were living. Most of us did our undergrad stint in less then ideal housing and are now moving into something different for law school, that costs a bit more but the amount you gain in everything else makes it worth it, atleast for me and everyone I have talked to.

I did quite a bit of looking in the downtown area and if you guys are still looking you need to get on it ASAP. Things are already sold out and more will sell out every day.

I live in a 1BR a few blocks from the Capitol with AC, dishwasher, kitchen with nice cabinets/counter-tops, and a a newly renovated (albeit not huge) bathroom for $700-750. The neighborhood is quiet and the place isn't fancy, but it's clean, safe, 25 minute walk to school (10 by bike or bus), hardly any undergrads around and decent light.

Lucky is overpriced crap and if you're willing to live somewhere other than those high rise apartments on University there's tons of stuff available...things are not filling up. Lucky has a policy where they tell everyone they're full and then call back a few days later to say something opened up. I wouldn't be surprised if other places do that as well. Through June there is plenty of decent stuff available.

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Has anyone received their financial aid awards? I have not received mine yet.

LilyGirl

Postby LilyGirl » Sat May 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Has anyone received any information from the school, such as what we need to do now that we have responded saying we are going to attend?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”