UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Regionality » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:31 pm

lawyeriA wrote:
Regionality wrote:
lawyeriA wrote:[quote="EstboundNDwn"

You shouldn't feel bad. There are plenty of us on the waitlist ready to jump at your spot.



but out of state tuition is just so much


stop whining. OOS tuition is less than private school tuition.


I will whine when similar schools like ohio state allow you to reclassify yourself with the utmost ease and save half of your tuition price right there. And I will continue to whine when similar ranked schools like iowa give you far more generous aid packages. Freaken wisconsin and its budget problem[/quote]

So then the choice is easy for you!

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby gens1tb » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Regionality wrote:I wouldn't worry about it-- if he has a better option he'll take it...if he doesn't, he'll swallow the OOS tuition which is cheaper than any halfway decent private school's tuition.


I crashed into the 30s, I have a few similar offers.

I can also think of a few halfway decent private schools with tuition at or near Wisconsin's OOS. So, I don't see your point. However, I can't really think of a halfway decent public school with cheaper OOS tuition.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Regionality » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

gens1tb wrote:
Regionality wrote:I wouldn't worry about it-- if he has a better option he'll take it...if he doesn't, he'll swallow the OOS tuition which is cheaper than any halfway decent private school's tuition.


I crashed into the 30s, I have a few similar offers.

I can also think of a few halfway decent private schools with tuition at or near Wisconsin's OOS. So, I don't see your point. However, I can't really think of a halfway decent public school with cheaper OOS tuition.


In other words you can't think of a halfway decent school with cheaper tuition unless you're lucky enough to be from a state with a great public law school and cheap in-state tuition (like maybe...Alabama or IU-B or Wisconsin...)

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby gens1tb » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Regionality wrote:
gens1tb wrote:
Regionality wrote:I wouldn't worry about it-- if he has a better option he'll take it...if he doesn't, he'll swallow the OOS tuition which is cheaper than any halfway decent private school's tuition.


I crashed into the 30s, I have a few similar offers.

I can also think of a few halfway decent private schools with tuition at or near Wisconsin's OOS. So, I don't see your point. However, I can't really think of a halfway decent public school with cheaper OOS tuition.


In other words you can't think of a halfway decent school with cheaper tuition unless you're lucky enough to be from a state with a great public law school and cheap in-state tuition (like maybe...Alabama or IU-B or Wisconsin...)


Pretty much. I was most just conceding the point of your post. My original statement wasn't meant to be taken as indicating the tuition OOS at Wisconsin is high relative to other schools. More-so it was meant to convey that paying sticker either OOS or at a private school merits some apprehension, at least for me. Especially when similarly ranked schools offer aid either in the form of tuition vouchers or outright scholarships.

It's not a slam against Wisconsin, just a consideration, and obviously not the only one.

kswiss1114
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby kswiss1114 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:03 am

Got a good scholarship offer today from OSU - definitely like Madison way more, anyone have any positive experience w/ matching scholarships?

I should mention that I'm out of state at both, so OSU does offer a better option for becoming in-state, but despite the fact they are ranked equally this year, I personally think Madison is a way better school and would prefer it, even if I have to take out more loans. However, I would love it if they matched OSU - so anyone whose asked and heard back can you give me some advice? Thanks!

lawyeriA
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby lawyeriA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 pm

kswiss1114 wrote:Got a good scholarship offer today from OSU - definitely like Madison way more, anyone have any positive experience w/ matching scholarships?

I should mention that I'm out of state at both, so OSU does offer a better option for becoming in-state, but despite the fact they are ranked equally this year, I personally think Madison is a way better school and would prefer it, even if I have to take out more loans. However, I would love it if they matched OSU - so anyone whose asked and heard back can you give me some advice? Thanks!



I am in the same exact boat and have asked UW to consider at least matching OSU twice now to no avail. They seem to really not care and do their own thing.

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby gens1tb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm

kswiss1114 wrote:Got a good scholarship offer today from OSU - definitely like Madison way more, anyone have any positive experience w/ matching scholarships?

I should mention that I'm out of state at both, so OSU does offer a better option for becoming in-state, but despite the fact they are ranked equally this year, I personally think Madison is a way better school and would prefer it, even if I have to take out more loans. However, I would love it if they matched OSU - so anyone whose asked and heard back can you give me some advice? Thanks!


Just curious, what qualities make you think Wisconsin is better?

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:20 am

Waitlisted this morning. Gonna loci and wait it out

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby metallaura » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Any word on the waitlist today?

louda
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby louda » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:03 pm

anyone have any idea about when financial aid info is coming out? i thought i read somewhere it was end of march/beginning of april but i haven't heard anything yet. i'm not sure if it's cause i'm living overseas or if this info hasn't come out yet. thanks

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby metallaura » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Spookyghost wrote:Waitlisted this morning. Gonna loci and wait it out


#s?

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:35 am

metallaura wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:Waitlisted this morning. Gonna loci and wait it out


#s?

My LSAT is about median, my GPA isn't even close to 25th percentile.

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby metallaura » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 am

Spookyghost wrote:
metallaura wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:Waitlisted this morning. Gonna loci and wait it out


#s?

My LSAT is about median, my GPA isn't even close to 25th percentile.


Oh well I'm the opposite. My GPA is above 75% percentile and my LSAT is around the 25th. Maybe we'll even each other out :)

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Looking at LSN there seems to be a rather large waitlist, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but being accepted would be amazing.

Berdman
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:50 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Berdman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Waitlisted today around noon. Going to submit a loci by tomorrow and hope for the best. And I agree, LSN shows just about everyone in their gpa and LSAT range getting waitlisted.

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby metallaura » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Berdman wrote:Waitlisted today around noon. Going to submit a loci by tomorrow and hope for the best. And I agree, LSN shows just about everyone in their gpa and LSAT range getting waitlisted.


Hopefully it means they're just waiting for good locis.

Berdman
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:50 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Berdman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Did you guys/gals submit your LOCI as an email attachment? The email I received did not specify but eluded to an email.

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby metallaura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 am

Berdman wrote:Did you guys/gals submit your LOCI as an email attachment? The email I received did not specify but eluded to an email.


I emailed mine but I typed it up in business block format as if it would be printed and sent.

oopspowsurprise
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby oopspowsurprise » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 am

Just told UW I'm not attending

hope someone gets my spot! Good Luck guys :D

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby lisavj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Withdrew - good luck to all, hope acceptances go out after today's deadline!!

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby metallaura » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:46 pm

lisavj wrote:Withdrew - good luck to all, hope acceptances go out after today's deadline!!


Super! Thanks because I am pining for that spot ;) Good to know that today is a deadline date.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby lisavj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:56 pm

metallaura wrote:
lisavj wrote:Withdrew - good luck to all, hope acceptances go out after today's deadline!!


Super! Thanks because I am pining for that spot ;) Good to know that today is a deadline date.


Today is date 1 of 2. You can still say you are not sure and get an extension on your decision until May 1.

birdlaw22
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby birdlaw22 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 am

I got accepted from the waitlist on 4/15. 163/3.02 are my numbers. I sent a LOCI via email and told them to let me know when they got it, which they did later that day. I called a week later to see what the deal was and I pretty much said straight up, "I have seat deposits due tomorrow, so if you could make the decision as soon as possible that would be cool". The woman on the phone said she would bring my file to the attention of the adcomm. BOOM! Next morning: accepted.

I'm OOS with no scholly, but I am strongly considering attending. I am deciding between Wisc (165K COA) and Hofstra (55K COA). I know Hofstra sucks, but it would be fairly cheap and it's local for me. I don't know what to do. I would say I have similar level connections to the legal world in both markets, probably stronger in NY though. What would you do, fellow TLS mob?

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Regionality » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:16 pm

birdlaw22 wrote:I got accepted from the waitlist on 4/15. 163/3.02 are my numbers. I sent a LOCI via email and told them to let me know when they got it, which they did later that day. I called a week later to see what the deal was and I pretty much said straight up, "I have seat deposits due tomorrow, so if you could make the decision as soon as possible that would be cool". The woman on the phone said she would bring my file to the attention of the adcomm. BOOM! Next morning: accepted.

I'm OOS with no scholly, but I am strongly considering attending. I am deciding between Wisc (165K COA) and Hofstra (55K COA). I know Hofstra sucks, but it would be fairly cheap and it's local for me. I don't know what to do. I would say I have similar level connections to the legal world in both markets, probably stronger in NY though. What would you do, fellow TLS mob?


If you'd be equally happy living in each place and having your first job be in the respective region (upper midwest for WI), then go to Wisconsin.

User avatar
Hippononymous
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Hippononymous » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Against all odds, I made it in via email yesterday. I was honestly surprised, and completely pleased. Email indicated that I will be getting more information "in the next few days". Does anyone know when seat deposits are due?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: longsh0305, MSNbot Media, potterotter and 13 guests