UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
qhryder32

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby qhryder32 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 pm

gens1tb wrote:
qhryder32 wrote:
gens1tb wrote:Waitlisted via email today with a 3.6/164

Wow those are strong stats. Are you OOS? When did u go complete and IR? Thanks!!

Yeah, I'm oos :c I went complete on 01/27 and ir 01/31.

I think I'll write them an loci this week articulating my desire to attend.

I have the same review date and I'm yet to hear back and I'm IS...hmmm :?

Yeah writing them an loci will hopefully work if u express how Madison is ur top choice...I hope it works and best of luck!!!

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm

So I got WLed at Wisconsin a few weeks ago. I've read this thread and know it can take a while for a LOCI sent via snail mail to be processed at the school. But, it's been 10 days since I've sent mine and still haven't heard a peep that they've received it. When do you guys think I should contact admissions to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail?

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:22 pm

For those of us who have been waitlisted, does anyone have any suggestions about visits?

In particular, what's the best way to visit and call attention to yourself without coming across as annoying?

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:For those of us who have been waitlisted, does anyone have any suggestions about visits?

In particular, what's the best way to visit and call attention to yourself without coming across as annoying?

I don't have any suggestions for visiting, but I saw ur profile on LSN, hard to forget ur awesome username, i love that show. Anyways, we're LSAT twins and I've been waitlisted too, so good luck to you!

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:53 am

Is there a reason to send the LOCI via regular mail instead of email? In the waitlist email it encourages you to send it either way. I.. guess it looks more professional as a piece of physical correspondence? But, it's a lot faster to send an email.

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:05 am

gens1tb wrote:Is there a reason to send the LOCI via regular mail instead of email? In the waitlist email it encourages you to send it either way. I.. guess it looks more professional as a piece of physical correspondence? But, it's a lot faster to send an email.

Attach it as a pdf. You can even sign it and scan it as a pdf, if you want it to look just like a real letter.

Best of both worlds.

bucky0486

Postby bucky0486 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 am

zla2014 wrote:So I got WLed at Wisconsin a few weeks ago. I've read this thread and know it can take a while for a LOCI sent via snail mail to be processed at the school. But, it's been 10 days since I've sent mine and still haven't heard a peep that they've received it. When do you guys think I should contact admissions to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail?

I sent mine in via regular mail. Two weeks later I still hadn't heard anything, so I emailed to verify that they received it, and they had. I think if you send via email they will email you a confirmation of receipt.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm

bucky0486 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:So I got WLed at Wisconsin a few weeks ago. I've read this thread and know it can take a while for a LOCI sent via snail mail to be processed at the school. But, it's been 10 days since I've sent mine and still haven't heard a peep that they've received it. When do you guys think I should contact admissions to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail?

I sent mine in via regular mail. Two weeks later I still hadn't heard anything, so I emailed to verify that they received it, and they had. I think if you send via email they will email you a confirmation of receipt.

Thanks so much. Exact answer I was looking for!

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:21 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:
gens1tb wrote:Is there a reason to send the LOCI via regular mail instead of email? In the waitlist email it encourages you to send it either way. I.. guess it looks more professional as a piece of physical correspondence? But, it's a lot faster to send an email.

Attach it as a pdf. You can even sign it and scan it as a pdf, if you want it to look just like a real letter.

Best of both worlds.

I don't have the actual link, but I copy and pasted LOCI advice from a past TLS forum. This is what it said about e-mail vs. snail mail LOCIs:

How should I send my LOCI?

Assuming the school doesn’t specifically tell you how to send in additional materials, it is preferable to physically mail your LOCI as opposed to emailing it. By physically mailing the letter, you know that someone will have to open it and when they do, they will place it in your file. If you email it, you have to rely on whoever reads it to print it out and place it in your file. Additionally, emails have a greater chance of being overlooked than a hard copy letter. The deans and admissions committees are being flooded with emails around decision time. You want to eliminate any chance of administrative error and sending a physical letter helps you do that. A physical letter also takes more time and effort to send than an e-mail and is a sign that sending the LOCI was important to you.

However, a lot of schools say either one is fine. Personally, I agree with this b/c a physical letter is more personal than an e-mail. I agree though, PDF is good too, then you can show you took the time to personally sign your letter.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 am

Dinged today at 9:05am, despite their numerous diversity mailings. Oh well, it really didn't seem like a great fit for me given my regional preferences. Best of luck to those still in the hunt.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:22 pm

So I e-mailed this morning for a confirmation of receipt of my LOCI sent via snail mail. Within 2 hours they e-mailed me back confirming it was added to my file on February 28th. Awesome.

please...

Postby please... » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 pm

I went IR 2/4. Should I assume I was dinged or is there still hope for me?

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 pm

please... wrote:I went IR 2/4. Should I assume I was dinged or is there still hope for me?

Why should you assume anything?

please...

Postby please... » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:39 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
please... wrote:I went IR 2/4. Should I assume I was dinged or is there still hope for me?

IDK... but every day of waiting to hear back from admissions is making me more and more negatively fatalistic. I'm sure I am not the only one out there that checks the status checker a billion times a day. It simply isn't good for my health to want something so bad...

My crazy rantings are over- for now. I just finished my first cup of coffee and feel a little better. :shock:

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 pm

please... wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

IDK... but every day of waiting to hear back from admissions is making me more and more negatively fatalistic. I'm sure I am not the only one out there that checks the status checker a billion times a day. It simply isn't good for my health to want something so bad...

My crazy rantings are over- for now. I just finished my first cup of coffee and feel a little better. :shock:

I wish I had your powers of assumption. I'd like to assume that Katy Perry is currently scouring facebook to find my contact information, because a passionate night of lovemaking with me is on her bucket list.

I'll let you know how it goes.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Just got scholly info.

6k a year + instate. Contingent on remaining in good standing. 3.34 166

Pretty stoked right now. I have a few other irons in the fire but UW is making it very hard to pass them up right now.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm

theavrock wrote:Just got scholly info.

Pretty stoked right now. I have a few other irons in the fire but UW is making it very hard to pass them up right now.

When were you admitted?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 pm

were you instate or is that part of the scholly?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Flips88 wrote:

When were you admitted?

+1

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

dreakol wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

When were you admitted?

+1

I looked through his posts. I think he was accepted at the very end of December. He also said he lived for 26 years in Wisconsin but now lives in Mexico. So that would make him a non-traditional I assume. I assume the scholarship stipulation is in state tuition + 6k, which takes it from being like 38k a year to only 12k a year.

ETA: I'm visiting the school next Thursday, so I hope to know scholarship info by then. I have a meeting with the Dean of Admissions/Financial Aid, so maybe they're just going to wait till I'm there to tell me?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dreakol wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

When were you admitted?

+1

I looked through his posts. I think he was accepted in the very end of December. He also said he lived for 26 years in Wisconsin but now lives in Mexico. So that would make him a non-traditional I assume. I assume the scholarship stipulation is in state tuition + 6k, which takes it from being like 38k a year to only 12k a year.

tyty.

If wisconsin gave me that offer, I'd probably take it.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:27 pm

dreakol wrote:
tyty.

If wisconsin gave me that offer, I'd probably take it.

It would definitely put them at the top of my list. My LSAT is right around his, but my GPA is astronomically better, so I hope to get a good offer.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Flips you do good discovery work.

I was admitted Dec 29th submitted very early on. In October I believe.

I am a non trad will be 28 soon. Was born and raised in Wisconsin. Currently live in new Mexico but qualify for in state because I graduated from hs in Wisconsin and my parents still live in state.

Yea I am looking at 12k a year before col which makes it the cheapest school on my list and one of the best. Not interested in big law so I am fairly debt averse.

I could see myself living in wisconsin but am not dead set by any means.

Plan right now is to try and negotiate some of my other acceptances based on madisons offer and see where that leaves me before making a decision.

If you held a gun to my head right now though I'd probably say im a badger come fall 2011

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 pm

theavrock wrote:Flips you do good discovery work.

I am a non trad will be 28 soon. Was born and raised in Wisconsin. Currently live in new Mexico but qualify for in state because I graduated from hs in Wisconsin and my parents still live in state.

Yea I am looking at 12k a year before col which makes it the cheapest school on my list and one of the best. Not interested in big law so I am fairly debt averse.

Plan right now is to try and negotiate some of my other acceptances based on madisons offer and see where that leaves me before making a decision.

If you held a gun to my head right now though I'd probably say im a badger come fall 2011

ok ok. I've heard some schools wave oos tuition but you actually qualify for in state tuition.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:44 pm

dreakol wrote:
theavrock wrote:Flips you do good discovery work.

ok ok. I've heard some schools wave oos tuition but you actually qualify for in state tuition.

That's correct. The in-state was not part of the scholly. I qualified for it based on their tuition policies. Sorry for any confusion.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”