UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Regionality

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby Regionality » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:14 pm

ash8309 wrote:
twairlines wrote:
Regionality wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Waitlisted as well via email. 163/3.0. I think they take "the likelihood that you will enroll if admitted" very seriously. It's difficult for me to write that letter/email this early in my cycle (still waiting on 5-6 schools that I would really want to go to)...any others?

um sorry to burst your bubble but you were definitely not YP...you are borderline...3.0 is weak.

Wow, no reason to attack the dude. He was not implying YP, but rather that through his personal statement he may not have exhibited his desire to attend, coupled with the lack of supplemental essays, and/or no ties to the area.

Thanks. I'm actually a she though, not a he. :) And yes, was not implying YP. I do have nearly 5 years WE in D.C. for global security think tanks, international research and WE. I will write the LOCI - they do have an interesting Global Legal Studies program and I have family in Madison and Milwaukee (East Coast transplant, Iowa native).

I wasn't attacking...but suggesting that WI takes their 'likelihood you will enroll if admitted very seriously' is the exact same thing as YP...it means they are protecting their yield, which in order to do forces them to assess whether you would be a positive or negative yield. Definitely write the LOCI as I think it would make a positive difference. I wasn't attacking anyone. BTW, I'm a 1L at Wisconsin and I know the new admissions woman if anyone has any Q's about the process or the school.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Regionality wrote:
twairlines wrote:
Regionality wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Waitlisted as well via email. 163/3.0. I think they take "the likelihood that you will enroll if admitted" very seriously. It's difficult for me to write that letter/email this early in my cycle (still waiting on 5-6 schools that I would really want to go to)...any others?

um sorry to burst your bubble but you were definitely not YP...you are borderline...3.0 is weak.

Wow, no reason to attack the dude. He was not implying YP, but rather that through his personal statement he may not have exhibited his desire to attend, coupled with the lack of supplemental essays, and/or no ties to the area.

I wasn't attacking...but suggesting that WI takes their 'likelihood you will enroll if admitted very seriously' is the exact same thing as YP...it means they are protecting their yield, which in order to do forces them to assess whether you would be a positive or negative yield. Definitely write the LOCI as I think it would make a positive difference. I wasn't attacking anyone. BTW, I'm a 1L at Wisconsin and I know the new admissions woman if anyone has any Q's about the process or the school.

FWIW, the 'likelihood you will enroll is admitted" thing was taken directly from the email I got: "If you have a special interest in attending the Law School, we encourage you to send us a letter or e-mail in which you speak specifically to that interest and the likelihood that you would enroll if admitted." It was also underlined in my email.

Are all waitlist emails the same? Thanks all.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 pm

ash8309 wrote:FWIW, the 'likelihood you will enroll is admitted" thing was taken directly from the email I got: "If you have a special interest in attending the Law School, we encourage you to send us a letter or e-mail in which you speak specifically to that interest and the likelihood that you would enroll if admitted." It was also underlined in my email.

Are all waitlist emails the same? Thanks all.

Mine said the same.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Does anyone know if it is better to send a LOCI as an actual letter or is email acceptable?

I physically mailed my LOCI. Emails can be deleted over overlooked, plus an actual letter stands a better chance of getting put in your file. I just feel like if its a postmarked letter, they're going to have to take the time to open and read it.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:43 pm

IamAskier wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Does anyone know if it is better to send a LOCI as an actual letter or is email acceptable?

I physically mailed my LOCI. Emails can be deleted over overlooked, plus an actual letter stands a better chance of getting put in your file. I just feel like if its a postmarked letter, they're going to have to take the time to open and read it.

Eh. I know lots of schools prefer emails. I would suggest printing it out, signing it, and scanning it and attaching it as a PDF.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:
IamAskier wrote:

Eh. I know lots of schools prefer emails. I would suggest printing it out, signing it, and scanning it and attaching it as a PDF.

Maybe the physical letter will make me more memorable... :lol: or annoy the shit out of them.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 pm

IamAskier wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
IamAskier wrote:

Maybe the physical letter will make me more memorable... :lol: or annoy the shit out of them.

yea pieces of paper are so annoying...especially in offices with files and desks and things like that.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 am

Go Pack Go!!!

Celebrate tonight those in Packer Nation!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 am

theavrock wrote:Go Pack Go!!!

PACKERS! Bump in Wisconsin Law applications because of Rose Bowl and Superbowl win?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Got an email from them today about ASW and deadlines and such.

They want a decision on whether you will attend or not by April 11th. Is it me or is that pretty early? It's obviously not a firm deadline because it says you can put that you are uncertain and decide later.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah, got the same email today. It seems early given that they haven't began rendering scholarship info as of yet. I mean, if that info isn't released by March, I don't see that as being beneficial to them, because a lot of students may miss the boat on registering for the early ASW, and will only have one other weekend open (and they may be planning on visiting another school at that later date). Most seat deposits only begin in April, yet Wisconsin seems to want a final word that early, which may not be binding as seat deposits typically are not. Hope more info comes soon as I'm excited to visit Madison.

don_geis

Postby don_geis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 am

twairlines wrote:Yeah, got the same email today. It seems early given that they haven't began rendering scholarship info as of yet. I mean, if that info isn't released by March, I don't see that as being beneficial to them, because a lot of students may miss the boat on registering for the early ASW, and will only have one other weekend open (and they may be planning on visiting another school at that later date). Most seat deposits only begin in April, yet Wisconsin seems to want a final word that early, which may not be binding as seat deposits typically are not. Hope more info comes soon as I'm excited to visit Madison.

I'm fairly certain that UW does not have an actual seat deposit. All you have to do is say "yes" or "no." Since it is normal to deposit as more than one school, I see no problem telling them that you plan on attending, if in fact UW is a serious consideration.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:08 am

I may or may not remember anything that happened between 6:30 PM Sunday night and Noon on Monday. Actually, I do remember my Crim Pro class was half full...

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Anyone get any financial aid letters/emails yet?

jessjess

Postby jessjess » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Finally just heard back.... denied.... hopefully I get some serious financial aid from Marquette

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Panther7 wrote:

I may or may not remember anything that happened between 6:30 PM Sunday night and Noon on Monday. Actually, I do remember my Crim Pro class was half full...

I like your style. Unfortunately I had to be on an airplane for work at 7 am. Needless to say that was a rough morning.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:22 pm

rejected outright today. sucks. Definitely would have gone there too.

161 LSAT, 3.2 ugpa, 3.5 undergrad business gpa

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:44 pm

aknecht wrote:rejected outright today. sucks. Definitely would have gone there too.

161 LSAT, 3.2 ugpa, 3.5 undergrad business gpa

Not a WI resident I assume?

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 pm

nope, IL.

bucky0486

Postby bucky0486 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Has anyone who sent in a LOCI heard back from UW confirming that they at least received the letter? Does it show up on the online status checker?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 pm

yeah... they said it has been received, but nothing else

bucky0486

Postby bucky0486 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

red_alertz wrote:yeah... they said it has been received, but nothing else

Via status checker or email? Did you send a hard copy or did you email them?

I sent them mine through the mail last week and have not heard back yet.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 pm

bucky0486 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:yeah... they said it has been received, but nothing else

Via status checker or email? Did you send a hard copy or did you email them?

I sent them mine through the mail last week and have not heard back yet.

i emailed, and mailed a copy too, but reply was by e-mail, not by checker, if u mailed, takes times, no need to worry

Shanker626

Postby Shanker626 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I emailed mine and got an email saying it had been received and placed in my file but nothing changed on my online checker

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Shanker626 wrote:I emailed mine and got an email saying it had been received and placed in my file but nothing changed on my online checker

what's the change on your online checker?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”