UW-Madison 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BackToTheOldHouse

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Wow, this is really exciting. I heart UW and am really hoping to be admitted. Submitted 11/29 -----> Complete 12/6 -----> Under Review 12/7 ------- Decision Rendered . . . . ????? probably not for another week/after winter break!

Again, congrats to those admitted!

CashR

Postby CashR » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:11 pm

In at Madison. I went complete 12/06 and received the e-mail today. I am really excited about this. I definitely did not have auto-admit numbers (3.17/163/middle class white guy), but my five years of active-duty military service must have carried me.

mandaleni23

Postby mandaleni23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:29 pm

CashR wrote:In at Madison. I went complete 12/06 and received the e-mail today. I am really excited about this. I definitely did not have auto-admit numbers (3.17/163/middle class white guy), but my five years of active-duty military service must have carried me.

Congratulations!

Are you a WI resident?

CashR

Postby CashR » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:
CashR wrote:In at Madison. I went complete 12/06 and received the e-mail today. I am really excited about this. I definitely did not have auto-admit numbers (3.17/163/middle class white guy), but my five years of active-duty military service must have carried me.

Congratulations!

Are you a WI resident?

I am not technically a resident, but I do qualify for in-state tuition. If you graduated from a WI high school, and your parents still live in the state, you qualify as a resident for tuition purposes.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:35 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:

Congratulations!

Are you a WI resident?

Would like to know the answer to this too. Are all the admits today WI residents? Come on UW, give a Cali brother some love! :D

edited because I was late

morganonthecoast

Postby morganonthecoast » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm a WI resident

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:44 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
mandaleni23 wrote:

Congratulations!

Are you a WI resident?

Would like to know the answer to this too. Are all the admits today WI residents? Come on UW, give a Cali brother some love! :D

edited because I was late

I'm out of state.

Jen Loblaw

Postby Jen Loblaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:44 pm

no residency or connection of any sort to WI

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Okay, so it is not just Wisconsinites that have heard back, now we can all keep refreshing our email today. :P

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm a WI resident.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:08 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:I'm a WI resident.

yoitsmebenny, I just saw over on the Michigan thread that you were admitted there. Congratulations! Pretty big day for you it sounds like!

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

yoitsmebenny, I just saw over on the Michigan thread that you were admitted there. Congratulations! Pretty big day for you it sounds like!

After the pummeling we took with snow this weekend, it's been a very successful Monday.

Judging by your avatar, I'm sure you are also excited by the possibilities of attending Wisco or Michigan and getting to see some "Eddie Shore old time hockey" while there. How's your cycle going?

forward

Postby forward » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Good luck to everyone in this thread. I'm a Wisco alum - you'll love it here (if you can deal with the snow and cold... :mrgreen: )

Snoring Meatball

Postby Snoring Meatball » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm a resident for tuition (and admissions) purposes, but I live in Virginia.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

After the pummeling we took with snow this weekend, it's been a very successful Monday.

Judging by your avatar, I'm sure you are also excited by the possibilities of attending Wisco or Michigan and getting to see some "Eddie Shore old time hockey" while there. How's your cycle going?

Hah, I didn't know if any TLSers would recognize my tar. Definitely wouldn't mind watching/playing some hockey wherever I end up.

My cycle just got off the ground (got my apps submitted in the days prior to Thanksgiving), and I haven't heard back yet from anyone. Under review at several, but no movement yet (I know that realistically I shouldn't be too anxious as I probably won't be hearing back until Jan-Feb).

Come on Wisconsin, be my first!?!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:57 pm

forward21 wrote:Good luck to everyone in this thread. I'm a Wisco alum - you'll love it here (if you can deal with the snow and cold... :mrgreen: )

For undergrad or JD? If JD, can you shine any light on some of the negative posts above regarding job placement?

forward

Postby forward » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:52 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
forward21 wrote:Good luck to everyone in this thread. I'm a Wisco alum - you'll love it here (if you can deal with the snow and cold... :mrgreen: )

For undergrad or JD? If JD, can you shine any light on some of the negative posts above regarding job placement?

Undergrad. A few years out. That said, I know a number of current JDs and recent JD grads, either through my WE or time as an undergrad.

I heard - and this could be inaccurate - that roughly 50% of the last class was without work. I'm not sure when that figure came about, but I think it was upon graduation. A close friend from my childhood, however, made it out to NYC for BigLaw. She was in the upper part of the class (I'm guessing top 10%), so it's not like you can't get a job if you study hard.

My speculation: one of the attractive features of UW is diploma privilege. Given the high number of folks who attend UW and are from Wisconsin, many want to stay and practice in the state - especially when you throw in a bar exam exemption. That said, the Madison legal market is difficult to crack because it's small. Milwaukee isn't as bad, but it also has Marquette - a greatly inferior school, but one that for whatever reason places well in Milwaukee due to its location. So, you knock out Wisconsin's two biggest cities, and there isn't much left. The large firms have tiny offices across the various regions, but those positions are typically filled by folks who have families and are otherwise established. I would venture that most folks don't attend UW with the idea of founding or working in a small, low-cost mom-and-pop firm in Fond du Lac.

When you get out of Wisconsin, to Minneapolis or Chicago, there's far greater competition. Minnesota's ranked higher and there are four law schools in the Twin Cities (in fact, this is reputably one of the most over-saturated markets for its size) and Chicago has UChi, Northwestern, a number of others, and draws from the Midwest regional schools and other nationals. It isn't that the UW degree or education is bad, but there seems to be a squeeze given some of the factors it faces.

Again, this is just speculation, so don't take it to the bank. This all said, I wouldn't have traded my years at UW for anything in the world. It's an incredibly special place.

calihopeful

Postby calihopeful » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:24 am

In today as well. However, I will be withdrawing so hopefully one of you whos waiting will get my spot.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:27 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:

Hah, I didn't know if any TLSers would recognize my tar. Definitely wouldn't mind watching/playing some hockey wherever I end up.

My cycle just got off the ground (got my apps submitted in the days prior to Thanksgiving), and I haven't heard back yet from anyone. Under review at several, but no movement yet (I know that realistically I shouldn't be too anxious as I probably won't be hearing back until Jan-Feb).

Come on Wisconsin, be my first!?!

Ha, I played hockey for a number of years when I was younger. Slap Shot is kind of one of those movies that just about everyone who plays hockey has seen, but really no one else has.

Best wishes on your cycle!

wisco

Postby wisco » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 am

I don't think I had auto admit numbers (LSAT 161 GPA 3.81), but I was accepted via email yesterday. From viewing other forums from previous years I thought for sure I was a waitlist candidate. That just proves to show these forums are somewhat bogus. Good luck to those still waiting!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:55 am

wisco wrote:I don't think I had auto admit numbers (LSAT 161 GPA 3.81), but I was accepted via email yesterday. From viewing other forums from previous years I thought for sure I was a waitlist candidate. That just proves to show these forums are somewhat bogus. Good luck to those still waiting!

Judging by your screen-name, I'm guessing you're WI resident?

wisco

Postby wisco » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 am

Yup.

kalede

Postby kalede » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Got an email from Wisconsin today. I started reading "We are pleased to let you know..." and got excited. And then the sentence ended "...that we have received your CAS report."

There should be some sort of rule against using that phrase to start emails that are not acceptance notifications.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
wisco wrote:That just proves to show these forums are somewhat bogus.

What is this I don't even

??? where did this come from ???

or

??? from where did this come ???

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
wisco wrote:That just proves to show these forums are somewhat bogus.

What is this I don't even

??? where did this come from ???

or

??? from where did this come ???

Bottom of the last page - "Wisco"'s first post.

Oh yea, RC fail.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”