UW-Madison 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
obrienfa

Bronze

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Post by obrienfa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:14 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:My status just updated to "In Review 12/3" also.
I just called them myself and the woman I spoke said "for those already In Review, you can expect a decision within the next 6 to 8 weeks."
They must be really behind.

I might die waiting...I have been complete since 9/4. When I first called the admissions office in October, the woman told me that they would start sending decisions mid-November. She said that members of admissions committee were traveling for various recruiting fairs until then. Then I got the email that said December. Now we're looking at January...
I called in mid november about an addendum and was told something along those lines. I forgot to call today but now I am worried what I was told wasn't true and my application will be fucked because I didn't send in the addendum.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Barbie wrote:
jessjess wrote:I was in for a tour at Madison this past Friday. After the tour, I met with someone in the admissions office and she told me that they are looking over applications starting this week, 12/6. She told me I can expect an answer mid January based on when I got my application in. Not sure what the official time frame is for the decision process but that is the info that I got.
Abouts when did you get your app in :)
Bump because I'd like to know this as well.

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:56 pm

If any more of you cats come by for a tour, let me know and we can go grab a beer or something. I can tell you all about life in Madison. I live right by Camp Randall, which is like a half mile from the law school.

mandaleni23

New

Post by mandaleni23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm

jessjess wrote:
I was in for a tour at Madison this past Friday. After the tour, I met with someone in the admissions office and she told me that they are looking over applications starting this week, 12/6. She told me I can expect an answer mid January based on when I got my application in. Not sure what the official time frame is for the decision process but that is the info that I got.
Barbie wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
+1

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:
jessjess wrote:
I was in for a tour at Madison this past Friday. After the tour, I met with someone in the admissions office and she told me that they are looking over applications starting this week, 12/6. She told me I can expect an answer mid January based on when I got my application in. Not sure what the official time frame is for the decision process but that is the info that I got.
Barbie wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
+1
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jessjess

New

Post by jessjess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 pm

I sent in my application 11/14

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:52 pm

jessjess wrote:I sent in my application 11/14
So, 6-8 weeks, pretty much, probably from when you were actually complete.

Hopefully that means that those of us who submitted in September will hear soon :D

jessjess

New

Post by jessjess » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:57 pm

You'll hear before I do for sure.

I'm not the most patient person in the world. I would like to know now. :)

mandaleni23

New

Post by mandaleni23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Phew! That is good news. That means those of us who applied in September are looking at less than six weeks (hopefully...).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firecracker

New

Post by firecracker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:00 am

Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 am

firecracker wrote:Scholarship Application Link e-mail = heart attack
+1.... wtf does that mean?

I read it and it looks like a generic email they probably sent to all applicants... did anybody NOT get a scholarship email?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:10 am

ns77770 wrote:
lol, it means you need to fill it out, silly! Maybe they are going to make scholarship offers WITH acceptances. They obv have to send this email out to everyone, otherwise we would know who was in/out already. So fill it out if you want some $$ :P

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
lol, it means you need to fill it out, silly! Maybe they are going to make scholarship offers WITH acceptances. They obv have to send this email out to everyone, otherwise we would know who was in/out already. So fill it out if you want some $$ :P
Haha yes yes.... TIme to go get coffee so I can possibly have a rational thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mandaleni23

New

Post by mandaleni23 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I am sooo glad I read this on hear before I saw that email! It would have been another heart attack followed by quite a nasty disappointment.

Not unlike when I received a BIG envelope in the mail from UW shortly after I applied only to find that it was marketing materials...

Quit playin' games with my heart...

ht2988

Bronze

Post by ht2988 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 pm

In Review (12/8)

mandaleni23

New

Post by mandaleni23 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

ht2988 wrote:In Review (12/8)
Did you get one of those scholarship application emails, too?

morganonthecoast

New

Post by morganonthecoast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:03 pm

In review 12/3

As for the scholarship e-mail, most of the questions on the application seem like they apply more to need-based students, and I'm definitely not. Is anyone writing a brief narrative not geared to economic/life hardships and instead more "I deserve merit money because I'm an awesome student and here's why"?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yoitsmebenny

Bronze

Post by yoitsmebenny » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:04 pm

morganonthecoast wrote:In review 12/3

As for the scholarship e-mail, most of the questions on the application seem like they apply more to need-based students, and I'm definitely not. Is anyone writing a brief narrative not geared to economic/life hardships and instead more "I deserve merit money because I'm an awesome student and here's why"?
It asked about working during your education, so I wrote a lot about that as well.

mandaleni23

New

Post by mandaleni23 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
morganonthecoast wrote:In review 12/3

It asked about working during your education, so I wrote a lot about that as well.
+1

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 pm

So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:51 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?
I'm not planning to do it until a decision. I don't see the point since it's not due until Feb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:54 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:So, for the scholarship form, is anyone considering holding off on filling it out until you receive your decision? For some reason I feel hesitant about filling out the form and turning them off (I really like my application as it stands and I don't want to F*** it up by writing something lame / out of keeping with the tone of the rest of docs I submitted).

Thoughts?
I couldn't agree with you more. I think I'm going to sit back and see what happens before doing something like this. I just went Under Review today...and I don't want to do anything that could hurt my application in any way.

Although by filling out the application, it could also show increased interest in the school.

All in all...I have absolutely no idea...I overthink these things. (I'll probably sit on my hands though and see what happens before jumping the gun)

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Underground404 wrote:

Thoughts?
I couldn't agree with you more. I think I'm going to sit back and see what happens before doing something like this. I just went Under Review today...and I don't want to do anything that could hurt my application in any way.

Although by filling out the application, it could also show increased interest in the school.

All in all...I have absolutely no idea...I overthink these things. (I'll probably sit on my hands though and see what happens before jumping the gun)
Yea, I'm the same way--I can see how acting early could be perceived as added interest, which could be a good thing. But then I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot somehow.

Probably WAAAAYYYY over thinking it.

I have only been "In Review" since 12/7 and am already feeling like this is taking forever! UW is my top choice and it would be great to hear something back before the Christmas break, but I don't think that's happening . . .

mandaleni23

New

Post by mandaleni23 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Thoughts?
I referred back to my application documents to briefly summarize some of the points I already made, and basically used it as a LOCI-type opportunity. I wrote a quick draft and reviewed it a little bit before I sent it, and ended it with a brief "Why UW" statement.

I can't imagine that it would hurt an application too much. First of all, I don't think that anyone will even review it unless you're being strongly considered for admission. Secondly, if you have a strong enough application, I would think that the scholarship application would only affect your scholarship money (if any.)

I do, however, see your point. If I hadn't submitted it already, I would have given waiting some serious thought.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:28 pm

mandaleni23 wrote:

Thoughts?
I referred back to my application documents to briefly summarize some of the points I already made, and basically used it as a LOCI-type opportunity. I wrote a quick draft and reviewed it a little bit before I sent it, and ended it with a brief "Why UW" statement.

I can't imagine that it would hurt an application too much. First of all, I don't think that anyone will even review it unless you're being strongly considered for admission. Secondly, if you have a strong enough application, I would think that the scholarship application would only affect your scholarship money (if any.)

I do, however, see your point. If I hadn't submitted it already, I would have given waiting some serious thought.
I like your course of action. Like I said, I know I am over thinking this shit, but that's kind of how I roll (for better [sometimes] or for worse [sometimes as well]).

Best of luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”