UW-Madison 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
therock

New

Re: UW-Madison 2011

Post by therock » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 am

metallaura wrote:
RUM wrote:I got in on 3-31-11 with a 3.35 and 164/159. Really excited, also would have to turn down $$ at Chicago Kent, but i think it might be worth it, just hard to do. I did just visit again yesterday and met with Rebecca Scheller, who is incredibly nice and really helpful. She said that scholarships are considered on a rolling basis and will continue to come out through june even i think. She also said yes some people from the waitlist do usually get scholarships.

What does everyone think about UW v. Chicago-kent with $$. I know UW is better in wisconsin and i'm open to practicing in wisconsin but would like chicago more. What does everyone think?
Chicago Kent is a really good school. If you would like Chicago more, then consider it. (and I am not just saying this because I am waitlisted at Madison. lol) but I did get in at Kent and I would totally go but I think I would hate Chicago.

I am afraid they will not offer any money since their fund is very limited, plus their budget has been cut by the state. The best scenario is the tuition rises moderately but not crazily. Don't follow Cali law schools.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:41 pm

I just got waitlisted with a 160/3.78, WI resident. I also sent a stellar LOCI. Anyone have any insight on my chances of when/if I get admitted?

I wish I would have retaken the LSAT but the December one was right in the middle of finals and I thought the Feb one would be too late. So I got a 160 my first and only shot, although I know I would have done better if I took it a second time and then I would have been in like flynn at WI. :/ oh well you live and you learn I guess.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:47 pm

therock wrote:
metallaura wrote:
RUM wrote:I got in on 3-31-11 with a 3.35 and 164/159. Really excited, also would have to turn down $$ at Chicago Kent, but i think it might be worth it, just hard to do. I did just visit again yesterday and met with Rebecca Scheller, who is incredibly nice and really helpful. She said that scholarships are considered on a rolling basis and will continue to come out through june even i think. She also said yes some people from the waitlist do usually get scholarships.

What does everyone think about UW v. Chicago-kent with $$. I know UW is better in wisconsin and i'm open to practicing in wisconsin but would like chicago more. What does everyone think?
Chicago Kent is a really good school. If you would like Chicago more, then consider it. (and I am not just saying this because I am waitlisted at Madison. lol) but I did get in at Kent and I would totally go but I think I would hate Chicago.

I am afraid they will not offer any money since their fund is very limited, plus their budget has been cut by the state. The best scenario is the tuition rises moderately but not crazily. Don't follow Cali law schools.
I'm in a similar boat, I got $$ at Kent and waitlisted at WI, hoping to get in. WI is my first choice so if I get in there I'm going. I might even pick William Mitchell over Kent simply because I am not a huge fan of Chicago. However, if you love Chicago and plan to work there after graduation, you will have much better connections and job opportunities at Kent.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Chris_cpb wrote:Ah some nice memories on State st good luck! I was born there too.
Oh yes, and the farmer's market on the capitol square every Saturday. You shouldn't ever have to go grocery shopping ;)

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
theavrock wrote:From what I remember Madison has something like a 60% in state quota so there is some preference for in state.
Oh okay. Someone had told me they prefer out of state which I thought was strange.
definitely not. They prefer in state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:36 am

For those of you that received scholarship offers, did they come with your admit packet?

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:59 am

no.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Anyone go to the ASD and have their experience to share? My visit was during spring break so I didn't get to see any classes

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Flips88 wrote:Anyone go to the ASD and have their experience to share? My visit was during spring break so I didn't get to see any classes
I was there. Didn't get to see any classes but they had a mock class with Cecilia Klingele. She was very engaging and impressive as was her resume. She spent four years clerking after graduating from UW including 2 in the Supreme Court.

Overall everything was as expected. The building itself is pretty blah, but I could care less about the building. It would be nice to have a beautiful building but it doesn't break a school for me.

The students I talked to (those part of the program and others) were pretty positive and open. All said career services were very helpful but it would be silly to rely solely on them for a job. All were very impressed with the faculty and had great things to say about them.

My biggest questions were answered and now I just have to decide what I want to do.
Last edited by theavrock on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jwjbaek

New

Post by jwjbaek » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm

dinged :(

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Just got in off the WL. Would love to hear about any scholarship offers fellow WL'ers to Admits received! W/O $$, it's unlikely I will attend.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

theavrock wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Anyone go to the ASD and have their experience to share? My visit was during spring break so I didn't get to see any classes
I was there. Didn't get to see any classes but they had a mock class with Cecilia Klugele. She was very engaging and impressive as was her resume. She spent four years clerking after graduating from UW including 2 in the Supreme Court.

Overall everything was as expected. The building itself is pretty blah, but I could care less about the building. It would be nice to have a beautiful building but it doesn't break a school for me.

The students I talked to (those part of the program and others) were pretty positive and open. All said career services were very helpful but it would be silly to rely solely on them for a job. All were very impressed with the faculty and had great things to say about them.

My biggest questions were answered and now I just have to decide what I want to do.
Just to clarify, it's Cecilia Klingele, and she's very impressive! (I'm a 1L who's had her as a teacher)

I'm surprised you thought the building was blah...it sits perched atop Bascom Hill...the library has a 3 story massive window overlooking the central quad which makes for an awesome study location. The central atrium is pretty cool and modern, and all the classrooms are fully-equipped.

Why'd you think it was blah?

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm

ash8309 wrote:Just got in off the WL. Would love to hear about any scholarship offers fellow WL'ers to Admits received! W/O $$, it's unlikely I will attend.
Congrats! Are you in-state? When did you apply? (I'm also on WL)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:05 pm

admitted off the waitlist today

OOS

I feel bad saying this but now that I'm in that OOS tuition is a big turn off.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Swent88 wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Just got in off the WL. Would love to hear about any scholarship offers fellow WL'ers to Admits received! W/O $$, it's unlikely I will attend.
Congrats! Are you in-state? When did you apply? (I'm also on WL)
I'm out of state. I applied mid January and was waitlisted end of Feb.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 pm

Regionality wrote:
theavrock wrote:
I was there. Didn't get to see any classes but they had a mock class with Cecilia Klugele. She was very engaging and impressive as was her resume. She spent four years clerking after graduating from UW including 2 in the Supreme Court.

Just to clarify, it's Cecilia Klingele, and she's very impressive! (I'm a 1L who's had her as a teacher)

I'm surprised you thought the building was blah...it sits perched atop Bascom Hill...the library has a 3 story massive window overlooking the central quad which makes for an awesome study location. The central atrium is pretty cool and modern, and all the classrooms are fully-equipped.

Why'd you think it was blah?
Sorry about that. I edited the original post. Thats what I get for typing quickly at the airport on my phone.

I'm not sure what it was about the building. I'll agree that the atrium and Bascom Hill were great. That was about all I liked though to be honest. Everything else seemed old and dated. Don't get me wrong it wasn't like it was bad, but it wasn't overly impressive. That's what I meant when I said blah. Not great, not bad. Just kind of whatever.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 pm

Anyone who's been accepted, what's the deposit deadline?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am

metallaura wrote:Anyone who's been accepted, what's the deposit deadline?
There's no monetary deposit IIRC. You have to answer something by midnight tonight: http://law.wisc.edu/prospective/admissi ... lment.html but can remain uncertain until May 1st I think

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm

My status has been "In Review" for two weeks. Is this normal?

I'll be getting dinged, for sure, but I'd like to just get on with my life...

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:03 pm

gens1tb wrote:admitted off the waitlist today

OOS

You shouldn't feel bad. There are plenty of us on the waitlist ready to jump at your spot.

lawyeriA

New

Post by lawyeriA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:02 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:

OOS

You shouldn't feel bad. There are plenty of us on the waitlist ready to jump at your spot.

but out of state tuition is just so much

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm

lawyeriA wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

OOS

stop whining. OOS tuition is less than private school tuition.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm

lawyeriA wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

OOS

I thought he meant that he felt bad because now that he got in he's having second thoughts.

I'm going to be on the waitlist for as long as I can, so if anyone else feels that the OOS is too much to swallow then I'll be more than happy to shackle myself into that debt.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:15 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
lawyeriA wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

OOS

I thought he meant that he felt bad because now that he got in he's having second thoughts.

I'm going to be on the waitlist for as long as I can, so if anyone else feels that the OOS is too much to swallow then I'll be more than happy to shackle myself into that debt.
I wouldn't worry about it-- if he has a better option he'll take it...if he doesn't, he'll swallow the OOS tuition which is cheaper than any halfway decent private school's tuition.

lawyeriA

New

Post by lawyeriA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Regionality wrote:
lawyeriA wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

OOS

stop whining. OOS tuition is less than private school tuition.
I will whine when similar schools like ohio state allow you to reclassify yourself with the utmost ease and save half of your tuition price right there. And I will continue to whine when similar ranked schools like iowa give you far more generous aid packages. Freaken wisconsin and its budget problem

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”