University of Alabama Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RolllTide14
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby RolllTide14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Dany wrote:
RolllTide14 wrote:Thanks! Whatever you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

I visited during finals so I don't have too much experience with classes and the like. I will say that my friends at Alabama Law (and I have quite a few) really love it, and that the administrators I met (particularly the career services guy) were fantastic.

But more importantly I do have pictures if you want to see those! :D viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=3139663#p3139663


Thanks for the pictures! The red carpet looks intense, but something I could get used to. I'm so excited!

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 pm

RolllTide14 wrote:
Dany wrote:
RolllTide14 wrote:Thanks! Whatever you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

I visited during finals so I don't have too much experience with classes and the like. I will say that my friends at Alabama Law (and I have quite a few) really love it, and that the administrators I met (particularly the career services guy) were fantastic.

But more importantly I do have pictures if you want to see those! :D viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=3139663#p3139663


Thanks for the pictures! The red carpet looks intense, but something I could get used to. I'm so excited!


Actually they had replaced the red carpet by the time I visited with something a lot less memorable. Not that it's a decision maker but FYI. It was a very nice campus and there were a bunch of gorgeous rooms in the new wing. Good luck with your decision!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:50 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Actually they had replaced the red carpet by the time I visited with something a lot less memorable. Not that it's a decision maker but FYI. It was a very nice campus and there were a bunch of gorgeous rooms in the new wing. Good luck with your decision!

The red carpet is gone??? I'm going to have to go take a look. It really dated the building, IMO. I bet it looks great. And yeah, the new wing is SO pretty. Especially the clinics area.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby JakeL » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

Dany wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Actually they had replaced the red carpet by the time I visited with something a lot less memorable. Not that it's a decision maker but FYI. It was a very nice campus and there were a bunch of gorgeous rooms in the new wing. Good luck with your decision!

The red carpet is gone??? I'm going to have to go take a look. It really dated the building, IMO. I bet it looks great. And yeah, the new wing is SO pretty. Especially the clinics area.


If so, very interesting. I thought the library was very dated looking when I visited, glad they are making improvements.

scmatthews
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby scmatthews » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately?!

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Kabuo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:46 pm

I haven't heard anything since being asked if I remained interested, which was maybe 2 weeks ago.

leejh38
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby leejh38 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Kabuo wrote:I haven't heard anything since being asked if I remained interested, which was maybe 2 weeks ago.


If you don't mind me asking, what state are you from?

User avatar
samaside
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby samaside » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm

My status changed from "Complete - Ready for Review" to "Pending" today. Did we ever figure out what that actually means?

leejh38
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby leejh38 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 am

samaside wrote:My status changed from "Complete - Ready for Review" to "Pending" today. Did we ever figure out what that actually means?


I'm pretty sure that "Complete-Ready for Review" simply means you are not in review yet, but everything you need for review is there and "Pending" is when you're actually in review.

Deathcab
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Deathcab » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:28 pm

FWIW, the school is closed until Friday due to the tornadoes yesterday. There are over 30 dead in Tuscaloosa and over 160 dead in Alabama alone. There is no structural damage reported at the school but McFarland Ave. is completely destroyed in some areas and there are hundreds of people that had their entire homes destroyed.

Keep the whole area in your thoughts and prayers.

User avatar
samaside
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby samaside » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Definitely keeping Tuscaloosa in our prayers. My parents were down there with my little sisters just last week showing them the campus. I've said before that my parents are both alumni and they spent spring break in Tuscaloosa seeing the school, checking out the law school for me, and showing my sisters all around the city - where they were married, where they first lived as a couple, the bar they met in (which is now a restaurant), etc. We were up all night watching the news and trying to get in touch with friends down in the area. Glad to hear that the school has made it through. That was definitely a close call.

scmatthews
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby scmatthews » Sun May 01, 2011 8:56 am

Apparently I am a graduate of Alabama now. Our ceremony has been postponed to August, but I'm done with my undergraduate work. I've spent the past few days volunteering in the forest lake area of Tuscaloosa and I just can't imagine leaving this city. Originally, I was going to spend the summer in Ozark. Now I'm in Tuscaloosa, volunteering for the foreseeable future.

I'm just devastated. 39 dead and more than 400 missing. Campus was not hit at all, but one of the most popular business districts (not the Strip) has been dessimated. A neighborhood just outside Tuscaloosa, Alberta, is GONE. (My street is the closest to Alberta without having any damage. I was very fortunate) Support and resources has been pouring in to our city. Everyone's been amazing.

Please keep us in your prayers.

bzsmith
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby bzsmith » Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm

So I'm assuming if Status Checker says "Decision Made" before you receive an e-mail or phone call, you are denied?

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Albatross » Thu May 05, 2011 3:05 pm

bzsmith wrote:So I'm assuming if Status Checker says "Decision Made" before you receive an e-mail or phone call, you are denied?


Hate to break it to you, but that's what happened to me.

ga345
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby ga345 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:40 pm

I was wondering if anyone is still "Pending," I have had this status since mid December. I have thought about calling, but I realize they are dealing with bigger problems in Tuscaloosa right now. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

leejh38
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby leejh38 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I just noticed this...on LSN there have been NO Waitlist offers yet for Bama. Anyone out here been Waitlisted?

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Kabuo » Thu May 05, 2011 6:38 pm

leejh38 wrote:I just noticed this...on LSN there have been NO Waitlist offers yet for Bama. Anyone out here been Waitlisted?


Expecting one any day every since I told them I would need a full ride to consider them over WUSTL.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Kabuo wrote:
leejh38 wrote:I just noticed this...on LSN there have been NO Waitlist offers yet for Bama. Anyone out here been Waitlisted?


Expecting one any day every since I told them I would need a full ride to consider them over WUSTL.


Really weird cycle for someone with your numbers IMO...

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Kabuo » Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Really weird cycle for someone with your numbers IMO...


The 176 didn't come until March, which I think messed up a lot of stuff with rolling admissions since I was on hold everywhere til then because of it (was a 172 before). Still, UVA was surprising, Cornell rejection will end up a little surprising if it comes, and GULC was surprising. Everything else sort of makes sense to me. I have pretty much nothing going for me but my LSAT, so I don't think I should have expected a lot.

scmatthews
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby scmatthews » Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 am

ga345 wrote:I was wondering if anyone is still "Pending," I have had this status since mid December. I have thought about calling, but I realize they are dealing with bigger problems in Tuscaloosa right now. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.


I am still pending. I don't think they send out wait list notices. What happens is that they keep you pending until they decide if you are in or out. This is essentially a wait list and means you are still under consideration. One of my friends applied last year and they never even sent her a rejection letter, but she obviously didn't get in.

I have heard of MANY people who were accepted just days before orientation. My dad was accepted the day before the first day of class when he was in law school more than 30 years ago. I think it is just what they do.

I am sending my LOCI soon. Since the tornado I've been volunteering like crazy and I just can't leave! Really don't want to go to my second choice anymore.

User avatar
samaside
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby samaside » Fri May 06, 2011 9:41 am

Is there a thread anywhere that walks you through writing a good LOCI?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Dany » Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 pm

samaside wrote:Is there a thread anywhere that walks you through writing a good LOCI?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=60839

User avatar
samaside
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby samaside » Sun May 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks Dany!

Sorry to be a pain and ask more questions but... does anyone know when has the absolute latest people haved heard back from Alabama about an admissions decision? And what is generally normal? I know people have thrown out anecdotes about finding out right before registration but - sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question - when exactly is that?

I understand, too, that conditions on the ground could extend this cycle. Which is perfectly understandable. My parents - Alabama alumni - are just getting pretty anxious. So are my sisters who will likely be undergrads for my L2 and L3 years.

creader
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby creader » Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm

They sent out section notifications on Friday to those who are enrolling. If you aren't in now, it doesn't look good.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun May 08, 2011 6:15 pm

samaside wrote:Thanks Dany!

Sorry to be a pain and ask more questions but... does anyone know when has the absolute latest people haved heard back from Alabama about an admissions decision? And what is generally normal? I know people have thrown out anecdotes about finding out right before registration but - sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question - when exactly is that?

I understand, too, that conditions on the ground could extend this cycle. Which is perfectly understandable. My parents - Alabama alumni - are just getting pretty anxious. So are my sisters who will likely be undergrads for my L2 and L3 years.



I know people who got admissions decisions as late as early morning on the first day of school...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 0LawSchool, 20171lhopeful, Aquinas, freekick, genjustice, Houzy, katthegreat11, neptunian, nslaw123, phelpsy, ThorB, unrelated and 28 guests