University of Alabama Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
creader

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby creader » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:49 am

The bars have not moved in Athens. The only thing that has changed in the past five years or so is that police are more actively policing underaged drinking. For example, its no longer just a citation, you have to spend the night in jail. Additionally, the school has implemented a pretty strict alcohol policy that all students have to sign onto during their freshman year stating that if you are arrested for any alcohol related offense, you will be placed on probation for a year and if you get a second offense you will be suspended for a year (believe it or not I do know of a few kids who have been suspended for a year). Athens-Clarke County Police report their arrests to the school but outside of them it is up to the student honor code to report any violations so almost noone does. But in terms of physically moving the bar scene, aside from the usual openings and closings of the less successful bars, nothing has changed and nothing will change in dt Athens. It is separate from the school and the alcohol runs the economy, as much as the city council hates to admit it.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Dany wrote:Lol, Alabama is pretty terrible. I'm definitely excited about moving to a big, northern city. To each his own, I suppose.

Why would you even bother to post that on this thread? You do realize this thread is for people attending/hoping to attend?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

JakeL wrote:
Dany wrote:Lol, Alabama is pretty terrible. I'm definitely excited about moving to a big, northern city. To each his own, I suppose.

Why would you even bother to post that on this thread? You do realize this thread is for people attending/hoping to attend?

Because I've lived here for four years? If someone is worried that Alabama isn't NYC/Boston/DC, and a bunch of people chime in talking about how great Alabama is, that isn't exactly helpful, because Tuscaloosa IS NOT like those places. Extolling the virtues of Huntsville is pointless; Tuscaloosa =/= Huntsville. You'll also notice I said the bolded. Don't get annoyed by someone giving a differing opinion of the area.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Yea, "Alabama is terrible" is SOOO HELPFULLLLL! Thank you soooo much for adding some balance to this thread!

I think you just wanted to brag about going to T13. Congrats!

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Man Alabamans are sensitive... you'd think someone got on this thread and started asking about inbreeding per capita.

But thanks for the helpful replies

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 pm

lol yea please just withdraw. I'm not even from the South, I just realize how stupid your questions are as well as how worthless and unhelpful the Dany's comments were.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 pm

JakeL wrote:Yea, "Alabama is terrible" is SOOO HELPFULLLLL! Thank you soooo much for adding some balance to this thread!

I think you just wanted to brag about going to T13. Congrats!

--ImageRemoved--

For everyone else ITT - I loved my visit to Alabama Law and the school itself is fantastic. Alabama as a whole, however, has left a lot to be desired (obviously that's just my personal opinion). If you have not visited Tuscaloosa and are considering UA, I would highly recommend visiting first, as it is not for everyone, and especially not those who are looking for more of a large city feel.

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Alabama (the state) is one of those places you either love or hate. It's that simple. Go visit and see how it fits. T-Town is most definately different from the rest of the state though. The town itself is not a place I'd raise a family at, but I think it's suitable for a single adult to live in. But, change of subject...

I've been wondering how the in-state vs. out-of-state thing works at Bama. I know some public schools in surrounding states are only allowed by the state legislature to have a certain percentage of there acceptances be OOS. Anyone know if this is the case for Bama and, if it is the case, what that percentage is?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:52 pm

leejh38 wrote:I've been wondering how the in-state vs. out-of-state thing works at Bama. I know some public schools in surrounding states are only allowed by the state legislature to have a certain percentage of there acceptances be OOS. Anyone know if this is the case for Bama and, if it is the case, what that percentage is?

I have never heard this about Alabama, and in fact the administration has been increasing the percentage of OOS students over the past few years (UG). I don't think it's as much of an issue for law school because the last I heard the percentage of in-state students was 80%+. I think they have so many applicants/matriculants from Alabama that any requirement would be under what they already have enrolled.

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Dany wrote:
JakeL wrote:
Dany wrote: Extolling the virtues of Huntsville is pointless; Tuscaloosa =/= Huntsville.

I was just explaining about the "more modern" aspect of the state for the guy who asked. providing an example of opportunities to work in alabama/evidence that the state isn't stuck in 1862.

and i never said anything nice about Tuscaloosa. but how much worse could it be than Ithaca, NY for 3 years? that's a serious question actually. ha

leejh38

Postby leejh38 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Ok. I know Louisiana has such a requirement. The admissions office told me when I was accepted there that they can only allow 30% OOS in which makes it slightly more difficult to be accepted from OOS. Idk for sure, but I'm under the impression Tennessee has much of the same policy mainly from the Memphis application and admissions office that questioned intensely why, as an OOS applicant you wanted to study in TN. I didn't know if this was standard practice by state schools or not.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:and i never said anything nice about Tuscaloosa. but how much worse could it be than Ithaca, NY for 3 years? that's a serious question actually. ha

tbf, I'd probably hate Ithaca too. :D

I've never been so I can't compare.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 pm

leejh38 wrote:Ok. I know Louisiana has such a requirement. The admissions office told me when I was accepted there that they can only allow 30% OOS in which makes it slightly more difficult to be accepted from OOS. Idk for sure, but I'm under the impression Tennessee has much of the same policy mainly from the Memphis application and admissions office that questioned intensely why, as an OOS applicant you wanted to study in TN. I didn't know if this was standard practice by state schools or not.

Yeah I mean, there might be one, I just haven't heard of it. You could probably call admissions and ask if you're really curious. They're friendly!

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm

student body is 65-70% from Alabama, but i'm not sure what the hard requirements or limitations are.

JGStudent

Postby JGStudent » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 pm

So, I am new to this process of applying to universities because I was basically an auto-admit to my current school (I just wrote on a sheet of paper my contact info, GPA, and ACT score and was automatically admitted based on my numbers).

For those who did go through this process in undergrad and even grad school, do schools usually admit and reject people in waves? It seems like there have been times where a bunch of people got decisions all at once and then there are periods where it seems like there is no movement at all. I'm just wondering if that is just a coincidence with LSN and TLS and there is actually a steady trickle of decisions going out.

ssmith14

Postby ssmith14 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Got in today! Claude called around 2:30 pm! 158 and 3.8 GPA!!!

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:02 pm

ssmith14 wrote:Got in today! Claude called around 2:30 pm! 158 and 3.8 GPA!!!

URM? Either way, Congrats!!!!

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Congrats! Still waiting here..

ssmith14

Postby ssmith14 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Lol unless being a white male makes me a URM, then no.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:51 pm

I hate to solicit (and most certainly out myself to my classmates), but I've got an apartment for rent that may be interesting to some of you.

- Large 1 br/bth
- $695 a month
- 2 minute drive from the law school
- Gated Complex
- Free 1 year old washer and dryer
- 1 month Free rent

PM me for details

RolllTide14

Postby RolllTide14 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 am

I got the call this afternoon!! I'm IN!!!!!!! I did send in a type of LoCI Friday night after receiving an email that my application was under review. It was a short paragraph of a few sentences basically telling them that I would drop my other offers if they let me in. I guess it worked since they called me three days later!
158/3.86

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:46 am

RolllTide14 wrote:I got the call this afternoon!! I'm IN!!!!!!! I did send in a type of LoCI Friday night after receiving an email that my application was under review. It was a short paragraph of a few sentences basically telling them that I would drop my other offers if they let me in. I guess it worked since they called me three days later!
158/3.86

congrats!

RolllTide14

Postby RolllTide14 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 am

JakeL wrote:
RolllTide14 wrote:I got the call this afternoon!! I'm IN!!!!!!! I did send in a type of LoCI Friday night after receiving an email that my application was under review. It was a short paragraph of a few sentences basically telling them that I would drop my other offers if they let me in. I guess it worked since they called me three days later!
158/3.86

congrats!

Thank you so much! I almost felt bad for Page because she had to deal with me jumping and yelling. UA was definitely a reach for me.

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:20 am

I got a call yesterday afternoon from Paige letting me know that my app is going back into review and I should have a decision some time next week. She also wanted to know if I am still interested in the school. This was totally out of the blue since I had kind of given up home on Alambama given the "pending" status of my app.

bzsmith

Postby bzsmith » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 am

manhattandoll8 wrote:I got a call yesterday afternoon from Paige letting me know that my app is going back into review and I should have a decision some time next week. She also wanted to know if I am still interested in the school. This was totally out of the blue since I had kind of given up home on Alambama given the "pending" status of my app.

When did you go complete?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”