University of Alabama Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kabuo

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Kabuo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:01 pm

JGStudent wrote:
wester0 wrote:I've been pending for a few months now. When I called to ask what it meant I was told that it essentially means held.

What do you mean by held?

This is disappointing. I'm feeling way too apathetic about the whole application process to send in a LOCI to even my top choice, and I assume being held with competitive numbers means LOCI or YP.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:28 pm

is anyone else still at complete - ready for review? I have seat deposits due soon, and I need to be rejected so i can move on with my life.

JGStudent

Postby JGStudent » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Spookyghost wrote:is anyone else still at complete - ready for review? I have seat deposits due soon, and I need to be rejected so i can move on with my life.

I read through the forum created last year and it seems like Alabama is extremely apathetic toward seat deposit deadlines (and the sanity of their applicants). Some applicants were complete/pending in November and waited until the end of May/beginning of June to finally be rejected.

samaside

Postby samaside » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 am

Spookyghost wrote:is anyone else still at complete - ready for review? I have seat deposits due soon, and I need to be rejected so i can move on with my life.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Though I didn't apply until way late so I sort of expect it. I called the other day and they told me in person that my application was still in review so I don't know what that's worth. They are probably just lying to me because they don't want to come out and say "BTW, you're going to be rejected come May." Because I also expect rejection and would prefer to get it over with so my parents can give up this whole idea of me going there. I just hope ASU and Utah get back to me before my safety school deposit is due.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Do you think I should write a loci even though there has been no movement of my app? alabama is the only school I am still waiting on I care a significant deal about.

samaside

Postby samaside » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:16 pm

I am going to be completely honest with you. I have no idea what "loci" means. I felt pretty good when I figured out "scholly" on my own.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Letter of continued interest. It's mostly used for people who are waitlisted who want to express their continued desire to attend a school. Most people dont recommend it before a decision has been made because it seems obsessive, desperate, and may hold up your file even longer.

But at this point, who cares?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Spookyghost wrote:Letter of continued interest. It's mostly used for people who are waitlisted who want to express their continued desire to attend a school. Most people dont recommend it before a decision has been made because it seems obsessive, desperste, and may hold up your file even longer.

But at this point, who cares?

I don't think the bolded is true. It depends on how long you've been waiting.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Anyone else get an e-mail from Alabama asking if they were still interested in attending? Weird, it was like a reverse LOCI.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

suspicious android wrote:Anyone else get an e-mail from Alabama asking if they were still interested in attending? Weird, it was like a reverse LOCI.

I got it too. I haven't decided how to reply. I'm really not interested, especially because i'm assuming I won't get any $$ at this point. But I also just want to know.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 pm

LeDique wrote:I got it too. I haven't decided how to reply. I'm really not interested, especially because i'm assuming I won't get any $$ at this point. But I also just want to know.

I'm similarly pondering my reply. Although I would very seriously consider them if I got a full ride or close to it, I'm not really interested otherwise. If scholarship money is already used up I don't even really need to know, I'd just withdraw and be done with it. How to word this delicately?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Do you guys have scholarships from other schools? You might be able to mention that in the letter by saying that the $ is making your decision difficult, and that while you are still very interested in Alabama, you would need to compare financial aid offers before committing or something.

I think it's better to be honest, but that's just my 2¢.

Also I'm bored at work for like 2 more hours so if you need someone to look over the email I'm glad to.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Dany wrote:Do you guys have scholarships from other schools? You might be able to mention that in the letter by saying that the $ is making your decision difficult, and that while you are still very interested in Alabama, you would need to compare financial aid offers before committing or something.

Also I'm bored at work for like 2 more hours so if you need someone to look over the email I'm glad to.

Dude how do you get the cent symbol on your computer, that's awesome.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:07 pm

bergg007 wrote:Dude how do you get the cent symbol on your computer, that's awesome.

I just googled "cent symbol" and copied it, haha. I'm sure there's an easier way? But I have no idea. :lol:

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Dany wrote:
bergg007 wrote:Dude how do you get the cent symbol on your computer, that's awesome.

I just googled "cent symbol" and copied it, haha. I'm sure there's an easier way? But I have no idea. :lol:

oh, I thought it was cool, but now...

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I think the email is probably a result of the free iTunes fallout, lol.

In all seriousness, it's best to be honest. I'm not sure why Alabama doesn't have a firmer schedule like other schools - I think it makes them miss out on great candidates who have earlier commitment deadlines.

Also, I think our classes are about to get canceled due to this "tornado" thing.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Also, I think our classes are about to get canceled due to this "tornado" thing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Dany wrote:Do you guys have scholarships from other schools? You might be able to mention that in the letter by saying that the $ is making your decision difficult, and that while you are still very interested in Alabama, you would need to compare financial aid offers before committing or something.

This seems like a great idea, actually. I'll probably do that tonight/tomorrow when I have time to write that all out.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Alt 0162. Have to use the 0162 on the number pad though.

suspicious android wrote:
LeDique wrote:I got it too. I haven't decided how to reply. I'm really not interested, especially because i'm assuming I won't get any $$ at this point. But I also just want to know.

I'm similarly pondering my reply. Although I would very seriously consider them if I got a full ride or close to it, I'm not really interested otherwise. If scholarship money is already used up I don't even really need to know, I'd just withdraw and be done with it. How to word this delicately?

I'm also trying to word my "if you give me a big scholarship, I will seriously consider attending" letter. TLS admissions articles seem woefully lacking on advice for how to write this delicately.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:14 pm

¢ool!

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Dany wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Also, I think our classes are about to get canceled due to this "tornado" thing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

All the city schools just closed. The ladies upstairs say it's a matter of time and they are normally right.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I ended up just being frank, telling them I know they have to weigh a lot of variables when they offer admissions decisions, especially scholarships, and telling them about my other options. Pretty sure this is going to end up as a reject now, but it's probably best for both of us if they know I won't go without close to a full ride. Oh well, so much for having choices.

scmatthews

Postby scmatthews » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm choosing between two schools right now and I'm going to put down a seat deposit at one. If Alabama accepts me before I pay tuition and/or sign a lease in that city, I'll drop what I'm doing and go to Bama.

My LSAT isn't great but it's all of the other stuff on my application that keeps my hope alive. They just need to review my application already!! At this point though, I'd just be happy with KNOWING. My dad was wait listed and ultimately got in at Alabama, and I'm just praying history repeats itself!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 pm

I actually thought about it more, and I just can't see myself in Alabama. I got so used to saying I am choosing between Colorado and UW, everything else has left the picture for me. So I'm just going to go ahead and withdraw without an answer from Alabama.
Good luck to everyone else though!

JGStudent

Postby JGStudent » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 pm

So if we didn't get an e-mail then that is bad??

Does that mean they don't care and just haven't gotten around to rejecting us?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”