University of Alabama Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12770
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby LeDique » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 pm

I submitted my application back at the beginning of November. Haven't heard anything. Kind of irritated.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:20 pm

I am visiting Tuscaloosa this Monday in lieu of the upcoming ASW. To those who have been to an ASW already (or are from the area), is there anything you would suggest I check out while I'm in town the night before the campus visit?

tarakit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby tarakit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:56 am

TommyK wrote:I am visiting Tuscaloosa this Monday in lieu of the upcoming ASW. To those who have been to an ASW already (or are from the area), is there anything you would suggest I check out while I'm in town the night before the campus visit?


There is a discussion about things to go to in ttown earlier in the thread from before the last ASW (mid-January). Dreamland's BBQ is a kind of a famous local rib place. Most of the bars are on University Blvd about two miles from the University (downtown), and there are a lot of good restaurants around there too. Mugshots (hamburgers) and DePalma's (Italian) are probably the most popular.

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby bergg007 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I just saw this on Yahoo, which I know is a crappy news source but this was written by the Associated press.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_ ... abama_race

I want to know what people with experience at Alabama, especially minority applicants think of the school and the culture. I really don't want to live somewhere with prevalent racism and I don't want to be associated with a school that is known for it's racism.

I really like bama a lot. My choice right now is between Alabama and Wake Forest. But I have to pick a place where i can raise my children and my wife has already shown me how a lot of the "good Schools" are de facto segregated.

Please someone say it aint so.

User avatar
alexb
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby alexb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:51 pm

bergg007 wrote:I just saw this on Yahoo, which I know is a crappy news source but this was written by the Associated press.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_ ... abama_race

I want to know what people with experience at Alabama, especially minority applicants think of the school and the culture. I really don't want to live somewhere with prevalent racism and I don't want to be associated with a school that is known for it's racism.

I really like bama a lot. My choice right now is between Alabama and Wake Forest. But I have to pick a place where i can raise my children and my wife has already shown me how a lot of the "good Schools" are de facto segregated.

Please someone say it aint so.


Well, from experience, I know defacto segregation exists in Indiana (where I went to undergrad), Michigan (where I grew up), and NOW in North Carolina, after they recently ended a diversity policy (I have friends in NC).

See this for info on the NC policy: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/05 ... y-20110206

I don't know about Alabama, but I suspect defacto segregation exists there and MANY other places, if not all across the USA.

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby bergg007 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

alexb wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I just saw this on Yahoo, which I know is a crappy news source but this was written by the Associated press.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_ ... abama_race

I want to know what people with experience at Alabama, especially minority applicants think of the school and the culture. I really don't want to live somewhere with prevalent racism and I don't want to be associated with a school that is known for it's racism.

I really like bama a lot. My choice right now is between Alabama and Wake Forest. But I have to pick a place where i can raise my children and my wife has already shown me how a lot of the "good Schools" are de facto segregated.

Please someone say it aint so.


Well, from experience, I know defacto segregation exists in Indiana (where I went to undergrad), Michigan (where I grew up), and NOW in North Carolina, after they recently ended a diversity policy (I have friends in NC).

See this for info on the NC policy: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/05 ... y-20110206

I don't know about Alabama, but I suspect defacto segregation exists there and MANY other places, if not all across the USA.



That's a good article thanks for posting it. I'm not a proponent of busing, but i realize it has its benefits. I spent 4 hours on a bus every day in elementary so I don't want my kids to deal with that either. I'm more worried about the racist activism in Alabama. if it is as prevalent as the article makes it seem then i don't think i can go there.

is there a noticeable racism At UA? or is this article way off base.

User avatar
furrywalls
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby furrywalls » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 pm

bergg007 wrote:That's a good article thanks for posting it. I'm not a proponent of busing, but i realize it has its benefits. I spent 4 hours on a bus every day in elementary so I don't want my kids to deal with that either. I'm more worried about the racist activism in Alabama. if it is as prevalent as the article makes it seem then i don't think i can go there.

is there a noticeable racism At UA? or is this article way off base.


I think it's important to keep in mind that the law school is its own community within the larger university community. The students are older, more mature, and more diverse (geographically and otherwise). I think any of the segregated fraternity atmosphere is lost on the law school community - at least from everything I've seen in the numerous times I've been to Tuscaloosa. It's also important to realize the importance of perspective. If you go with the mindset that it's going to be like sitting in on a Klan meeting you are probably more likely to notice and/or interpret racism when it might not be there.

User avatar
alexb
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby alexb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 pm

bergg007 wrote:
That's a good article thanks for posting it. I'm not a proponent of busing, but i realize it has its benefits. I spent 4 hours on a bus every day in elementary so I don't want my kids to deal with that either. I'm more worried about the racist activism in Alabama. if it is as prevalent as the article makes it seem then i don't think i can go there.

is there a noticeable racism At UA? or is this article way off base.



:shock: 4 hours bus rides sound pretty brutal.

I'm really not sure about the prevalence of racism at UA though. Sorry. Hopefully, someone who went there as an undergrad or is currently at their law school will be able to comment on that.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 pm

At least it seems like UA is taking the problems head on. It's very clear that there is no tolerance on campus for racism, and the student body seemed diverse from what I could tell during my visit. There's going to be a lunatic fringe at both WF and UA... Just gotta put them in their place when you see them.

I also don't know of any place in America where de facto segregation doesn't happen to some extent...

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Does anyone know if they still have shirts?
Applied recently

User avatar
alexb
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby alexb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Has there been any sort of consistency in the time it takes to go from "Complete . . ." to "In review", to decision?

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby pinkcamellia » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 am

UA undergrad checking in - I can assure you that racism is alive and well in Alabama, but only if you seek it out. You're always going to hear about racist stuff, but honestly, this is the South, where some proms are still segregated. Have you heard of Prom Night in Mississippi? Worth a watch if you don't know what the racial tension can feel like.

I'm in the humanities here, so maybe I'm a little bit more sheltered because we're pretty liberal in my department, but we definitely look down on racism. There's also more diversity on campus than you might think. The Greek vs. GDI thing on campus is talked about way more than racism, but I doubt you'll deal with that at the law school.

Long story short, I love UA and my time here has been amazing. You can't beat the CoL, the weather, SEC football and the hospitality. The Stand in the Schoolhouse Door is never going to fully fade away, and there will always be those that try to halt progress in Alabama. However, I would encourage you to be, as cheesy as it sounds, part of the solution. The only way that we can bring positive change is through our actions. The people here are set in their ways, but it can get better if more tolerant people come here and show others that diversity isn't a scary thing that nobody will talk about.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 am

Agreed. A lot of the things mentioned in this article were present in my large, public, midwestern alma mater.

And as far as greek life being fairly homogeneous - this is a problem that is far from being isolated in the South. Social groups like that tend to be self-replicating. It's why certain sororities may get a reputation that goes back decades for being the big girl sorority, or the hot blonde sorority. The nature of these kinds of organizations tends to hamper diversity, but I would argue not for explicit racist reasons.

But I think the OP's major point was - am I going to be able to raise a family here? I think so. You'll just have to be intentional with your kids as they'll get exposed to things before their midwestern or pacific northwestern counterparts. You and your partner are going to be the biggest impacts on your future kids' lives and if you want your kids to grow up judging people on the content of their characters, then they will. I wouldn't sweat it so much.

User avatar
yepyep
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby yepyep » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:45 am

TommyK wrote:Agreed. A lot of the things mentioned in this article were present in my large, public, midwestern alma mater.

And as far as greek life being fairly homogeneous - this is a problem that is far from being isolated in the South. Social groups like that tend to be self-replicating. It's why certain sororities may get a reputation that goes back decades for being the big girl sorority, or the hot blonde sorority. The nature of these kinds of organizations tends to hamper diversity, but I would argue not for explicit racist reasons.

But I think the OP's major point was - am I going to be able to raise a family here? I think so. You'll just have to be intentional with your kids as they'll get exposed to things before their midwestern or pacific northwestern counterparts. You and your partner are going to be the biggest impacts on your future kids' lives and if you want your kids to grow up judging people on the content of their characters, then they will. I wouldn't sweat it so much.


EAT and Tri-Delts, ha. Don't forget Kappa Kappa.

tarakit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby tarakit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Does racism exist at UA? Sure, but I honestly do not think it is more prevalent here than most places in the country. It's just that when something flares up at UA it gets more notice because of the history associated with the school. I have not noticed any prevalent racism at the University, though I am also not Greek, and most incidents like this seem to be associated with the Greek system.

Tuscaloosa is definitely a place you can raise your family, regardless of whatever race they are. You also have to keep in mind that your kids will most likely be attending school with the children of professors at the University... This is a pretty progressive group of people... Also if you end up in Birmingham, you will probably end up in some fairly progressive groups of people....

I do not think you should be concerned about raising a family here, but I am also not a minority. You should definitely ask around about this, but I think you will find that Tuscaloosa in general is a very nice, accepting community. You can't beat how nice people are or the cost of living.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby rli66 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Anyone started looking at apartments yet?

cjs20
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby cjs20 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 pm

rli66 wrote:Anyone started looking at apartments yet?


my wife has a friend that was a UA undergrad. We just applied to move into the apartments in which she lived: Rivermont. My wife went to Tuscaloosa for a job interview and stayed with her friend and really liked the place.

http://www.rivermontapts.info/

Seeing as how all I'm looking for is a bed and a roof, I am not the best judge; however, if my wife approves, then it must be decent.

...Tuscaloosa here we come!

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Jeffro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 am

cjs20 wrote:
rli66 wrote:Anyone started looking at apartments yet?


my wife has a friend that was a UA undergrad. We just applied to move into the apartments in which she lived: Rivermont. My wife went to Tuscaloosa for a job interview and stayed with her friend and really liked the place.

http://www.rivermontapts.info/

Seeing as how all I'm looking for is a bed and a roof, I am not the best judge; however, if my wife approves, then it must be decent.

...Tuscaloosa here we come!
These apartments were recommended to me by current law students when I visited several weeks ago. They said that most of the apartments on the "other side" of the river were less undergrad-y than those closer to campus, which may not be true but I couldn't say either way. Rivermont is what I mean by the the "other side," by the way.

I went and checked them out with my fiancee and we both liked them. It's worth mentioning that the pictures on the website and the property name are a little deceiving, because the view of the river from the apartments is currently marred by some sort of construction along the opposite bank. I guess it would look pretty nice once it's done. Also, to get to the other side of the river you have to cross at one of only a few points, so they might be a short straight line distance from campus, but you're adding a little bit of a drive. I would prefer that to being right in the middle of the undergrad areas, though, and the area looked really nice overall. If I decide to go to Alabama these are definitely the apartments for me too.

tarakit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby tarakit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:29 am

"The Reserve" was recommended at ASD. They do not allow undergrads to rent out apartments there, so it is grad students and families. They said that about half of the people that live there are law students. It is "across the river" as well.

Also, I know you wouldn't think that Tuscaloosa has traffic, but there are very few major roads, and all of the undergrads live in the same places... By living "across the river," you will be coming to campus from the opposite direction as most students and thus bypass most if not all traffic, which is definitely a plus.

creader
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby creader » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

The reserve looks really nice, just a bit on the pricey side. I guess it would be worth it for the quiet of not having undergrads running around.

gogamecocks
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:50 pm

alexb wrote:Has there been any sort of consistency in the time it takes to go from "Complete . . ." to "In review", to decision?


Bump. Same question

User avatar
Punisha20
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby Punisha20 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Just received a phone call a few hours ago telling me I am in here... Roll Tide

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:44 pm

I just received a second application follow-up email with different iTunes codes... is this an integrity test?

southernsnapp
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby southernsnapp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:32 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
alexb wrote:Has there been any sort of consistency in the time it takes to go from "Complete . . ." to "In review", to decision?


Bump. Same question


I went from complete to getting a call.

User avatar
leidice
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby leidice » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:33 pm

rman1201 wrote:I just received a second application follow-up email with different iTunes codes... is this an integrity test?


Pssh you're lucky! I never received an iTunes code. Bama also didn't notify me when they received my app, until I called 2 weeks later making sure they had it. And I've still been "complete" for over a month... sigh. I'd love to hear something (good) from them!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”