University of Alabama Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lokist86

Re: University of Alabama Class of 2014

Postby lokist86 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 pm

I called into the office today and asked if "pending" equates to "waitlisted" and the rep said no. She mentioned that it just means that a final decision has not been given for your application and that it was still under review. I also asked whether or not this would be a good time to send in a LOCI and she replied that it's completely up to the applicant. The LOCI will be added to your file, but like everything else, it doesn't necessarily help your chances of acceptance. To all my other "pending" friends out there, I guess we'll just have to keep on playing that waiting game. =(

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 pm

lokist86 wrote:I called into the office today and asked if "pending" equates to "waitlisted" and the rep said no. She mentioned that it just means that a final decision has not been given for your application and that it was still under review. I also asked whether or not this would be a good time to send in a LOCI and she replied that it's completely up to the applicant. The LOCI will be added to your file, but like everything else, it doesn't necessarily help your chances of acceptance. To all my other "pending" friends out there, I guess we'll just have to keep on playing that waiting game. =(

Thanks for callin and posting. It is a bit of a relief that we are not waitlisted!

alexb

Postby alexb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Anyone else get their status checker emailed to them at 2am EST? I'm not mad or anything, glad I finally got it :). I wonder if it is automated or if someone was up burning the midnight oil.

leidice

Postby leidice » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:37 pm

alexb wrote:Anyone else get their status checker emailed to them at 2am EST? I'm not mad or anything, glad I finally got it :). I wonder if it is automated or if someone was up burning the midnight oil.

I received mine around 2am also (though about two weeks ago). I wondered the same thing! Yet my status still just says I'm complete and ready for review..

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 am

Pending is bad.

90% of people who just went pending won't get in. The other 10% will get in over the summer.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Claude and Page email me at times that I think are late on the west coast and at weekends... They seem to be quite the dedicated admissions office.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:47 pm

apl6783 wrote:Pending is bad.

90% of people who just went pending won't get in. The other 10% will get in over the summer.

Where did you get this info? The admissions office said that "pending" is akin to "under review"

cjs20

Postby cjs20 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:13 pm

I was "pending" for a few weeks before I received my acceptance call, for what that's worth.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

nsideirish wrote:
apl6783 wrote:Pending is bad.

Where did you get this info? The admissions office said that "pending" is akin to "under review"

this

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:38 am

nsideirish wrote:
lokist86 wrote:I called into the office today and asked if "pending" equates to "waitlisted" and the rep said no. She mentioned that it just means that a final decision has not been given for your application and that it was still under review. I also asked whether or not this would be a good time to send in a LOCI and she replied that it's completely up to the applicant. The LOCI will be added to your file, but like everything else, it doesn't necessarily help your chances of acceptance. To all my other "pending" friends out there, I guess we'll just have to keep on playing that waiting game. =(

Thanks for callin and posting. It is a bit of a relief that we are not waitlisted!

Hey guys I withdrew I hope one of you still waiting gets my spot and scholarship.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:55 am

For most of us, pending doesn't mean under review. It means held (I know this because I called the office and asked and the word "held" came out of the girl's mouth). Look at the admits thus far on LSN. Other than a few URMs (and a few other individuals I highly suspect are URMs and didn't check the box on LSN) nobody has been admitted with a score below 165. In fact I think there's only one guy on there that is in with a 165, most of the others are 167-170+. I'm aware that LSN only has a couple dozen admits, and that they are a self-reporting group, but this really leads me to believe that UA is stacking high LSATs right now and may decide to admit some of us pathetic sub-165 applicants after the first seat deposits are due. I'm sure that some non-reporting, non-URMs have gotten in with scores around 164-166 but it doesn't look like there have been many.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 am

wester0 wrote:For most of us, pending doesn't mean under review. It means held (I know this because I called the office and asked and the word "held" came out of the girl's mouth). Look at the admits thus far on LSN. Other than a few URMs (and a few other individuals I highly suspect are URMs and didn't check the box on LSN) nobody has been admitted with a score below 165. In fact I think there's only one guy on there that is in with a 165, most of the others are 167-170+. I'm aware that LSN only has a couple dozen admits, and that they are a self-reporting group, but this really leads me to believe that UA is stacking high LSATs right now and may decide to admit some of us pathetic sub-165 applicants after the first seat deposits are due. I'm sure that some non-reporting, non-URMs have gotten in with scores around 164-166 but it doesn't look like there have been many.

I'm a non-URM 166 admit, if it helps.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
wester0 wrote:For most of us, pending doesn't mean under review. It means held (I know this because I called the office and asked and the word "held" came out of the girl's mouth). Look at the admits thus far on LSN. Other than a few URMs (and a few other individuals I highly suspect are URMs and didn't check the box on LSN) nobody has been admitted with a score below 165. In fact I think there's only one guy on there that is in with a 165, most of the others are 167-170+. I'm aware that LSN only has a couple dozen admits, and that they are a self-reporting group, but this really leads me to believe that UA is stacking high LSATs right now and may decide to admit some of us pathetic sub-165 applicants after the first seat deposits are due. I'm sure that some non-reporting, non-URMs have gotten in with scores around 164-166 but it doesn't look like there have been many.

I'm a non-URM 166 admit, if it helps.

not really, if you were sub 165 it would though :wink:

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm a 169/3.74 "pending" guy. I have no idea what's going on.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:I'm a 169/3.74 "pending" guy. I have no idea what's going on.

Would you attend anyways with admittance from Michigan and TX?

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:43 pm

TommyK wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:I'm a 169/3.74 "pending" guy. I have no idea what's going on.

Haha. No.

jim

Postby jim » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Haha. No.

Aaaand that's why you're pending.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Haha. No.

Then I can't imagine a reason why they've held off on admitting you :wink:

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Haha. No.

Why don't you just withdraw?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Haha. No.

Why don't you just withdraw?

I also never really understood that. I got a full ride to Alabama but I know I'm not going there over the other regional southern schools I got into so I'm not just going to hold that scholarship or admittance. You have near auto-admit numbers if you withdraw maybe someone who doesn't have your numbers will get admitted earlier esp if you know you're not going to a place. IF you're still considering a school I could see waiting on the pending or holding the acceptances but when you have no desire to go to a school it seems prudent to withdraw.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Would you attend anyways with admittance from Michigan and TX?[/quote]

Haha. No.[/quote]

Why don't you just withdraw?[/quote]

I also never really understood that. I got a full ride to Alabama but I know I'm not going there over the other regional southern schools I got into so I'm not just going to hold that scholarship or admittance. You have near auto-admit numbers if you withdraw maybe someone who doesn't have your numbers will get admitted earlier esp if you know you're not going to a place. IF you're still considering a school I could see waiting on the pending or holding the acceptances but when you have no desire to go to a school it seems prudent to withdraw.[/quote]

No doubt. Sounds like he/she is just looking for another pat on the back. Maybe he wants a free shirt or something. Probably best for everyone if you withdraw, obviously up to you but may be the right thing to do. You're not going to able to negotiate scholarship money with Michigan from an offer from Alabama.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm

I understand holding on to applications to schools you don't want to go to. I have a live app at Baylor and I have no interest in attending just want to know what they'll do with it. You can't blame the guy he hasn't heard back yet. I would favor an immediate withdraw after he's heard but if you paid for the LSAC report, you should wait till you hear back.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:50 pm

bergg007 wrote:I understand holding on to applications to schools you don't want to go to. I have a live app at Baylor and I have no interest in attending just want to know what they'll do with it. You can't blame the guy he hasn't heard back yet. I would favor an immediate withdraw after he's heard but if you paid for the LSAC report, you should wait till you hear back.

Why? Not saying you can't but if you have no plan what-so-ever to go to the school why keep your app open. I mean if it was like if school x gives me a full ride it would be something to think about ok. but if not matter what school x does you know you're not going there why waste everybody's time and hold a slot someone else could use. Not saying you to, you clearly spent the money so it's your call, but I just disagree with your premise that he Should wait till he hears back to withdraw.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Got an email back from Claude today, after I requested that my scholarship stipulation be changed (it was top 40%), they agreed to lower it to top 50%. Not a huge change, but it's nice to know they're willing to negotiate.

Bama's creeped down my list a bit since my Minnesota offer, but I'm not discounting it as an option until I visit Minnesota to see if I like it enough to throw down an extra couple thousand in COL and brave the cold for three years.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm

kjadkins wrote:Got an email back from Claude today, after I requested that my scholarship stipulation be changed (it was top 40%), they agreed to lower it to top 50%. Not a huge change, but it's nice to know they're willing to negotiate.

Bama's creeped down my list a bit since my Minnesota offer, but I'm not discounting it as an option until I visit Minnesota to see if I like it enough to throw down an extra couple thousand in COL and brave the cold for three years.

What kind of competing offers did you share with them? Did they match another offer that you have or were they just lowering the stipulation because you asked them to?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”