Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bilbobaggins

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:03 pm

atlrower wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:A lot of law students live in North Berkeley and a fair amount live in North and West Oakland.

What area do you mean when you say West Oakland? I always thought of it as the area South of 580 and west of 980, bounded by the bay on the other two sides. But that's not a great area, so maybe you're talking about something else.

I'm living about a block north of campus right now (working FT pre-LS) and absolutely love it. Completely different feel than the Telegraph area, but everywhere you'd want to be is within about a 10 minute walk. Only issue is the cost but, if you are flexible on size/charm/view, you can get 1 BRs down close to $1100.

I'm talking West of MLK and south of Sacramento. I agree, not the best neighborhood, but I know law students who live there and are fine. I prefer Temescal.

As for co-op's- I'm not sure you could pay most law students to live in one.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 pm

manthony wrote:I called admissions just to ask when they usually make decisions. And they said that for most of them it is after the New Year. This wait is going to kill me!!!! I've been in review since October 27. Also, just a request, can we move the conversation about living arrangements to the admitted students thread? I don't really want to read about how awesome California is unless I get in.... it makes me sad. :(

+1 I realize a lot of the questions are coming from people who are not admitted yet, but this could probably also be discussed in the Choosing a Law School forum. Or a new thread in this subforum. But, whatever, though. I'm just checking in to see when people get called. Don't really mind the scrolling.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:12 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
manthony wrote:I called admissions just to ask when they usually make decisions. And they said that for most of them it is after the New Year. This wait is going to kill me!!!! I've been in review since October 27. Also, just a request, can we move the conversation about living arrangements to the admitted students thread? I don't really want to read about how awesome California is unless I get in.... it makes me sad. :(

+1 I realize a lot of the questions are coming from people who are not admitted yet, but this could probably also be discussed in the Choosing a Law School forum. Or a new thread in this subforum. But, whatever, though. I'm just checking in to see when people get called. Don't really mind the scrolling.

+2. someone, who is actually in, should create an In at Berkeley thread

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:

+2. someone, who is actually in, should create an In at Berkeley thread

There is a Berkeley class of 2014 thread but it's in the classes section. No action there. I will stop talking about those things and get back to well wishing!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 pm

I think it's perfectly legit to start an "in at berkeley" thread in this forum, there are a few already in here for other schools. That's just probably a more appropriate place to discuss housing etc than in the applicant thread :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 pm

hipstermafia wrote:I think it's perfectly legit to start an "in at berkeley" thread in this forum, there are a few already in here for other schools. That's just probably a more appropriate place to discuss housing etc than in the applicant thread :)

Ok I will do the honors. Sorry for the housing stuff, I didn't expect to be such an active topic.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:I think it's perfectly legit to start an "in at berkeley" thread in this forum, there are a few already in here for other schools. That's just probably a more appropriate place to discuss housing etc than in the applicant thread :)

Ok I will do the honors. Sorry for the housing stuff, I didn't expect to be such an active topic.

Starting a new topic is fine, but are people really that sensitive that they can't handle this kind of discussion (FWIW, I'm still waiting on a decision).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Starting a new topic is fine, but are people really that sensitive that they can't handle this kind of discussion (FWIW, I'm still waiting on a decision).

It's a stressful time, I understand because last week this time I was stressed (well between stuffing my face). So I created a new thread. I hope to see you there tomorrow! And many others of course.

sojuteacher

Postby sojuteacher » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58 pm

submitted 11/1 and have been in review since then on status checker (although I didn't get the email letting me know I was under review until 11/13).

Looks like i'm giving up on a call from Dean Tom. Anyone else in the same boat? What does it mean? I am lost.

I'm median GPA but 75% LSAT with good softs (at least I think so), so I had higher expectations. :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:00 am

sojuteacher wrote:submitted 11/1 and have been in review since then on status checker (although I didn't get the email letting me know I was under review until 11/13).

Looks like i'm giving up on a call from Dean Tom. Anyone else in the same boat? What does it mean? I am lost.

I'm median GPA but 75% LSAT with good softs (at least I think so), so I had higher expectations. :(

Only a handful had been admitted. Be patient. I think they finished the first review batch and you probably didn't make it. I submitted late Sept and was UR 10/18 and was one of the last admitted so far.

cyxdev17

Postby cyxdev17 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:00 am

sojuteacher wrote:submitted 11/1 and have been in review since then on status checker (although I didn't get the email letting me know I was under review until 11/13).

Haven't been following this thread, but are people who submitted around 11/1 been getting in? Also, is it mostly in-states or OOS people too?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 am

cyxdev17 wrote:

Haven't been following this thread, but are people who submitted around 11/1 been getting in? Also, is it mostly in-states or OOS people too?

don't know about 11/1, but a few of us are OOS.

sojuteacher

Postby sojuteacher » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 am

ok cool thanks for the info. I'm OOS too btw, forgot to mention it.

manthony

Postby manthony » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:13 am

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha. I was only joking about being sad. I just follow this thread on information about people waiting so I can gauge where they are at in the decision process. The information being discussed didn't apply to me.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15 am

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If there are they probably shouldn't be on tls :) but since it was requested earlier, thanks r6! you rock!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 am

hipstermafia wrote:If there are they probably shouldn't be on tls :) but since it was requested earlier, thanks r6! you rock!

We haven't been accepted by one same school yet? Come on, let's go!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:36 am

r6_philly wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:If there are they probably shouldn't be on tls :) but since it was requested earlier, thanks r6! you rock!

We haven't been accepted by one same school yet? Come on, let's go!

DO YOU HEAR THIS BERKELEY

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:48 am

r6_philly wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:

I submitted 11/3 and got a call this week, but I'm in-state - not sure if that mattered.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:50 am

Kiwi917 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:

I submitted 11/3 and got a call this week, but I'm in-state - not sure if that mattered.

Everyone I've heard about who has gotten in has had some sort of ties to CA (including myself, although I am currently OOS). I dunno if this is actually how they are deciding on things, however.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:37 am

mrmangs wrote:
Everyone I've heard about who has gotten in has had some sort of ties to CA (including myself, although I am currently OOS). I dunno if this is actually how they are deciding on things, however.

Really? Well, I've never been to California... which is weird.. which means I have a tie to CA too.. and I haven't heard back.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:59 am

artichoke wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

Really? Well, I've never been to California... which is weird.. which means I have a tie to CA too.. and I haven't heard back.

I'll be more precise. :wink: Everyone I've read about who has gotten in thus far has lived in Cali at some point in his/her life. TLS admit posters are hardly exhaustive of everyone who has gotten in, however. Nor is my knowledge of every admit post on TLS.

hellome

Postby hellome » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:07 am

i was reading last year's berkeley thread
and it seems that they started calling on around the 1st and then began to notify decisions via status checker/e-mail around the 10th

so maybe a lot of us will hear by the end of next week?
PLZ??

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:07 am

hellome wrote:i was reading last year's berkeley thread
and it seems that they started calling on around the 1st and then began to notify decisions via status checker/e-mail around the 10th

so maybe a lot of us will hear by the end of next week?
PLZ??

Here's to hoping, my friend.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:07 am

mrmangs wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

I'll be more precise. :wink: Everyone I've read about who has gotten in thus far has lived in Cali at some point in his/her life. TLS admit posters are hardly exhaustive of everyone who has gotten in, however. Nor is my knowledge of every admit post on TLS.

So basically, you have no credibility whatsoever.... 8) (kidding)

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:06 am

I also have no ties to Cali, but would gladly make ties for Berkeley :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”