Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby sarahh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:27 pm

mrmangs wrote:
forward21 wrote:How feasible is it to live in San Fran?

I remember taking the BART and getting to Berkeley in like, 45 mins? Maybe even a little less. It depends on where you live in SF though.

You would definitely want to live close to a BART station. The Mission may be a good option.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm

sarahh wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

I remember taking the BART and getting to Berkeley in like, 45 mins? Maybe even a little less. It depends on where you live in SF though.

You would definitely want to live close to a BART station. The Mission may be a good option.

This, even though there are some trans-bay buses, they are not frequent and pretty time-consuming. But why do you think you will want to live in SF? better night life?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:35 pm

QuailMan wrote:Another former Cal undergrad here, guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I'd pretty much echo what everyone else said, the box south of campus is undergrad-ville with overpriced apartments where dishwashers, working washing machines, parking, garbage disposals are rare. I lived in a place in 2008 that had a pipe burst and it basically started raining in my apartment :shock: They had to replace my carpet and the whole apartment smelled like balls for weeks. I tolerated it b/c, hey, I'm in college, I could deal. But I wouldn't want to put up with that if I had a family. I dont think southside is so dangerous, its more so that there’s a bunch of dumb kids. Guess what, if you walk around at night, by yourself, tipsy, while texting on your Iphone...your going to get jacked!

North of campus up the hill a little ways, past the co-ops, is really nice. It is a fairly expensive neighborhood but there are some good deals if you're willing to look. The only real problem is I'm not sure what school district they are in, I assume Berkeley High. Not sure how old your kids are, but I'm not sure you'd want to send them there. The school has great resources but has had a lot of problems recently, especially concerning the access to those resources by affluent (read: white) and non-affluent (read: black) students.

I hope you enjoy your visit! Personally, I think I'd lean toward moving away from Berkeley even though I had a great time, but I'd still love to get a call :mrgreen: !

Do you mind sharing why you're leaning moving away from Berkeley?

forward

Postby forward » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:44 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
sarahh wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

This, even though there are some trans-bay buses, they are not frequent and pretty time-consuming. But why do you think you will want to live in SF? better night life?

I would be coming from the Midwest, and haven't ever lived in a place bigger than a medium-sized city. SF is more appealing than the burbs. Living closer to the Castro also has its pluses for me.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:49 pm

sarahh wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

It took me 20-25 minutes on the BART, 20 minutes walking (downtown Berkeley -> Financial District..ish). So your proximity to a BART station makes a big difference, I think.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:57 pm

forward21 wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:This, even though there are some trans-bay buses, they are not frequent and pretty time-consuming. But why do you think you will want to live in SF? better night life?

I would be coming from the Midwest, and haven't ever lived in a place bigger than a medium-sized city. SF is more appealing than the burbs. Living closer to the Castro also has its pluses for me.

I see. If that's the case, may I suggest you live in the berkeley area your first year then move to SF? My reasons are living in SF can be make or break for some people, and since you start school in a new area, you may want to stay close to campus your first year to get acquainted. And since Berkeley will ease you in the liberalism of SF, you will likely find SF more enjoyable and amazing after spending time in Berkeley =)

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
forward21 wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:This, even though there are some trans-bay buses, they are not frequent and pretty time-consuming. But why do you think you will want to live in SF? better night life?

I see. If that's the case, may I suggest you live in the berkeley area your first year then move to SF? My reasons are living in SF can be make or break for some people, and since you start school in a new area, you may want to stay close to campus your first year to get acquainted. And since Berkeley will ease you in the liberalism of SF, you will likely find SF more enjoyable and amazing after spending time in Berkeley =)

West Oakland could be a good option. It is closer to Berkeley but also really close to San Francisco. It is not exactly the safest neighborhood though.

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Knock wrote:
QuailMan wrote:Another former Cal undergrad here, guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I'd pretty much echo what everyone else said, the box south of campus is undergrad-ville with overpriced apartments where dishwashers, working washing machines, parking, garbage disposals are rare. I lived in a place in 2008 that had a pipe burst and it basically started raining in my apartment :shock: They had to replace my carpet and the whole apartment smelled like balls for weeks. I tolerated it b/c, hey, I'm in college, I could deal. But I wouldn't want to put up with that if I had a family. I dont think southside is so dangerous, its more so that there’s a bunch of dumb kids. Guess what, if you walk around at night, by yourself, tipsy, while texting on your Iphone...your going to get jacked!

North of campus up the hill a little ways, past the co-ops, is really nice. It is a fairly expensive neighborhood but there are some good deals if you're willing to look. The only real problem is I'm not sure what school district they are in, I assume Berkeley High. Not sure how old your kids are, but I'm not sure you'd want to send them there. The school has great resources but has had a lot of problems recently, especially concerning the access to those resources by affluent (read: white) and non-affluent (read: black) students.

I hope you enjoy your visit! Personally, I think I'd lean toward moving away from Berkeley even though I had a great time, but I'd still love to get a call :mrgreen: !

Most of all, I really want to take advantage of the opportunity to get a new experience in a new place. I grew up in California, lived in NorCal, SoCal, the valley and went to school in the Bay. I love it, but the way I see it, I have a chance to go live wherever I want, so why not take that chance if its just 3 years? I figure that I'll be able to go to a good enough school so that (even if it takes a few years after law school) if I really wanted to come back, I could.

On a Cal specific note, I think it would be nice to get out of the "Berkeley Bubble". The campus is so well set up, with so much to do near-by, that you never really have to leave. Heck, even my part-time job was right up the hill. You do hear a lot on these boards about how Berk isn't a crazy hippe place, and that’s true, but its also true that it is a very progressive place where everyone assumes that everyone else is left of center too. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty progressive dude, but I think being in that environment can make people lose perspective, its easy to not question your own worldview when everyone around you seems to agree with you. Which brings me back to my point about broadening my horizons (literally?).

Basically, Cal is a great place and anyone who goes there should take in everything about it, but do make a conscience effort to get out of the bubble every once in a while.

forward

Postby forward » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
forward21 wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I live in one of (if not the) most liberal cities in the Midwest as is - the size difference is the more notable part.

Are there areas of Berkeley that have decent apartments that aren't undergrad ghettos but aren't prohibitively expensive, either?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm

QuailMan wrote:
Knock wrote:

Most of all, I really want to take advantage of the opportunity to get a new experience in a new place. I grew up in California, lived in NorCal, SoCal, the valley and went to school in the Bay. I love it, but the way I see it, I have a chance to go live wherever I want, so why not take that chance if its just 3 years? I figure that I'll be able to go to a good enough school so that (even if it takes a few years after law school) if I really wanted to come back, I could.

On a Cal specific note, I think it would be nice to get out of the "Berkeley Bubble". The campus is so well set up, with so much to do near-by, that you never really have to leave. Heck, even my part-time job was right up the hill. You do hear a lot on these boards about how Berk isn't a crazy hippe place, and that’s true, but its also true that it is a very progressive place where everyone assumes that everyone else is left of center too. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty progressive dude, but I think being in that environment can make people lose perspective, its easy to not question your own worldview when everyone around you seems to agree with you. Which brings me back to my point about broadening my horizons (literally?).

Basically, Cal is a great place and anyone who goes there should take in everything about it, but do make a conscience effort to get out of the bubble every once in a while.

Awesome post. Thank you.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Just submitted my app last night. Quickest turnaround ever!

I already got the status checker, went complete, and am currently under review! What gives? Do they usually go this fast?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 pm

This housing discussion is great, and a good distraction from the fact that I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet :)

But seriously, I am sad. No phone calls for the past... 3 days? I think? This has been the week that wasn't, in terms of admissions (in general for the T-14, it seems, not just Berk).

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Just submitted my app last night. Quickest turnaround ever!

I already got the status checker, went complete, and am currently under review! What gives? Do they usually go this fast?

They did for me...I'm just going to keep on believing I'm special.

But really--I submitted on 11/15, and been "under review" since 11/15. No idea why it was so fast, but I like it.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:This housing discussion is great, and a good distraction from the fact that I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet :)

But seriously, I am sad. No phone calls for the past... 3 days? I think? This has been the week that wasn't, in terms of admissions (in general for the T-14, it seems, not just Berk).

haha, i feel you. I guess I'll hear when you'll hear (b/c we are number twins, WE and NYC). when did you submit?

I submitted Oct. 5th.
Last edited by pulandasu on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:This housing discussion is great, and a good distraction from the fact that I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet :)

BUUT if this is a dead week basically, then the next 3 weeks will be filled to the brim with admissions notices right 8)

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:22 pm

pulandasu wrote:

haha, i feel you. I guess I'll hear when you'll hear (b/c we are number twins, WE and NYC). when did you submit?

I submitted Oct. 5th.

Yikes, I submitted 11/2. Sooo I reckon you'll be hearing well before me, actually :) Oh well. When you get in I will take it as an excellent sign!

lakerfanimal wrote:
BUUT if this is a dead week basically, then the next 3 weeks will be filled to the brim with admissions notices right 8)

Oh yes, obviously. :P

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:23 pm

And I think this is sort of something to look forward to. But starting 12/9 last year, they started emailing acceptances (meaning acceptances were starting to come out en masse).. That's next week :)

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:27 pm

I wouldn't recommend SF for your first year if you're planning on being fairly social. I have a couple friends who moved from SF mid-year because it was a pain getting back across the Bay when they wanted to go out/socialize/etc. The BART is relatively quick during rush hour (I'd say 25-30 minutes is accurate from Civic Center), but off-peak hours will usually leave you looking at anywhere between 35 and 45 minutes. There's also a 5 - 10 minute walk up to Boalt.

A lot of law students live in North Berkeley and a fair amount live in North and West Oakland. Both of these locations get you away from the undergrad/Telegraph scene that so many Cal grads on these boards associate with the "Berkeley bubble." If you live in North Oakland, BARTing to SF becomes more like a 15 - 20 minute affair.

If you really want to spend a lot of time away from the law school/law school people I'd recommend SF. I'd also recommend looking into it as a 2L/3L as this becomes more common and you're more likely to know people in the city.

Just my two cents, but I lived in SF 3.5 years before law school, live in Oakland now and lived in North Berkeley as a 1L. (Also, North Oakland is much cheaper than Berkeley and SF and is not very far from school).

manthony

Postby manthony » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 pm

I called admissions just to ask when they usually make decisions. And they said that for most of them it is after the New Year. This wait is going to kill me!!!! I've been in review since October 27. Also, just a request, can we move the conversation about living arrangements to the admitted students thread? I don't really want to read about how awesome California is unless I get in.... it makes me sad. :(

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm guessing they got a flood of applications this week, with people finishing them during the Thanksgiving break. Maybe they're busy just getting all those files settled. Seems logical, anyway.

Teflon1974

Postby Teflon1974 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm

QuailMan wrote:Heck, even my part-time job was right up the hill.

Was this at the Berkeley Lab by any chance?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Uhhh.... Berkeley puts apps under review immediately? Is this because late apps are going to be auto-rejected anyhow?

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 pm

manthony wrote:I called admissions just to ask when they usually make decisions. And they said that for most of them it is after the New Year. This wait is going to kill me!!!! I've been in review since October 27. Also, just a request, can we move the conversation about living arrangements to the admitted students thread? I don't really want to read about how awesome California is unless I get in.... it makes me sad. :(

Crap.

atlrower

Postby atlrower » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:A lot of law students live in North Berkeley and a fair amount live in North and West Oakland.

What area do you mean when you say West Oakland? I always thought of it as the area South of 580 and west of 980, bounded by the bay on the other two sides. But that's not a great area, so maybe you're talking about something else.

I'm living about a block north of campus right now (working FT pre-LS) and absolutely love it. Completely different feel than the Telegraph area, but everywhere you'd want to be is within about a 10 minute walk. Only issue is the cost but, if you are flexible on size/charm/view, you can get 1 BRs down close to $1100.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Live in the co-ops, dOOders.

Some are right next to the law school.

700 dollars or so a month for rent and unlimited food.

They have one for graduate students, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”