Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Knock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I am excited to go back to work tomorrow because work day = week day = admissions offices open. Even better? The time change between the East Coast and the West Coast is a great motivator to not fall asleep at my desk around 1:30 pm...

Thank you law school admissions process for improving my life.


:lol: :lol: :lol:. Good luck E=aH!


Thanks Knock!! I sure appreciate your sticking around the thread even after acceptance. btw, I'm cursing the day I chose such a long and annoying-sounding username. Call me Habit :wink: (or something)


Haha, of course. I definitely got to stick around and see how all the acceptances play out, and hopefully bring some good luck to everyone! :D Plus, there's a good chance i'll end up at B. And okay...Habit it is :P. You could try pm'ing an admin and seeing if you could get it shortened too if it's really bugging you.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Berkeley gives two extra page sfor a personal statement. If you want them to know you want in, use the page limit.


Yah wish I had realized that before I submitted my 1.5 page statement.


I prolly wouldn't have written a 2 page one anyway.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:15 am

Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I am excited to go back to work tomorrow because work day = week day = admissions offices open. Even better? The time change between the East Coast and the West Coast is a great motivator to not fall asleep at my desk around 1:30 pm...

Thank you law school admissions process for improving my life.


:lol: :lol: :lol:. Good luck E=aH!


Thanks Knock!! I sure appreciate your sticking around the thread even after acceptance. btw, I'm cursing the day I chose such a long and annoying-sounding username. Call me Habit :wink: (or something)


Haha, of course. I definitely got to stick around and see how all the acceptances play out, and hopefully bring some good luck to everyone! :D Plus, there's a good chance i'll end up at B. And okay...Habit it is :P. You could try pm'ing an admin and seeing if you could get it shortened too if it's really bugging you.


Ooo, that's a good idea. Thanks!

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 am

Knock wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Berkeley gives two extra page sfor a personal statement. If you want them to know you want in, use the page limit.


Yah wish I had realized that before I submitted my 1.5 page statement.


I was accepted with a just under 2 page personal statement.


This would make me feel better if I didn't know you were awesome :P

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby obrienfa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I am excited to go back to work tomorrow because work day = week day = admissions offices open. Even better? The time change between the East Coast and the West Coast is a great motivator to not fall asleep at my desk around 1:30 pm...

Thank you law school admissions process for improving my life.


good luck!!!

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby artichoke » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Hate work. Love that Monday brings new hope. Here's to hoping everyone has wonderful week of acceptances.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 pm

artichoke wrote:Hate work. Love that Monday brings new hope. Here's to hoping everyone has wonderful week of acceptances.

Sooooo +1!

kak5n
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby kak5n » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know if Berkeley offers scholarships in the packet they send you? Would they mention it on the phone? I'm not really expecting any money as an OOS admit, but it would be good to know!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Knock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm

kak5n wrote:Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know if Berkeley offers scholarships in the packet they send you? Would they mention it on the phone? I'm not really expecting any money as an OOS admit, but it would be good to know!


From what i've heard (all anecdotally, so take this with a grain of salt), B is pretty stingy with merit based scholarship money, but they are pretty good with need based money though, with a large percentage of the class getting need-based scholarships.

Personally, I didn't hear about any scholarships on my acceptance phone call. The lady also told me they aren't really sending out acceptance packets (because of cutting costs + going green, i'm guessing), and most of it is going to be online.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Knock wrote:
kak5n wrote:Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know if Berkeley offers scholarships in the packet they send you? Would they mention it on the phone? I'm not really expecting any money as an OOS admit, but it would be good to know!


From what i've heard (all anecdotally, so take this with a grain of salt), B is pretty stingy with merit based scholarship money, but they are pretty good with need based money though, with a large percentage of the class getting need-based scholarships.

Personally, I didn't hear about any scholarships on my acceptance phone call. The lady also told me they aren't really sending out acceptance packets (because of cutting costs + going green, i'm guessing), and most of it is going to be online.


Oooh I like that! Hooray for saving trees.

shanemahsa wrote:
artichoke wrote:Hate work. Love that Monday brings new hope. Here's to hoping everyone has wonderful week of acceptances.

Sooooo +1!

+ 1! This is the week, I can feel it.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby sarahh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:52 pm

sarahh wrote:I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.


Interesting, they'll consider any scholarship offer in the top 14 EXCEPT Northwestern...

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:55 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
sarahh wrote:I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.


Interesting, they'll consider any scholarship offer in the top 14 EXCEPT Northwestern...


I noticed that too. Does NU give a lot of money, or do you think it's b/c of the applicants that are let in with low numbers but a lot of WE? I would find it hard to believe that they simply think NU is equal in quality to others (i.e., Cornell)

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
sarahh wrote:I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.


Interesting, they'll consider any scholarship offer in the top 14 EXCEPT Northwestern...


I noticed that too. Does NU give a lot of money, or do you think it's b/c of the applicants that are let in with low numbers but a lot of WE? I would find it hard to believe that they simply think NU is equal in quality to others (i.e., Cornell)


I'm not quite sure, maybe they have the least amount of overlap in terms of applicants? I think on Dean Z's Michigan blog she talks about how they get some data about overlapping candidates, or something of the sort. That is puzzling though, but maybe it has something to do with Berkeley putting so much emphasis on GPA and NU willing to take sub 3.0 GPAs? Then again, a sub 3.0 probably wouldn't get into Berkeley in the first place to even be eligible for a matching scholarship.

TL;DR version: I have no clue.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby mrmangs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

sarahh wrote:I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.


Hm, interesting. Berkeley is definitely one of my top choices, but it's expensive. Surprised that they care about anything below themselves in the rankings.

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby forward » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:56 pm

IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby mrmangs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:57 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Congrats! :)

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby timmna » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Congratulations!!

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:00 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd congratulate you but can't bring myself to wish well on a Badgers fan yet :D

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Woah hooray!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Knock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Woah hooray!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:04 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Super Congrats.. Welcome to T-10 status.

zarabenjamin
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby zarabenjamin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Congratulations! Can I ask when the call came?

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Kaitlyn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:11 pm

zarabenjamin wrote:
forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Congratulations! Can I ask when the call came?


+1

Congratulations!!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Got the call! Super excited for the ASW!

510 area code. Lady was SUPER nice!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Baby Gaga, Google [Bot], Long shot hero, mccracal, okf731, Pomegranate27 and 14 guests