Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Silver

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by sarahh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 pm

cscx wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
cscx wrote:got the call about 45 minutes ago!!! =D

173/3.97
international undergraduate in NY
submitted 9/17
Wow congrats, you've had the best 2 days ever huh haha
haha yeah, pretty much!

Dean Tom mentioned that they'd pay to fly me out for ASW, which is amazing. That said, I spoke to my boss (who is like a mentor to me) and we pretty much agreed that I should withdraw from Berkeley in the next few weeks since I'm pretty sure that I would attend Harvard over Berkeley. Nothing against Berkeley - a Harvard law degree would qualify me to take the bar exam in my home country, a JD from Berkeley wouldn't. I guess it wouldn't be fair to others who want the place at Berkeley and would find attending Berkeley's ASW really informative?
If you are not a 100% sure, there is nothing wrong with not withdrawing now. If the school really likes someone and there is not a spot available (which is not an issue at this point), there is the waitlist.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm

HopefulFish wrote:Has there been any reports of rejections yet? I've been under review sinnce mid October and I'm wondering why it's taking Berkeley so long to reject me... :lol:
Basically, they are only giving decisions to those who were accepted by Dean Tom. I have a feeling that those who were passed to committee review and those that were rejected by Dean Tom will be notified at around the same time (at a later date). Last year's "rejects" and the committee reviews, were notified in January (those that applied early).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:23 pm

NScott wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:Has there been any reports of rejections yet? I've been under review sinnce mid October and I'm wondering why it's taking Berkeley so long to reject me... :lol:
Basically, they are only giving decisions to those who were accepted by Dean Tom. I have a feeling that those who were passed to committee review and those that were rejected by Dean Tom will be notified at around the same time (at a later date). Last year's "rejects" and the committee reviews, were notified in January (those that applied early).
So then the readers have to pass likely admits back to Dean Tom for final approval right so that's why it takes a while to notify everyone. Their twitter said everyone is only back in office together today.

jswilson27

New

Post by jswilson27 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:25 pm

In! I missed a call from a Berkeley, CA number, and after checking my status checker (no change) and deciding that I would be patient and just wait, I changed my mind and called the Boalt admissions office. The receptionist put me through to Dean Tom, who offered his congratulations!

I submitted 10/12, complete 10/19. 169/3.67. Yeah, I don't know how I got in either.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:27 pm

jswilson27 wrote:In! I missed a call from a Berkeley, CA number, and after checking my status checker (no change) and deciding that I would be patient and just wait, I changed my mind and called the Boalt admissions office. The receptionist put me through to Dean Tom, who offered his congratulations!

I submitted 10/12, complete 10/19. 169/3.67. Yeah, I don't know how I got in either.
Woohoo! What a way to find out; massive congratulations! Do you think you had any game-changing softs that pushed you into auto-admit category?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calilaw

Bronze

Post by calilaw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Congratulations to everyone! People have been sharing their numbers.. But what about softs? I know Berkeley cares more about that stuff than other schools. Have you all cured rare diseases afflicting the world's starving children?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Knock told me that I have to apply to Berkeley. As soon as I get paid I'm putting in my app.

Congrats to everyone who's heard back this week! :D

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:40 pm

calilaw wrote:Congratulations to everyone! People have been sharing their numbers.. But what about softs? I know Berkeley cares more about that stuff than other schools. Have you all cured rare diseases afflicting the world's starving children?
For my softs I have worked with a prosecutor's office going on two years now, did an internship with the state attorney general, another one with the DOJ and have leadership experience via my extracurricular activities. I also had a recommendation letter from a Berkeley alum who is now a judge, which may have helped but who knows.

paisaaa

Bronze

Post by paisaaa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Sorry if this has been addressed already but... anyone know if Boalt's admissions office is working tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm

valengina wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed already but... anyone know if Boalt's admissions office is working tomorrow?
It is before 5 on the west coast, I would give them a call to find out if they are.

paisaaa

Bronze

Post by paisaaa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm

obrienfa wrote:
valengina wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed already but... anyone know if Boalt's admissions office is working tomorrow?
It is before 5 on the west coast, I would give them a call to find out if they are.
Me: Hi, I was just wondering if you were going to be open tomorrow.
She: We will be. We will probably be closing early.

eskimogirl

New

Post by eskimogirl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:02 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:Has anyone who has been accepted had their status checker change from "under review?" Mine hasn't.
checked mine for the first time today and it's been changed to "admitted!".

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Call 12:30 PM from Dean Tom!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jswilson27

New

Post by jswilson27 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:
jswilson27 wrote:In! I missed a call from a Berkeley, CA number, and after checking my status checker (no change) and deciding that I would be patient and just wait, I changed my mind and called the Boalt admissions office. The receptionist put me through to Dean Tom, who offered his congratulations!

Woohoo! What a way to find out; massive congratulations! Do you think you had any game-changing softs that pushed you into auto-admit category?
Honestly-- no. I have 3 years of professional work experience, but no big-deal leadership in undergrad or other world-saving cred. My resume is fairly strong but not particularly unique, in my opinion. I did go to a very liberal, hippy-trippy undergrad, which makes me think that Berkeley might see me (correctly) as "their kind of person," and I think I wrote a strong and compelling personal statement, but other than that-- I'm still a little in shock too. But I'm not going to argue with Dean Tom!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:13 pm

jswilson27 wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:

Honestly-- no. I have 3 years of professional work experience, but no big-deal leadership in undergrad or other world-saving cred. My resume is fairly strong but not particularly unique, in my opinion. I did go to a very liberal, hippy-trippy undergrad, which makes me think that Berkeley might see me (correctly) as "their kind of person," and I think I wrote a strong and compelling personal statement, but other than that-- I'm still a little in shock too. But I'm not going to argue with Dean Tom!
congratulations!

Ljsmith2

New

Post by Ljsmith2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi all:

I just checked my status checker, and it says "admitted!" But I didn't receive a call or email or any notification.

Think I'm in and can believe it or is it some cruel joke?

Submitted early, in September I think.

aimee

New

Post by aimee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:17 pm

ads222 wrote:
re-applicant wrote:Is there any kind of picture emerging about the kind of numbers that are getting accepted? I got in with a 25-GPA and >75 LSAT, which makes me seem like an unlikely candidate for Boalt. I'm trying to figure out whether they're doing things differently this year or if I can infer good things about the rest of my application.
I'm exactly at both medians. I got in yesterday/today. I seem to be a little bit of an exception to the higher-numbers rule that's shaping up
You are my beacon of hope! :-)

I was rather upset at work yesterday and would truly appreciate an acceptance call this week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Ljsmith2 wrote:Hi all:

I just checked my status checker, and it says "admitted!" But I didn't receive a call or email or any notification.

It seems that if Dean Tom does not get you on the phone, he does not leave a message. So he may have tried to call. I think you can trust the status checker.

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:39 pm

jswilson27 wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:

Oh, no. Please, Dean Tom, I know I didn't go to a hippy-trippy undergrad, but I swear I can become "[your] kind of person" given the chance....

lol, seriously though, thanks for answering my question and really sincere congrats again! You've clearly earned it. :)

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 pm

I don't know if I can take ccn over berk. cali is just so damn tempting.

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm

What are your numbers? Are you in the high percentiles as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paisaaa

Bronze

Post by paisaaa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Ohmygoodness, congratulations!

RIP any plans I'd made for Thanksgiving weekend.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 pm

So for the most part, admits called so far are Sept/Oct applicants? I saw one November, but it seems to be a limited exception?

I'm part of the early November crew, and I want Dean Tom to love me... I basically wrote my PS for him.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:34 am

forward21 wrote:So for the most part, admits called so far are Sept/Oct applicants? I saw one November, but it seems to be a limited exception?

I'm part of the early November crew, and I want Dean Tom to love me... I basically wrote my PS for him.
I was a November, albeit early ( 11/02 or 11/03)

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:33 am

*Crossing fingers for a chance at a call today...*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”