Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WonkyPanda

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 pm

I don't think he was trying to be rude. I think he was just asking a legitimate question. Evidence, for whatever reason, seems to indicate that applying to Berk after january is nearly guaranteed to be a denial.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Last edited by plurilingue on Fri May 03, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 pm

plurilingue wrote:I mean, I applied in December but my application didn't go complete until the December LSAT result came out, so there was little I could do. I think it verges on dishonest for Berkeley to state that they'd consider Dec LSAT results when making decisions if what everyone is saying is correct.

Also I applied late because of work and family stuff -- changing jobs after coming back to the USA from Europe unexpectedly, finding a good paid position, etc.

Ya I remember you saying that, maybe you can just reapply, but I think you will probably have better options right.

ETA: it's like Harvard saying they will consider Feb. score.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm

plurilingue wrote:I mean, I applied in December but my application didn't go complete until the December LSAT result came out, so there was little I could do. I think it verges on dishonest for Berkeley to state that they'd consider Dec LSAT results when making decisions if what everyone is saying is correct.

Also I applied late because of work and family stuff -- changing jobs after coming back to the USA from Europe unexpectedly, finding a good paid position, etc.

It's not dishonest because people have been accepted with Dec LSAT scores. It's just that you really are fighting an uphill battle if you choose to apply late.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 pm

In addition to applying late (or w/ December LSAT), I wonder how many of us were hurt by turning in the same two-page personal statement that we turned in everywhere else.

Because I did that, and now I regret it. Obviously they can use the fact of a personal statement's being four pages as an indicator of applicant interest. If you turn in a two-pager, and especially if you're above one or both of their 75ths and you turn in a two-pager, then maybe you're not that interested in Berkeley in particular and you'e just carpeting the T10 with applications.

I'd definitely recommend that applicants apply early AND write a four-page statement. And if you really must take the December LSAT, then DEFINITELY write a Berkeley-specific four-page statement (and hopefully destroy that LSAT).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Dean Tom mentions this in the interview, specifically. I only turned in a 3 pager, but it's in 11pt, so if I made it 12 it would be pretty much 4 pages.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:Dean Tom mentions this in the interview, specifically. I only turned in a 3 pager, but it's in 11pt, so if I made it 12 it would be pretty much 4 pages.

Yeah, I wish I would have known that. Studying for the LSAT and applying to law schools while working 70+ hour weeks has a lot of downsides, it turns out. Damn.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 pm

somewhere wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Dean Tom mentions this in the interview, specifically. I only turned in a 3 pager, but it's in 11pt, so if I made it 12 it would be pretty much 4 pages.

Yeah, I wish I would have known that. Studying for the LSAT and applying to law schools while working 70+ hour weeks has a lot of downsides, it turns out. Damn.

I was in the same situation, but I found the time to peruse the forums while I was sleep (haha ok joking, but I was doing 80+ hour weeks). It was worth it, I learned a whole lot. The interview is on Boalt's profile page on this site.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 pm

I could be the exception, but I just want to point out (again) that I applied in January (after the December LSAT scores came out), only had a 2-page personal statement, and got accepted. And if you look around, there are quite a few other people like me (who applied late and/or didn't write a long PS but still got in).

Obviously, if you're more of a borderline candidate, then definitely lengthen your PS and apply early. But I think it's false information to say that January applicants NEVER get accepted and people with 2-page personal statements NEVER get accepted. So don't lose heart if either of those apply to you!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:48 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I could be the exception, but I just want to point out (again) that I applied in January (after the December LSAT scores came out), only had a 2-page personal statement, and got accepted. And if you look around, there are quite a few other people like me (who applied late and/or didn't write a long PS but still got in).

Obviously, if you're more of a borderline candidate, then definitely lengthen your PS and apply early. But I think it's false information to say that January applicants NEVER get accepted and people with 2-page personal statements NEVER get accepted. So don't lose heart if either of those apply to you!

I don't think at least I meant to say never, but most of us need the most help we can get so why not do more. I am sure you are exceedingly strong seeing where else you got into, and shouldn't be used as a gauge.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I could be the exception, but I just want to point out (again) that I applied in January (after the December LSAT scores came out), only had a 2-page personal statement, and got accepted. And if you look around, there are quite a few other people like me (who applied late and/or didn't write a long PS but still got in).

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I just think any weakness (or even blandness) looks worse in January w/ a 2-page PS than it looks in October with a 4-page PS.

For me, it's my uGPA. I had hoped that its being 7-years out, having graduate degrees (w/ much better grades) since then, LSAT above their 75th, and assorted other "softs," would mitigate the damage, which it seems to have done at other schools— Michigan, Penn, NYU... hell, even Harvard at least gave me a hold rather than an outright ding, for whatever that's worth. But I guess it just didn't cut it at Berkeley.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm

I extended my P.S. for Berkeley to 3 1/3 pages, and then also wrote a 1+ page "Why Berkeley" essay, and a ballzy one at that. But it just doesn't seem like it's going to make a difference when people with better stats and masters / tfa / military / crazy softs are getting rejected left and right.

Here's to hoping...

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 pm

I submitted 1/31 (I know, I know). Extended my PS onto the fourth page with some Why Berkeley elements. Let's hope it works.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:58 pm

somewhere wrote:

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I just think any weakness (or even blandness) looks worse in January w/ a 2-page PS than it looks in October with a 4-page PS.

For me, it's my uGPA. I had hoped that its being 7-years out, having graduate degrees (w/ much better grades) since then, LSAT above their 75th, and assorted other "softs," would mitigate the damage, which it seems to have done at other schools— Michigan, Penn, NYU... hell, even Harvard at least gave me a hold rather than an outright ding, for whatever that's worth. But I guess it just didn't cut it at Berkeley.

Berkeley just does their thing reject-style. Every year looks like a total blood bath on LSN.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:58 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:I submitted 1/31 (I know, I know). Extended my PS onto the fourth page with some Why Berkeley elements. Let's hope it works.

What's the worst that could happen Cardinals... you go to Columbia! lol.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am

Also, I'm glad that Berkeley rejects people. It's way better than wait list purgatory that at most other schools might as well be a ding. I'm glad that berkeley almost never waitlists, and when they do, its rare and many of those on the WL end up getting accepted.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am

NorCalBruin wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:I submitted 1/31 (I know, I know). Extended my PS onto the fourth page with some Why Berkeley elements. Let's hope it works.

What's the worst that could happen Cardinals... you go to Columbia! lol.

Yeah...I just wanted some T10 options not in the north. Not complaining, though, of course.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 am

I went complete on 12/12 and only had a 2 pager with 12pt font.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
plurilingue wrote:Denied. 169/3.78 -- 1/10 UR. Also a Berkeley grad. GPA was over 2 degrees with meaningful softs (I think?) and work experience. Also did a Master's. Disappointed that my first result turned out this way, and hope it doesn't set a trend...

Sorry to hear. Why didn't you guys apply earlier? I think this is one school where applying really early is paramount since administrative review pretty much get finished by Jan. Seats are pretty filled post-Christmas.

It seemed to me that administrative review ended a few days after the December LSAT scores were released. A number of January applicants got their acceptances around 1/21-1/24, which was followed by a huge wave of posters being pushed to CR. I'm guessing Dean Tom made the final rounds of administrative acceptances shortly after the December LSAT scores.

Ctgrapefruit

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 am

Just wanted to point out- my statement was also two pages 11pt font and not boalt specific.

Edit. Submitted in December, though

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 am

bhan87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
plurilingue wrote:Denied. 169/3.78 -- 1/10 UR. Also a Berkeley grad. GPA was over 2 degrees with meaningful softs (I think?) and work experience. Also did a Master's. Disappointed that my first result turned out this way, and hope it doesn't set a trend...

Sorry to hear. Why didn't you guys apply earlier? I think this is one school where applying really early is paramount since administrative review pretty much get finished by Jan. Seats are pretty filled post-Christmas.

It seemed to me that administrative review ended a few days after the December LSAT scores were released. A number of January applicants got their acceptances around 1/21-1/24, which was followed by a huge wave of posters being pushed to CR. I'm guessing Dean Tom made the final rounds of administrative acceptances shortly after the December LSAT scores.

I thought there was another round of administrative review after they are done with this CR February 18th...

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:34 am

Denied today =( Feb. 10th.
Asian, BS.EE, 3.99/165.
Oh well, guess I'm going to UT.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:46 am

+1

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 am

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there a CR 2 for individuals not considered in CR 1? I am hanging out with a mid-December UR date. Not sure what I should be expecting at this point (beyond a ding).

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:28 am

WarioLaw wrote:I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there a CR 2 for individuals not considered in CR 1? I am hanging out with a mid-December UR date. Not sure what I should be expecting at this point (beyond a ding).

There has been in the past but we don't really know. GL!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”