Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
melamine

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm

MissLucky wrote:
melamine wrote:there's a difference between
(1) convincing a school that you meet their standards, and
(2) telling a school that their standards are not the right ones - and that they should be using some other standard (presumably one that gets you in).

we're all trying to tell admissions people how to make the "right" decision in the first sense. We are the "right" decision (allegedly) because we meet their standards. hopefully we're not doing the second. the first one is not insulting to the adcom - the second is. i'm not saying thats what she is intending to say in her LOCI - i'm just saying that that is how it could easily come across.

well the reason I even thought of mentioning other schools was because last year when I was on waitlists, every school told me to let them know of where else I had been accepted. I am not mentioning other schools I have been accepted to to try and say "hey, they think im good enough and so should you" - i thought that by telling them they were my #1 choice and that I would attend if accepted, it may put me just over the edge when they consider that I have been accepted to other schools in the T14 and that I will thereby be decreasing the yield of other schools within the same general range as them (and thus indirectly bolstering their ranking) maybe im thinking into this too much and law schools arent SO machinating when it comes to their rankings...

yeah - but unless your scores are absolutely dismal, they already know that you'll likely get offers from schools in the lower 14, yes? in which case, you do just as much work by simply telling them that they really are your #1 choice. i'm just saying it comes off really badly - even if you don't intend it. i apologize if i'm coming off as mean (i'm really trying to look out for you here) - i just think its in your best interest w/r/t applications to see how it comes off.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 pm

melamine wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
melamine wrote:there's a difference between
(1) convincing a school that you meet their standards, and
(2) telling a school that their standards are not the right ones - and that they should be using some other standard (presumably one that gets you in).

we're all trying to tell admissions people how to make the "right" decision in the first sense. We are the "right" decision (allegedly) because we meet their standards. hopefully we're not doing the second. the first one is not insulting to the adcom - the second is. i'm not saying thats what she is intending to say in her LOCI - i'm just saying that that is how it could easily come across.

well the reason I even thought of mentioning other schools was because last year when I was on waitlists, every school told me to let them know of where else I had been accepted. I am not mentioning other schools I have been accepted to to try and say "hey, they think im good enough and so should you" - i thought that by telling them they were my #1 choice and that I would attend if accepted, it may put me just over the edge when they consider that I have been accepted to other schools in the T14 and that I will thereby be decreasing the yield of other schools within the same general range as them (and thus indirectly bolstering their ranking) maybe im thinking into this too much and law schools arent SO machinating when it comes to their rankings...

yeah - but unless your scores are absolutely dismal, they already know that you'll likely get offers from schools in the lower 14, yes? in which case, you do just as much work by simply telling them that they really are your #1 choice. i'm just saying it comes off really badly - even if you don't intend it. i apologize if i'm coming off as mean (i'm really trying to look out for you here) - i just think its in your best interest w/r/t applications to see how it comes off.

no, no don't feel like you're coming off mean! that's exactly what I needed to hear - I also had a PM convo with r6 and you guys are absolutely right - thank you so so much, it means a lot! i'm definitely leaving it out.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Did anyone who went UR around 1/10 go UCR?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Did anyone who went UR around 1/10 go UCR?

I applied 1/08, UR 1/10, no committee review. :/ Stats are a median and a 75th percentile for Berkeley.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm UR 1/10. LSAT = Median>x>25th and GPA is 4.0

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm holding out hope for CR2. I went UR 12/20

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:27 pm

sanguar wrote:I'm holding out hope for CR2. I went UR 12/20

Well we seem to get accepted to the same schools and I got CR1 I'd bet you get CR2

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:34 pm

sanguar wrote:I'm holding out hope for CR2. I went UR 12/20

+1. I also went UR on 12/20. I feel like we have mirror image cycles going.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Also UR 1/10, no committee. Submitted very end of Nov or very start of Dec, but took Dec. LSAT.

LSAT above their 75, GPA below their 25, non-traditional, lots of wild-cards.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:12 pm

somewhere wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Also UR 1/10, no committee. Submitted very end of Nov or very start of Dec, but took Dec. LSAT.

LSAT above their 75, GPA below their 25, non-traditional, lots of wild-cards.

+1

subversion

Postby subversion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 pm

So about a week and a half ago I received an email that I am under committee review. Given my LSAT score of 159 I am surprised Dean Tom even passed me to committee review in the first place (though my GPA does stand at a decent three point eight). So here's my question: if I passed Dean Tom's initial review despite my low LSAT score does that mean that my low score likely won't be used against me (to a significant degree) by the faculty review committee? (By the way it's worth noting that I sent in an LSAT addendum explaining that I similarly received low SAT scores, despite attaining a 3.8 as a UC Berkeley undergrad).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:25 pm

subversion wrote:So about a week and a half ago I received an email that I am under committee review. Given my LSAT score of 159 I am surprised Dean Tom even passed me to committee review in the first place (though my GPA does stand at a decent 3. 8). So here's my question: if I passed Dean Tom's initial review despite my low LSAT score does that mean that my low score likely won't be used against me (to a significant degree) by the faculty review committee? (By the way it's worth noting that I sent in an LSAT addendum explaining that I similarly received low SAT scores, despite attaining a 3.8 as a UC Berkeley undergrad).

URM?

subversion

Postby subversion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:
subversion wrote:So about a week and a half ago I received an email that I am under committee review. Given my LSAT score of 159 I am surprised Dean Tom even passed me to committee review in the first place (though my GPA does stand at a decent 3. 8). So here's my question: if I passed Dean Tom's initial review despite my low LSAT score does that mean that my low score likely won't be used against me (to a significant degree) by the faculty review committee? (By the way it's worth noting that I sent in an LSAT addendum explaining that I similarly received low SAT scores, despite attaining a 3.8 as a UC Berkeley undergrad).

URM?

Middle Eastern, so not technically.

richthatcher

Postby richthatcher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 pm

subversion wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

URM?

When did you get your app in and UR etc.?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

UR 1/10... No word yet. Stats are a median and a 75th %ile. I know I'm not an auto-admit, but if I got into UCLA within 2 wks with a ton on $, should I assume I have a good shot at Berkeley? This month-long UR status is driving me crazy... :(

subversion

Postby subversion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm

richthatcher wrote:
subversion wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

URM?

When did you get your app in and UR etc.?

I submitted November 10th, went under review pretty much the same week, and went to faculty review a little over a week ago. The fact that I was even sent to faculty review seems to indicate that Dean Tom liked my softs enough to not outright reject me due to a low LSAT. I am just wondering if that means it is no longer that relevant in my case.

apple1234

Postby apple1234 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm

I also went UR 1/10. Looks like no one who went UR around that time made it to CR1. Hoping for CR2?

Are all acceptances from this point on going to come out of CR??

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

apple1234 wrote:I also went UR 1/10. Looks like no one who went UR around that time made it to CR1. Hoping for CR2?

No. Read thread.

apple1234

Postby apple1234 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:
apple1234 wrote:I also went UR 1/10. Looks like no one who went UR around that time made it to CR1. Hoping for CR2?

No. Read thread.

Sorry? :?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 am

jrose5 wrote:UR 1/10... No word yet. Stats are a median and a 75th %ile. I know I'm not an auto-admit, but if I got into UCLA within 2 wks with a ton on $, should I assume I have a good shot at Berkeley? This month-long UR status is driving me crazy... :(

I actually got waitlisted at UCLA and accepted at Berkeley. I think sometimes things have no rhyme or reason.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:I actually got waitlisted at UCLA and accepted at Berkeley. I think sometimes things have no rhyme or reason.

Samesies!

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:I actually got waitlisted at UCLA and accepted at Berkeley. I think sometimes things have no rhyme or reason.

Samesies!

Omg, "samesies" is my favorite phrase ever. Ever.

btw, I'm so jealous of all you Boalt admits! =)

clone22

Postby clone22 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:UR 1/10... No word yet. Stats are a median and a 75th %ile. I know I'm not an auto-admit, but if I got into UCLA within 2 wks with a ton on $, should I assume I have a good shot at Berkeley? This month-long UR status is driving me crazy... :(

I actually got waitlisted at UCLA and accepted at Berkeley. I think sometimes things have no rhyme or reason.

I hear you. I got into berk pretty quickly but I still haven't even heard back from ucla yet

Justin.S

Postby Justin.S » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 pm

171/3.89

C 1/28
UR 2/3, 2/8

I'm getting nervous

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:30 pm

I had a dream last night about getting an acceptance letter from Boalt. The letter even had little red hearts drawn on it. It was so glorious and awesome, and waking up so very disappointing...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”