Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Flips88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Escuate wrote:Went under review as of 1/10....nothing has changed since then. Probably checked the status website 200+ times in the past 3 weeks. Has anyone who applied in early January had any movement yet?

Applied in November but went UR 1/10. Hannnnnnnngin out

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 pm

JKill01 wrote:Out today too via e-mail. Sad but they have a nice rejection letter...

Dinged as well. I agree, it was a well written rejection letter.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 pm

loll is it odd to be kind of hoping for a rejection just to read this well-written letter? almost everyone has commented on it...

well, I'll know soon enough on Feb 18.

2ndAmendment

Postby 2ndAmendment » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

masterthearts wrote:
JKill01 wrote:Out today too via e-mail. Sad but they have a nice rejection letter...

Dinged as well. I agree, it was a well written rejection letter.

What does the letter say? (Although I'll probably be getting my own soon enough...)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 pm

glitched wrote:loll is it odd to be kind of hoping for a rejection just to read this well-written letter? almost everyone has commented on it...

well, I'll know soon enough on Feb 18.

This law school admissions process is a strange business. How do you fast track into NYU but CR over here?

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Escuate wrote:Went under review as of 1/10....nothing has changed since then. Probably checked the status website 200+ times in the past 3 weeks. Has anyone who applied in early January had any movement yet?

Same date, same status here. But I applied in December and took December LSAT, which I took to mean I wasn't really "complete" until right around that UR date.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm

They know that they can call me even though it's almost 7pm where I am right? If they want they can call me at 3am in fact! Should I call them and let them know that it's ok for them to do so? :-D

Escuate

Postby Escuate » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:01 pm

somewhere wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Same date, same status here. But I applied in December and took December LSAT, which I took to mean I wasn't really "complete" until right around that UR date.

I took the Dec LSAT as well. They were really fast about getting my file completed but it stalled at that point.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm

so the time's run out on a phone call. i'm back to preparing myself for the rejection.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm

haha the hope/despair cycle. it's the worst.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:25 pm

I went complete on 1/27 and UR on 1/31. Was I eligible to get 'Dinged' today?

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Sicsofs wrote:I went complete on 1/27 and UR on 1/31. Was I eligible to get 'Dinged' today?

It would appear not.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

What's the consensus on hearing back for those under CR? Obviously the email said Feb. 18, but I thought I read a few weeks ago that Bilbo said we could expect the hear back a week or two before the date they said. Does anyone else remember this, or has there been more discussion about it? Maybe I made it up. I can't wait to hear one way or another!

clevermoose

Postby clevermoose » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:What's the consensus on hearing back for those under CR? Obviously the email said Feb. 18, but I thought I read a few weeks ago that Bilbo said we could expect the hear back a week or two before the date they said. Does anyone else remember this, or has there been more discussion about it? Maybe I made it up. I can't wait to hear one way or another!

Judging from the huge amount of decisions made last year on 2/18 on LSN, I think most of us will hear then. Can't wait either!

smscat

Postby smscat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Rejected - 170/3.67. Was kind of a stretch - o well.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 pm

UR 1/10, 170, 3.76... should I be worried that I didn't get committee review..?

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:40 pm

jrose5 wrote:UR 1/10, 170, 3.76... should I be worried that I didn't get committee review..?

I never went CR before my acceptance, so I wouldn't worry too much.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:42 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
jrose5 wrote:UR 1/10, 170, 3.76... should I be worried that I didn't get committee review..?

I never went CR before my acceptance, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Congratulations. I suppose it's hard to say at the moment. :( It's also hard for me not to be extremely worried. As someone aiming to go into IP law, Berkeley is a natural top choice for me...

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:55 pm

clevermoose wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:What's the consensus on hearing back for those under CR? Obviously the email said Feb. 18, but I thought I read a few weeks ago that Bilbo said we could expect the hear back a week or two before the date they said. Does anyone else remember this, or has there been more discussion about it? Maybe I made it up. I can't wait to hear one way or another!

Judging from the huge amount of decisions made last year on 2/18 on LSN, I think most of us will hear then. Can't wait either!

I see. Makes sense. Well, count down to the Friday after next, then!

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:46 am

I've gone CR and am thinking of sending them a letter updating them on this new place I work at and mentioning a couple of the schools I've gotten into thus far - is doing the latter in bad taste? would it be helpful or hurtful to mention other schools I got into (schools that are lower ranked but in the T14)? I would of course follow it up with, but Boalt is still my #1 Choice (which it is).

THANKS.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:50 am

MissLucky wrote:I've gone CR and am thinking of sending them a letter updating them on this new place I work at and mentioning a couple of the schools I've gotten into thus far - is doing the latter in bad taste? would it be helpful or hurtful to mention other schools I got into (schools that are lower ranked but in the T14)? I would of course follow it up with, but Boalt is still my #1 Choice (which it is).

THANKS.

Sort of. It is too risky to sound like, see your peer schools think I am good enough, why don't you? You could say I would go to Boalt over any other acceptances I have, but then you wouldn't need to mention the other schools.

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:17 am

MissLucky wrote:I've gone CR and am thinking of sending them a letter updating them on this new place I work at and mentioning a couple of the schools I've gotten into thus far - is doing the latter in bad taste? would it be helpful or hurtful to mention other schools I got into (schools that are lower ranked but in the T14)? I would of course follow it up with, but Boalt is still my #1 Choice (which it is).
THANKS.

really bad taste. its a tiny-bit insulting to tell Berkeley that their admissions decisions should follow those of lower-ranked schools. (technically, it should go the other way around, no?). that's like telling someone "hey, they sell it at mcdonalds, so why don't they sell it at your restaurant?" (i'm exaggerating, but you get the point). i think the admissions people might also be a little insulted that you thought so little of their evaluating capacities that you decided to give them directions on how to make their decisions.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 am

melamine wrote: i think the admissions people might also be a little insulted that you thought so little of their evaluating capacities that you decided to give them directions on how to make their decisions.

I agree on your assessment. But don't you think we are all trying to tell admissions people how to make the "right" decision - by accepting us?

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am

r6_philly wrote:
melamine wrote: i think the admissions people might also be a little insulted that you thought so little of their evaluating capacities that you decided to give them directions on how to make their decisions.

I agree on your assessment. But don't you think we are all trying to tell admissions people how to make the "right" decision - by accepting us?

there's a difference between
(1) convincing a school that you meet their standards, and
(2) telling a school that their standards are not the right ones - and that they should be using some other standard (presumably one that gets you in).

we're all trying to tell admissions people how to make the "right" decision in the first sense. We are the "right" decision (allegedly) because we meet their standards. hopefully we're not doing the second. the first one is not insulting to the adcom - the second is. i'm not saying thats what she is intending to say in her LOCI - i'm just saying that that is how it could easily come across.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:57 am

melamine wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

there's a difference between
(1) convincing a school that you meet their standards, and
(2) telling a school that their standards are not the right ones - and that they should be using some other standard (presumably one that gets you in).

we're all trying to tell admissions people how to make the "right" decision in the first sense. We are the "right" decision (allegedly) because we meet their standards. hopefully we're not doing the second. the first one is not insulting to the adcom - the second is. i'm not saying thats what she is intending to say in her LOCI - i'm just saying that that is how it could easily come across.

well the reason I even thought of mentioning other schools was because last year when I was on waitlists, every school told me to let them know of where else I had been accepted. I am not mentioning other schools I have been accepted to to try and say "hey, they think im good enough and so should you" - i thought that by telling them they were my #1 choice and that I would attend if accepted, it may put me just over the edge when they consider that I have been accepted to other schools in the T14 and that I will thereby be decreasing the yield of other schools within the same general range as them (and thus indirectly bolstering their ranking) maybe im thinking into this too much and law schools arent SO machinating when it comes to their rankings...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”