Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cardinals1989

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Just went complete. Man, this is going a lot faster than in the fall...which makes me quite happy. :D

Maybe they will call you by the end of the business day! :mrgreen:

+170

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Can anyone please explain scholly offers and $$ because I haven't been offered anything from anywhere.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:55 pm

chrissyc wrote:Can anyone please explain scholly offers and $$ because I haven't been offered anything from anywhere.

For Boalt, wait until April.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey all, I was wondering how long it took you to go from submission --> decision/FR/CR.

I've been at UR since 1/10. Would like to know if it's a bad sign that I've heard nothing yet.

TheGreatWait

Postby TheGreatWait » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 am

jrose5 wrote:Hey all, I was wondering how long it took you to go from submission --> decision/FR/CR.

I've been at UR since 1/10. Would like to know if it's a bad sign that I've heard nothing yet.

I don't think you should be worried. If it helps, I went UR around 12/5 and got faculty review last week. I think it just takes a long time. Granted, I have zero insight into the admissions process, but I think that other people have had similar experiences to mine on here. Hope that helps!

bb8900

Postby bb8900 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 am

Got a NO in an email on Friday.

The email said "hey kid, thanks for the $75 bucks. We all had a great lunch. P.S. please don't waste our time anymore." JK. Rejection email was pretty nice, given they said thanks, but no thanks.

Oh well. This sucks, but Berk was a long shot.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 am

chasgoose wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Does a FAFSA request from Berkeley have any significance regarding liklihood of being admitted ?

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it said in the e-mail that the request had no bearing on our application status. Although, I guess I assumed everyone received one. Did anyone not receive one?

When? I don't think I've gotten anything from them recently.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

ahduth wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Does a FAFSA request from Berkeley have any significance regarding liklihood of being admitted ?

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it said in the e-mail that the request had no bearing on our application status. Although, I guess I assumed everyone received one. Did anyone not receive one?

Check your spam. They mentioned that all applicants would receive that fafsa email.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

ahduth wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

I got that right before New Years. It said something along the lines of: FAFSA will be available on Jan 1st. Fill it out ASAP just to save the time and move the process along as quick as possible. Won't affect your app.

Edit: Rec'd 12/16, first part: "This is an announcement to all applicants regarding the application process for financial aid. The Berkeley Law Financial Aid Office asks that you submit your applications for financial aid as soon as possible starting in January. Please do not wait until an admission decision is made"

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 am

Flips88 wrote:Edit: Rec'd 12/16, first part: "This is an announcement to all applicants regarding the application process for financial aid. The Berkeley Law Financial Aid Office asks that you submit your applications for financial aid as soon as possible starting in January. Please do not wait until an admission decision is made"

This is what I got yeah, as part of the 12/13 wave of admits. I don't think I've gotten anything since.

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 am

TheGreatWait wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Hey all, I was wondering how long it took you to go from submission --> decision/FR/CR.

I don't think you should be worried. If it helps, I went UR around 12/5 and got faculty review last week. I think it just takes a long time. Granted, I have zero insight into the admissions process, but I think that other people have had similar experiences to mine on here. Hope that helps!

I'm in the same situation and I'm median GPA and at/above 75th LSAT. Also a Berkeley alumna, though I think that may work against me since they're known to (slightly) disfavor Berkeley undergrads...

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

akikaze wrote:
TheGreatWait wrote:

I'm in the same situation and I'm median GPA and at/above 75th LSAT. Also a Berkeley alumna, though I think that may work against me since they're known to (slightly) disfavor Berkeley undergrads...

That's terrible. The university that I go to, which has a T25 law school, is known to ridiculously favor its own undergraduates.
I concluded that we shouldn't worry too much yet. LSN indicates that a few very strong applicants (numbers wise) who applied around the time we did already got in, but all this may say is that they were auto-admits, while we weren't. I'd give it a few more weeks before we begin to take it as a bad sign.

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 am

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:
giddybiscuit wrote:Any idea if the next round of committee review will be this Friday? I was thinking that's gotta be the day when all the faculty are not as busy or something....

That soon? A lot of people were saying the next round wouldn't start until February 18 (when first round CR decisions are released).

Oh, the 1st round CR decisions haven't been released? (relief)

RedItalus10

Postby RedItalus10 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 am

Hello. Im 166/3.7 who has been UR since 11/30. Is it appropriate to send an additional LOR or LOCI now, before any decision has been rendered? I know its a reach school for me, but with the holistic mantra, I suppose you never know. Thanks for the insights.

LegallyBrunette3

Postby LegallyBrunette3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:19 pm

If I am reading the stats correctly from last year (based off of LSN), it looks like a wave of rejections go out tomorrow. But two weeks from today really scares me because that is when the largest batch of rejections went out. Any thoughts?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:22 pm

LegallyBrunette3 wrote:If I am reading the stats correctly from last year (based off of LSN), it looks like a wave of rejections go out tomorrow. But two weeks from today really scares me because that is when the largest batch of rejections went out. Any thoughts?

Two weeks from tomorrow marks the date by which Faculty Review decisions are supposed to be rendered, explaining the large wave of rejections. Not sure about tomorrow's significance.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:45 pm

To anyone struggling with whether to send a LOCI (especially those who are in CR...unlike me, ha)

Hello, my name is .... and I have applied for admission to Berkeley Law. I would like to know if it would be frowned upon for me to submit a letter reflecting my continued interest prior to an initial decision. My application went complete on December 13th and I would like to indicate to the admissions office that Berkeley remains my top choice for a legal education throughout the application process. However, I do not want to interfere with the review process and understand if this is not appropriate.
Thank you for your consideration,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Boalt Hall Admissions Office <admissions@law.berkeley.edu> wrote:

Many people send these to us, but to be honest, our assumption is that you remain interested in the School.

Berkeley Law Admissions Office

LOL. There ya go.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

kelesands wrote:To anyone struggling with whether to send a LOCI (especially those who are in CR...unlike me, ha)

Hello, my name is .... and I have applied for admission to Berkeley Law. I would like to know if it would be frowned upon for me to submit a letter reflecting my continued interest prior to an initial decision. My application went complete on December 13th and I would like to indicate to the admissions office that Berkeley remains my top choice for a legal education throughout the application process. However, I do not want to interfere with the review process and understand if this is not appropriate.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Boalt Hall Admissions Office <admissions@law.berkeley.edu> wrote:

Many people send these to us, but to be honest, our assumption is that you remain interested in the School.

LOL. There ya go.

:lol: Is this for real?

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:56 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
kelesands wrote:To anyone struggling with whether to send a LOCI (especially those who are in CR...unlike me, ha)

LOL. There ya go.

That was my exact reaction! To see "to be honest" coming at me in that email...at least they didn't toy with me!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:09 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
kelesands wrote:

LOL. There ya go.

They are very frank and straight forward over there. Last year I sent an email with a question that was at least 5 paragraphs long, and the result was

"no"

That was it. :lol:

timmna

Postby timmna » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Amazing. Please, Berkeley, admit me through FR. I'm a straight shooter too.

lmi

Postby lmi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:15 pm

LOL. There ya go.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:36 pm

LOL! That email shot Berk up +10 points in my book.

DuxBellorum

Postby DuxBellorum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:38 pm

So based on last year we think Friday might come with dings. Were there any admits last year?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Between these threads and my status checkers I have become completely unproductive at work... :cry:

My boss thinks it's my wedding planning...I can't even think about that until I hear from schools. Sad.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”