Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whathojeeves

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
H: 833/7391 (559) - 11.27% Acceptance/67.1% Yield
Y: 270/3363 (214) - 8.03%/79.26%
S: 373/4082 (180) - 9.14%/48.26%
C: 1235/8505 (400) - 14.52%/32.39%
B: 803/7960 (292) - 10.09%/36.36%

ETA: Boalt has higher yield than Columbia. Also surprised at how many people don't apply to Y/S.

It does seem strange that the number is almost half HCB.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:What's the best way you've found to research neighborhoods in distant cities? I'm looking for a relatively cheap apartment in the Berkeley area, and I'm willing to commute on BART - but I'm not sure where to start looking.

I drove 400 miles in 2 days from morning to night checking out different neighborhoods. There are places I thought wow nice and others like ... err no. Ask the locals, and then go check them out during ASW. I didn't really like anything in Berkeley, but anything on the other side of the hills close to BART should be good bets. Unless you are into living close to campus.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

ETA: Boalt has higher yield than Columbia. Also surprised at how many people don't apply to Y/S.

I am not even sure that S/B overlaps that much, so that means there are like 5-6000 people who applied to Boalt who didn't apply to Stanford. Maybe there are a lot people using Boalt as reaches because their numerical quality is like 15th or something and they are known to be holistic, which will also explain why their acceptance rate is low (Boalt).

Still why did 4000 or more people apply to CLS and HLS but not YLS and SLS? I suspect Yale's total applicant numbers will be even lower this year due to the dean's cert requirement. Wait, don't tell me SLS's is low because of it?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I am not even sure that S/B overlaps that much, so that means there are like 5-6000 people who applied to Boalt who didn't apply to Stanford. Maybe there are a lot people using Boalt as reaches because their numerical quality is like 15th or something and they are known to be holistic, which will also explain why their acceptance rate is low (Boalt).

Still why did 4000 or more people apply to CLS and HLS but not YLS and SLS? I suspect Yale's total applicant numbers will be even lower this year due to the dean's cert requirement. Wait, don't tell me SLS's is low because of it?

Potentially because of the combination of Dean's Cert and the higher app fee? I didn't app to Yale because they were making the Dean's Cert overly complicated (from every attended institution as opposed to just your UG degree granting one), so can't remember the fee, but I remember that Stanford's was higher than CLS.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

whathojeeves wrote:Potentially because of the combination of Dean's Cert and the higher app fee? I didn't app to Yale because they were making the Dean's Cert overly complicated (from every attended institution as opposed to just your UG degree granting one), so can't remember the fee, but I remember that Stanford's was higher than CLS.

Does H give waivers? Y/S doesn't so maybe that's part of it. The dean cert thing was annoying because I had to send 4, but I would gladly do it twice over.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Well, if there are 200 seats, and 7000 applicants, then that's over 1 in 30, but I don't think it was meant to be taken exactly like that. Rather just as a statement that it's very competitive.

Considering we are in one of the toughest job markets EVER and there are numerous undergrads still unemployed, I would doubt there were only 7k applicants based on old LSAC data. I would expect it to be much higher

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:02 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:What's the best way you've found to research neighborhoods in distant cities? I'm looking for a relatively cheap apartment in the Berkeley area, and I'm willing to commute on BART - but I'm not sure where to start looking.

There are many listings on Craigslist. Oakland is pretty cheap, but you need to be careful about the location. If you are coming to ASW, you can check out the neighborhoods, but it may too soon to actually rent something. You may want to come out again in late June or July to look at actual apartments.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:21 pm

^^ this.

Rockridge is good
Claremont is good
North Berkeley is expensive but close to campus and nice
Albany has good schools
Piedmont does too
And those of us thru the tunnel rock. Just sayin'

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Sinra wrote:
LilMonsterAnnie wrote:
The official LSAT data says 803/7960 (292 matrics). It can't be 1 out 30
Minding quoting the exact wording? If there are more than 10000 applicants this year it will change my cycle outlook quite a bit.

Just for you R6 - 'cause I am just that kind of gal. I had to access my folder remote from work and found it.
He was very kind and encouraged me to consider transferring after my first year. Not sure if he sends this to everyone, but it definately took the "sting" away.

FROM DEAN TOM: Our decision was not easy. The majority of our applicants are well-qualified to pursue the study of law, and indeed many of them are qualified to pursue that study at Berkeley. But with more than thirty applicants competing for each place in the class, our choices must be highly selective. Although our review process is thorough, it is also human, fallible, and in part subjective.

You are to be congratulated on your accomplishments, and I hope that you will be admitted at other law schools. If Berkeley Law remains your first choice you may wish to consider applying to transfer at the end of your first year at another ABA-approved law school. Transfer applicants are evaluated primarily on their first-year performance, and we offer advanced standing admission to 40-45 students annually from an applicant pool of approximately 250-300 candidates.

I am sorry that this letter must convey disappointing news. We wish you all the best in your applications to other law schools and in your career. Thank you very much for your interest in Berkeley Law and for entrusting us with your application.

As I said earlier, good luck to everyone still waiting. If you have been accepted, just rememember, you were selected from over 12k applicants (If my math is correct - which I believe it is)

Seriously, though? How NICE is Dean Tom? The whole way that Berkeley communicates with people makes me love them. Sorry though either way. That stinks. :cry:

Seconded. Getting rejected sucks, but this letter is as up-front, respectful and kind as I can imagine. Way to go Boalt.

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Not quite as exciting today as yesterday...

Calm before the storm? (part II that is)

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Sinra wrote:
LilMonsterAnnie wrote:
The official LSAT data says 803/7960 (292 matrics). It can't be 1 out 30
Minding quoting the exact wording? If there are more than 10000 applicants this year it will change my cycle outlook quite a bit.

Just for you R6 - 'cause I am just that kind of gal. I had to access my folder remote from work and found it.
He was very kind and encouraged me to consider transferring after my first year. Not sure if he sends this to everyone, but it definately took the "sting" away.

FROM DEAN TOM: Our decision was not easy. The majority of our applicants are well-qualified to pursue the study of law, and indeed many of them are qualified to pursue that study at Berkeley. But with more than thirty applicants competing for each place in the class, our choices must be highly selective. Although our review process is thorough, it is also human, fallible, and in part subjective.

You are to be congratulated on your accomplishments, and I hope that you will be admitted at other law schools. If Berkeley Law remains your first choice you may wish to consider applying to transfer at the end of your first year at another ABA-approved law school. Transfer applicants are evaluated primarily on their first-year performance, and we offer advanced standing admission to 40-45 students annually from an applicant pool of approximately 250-300 candidates.

I am sorry that this letter must convey disappointing news. We wish you all the best in your applications to other law schools and in your career. Thank you very much for your interest in Berkeley Law and for entrusting us with your application.

As I said earlier, good luck to everyone still waiting. If you have been accepted, just rememember, you were selected from over 12k applicants (If my math is correct - which I believe it is)

Seriously, though? How NICE is Dean Tom? The whole way that Berkeley communicates with people makes me love them. Sorry though either way. That stinks. :cry:

Seconded. Getting rejected sucks, but this letter is as up-front, respectful and kind as I can imagine. Way to go Boalt.

Wait, you got rejected Habit? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

No, Habit got in a long time ago. I think she was just "feeling" plebes who didn't make the cut.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

No, Habit got in a long time ago. I think she was just "feeling" plebes who didn't make the cut.

I'm pretty sure Habit hasn't gotten B, YET. Keyword being yet :). Guess it's about that time for my daily appeal to Boalt: Please please please let in Hipster & Habit.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Knock wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Habit hasn't gotten B, YET. Keyword being yet :). Guess it's about that time for my daily appeal to Boalt: Please please please let in Hipster & Habit.

Excellence didn't get in? I coulda sworn I remember her saying she got in. If not, sorry :oops:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Knock wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

*coughs*

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Knock wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Excellence didn't get in? I coulda sworn I remember her saying she got in. If not, sorry :oops:

Oh my Gosh my ears are burning. Knock is right that I haven't been accepted yet, and Aggie's right that I haven't been rejected yet. Hooray, I'm still in purgatory! (Doesn't feel too bad.)

and so is Bild, and DaisyDuke, and lakerfanimal, and a million others who I'm forgetting, and we are all going to be admitted tomorrow and our towns will all hold parades in our honor. :mrgreen:

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Oh my Gosh my ears are burning. Knock is right that I haven't been accepted yet, and Aggie's right that I haven't been rejected yet. Hooray, I'm still in purgatory! (Doesn't feel too bad.)

and so is Bild, and DaisyDuke, and lakerfanimal, and a million others who I'm forgetting, and we are all going to be admitted tomorrow and our towns will all hold parades in our honor. :mrgreen:

+1. HAHAHAHA for that parades comment. Hahahah I hope we all get into Berkeley just because I know ASW will be spectacular. Hahahahaha o man

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:+1. HAHAHAHA for that parades comment. Hahahah I hope we all get into Berkeley just because I know ASW will be spectacular. Hahahahaha o man

Of course it will, think of all the TLS cool cats that will be there!

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 pm

MUCH LOVE Habit!!! I am feeling tomorrow :D :D :D

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Personally, I hope to be dinged by Northwestern, Penn, and Boalt on the same day. Preferably within the same hour. It's kind of like ripping the Band-Aid off instead of slowly pulling it, ya'know?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Personally, I hope to be dinged by Northwestern, Penn, and Boalt on the same day. Preferably within the same hour. It's kind of like ripping the Band-Aid off instead of slowly pulling it, ya'know?

No you want to e WLed by all if anything so you can decide to give up instead of getting dinged. Of course 1 acceptance would make it all better.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:and we are all going to be admitted tomorrow and our towns will all hold parades in our honor. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a plan, my town could use a parade.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Personally, I hope to be dinged by Northwestern, Penn, and Boalt on the same day. Preferably within the same hour. It's kind of like ripping the Band-Aid off instead of slowly pulling it, ya'know?

No you want to e WLed by all if anything so you can decide to give up instead of getting dinged. Of course 1 acceptance would make it all better.

Honestly, and I'd like your opinion on this... I am concerned that, with WLs, even with visits (I am going to visit all my WL's except for W&L), my seat deposit @ Hastings will be due (May 1) and I'll have no word from my WLs. Then it becomes a MASSIVE gamble: Put the seat deposit in and call it a cycle, or keep waiting for the call that most likely won't come?

=-/

Yea, one acceptance from either of those would make my frakking life perfect. It'll make the last 4 years of slaving my brains out in school to try to be #1 in my graduating class worth it. Especially since NU would be so cheap for me. *drool*. Oh well... c'est la vie.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Honestly, and I'd like your opinion on this... I am concerned that, with WLs, even with visits (I am going to visit all my WL's except for W&L), my seat deposit @ Hastings will be due (May 1) and I'll have no word from my WLs. Then it becomes a MASSIVE gamble: Put the seat deposit in and call it a cycle, or keep waiting for the call that most likely won't come?

=-/

Yea, one acceptance from either of those would make my frakking life perfect. It'll make the last 4 years of slaving my brains out in school to try to be #1 in my graduating class worth it. Especially since NU would be so cheap for me. *drool*. Oh well... c'est la vie.

Wait, can't you put down a seat deposit and then withdraw later (sacrificing the deposit) if you get off a waitlist? I know that sucks financially, and is not so great for the law school you withdraw from, but I thought that was the established practice for getting off of waitlists late in the game.

Also, Aggie, it's way too soon to be thinking about that because Boalt has got to be drooling all over your GPA/rank.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

=-/

Wait, can't you put down a seat deposit and then withdraw later (sacrificing the deposit) if you get off a waitlist? I know that sucks financially, and is not so great for the law school you withdraw from, but I thought that was the established practice for getting off of waitlists late in the game.

Also, Aggie, it's way too soon to be thinking about that because Boalt has got to be drooling all over your GPA/rank.

Yeah, you can do that. Berkeley doesn't require you to place down a dollar commitment though, so i'd kind of feel bad if I did that. Whereas with other schools, i'd just be like, well you got a free few hundred bucks :P.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”