Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Silver

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by sarahh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarahh wrote:According the Chronicle, Brown plans to cut UC funding by $500 million. And there is the issue of some highly-compensated executives (including the dean of the law school) threatening to sue if their pensions are not increased. The instability is making it hard to consider the school as an option. What is going to happen over the next few years?
Isn't the law school large self-funded? I'd be surprised if the school is not feeding $ back into the parent university.

The pension is going to have to be decreased, they just can't operate that way. Either raise taxes (contribution) or reduce benefits. Since they are not in any shape to raise taxes, benefit reduction seems like the way to go.
I don't know exactly how it works, but the tuition increases in the past two years have been the same percent across the board for all of UC Berkeley.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Committee review? Pretty please? I promise to make classroom discussions interesting. And to occasionally be insanely brilliant...
[/quote]

FTFY
:D

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm

lisavj wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Committee review? Pretty please? I promise to make classroom discussions interesting. And to occasionally be insanely brilliant...
FTFY
:D
<3

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Submitted on 1/7 and now under review. That was quick!

ScarryBakhtin

Bronze

Post by ScarryBakhtin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Berkeley doesn't have a "Complete," if I remember correctly. They receive your materials and place your "file under review."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:Berkeley doesn't have a "Complete," if I remember correctly. They receive your materials and place your "file under review."
Well, that's disappointing. :P

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:Berkeley doesn't have a "Complete," if I remember correctly. They receive your materials and place your "file under review."
My file was incomplete due to oustanding Dec. LSAT score. Went complete on 1/7 and switched to under review today.

EDIT: Got an email from Berkeley confirming that my file is under review.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Flips88 wrote:
My file was incomplete due to oustanding Dec. LSAT score. Went complete on 1/7 and switched to under review today.

EDIT: Got an email from Berkeley confirming that my file is under review.
Me too. What is the typical turnaround time for decisions, anyone?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:51 pm

I definitely saw a "Complete" status over the weekend that has been changed to "Under Review" today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lilliea

New

Post by lilliea » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Applied and got the under review email today :shock: Somehow I don't think this is normal

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 pm

lilliea wrote:Applied and got the under review email today :shock: Somehow I don't think this is normal
but it is, the turnaround to UR is pretty quick

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Any admits receive their package in the mail yet? USPS or private courier? In my status checker it says it mailed like five days ago, but I haven't received anything yet (and I'm a Cal resident :shock: ).

Did receive info on accessing admitted students website today though . . .

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm

People say UR is equivalent to "Complete" because nearly everyone gets the fast turn-around. People have been UR for months and months, so essentially there's really no indication whether you'll be hearing back apart from the decision date graphs.

What I'm wondering is even though I submitted in December with a pending Dec. LSAT, did they look at my file without it? I'm sure it affects the order in which they review the recently completed applications though. Berkeley's a long shot for me, hoping my softs pull me through.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:50 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Any admits receive their package in the mail yet? USPS or private courier? In my status checker it says it mailed like five days ago, but I haven't received anything yet (and I'm a Cal resident :shock: ).

USPS. The mailing date was quite a bit earlier than the date I actually received it. You get a folder with 3 letters, a pamphlet, a view book and the Transcript magazine.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

aesis wrote:People say UR is equivalent to "Complete" because nearly everyone gets the fast turn-around. People have been UR for months and months, so essentially there's really no indication whether you'll be hearing back apart from the decision date graphs.

What I'm wondering is even though I submitted in December with a pending Dec. LSAT, did they look at my file without it? I'm sure it affects the order in which they review the recently completed applications though. Berkeley's a long shot for me, hoping my softs pull me through.
I'm with you. Submitted app on 11/27, with December pending.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Any admits receive their package in the mail yet? USPS or private courier? In my status checker it says it mailed like five days ago, but I haven't received anything yet (and I'm a Cal resident :shock: ).

USPS. The mailing date was quite a bit earlier than the date I actually received it. You get a folder with 3 letters, a pamphlet, a view book and the Transcript magazine.
I'm guessing none of those letters are scholarship/need-based aid letters, right? I think I recall from their website that that info comes after the FAFSA is finalized, but I can't recall . . .

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: I'm guessing none of those letters are scholarship/need-based aid letters, right? I think I recall from their website that that info comes after the FAFSA is finalized, but I can't recall . . .
There is your acceptance letter, a letter from the Dean of Boalt, and a letter from Financial Aid with instructions on submitting materials. You will not receive your aid offer until later. I also think they will expect most people to submit matching offer requests before making substantial offers, sounds like they won't be giving a lot of money outright.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote: I'm guessing none of those letters are scholarship/need-based aid letters, right? I think I recall from their website that that info comes after the FAFSA is finalized, but I can't recall . . .
There is your acceptance letter, a letter from the Dean of Boalt, and a letter from Financial Aid with instructions on submitting materials. You will not receive your aid offer until later. I also think they will expect most people to submit matching offer requests before making substantial offers, sounds like they won't be giving a lot of money outright.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info. I'm so happy to have the opportunity to return to my undergrad for law school 8) .

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Okay. This might not be the best spot to post this...but it deals with Berkeley exclusively...so what the hell (and from me jumping around the forum...you lot seem extremely nice. The BC kids are nice, too).

My supervisor pulled me aside the other day and said she wanted to write a LOR for me after she found out I applied to Berkeley. Since she graduated from their law school, I said sure. However, I submitted my application a LONG time ago and I have been UR since 11/15. Should I still send the LOR in even though it has been in review for so long already?

Any back to this thread: CONGRATZ to all who got accepted!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:01 am

lhlee wrote:Okay. This might not be the best spot to post this...but it deals with Berkeley exclusively...so what the hell (and from me jumping around the forum...you lot seem extremely nice. The BC kids are nice, too).

My supervisor pulled me aside the other day and said she wanted to write a LOR for me after she found out I applied to Berkeley. Since she graduated from their law school, I said sure. However, I submitted my application a LONG time ago and I have been UR since 11/15. Should I still send the LOR in even though it has been in review for so long already?

YES! An alum will help, so just update LSAC and assign it to Berkeley. You can even write then and let them know an alum is writing you a new LOR so look for it. They are nice over there.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
lhlee wrote:Okay. This might not be the best spot to post this...but it deals with Berkeley exclusively...so what the hell (and from me jumping around the forum...you lot seem extremely nice. The BC kids are nice, too).

YES! An alum will help, so just update LSAC and assign it to Berkeley. You can even write then and let them know an alum is writing you a new LOR so look for it. They are nice over there.
They are nice! They wrote me a nice e-mail when I updated my transcript and told them about my honors program thing. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alive

New

Post by alive » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 am

r6_philly wrote:

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway... What about an alum who is a partner at a large international law firm (Vault 100 firm)? I ask for Berkeley because I have been under review since October as well as Harvard (held there today). I haven't worked with or for the attorneys in any capacity. Just family friends. May or may not be large donors... Does anyone think this would help (or hurt)?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am

alive wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway... What about an alum who is a partner at a large international law firm (Vault 100 firm)? I ask for Berkeley because I have been under review since October as well as Harvard (held there today). I haven't worked with or for the attorneys in any capacity. Just family friends. May or may not be large donors... Does anyone think this would help (or hurt)?
i lol'd

alive

New

Post by alive » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
alive wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

i lol'd
Sorry, desperate here. Reaching for connections. One alum is extremely large donor, one is not.

But yeah it's a stretch. :roll:

That's the problem with being out of school and having a job. I have nothing to update these schools on.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:26 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

They are nice! They wrote me a nice e-mail when I updated my transcript and told them about my honors program thing. :D

Thanks guys! I wasn't expecting an answer this fast. TLS is just this awesome, I guess. I was planning to update admissions that I have started volunteering at a DV clinic and also at a Workers' Rights Clinic before my supervisor told me that she would write me a LOR, but now I don't have to write something up (since I feel that would be overkill)! I just emailed Berkeley to see how they would like to accept additional LORs. Since the LOR is tailored to Berkeley, I feel that it is a lot easier to just mail it to them through snail mail. I'll let you guys know once I get a response.

Thanks y'all!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”