Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:34 am

Anyone know if they over enrolled this year?

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Tumbleweeds blowing through this thread. Are there no updates for Boalt? They need to update their twitter feed the way Chicago does.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:51 pm

reversejinx wrote:Tumbleweeds blowing through this thread. Are there no updates for Boalt? They need to update their twitter feed the way Chicago does.

...law school admissions offices have twitter feeds? :shock:

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:00 pm

NZA wrote:
reversejinx wrote:Tumbleweeds blowing through this thread. Are there no updates for Boalt? They need to update their twitter feed the way Chicago does.

Berkeley:
http://twitter.com/boaltadmissions
Chicago:
http://twitter.com/uchicagolawapps

Those are the two I know of...

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
NZA wrote:

Berkeley:
Chicago:

http://twitter.com/ylsadmissions
http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:13 pm

daisyduke wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
NZA wrote:

Berkeley:
Chicago:

http://twitter.com/ylsadmissions
http://twitter.com/nulawadmissions

Oops, forgot about those. Both schools I didn't apply to :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:19 am

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:Anyone know if they over enrolled this year?

they did not over-enroll. # in class was right on target.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:14 am

Fun fact/bump:

Wikipedia wrote:In April 2008, the law school rebranded itself from "Boalt Hall" to "Berkeley Law", in order to more closely tie the law school's name with the campus upon which it resides. The administration hopes that this move will further increase the law school's prestige, since people will now associate it with the Berkeley campus.

And here is what the Berkeley Law website says about it: --LinkRemoved--.

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:04 pm

Quick question for other applicants - Would it be worth it to submit an application to Berkeley today? Since I am planning to defer my acceptances for two years (Teach For America), I figured I would apply to Berkeley and some other schools (from which I did not receive application fee waivers) during next year's application cycle. The more I think about it though, the more I'd love to attend Berkeley and the more I regret not submitting an application. Or is it too late to apply? Any thoughts?

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

environmentallaw wrote:Quick question for other applicants - Would it be worth it to submit an application to Berkeley today? Since I am planning to defer my acceptances for two years (Teach For America), I figured I would apply to Berkeley and some other schools (from which I did not receive application fee waivers) during next year's application cycle. The more I think about it though, the more I'd love to attend Berkeley and the more I regret not submitting an application. Or is it too late to apply? Any thoughts?

Don't waste your money. Most LSs won't defer admissions for things like TOA, anyway. :)

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:08 pm

NZA wrote:
environmentallaw wrote:Quick question for other applicants - Would it be worth it to submit an application to Berkeley today? Since I am planning to defer my acceptances for two years (Teach For America), I figured I would apply to Berkeley and some other schools (from which I did not receive application fee waivers) during next year's application cycle. The more I think about it though, the more I'd love to attend Berkeley and the more I regret not submitting an application. Or is it too late to apply? Any thoughts?

Don't waste your money. Most LSs won't defer admissions for things like TOA, anyway. :)

http://www.teachforamerica.org/after-th ... tnerships/

Surprisingly, a lot of law schools do grant deferrals.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 pm

NZA wrote:

Most LSs won't defer admissions for things like TOA :)

FTFY

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 pm

environmentallaw wrote:
NZA wrote:

http://www.teachforamerica.org/after-th ... tnerships/

Surprisingly, a lot of law schools do grant deferrals.

Hmm, I was going off of this:

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm#Q19 wrote:Deferment requests are considered on an individual basis. It is best to apply in the year that you intend to enter law school. With sufficient reason, deferments are granted to a limited number of admitted applicants.

EDIT: Anyway, the person who was asking the question gets no advantage by applying this year, as opposed to applying in two years when he/she will get a fee waiver, be able to apply early, and have two years of TOA experience in order to write an interesting PS.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm

NZA wrote: EDIT: Anyway, the person who was asking the question gets no advantage by applying this year, as opposed to applying in two years when he/she will get a fee waiver, be able to apply early, and have two years of TOA experience in order to write an interesting PS.

This. It makes no sense to apply now, especially when you'd be applying late. If you really want Berkeley, it will be there in two years, and you'll be more competitive for scholarships.

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 pm

RTFM wrote:
NZA wrote: EDIT: Anyway, the person who was asking the question gets no advantage by applying this year, as opposed to applying in two years when he/she will get a fee waiver, be able to apply early, and have two years of TOA experience in order to write an interesting PS.

This. It makes no sense to apply now, especially when you'd be applying late. If you really want Berkeley, it will be there in two years, and you'll be more competitive for scholarships.

Very true. Thanks!

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:56 pm

I have a question. Berkeley is far and away my top choice, and I would absolutely go there (like many, many people) if accepted. However, I am OOS and a splitter (3.49/172), and I understand Berkeley doesn't like splitters. In fact, from what I can tell, I am almost absolutely an auto-ding. Does anyone think that sending in a supplementary Why Berkeley letter at this point would help? I submitted my application about a month ago. And if so, does anyone have any suggestions for that? I want to work on the west coast practicing environmental law, so Berkeley really is perfect for me. If only I was perfect for them...

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:18 pm

whitman wrote:I have a question. Berkeley is far and away my top choice, and I would absolutely go there (like many, many people) if accepted. However, I am OOS and a splitter (3.49/172), and I understand Berkeley doesn't like splitters. In fact, from what I can tell, I am almost absolutely an auto-ding. Does anyone think that sending in a supplementary Why Berkeley letter at this point would help? I submitted my application about a month ago. And if so, does anyone have any suggestions for that? I want to work on the west coast practicing environmental law, so Berkeley really is perfect for me. If only I was perfect for them...

The general consensus on this forum has been that a "Why Berkeley" is unnecessary.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130044&start=25

This link is for the Boalt 1Ls answering questions thread. About midway down the page I linked you to, Shaggier addresses why a "Why Berkeley" is probably not really going to help. Hope that helps.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 pm

I still think writing more than 2 pages is better than sending an extra essay. If you really love Berkeley more than other peer schools, then write a Berkeley specific essay and use 3-4 pages. There is no reason to send a 2 page PS + 1 page why since they give you 4 pages to put whatever you want in it.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:12 am

whitman wrote:I have a question. Berkeley is far and away my top choice, and I would absolutely go there (like many, many people) if accepted. However, I am OOS and a splitter (3.49/172), and I understand Berkeley doesn't like splitters. In fact, from what I can tell, I am almost absolutely an auto-ding. Does anyone think that sending in a supplementary Why Berkeley letter at this point would help? I submitted my application about a month ago. And if so, does anyone have any suggestions for that? I want to work on the west coast practicing environmental law, so Berkeley really is perfect for me. If only I was perfect for them...

I was an OOS splitter, and I got the Berkeley love (and gave it back by attending). I'm a big proponent of telling the admissions office exactly where you stand - if you would truly take their offer above all others, then tell them that. It doesn't have to be a big diatribe about the state of the union (especially since it sounds like you've already applied). It cannot hurt to send them a nice, quick <1 page note about why you think so highly of the school and the critical piece of information: you'd immediately accept the offer if admitted. And if you think you're an auto-ding (I'm not sure why you think so) it really can't hurt.

Good luck!

edit: awkward phrasing

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:08 am

Happy New Year and Hullo all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Berkeley undergrad applying to Boalt with high hopes, but not many prospects. 166/3.85, in review since 11/15.... I knew I wasn't an "automatic admit," but I'm hoping to return to my dear alma mater for law school.... I think I've got a 1 in 4 chance, which isn't too good... but there is always hope.

Hoping to hear something one of these days, as I think the Cal staff returned to work today :)

Kent M

Postby Kent M » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 am

All Ace Attorney fans should be auto admits everywhere.

Anyways, I'm hoping for some action today as well.

marklg89

Postby marklg89 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:31 am

Under review since 10/18... is all hope lost?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:35 am

I was wondering, how would it work to tell berkely they are your one and only if accepted? do you just say "I love the school...and will attend if granted admission?"

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46 am

marklg89 wrote:Under review since 10/18... is all hope lost?

Same here.... :-/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”