Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
daisyduke

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby daisyduke » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Berkeley, where are you?? Why so quiet?

When do we give up hope for a pre-break answer?

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:31 pm

daisyduke wrote:Berkeley, where are you?? Why so quiet?

:(

I'm just resigned to a rejection. But that's okay...I can move on. *sniff sniff* Somehow.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:32 pm

They should be open tomorrow. So, about 24 hours from now.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Berkeley scares me a little...they don't mess around with waitlists, they just reject... their LSN graph has more red on it than any other one I've seen.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 pm

calilaw wrote:

Hate to say it guys but this http://www.law.berkeley.edu/198.htm seems to indicate they're already shut.

Admittedly, its under the general visiting section, but it does seem likely that "Our office will be closed December 20 - 31, 2010" may include application updates.

Blah. I was hoping to know SOMETHING before break. Guess its off to CR I go!

alive

Postby alive » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:48 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
calilaw wrote:

Hate to say it guys but this http://www.law.berkeley.edu/198.htm seems to indicate they're already shut.

Admittedly, its under the general visiting section, but it does seem likely that "Our office will be closed December 20 - 31, 2010" may include application updates.

Ugh. On the bright side, at least we can keep the dream alive for a few more weeks...

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
calilaw wrote:

That's disappointing :| . I'm behind my desk at another UC campus right now. But I guess it differs from campus to campus (or the law schools set their own calendars).

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Ready for Committee Review!

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Sweet. Now I can completely relax this holiday without worrying if I missed another admission round.

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Why is everyone so certain that they're going to Committee Review? Isn't it possible that there are more rounds of Dean Tom acceptances in January?

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 pm

camelcrema wrote:Why is everyone so certain that they're going to Committee Review? Isn't it possible that there are more rounds of Dean Tom acceptances in January?

Possible, but you have to consider when you applied. Berkeley has made it very clear that they review applications based on the order they came in and then make decisions on where they go from there in that order. So essentially, if you applied around October which is when most of us who have gotten in applied, you already know that either you ended up in the reject pile or you went through to committee review, otherwise you most likely would've heard by now.

So yes, there are more rounds of acceptances from Dean Tom, however, if you applied early enough, you're likely in committee review. That's my understanding of how things work anyway.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:59 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:Possible, but you have to consider when you applied. Berkeley has made it very clear that they review applications based on the order they came in and then make decisions on where they go from there in that order.

Dean Tom said he reads them in submission order, but I don't think the decisions are made exactly in order. I got accepted after people who had applied later than me. So perhaps he has a maybe pile that he goes backs and reviews again before the applications are sent to committee review.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:05 pm

sarahh wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:Possible, but you have to consider when you applied. Berkeley has made it very clear that they review applications based on the order they came in and then make decisions on where they go from there in that order.

Dean Tom said he reads them in submission order, but I don't think the decisions are made exactly in order. I got accepted after people who had applied later than me. So perhaps he has a maybe pile that he goes backs and reviews again before the applications are sent to committee review.

Given the holistic approach, this seems like the most likely scenario. :)

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:14 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:
camelcrema wrote:Why is everyone so certain that they're going to Committee Review? Isn't it possible that there are more rounds of Dean Tom acceptances in January?

Possible, but you have to consider when you applied. Berkeley has made it very clear that they review applications based on the order they came in and then make decisions on where they go from there in that order. So essentially, if you applied around October which is when most of us who have gotten in applied, you already know that either you ended up in the reject pile or you went through to committee review, otherwise you most likely would've heard by now.

So yes, there are more rounds of acceptances from Dean Tom, however, if you applied early enough, you're likely in committee review. That's my understanding of how things work anyway.

Don't they tell us if we go to committee review? That makes me think that they may not have made a decision one way or another with some of our applications (or they just haven't told us yet).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Submitted a couple days ago, just got my application received/status checker email.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:44 pm

RTFM wrote:Don't they tell us if we go to committee review? That makes me think that they may not have made a decision one way or another with some of our applications (or they just haven't told us yet).

IIRC from last cycle, those who are sent to committee review receive a notification email, which also contains an approximate decision date.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Submitted a couple days ago, just got my application received/status checker email.

And just got the UR email 20 minutes later. Berkeley, you're magnificently efficient. Not like certain other schools... *cough Chicago cough*

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm starting to suspect Berkeley has simply set up an automated updater for UR.... no one is in the office right now.. they're closed.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:59 pm

leeronalda wrote:I'm starting to suspect Berkeley has simply set up an automated updater for UR.... no one is in the office right now.. they're closed.

I choose to believe that they heard about my app and came into the office during their week off to give it special and expedited treatment before another top school managed to snag me with promises of enormous scholarships and beautiful tutors.

Please nobody contradict this :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:00 pm

leeronalda wrote:I'm starting to suspect Berkeley has simply set up an automated updater for UR.... no one is in the office right now.. they're closed.

The UR email is sent from LSAC's server, meaning it's an auto email when you file goes from complete to UR. So the office is probably pulling and reviewing files, either in the office or remotely.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm

However clear they made it, it's total bullshit. I applied in the month of December and was accepted 11 days later. They did not review my application in the order it was received lol.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

I choose to believe that they heard about my app and came into the office during their week off to give it special and expedited treatment before another top school managed to snag me with promises of enormous scholarships and beautiful tutors.

Please nobody contradict this :(

hahah i like

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:49 pm

ahduth wrote:

However clear they made it, it's total bullshit. I applied in the month of December and was accepted 11 days later. They did not review my application in the order it was received lol.

They very well could of and realized you were an excellent candidate almost immediately. I don't think people realize how these admissions offices work. I made "accept/deny" decisions for an organization this past summer, and while it wasn't related to student admissions, I imagine the process is somewhat the same:

First you have the pile for what you think are pretty good candidates. Then you have the auto ding pile, based on whatever it is you notice about the application outright. Then you have the much, much bigger pile, which is "I don't know what the hell I want to do with these candidates" pile, which gets continuously re-reviewed, added to, and eventually picked away at.

TLS folks always seem to think that admissions offices at these schools work in very specific patterns. I don't think they do. They might have general parameters for how they review apps and accept people, sure, but the end decisions come down to the habits of individual people. Odds are that when you're not making decisions based strictly off of LSAT/GPA that applications can require weeks and even months of follow-up review.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Tanicius wrote:
ahduth wrote:

They very well could of and realized you were an excellent candidate almost immediately. I don't think people realize how these admissions offices work. I made "accept/deny" decisions for an organization this past summer, and while it wasn't related to student admissions, I imagine the process is somewhat the same:

First you have the pile for what you think are pretty good candidates. Then you have the auto ding pile, based on whatever it is you notice about the application outright. Then you have the much, much bigger pile, which is "I don't know what the hell I want to do with these candidates" pile, which gets continuously re-reviewed, added to, and eventually picked away at.

TLS folks always seem to think that admissions offices at these schools work in very specific patterns. I don't think they do. They might have general parameters for how they review apps and accept people, sure, but the end decisions come down to the habits of individual people. Odds are that when you're not making decisions based strictly off of LSAT/GPA that applications can require weeks and even months of follow-up review.

I would generally agree with this statement, but two comments. First to ahduth, if I recall, you were in the 12/13 admit group, which was the most recent, and until someone who submitted before you receives a decision after you without going through to committee review, you aren't necessarily proof that they aren't reviewed in order. I find it highly unlikely that everything goes perfectly in order at Berkeley as they seem to claim, but I do think that their decisions are more in line with when you applied than others are (cough cough, UCLA). Either way, hopefully there's some more good news soon! The In at Berkeley thread has been far too slow lately : (

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:40 pm

There's more than a page on LSN last year for people who got admitted before January, and a 1/3 of that or so this year.. :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”