Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sgtgrumbles

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Why can't Berkeley hurry up and ding this sub-3.6 splitter? Under review 12/3.

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Seriously, why so little movement compared to last year? Could they be accepting fewer applicants this year for budgetary reasons?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:25 pm

src42 wrote:Seriously, why so little movement compared to last year? Could they be accepting fewer applicants this year for budgetary reasons?

They should accept far more borderlines so they can pay the jacked up non-resident sticker, for budgetary reasons. I wouldn't read too much into the timing. It seems like a few schools are doing things differently, for whatever reasons.

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
src42 wrote:Seriously, why so little movement compared to last year? Could they be accepting fewer applicants this year for budgetary reasons?

They should accept far more borderlines so they can pay the jacked up non-resident sticker, for budgetary reasons. I wouldn't read too much into the timing. It seems like a few schools are doing things differently, for whatever reasons.

Yeah that makes sense. This website tends to distort my sense of perspective. :)

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:

YES!

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Luckily for us California residents, they have to accept a certain percentage of us!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:38 pm

jamiLAW wrote:Luckily for us California residents, they have to accept a certain percentage of us!

i thought ca schools didn't do that? am i making that up?

gov

Postby gov » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:40 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
jamiLAW wrote:Luckily for us California residents, they have to accept a certain percentage of us!

Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?
You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

From the website.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:40 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

I know that for undergrad, they're required to find a place (or a guaranteed transfer option) at either a CSU or a UC for every eligible California resident. Not sure about law school.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:43 pm

whathojeeves wrote:I know that for undergrad, they're required to find a place (or a guaranteed transfer option) at either a CSU or a UC for every eligible California resident. Not sure about law school.

pretty sure this doesn't happen for law school..

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:I know that for undergrad, they're required to find a place (or a guaranteed transfer option) at either a CSU or a UC for every eligible California resident. Not sure about law school.

In a dream world, maybe. I would very much like to live there. I hear they have no status checkers. Just giant CONGRATS signs that pop up as soon as you submit your application.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

Boalt is flagship UC, it can't happen. they can always find spaces in lower ranked UCs even if they is an requirement for seats in CA. Besides, you can take the bar exam in CA without going to LS so I doubt there would be rules reserving seats.

eecs

Postby eecs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:52 pm

govorett wrote: We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

From the website.

Doesn't this mean that #admitted from CA = #admitted from 49 other states? Not sure what the proportions of applicants are, though.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Boalt is flagship UC, it can't happen. they can always find spaces in lower ranked UCs even if they is an requirement for seats in CA. Besides, you can take the bar exam in CA without going to LS so I doubt there would be rules reserving seats.

For undergrad? Its definitely possible to get into Berkeley with lower requirements if you're a CA resident (I did). But it definitely doesn't make sense for law school, sadly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

For undergrad? Its definitely possible to get into Berkeley with lower requirements if you're a CA resident (I did). But it definitely doesn't make sense for law school, sadly.

Sorry I mean Boalt Hall only - not UG.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:57 pm

eecs wrote:
govorett wrote: We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

From the website.

Doesn't this mean that #admitted from CA = #admitted from 49 other states? Not sure what the proportions of applicants are, though.

I hope that is bad wording, but you never know.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:

From the website.

I hope that is bad wording, but you never know.

--ImageRemoved--

I should have edited this to read "on this university's admissions information site" but I am LAZY.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:46 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

I demand that Hipster be admitted to Boalt already!!!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Knock wrote:I demand that Hipster be admitted to Boalt already!!!

<3 <3 <3

Philip_J_Fry

Postby Philip_J_Fry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:19 pm

UR as of 11/15/2010
This is making me crazy

culinaryorlawschool

Postby culinaryorlawschool » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:35 pm

UR since 11/15... I had hoped with my numbers (3.8+/174) and softs I had a chance of getting in before the holidays and skipping CR but now I'm really worried. Since Berkeley's process is supposed to be more holistic, a rejection from them would feel more personal... like they're not just rejecting my numbers, they are rejecting ME. And Berkeley is my top choice, too.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:37 pm

culinaryorlawschool wrote:UR since 11/15... I had hoped with my numbers (3.8+/174) and softs I had a chance of getting in before the holidays and skipping CR but now I'm really worried. Since Berkeley's process is supposed to be more holistic, a rejection from them would feel more personal... like they're not just rejecting my numbers, they are rejecting ME. And Berkeley is my top choice, too.

Just wanted to say I love your name. :) And good luck!

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 pm

culinaryorlawschool wrote:UR since 11/15... I had hoped with my numbers (3.8+/174) and softs I had a chance of getting in before the holidays and skipping CR but now I'm really worried. Since Berkeley's process is supposed to be more holistic, a rejection from them would feel more personal... like they're not just rejecting my numbers, they are rejecting ME. And Berkeley is my top choice, too.

I wouldn't be too worried--I have basically the exact same numbers as you and have heard nothing (and I like to think I've got good softs, too, but who knows?)

There are a lot of us in the 11/15 UR boat and I think Berkeley is just being slow this year for some reason.

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Weirdlog wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried--I have basically the exact same numbers as you and have heard nothing (and I like to think I've got good softs, too, but who knows?)

There are a lot of us in the 11/15 UR boat and I think Berkeley is just being slow this year for some reason.
They are definitely way behind where they were last year at this time, unless the LSN sample is much smaller this year than last. I don't think we're headed to committee review just yet.

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 am

Berkeley, Please give us some love tomorrow :D please please! I love Berkeley!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”