Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whathojeeves

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
In other news I just realized how cheap Boalt was 3 years ago. It would have been such an easy choice for me. FML :x

TRUTH. My cousin graduated from Hastings around five years ago and was wondering why I was moaning about my pending tuition bills.

"Stop complaining, its only 25k a year!"

Although, at least UCs still are a tiny bit cheaper than Stanford. Small mercies.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:00 pm

whathojeeves wrote:True. I'm just ready to be done with the entire process already (though am slightly concerned about what I will do with myself once I no longer have an excuse to spend 85% of my day on TLS).

haha completely agree :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.

r6_philly wrote:It's ok, be like me and become a fixture :lol:

In other news I just realized how cheap Boalt was 3 years ago. It would have been such an easy choice for me. FML :x

Seriously! :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:01 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

TRUTH. My cousin graduated from Hastings around five years ago and was wondering why I was moaning about my pending tuition bills.

"Stop complaining, its only 25k a year!"

Although, at least UCs still are a tiny bit cheaper than Stanford. Small mercies.

I'm out of state ... it's higher than Ivies.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:I'm hoping for some phone calls today :). And so far, my cycle has been straight numbers, with the exception of UVA.

I wish my numbers were higher, then I would wish for straight numbers. I am ok with the LSAT. I am just always kicking myself for the non-4.0.

Yeah I'm wishing I studied a lot more for something other than the LSAT, a higher GPA definitely would've been nice. r6 you're probably just YP at Duke, they do that pretty regularly. But if you've looked at the UVA forum, people already started getting rejections and WLs, so at this point it looks like not having heard anything is a pretty good thing (but I'm guessing that you're in the same boat as me and don't really care because you got into Berkeley haha).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:Yeah I'm wishing I studied a lot more for something other than the LSAT, a higher GPA definitely would've been nice. r6 you're probably just YP at Duke, they do that pretty regularly. But if you've looked at the UVA forum, people already started getting rejections and WLs, so at this point it looks like not having heard anything is a pretty good thing (but I'm guessing that you're in the same boat as me and don't really care because you got into Berkeley haha).

After this past weekend, yeah! :mrgreen:

ejeric

Postby ejeric » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Got an email from the financial aid office:

"The Boalt Hall Financial Aid office will be closed for the holidays and curtailment from December 22,2010 through January 2, 2011 with limited phone and e mail services on Monday, December 20 and Tuesday, December 21. All services will resume on January 3, 2011."

So the hours at the admissions office may be similar this week?

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:22 pm

ejeric wrote:So the hours at the admissions office may be similar this week?

God I hope not.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:27 pm

ejeric wrote:Got an email from the financial aid office:

"The Boalt Hall Financial Aid office will be closed for the holidays and curtailment from December 22,2010 through January 2, 2011 with limited phone and e mail services on Monday, December 20 and Tuesday, December 21. All services will resume on January 3, 2011."

Well even if it is, limited email services today and it's getting close to 11am on a Monday which is when I got my email, maybe you all are about to hear?

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:

Well even if it is, limited email services today and it's getting close to 11am on a Monday which is when I got my email, maybe you all are about to hear?

Haha, literally as I read your post, my phone buzzed with a new email. Alas, not from Berkeley.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:56 pm

berkeley? why are you so quiet?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
src42 wrote:Good thoughts, thanks for posting them. I, too, am more of a stalker than a poster when it comes to speculative threads. But I found that discussion worth reading. Thanks philly.

Habit - because you send so much love to us Chicago ED applicants, and I've been stalking this thread every once in awhile and know you really want Berkeley - GOOD LUCK!!!!! :D (unless I'm late and you're already in)

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm

src42 wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:

Haha, literally as I read your post, my phone buzzed with a new email. Alas, not from Berkeley.

Ahhhhh that's a bummer. I hate that feeling. Especially when I'm waiting for something exciting and I keep getting emails from Regents Law or Valpariso instead. Ugh.

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:52 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:Ahhhhh that's a bummer. I hate that feeling. Especially when I'm waiting for something exciting and I keep getting emails from Regents Law or Valpariso instead. Ugh.

Haha yeah, a few weeks ago I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize. I was immediately convinced it was Dean Tom calling to congratulate me, but it was some 2L from Indiana University calling to tell me how great Indiana is and how I should apply. I was like, "Yeah ok will do, bye." Poor kid.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:26 pm

src42 wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:Ahhhhh that's a bummer. I hate that feeling. Especially when I'm waiting for something exciting and I keep getting emails from Regents Law or Valpariso instead. Ugh.

Haha yeah, a few weeks ago I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize. I was immediately convinced it was Dean Tom calling to congratulate me, but it was some 2L from Indiana University calling to tell me how great Indiana is and how I should apply. I was like, "Yeah ok will do, bye." Poor kid.

I saw the word "college" in the sender line of a recent email and nearly wet myself. Then I realized it was a "Seasonal Greetings" email from my graduate school. BAH HUMBUG.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Checking in to this thread! Finally applied yesterday. Thing is I went complete today, and then UR 5 minutes later! Pretty quick turnaround! Any guesses out there when I can start hoping for a decision?

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Shloime wrote:Checking in to this thread! Finally applied yesterday. Thing is I went complete today, and then UR 5 minutes later! Pretty quick turnaround! Any guesses out there when I can start hoping for a decision?

Who knows. I've been UR since 11/29, submitted 11/22. Probably Jan/Feb for you.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
src42 wrote:Good thoughts, thanks for posting them. I, too, am more of a stalker than a poster when it comes to speculative threads. But I found that discussion worth reading. Thanks philly.

Habit - because you send so much love to us Chicago ED applicants, and I've been stalking this thread every once in awhile and know you really want Berkeley - GOOD LUCK!!!!! :D (unless I'm late and you're already in)

Awww trudat, thank you! I would really love Berkeley. My boyfriend is applying to a grad school program at Stanford; if we both got in, it's the only situation that would put us in more or less the same place for the next 3 years. But for whatever reason, I'm not stressing too bad about it either - whatever will be will be. Congrats on Chi! It must feel good to know!

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 pm

I think its that special time of day where I start spamming my email.

Comeeee onnnnnn.....!

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Me today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_exermA ... re=related

substitute "hard boiled eggs" for "acceptance." :(

fish52

Postby fish52 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I went complete December 9 at Berkeley and received an admissions email December 13 (yes, 4 days later). No phone call, just an email. I later received a follow-up email with all the information for the admitted student's secure site and received my Boalt folder in the mail (so it wasn't a mistake). I'm just posting this so that people know that law schools are all over the place when it comes turn-around on an application. In another example, I went complete at Harvard two weeks ago and haven't heard anything, but a friend of mine went complete about the same time and was just admitted.

You never know with these things!

Best of luck to everyone still applying!

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:14 pm

fish52 wrote:I went complete December 9 at Berkeley and received an admissions email December 13 (yes, 4 days later). No phone call, just an email. I later received a follow-up email with all the information for the admitted student's secure site and received my Boalt folder in the mail (so it wasn't a mistake). I'm just posting this so that people know that law schools are all over the place when it comes turn-around on an application. In another example, I went complete at Harvard two weeks ago and haven't heard anything, but a friend of mine went complete about the same time and was just admitted.

Congrats. #'s?

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:18 pm

fish52 wrote:I went complete December 9 at Berkeley and received an admissions email December 13 (yes, 4 days later). No phone call, just an email. I later received a follow-up email with all the information for the admitted student's secure site and received my Boalt folder in the mail (so it wasn't a mistake). I'm just posting this so that people know that law schools are all over the place when it comes turn-around on an application. In another example, I went complete at Harvard two weeks ago and haven't heard anything, but a friend of mine went complete about the same time and was just admitted.

Wow that's incredible! Congrats! Especially considering no one else got an email that day on here. Looks like the trend is still Monday emails then.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Knock wrote:

Congrats. #'s?

Since I'm still in the cycle, I won't be too detailed (sorry!) My GPA was above the 75% and my LSAT was about median (I had a nightmare of a LSAT experience, but I refuse to submit any addenda explaining that, but that's another discussion). So my numbers kept me in play, but I have really strong softs, and LORs from deans who I have been close with for 4 years and worked with on post-grad fellowship apps. I'll say that Boalt seems to be an institution of its word when it comes to looking beyond the numbers- I know plenty of applicants with much stronger numbers who were dinged.

Definitely thankful for the quick response from Boalt. It's my #1 for so many reasons, I just don't know that any of the t10 have the intangibles that Boalt does. I'm so ready for this cycle to be over, then we can all get started on accruing a mind-numbing amount of debt!

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Congrats!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:03 pm

fish52 wrote:Definitely thankful for the quick response from Boalt. It's my #1 for so many reasons, I just don't know that any of the t10 have the intangibles that Boalt does. I'm so ready for this cycle to be over, then we can all get started on accruing a mind-numbing amount of debt!

I am not ready. I need to leverage. Or win the lottery.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”