Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
src42

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:06 am

r6_philly wrote:Does that mean you would choose Berkeley over Stanford if you are in both?

I'm not sure. I'd probably pick Stanford over Berkeley but Berkeley over anywhere besides Stanford. My area of interest isn't quite as specialized as yours though. It would be a hard choice, but currently it's all hypothetical, since I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:19 am

src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Does that mean you would choose Berkeley over Stanford if you are in both?

I'm not sure. I'd probably pick Stanford over Berkeley but Berkeley over anywhere besides Stanford. My area of interest isn't quite as specialized as yours though. It would be a hard choice, but currently it's all hypothetical, since I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. :)

Well good luck at both! Having that decision would be awesome!

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 am

r6_philly wrote:Well good luck at both! Having that decision would be awesome!

Indeed. Good luck to you too!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 am

src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I spent the weekend searching top firms for Berkeley and Penn grads and I must say the regional focus for both school is very apparent. Berkeley really moved up my list this weekend after seeing how many grads are practicing what I want versus Penn grads

I think that's why I'd choose Berkeley over Penn/Michigan as well. I want to practice renewable energy law, probably on the West Coast, but not necessarily. Berkeley has some really awesome programs for renewable energy/clean tech/IP, and even Stanford can't beat it.

Hey, I'm going for clean energy law too (but coming from a background in energy efficiency policy, rather than renewables)! Gah Berkeley Energy and Resources Group.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:50 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I spent the weekend searching top firms for Berkeley and Penn grads and I must say the regional focus for both school is very apparent. Berkeley really moved up my list this weekend after seeing how many grads are practicing what I want versus Penn grads

I think that's why I'd choose Berkeley over Penn/Michigan as well. I want to practice renewable energy law, probably on the West Coast, but not necessarily. Berkeley has some really awesome programs for renewable energy/clean tech/IP, and even Stanford can't beat it.

Hey, I'm going for clean energy law too (but coming from a background in energy efficiency policy, rather than renewables)! Gah Berkeley Energy and Resources Group.

You guys both look like good fits, good luck!

As for me I start to realize I probably don't look too appetizing to other schools without my desired focus.

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:Hey, I'm going for clean energy law too (but coming from a background in energy efficiency policy, rather than renewables)! Gah Berkeley Energy and Resources Group.

Nice!! Are you working in DC?

r6_philly wrote:As for me I start to realize I probably don't look too appetizing to other schools without my desired focus.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if schools without much in the environmental/clean energy space aren't too crazy about my very focused PS and work experience. We shall see, I suppose.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:03 pm

src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:As for me I start to realize I probably don't look too appetizing to other schools without my desired focus.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if schools without much in the environmental/clean energy space aren't too crazy about my very focused PS and work experience. We shall see, I suppose.

Let me know how it works out. It's interesting that I only heard back from Berkeley and UT both are big on IP. UVa and Duke has completely abandoned my apps for over 10 weeks. I take them as WLs.

ETA: Deferred by Cornell ... makes sense right?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
src42 wrote:

Let me know how it works out. It's interesting that I only heard back from Berkeley and UT both are big on IP. UVa and Duke has completely abandoned my apps for over 10 weeks. I take them as WLs.

src42 - I was in DC for a few years; I'm in NY now working on the program level. Hoping to go back to DC long-term, though... I think.

philly - Eh, I still think it was YP. I got in at Cornell despite a pretty focused app (but maybe not as focused as yours, it's true), and they don't have too much on energy law.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 pm

I'm hoping for some phone calls today :). And so far, my cycle has been straight numbers, with the exception of UVA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:37 pm

Knock wrote:I'm hoping for some phone calls today :). And so far, my cycle has been straight numbers, with the exception of UVA.

I wish my numbers were higher, then I would wish for straight numbers. I am ok with the LSAT. I am just always kicking myself for the non-4.0.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:src42 - I was in DC for a few years; I'm in NY now working on the program level. Hoping to go back to DC long-term, though... I think.

philly - Eh, I still think it was YP. I got in at Cornell despite a pretty focused app (but maybe not as focused as yours, it's true), and they don't have too much on energy law.

I don't see you guys in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139067

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't see you guys in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139067

Eh, I'm more of a stalker than a poster. Plus, there are enough people in that thread who think they know what they're talking about. :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

src42 wrote:

Eh, I'm more of a stalker than a poster. Plus, there are enough people in that thread who think they know what they're talking about. :)

So who's right? (Just for entertainment purposes)

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
src42 wrote:

Well, it seems that there are a couple different discussions going on in that thread. The first one is whether it's better to go to a school with a highly ranked environmental program over a more highly ranked school that doesn't have a strong environmental program. It'd be pretty moronic to choose, say, Lewis & Clark over Duke for environmental law. However, I can see why it might make sense to pick Berkeley over U Chicago.

The other discussion is whether it's better to get an M.P.P/M.P.A. than a JD to do policy/non-profit work in the environmental sector. There is no right answer there. I have an M.P.P. and have been able to find great work doing policy analysis in renewable energy. But plenty of people can't find anything, and I think, all things being equal, a JD will have a leg up on a kid with an M.P.P. However, the opportunity cost of the extra year in school plus the higher cost of attendance might make the advantage go away. I am only doing law school because I want to be a lawyer, not because my M.P.P. hasn't been sufficient.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Cool beans, I wish more insightful people would post over 0Ls who like to argue. I am restricting myself to application threads now.

I will have a M.P.A. and I must say I would love to get involved in information/infrastructure policy later on, but I want to practice as a lawyer. So we have similar goals/outlook, but in different specializations. So in your opinion, should I place B over CCN in my case? (and in your case)? I know I probably would with H/S but that's not on the table at the moment.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:I'm hoping for some phone calls today :). And so far, my cycle has been straight numbers, with the exception of UVA.

I wish my numbers were higher, then I would wish for straight numbers. I am ok with the LSAT. I am just always kicking myself for the non-4.0.

Ha, I'm kicking myself for both.

src42

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:So in your opinion, should I place B over CCN in my case? (and in your case)? I know I probably would with H/S but that's not on the table at the moment.

It's hard to say. I don't know enough about the specific programs you're interested in, but for me, I'd probably choose Berkeley over CCN, not just for the quality of the curriculum, but also because of the location and networking opportunities (and the weather). And I hate New York.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:35 pm

src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
src42 wrote:

Well, it seems that there are a couple different discussions going on in that thread. The first one is whether it's better to go to a school with a highly ranked environmental program over a more highly ranked school that doesn't have a strong environmental program. It'd be pretty moronic to choose, say, Lewis & Clark over Duke for environmental law. However, I can see why it might make sense to pick Berkeley over U Chicago.

The other discussion is whether it's better to get an M.P.P/M.P.A. than a JD to do policy/non-profit work in the environmental sector. There is no right answer there. I have an M.P.P. and have been able to find great work doing policy analysis in renewable energy. But plenty of people can't find anything, and I think, all things being equal, a JD will have a leg up on a kid with an M.P.P. However, the opportunity cost of the extra year in school plus the higher cost of attendance might make the advantage go away. I am only doing law school because I want to be a lawyer, not because my M.P.P. hasn't been sufficient.

Good thoughts, thanks for posting them. I, too, am more of a stalker than a poster when it comes to speculative threads. But I found that discussion worth reading. Thanks philly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:36 pm

src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:So in your opinion, should I place B over CCN in my case? (and in your case)? I know I probably would with H/S but that's not on the table at the moment.

It's hard to say. I don't know enough about the specific programs you're interested in, but for me, I'd probably choose Berkeley over CCN, not just for the quality of the curriculum, but also because of the location and networking opportunities (and the weather). And I hate New York.

I counted all the courses I am interested in at all the top schools, and Berkeley wins by quite a bit, over even Stanford. I also do not wish to be in NYC if I have a choice (used to work/live there so the novelty is all gone).

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
src42 wrote:

I'm wondering if YP is possible for Duke as well, as I got in really quickly and my numbers are definitely lower than yours. Now Berkeley on the other hand.... UGHHHHH.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:45 pm

whathojeeves wrote:I'm wondering if YP is possible for Duke as well, as I got in really quickly and my numbers are definitely lower than yours. Now Berkeley on the other hand.... UGHHHHH.

It's ok be positive, more than numbers at Berkeley!

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:I'm wondering if YP is possible for Duke as well, as I got in really quickly and my numbers are definitely lower than yours. Now Berkeley on the other hand.... UGHHHHH.

I'm trying, but its hard when I've been UR since late October!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:48 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

There are only 3 waves right? It's ok, you still can make it through committee review. They accept what 900 or so? You guys are still ahead of a big patch since a lot of apps have not even been submitted yet (with Dec. takers).

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

There are only 3 waves right? It's ok, you still can make it through committee review. They accept what 900 or so? You guys are still ahead of a big patch since a lot of apps have not even been submitted yet (with Dec. takers).

True. I'm just ready to be done with the entire process already (though am slightly concerned about what I will do with myself once I no longer have an excuse to spend 85% of my day on TLS).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:54 pm

whathojeeves wrote:True. I'm just ready to be done with the entire process already (though am slightly concerned about what I will do with myself once I no longer have an excuse to spend 85% of my day on TLS).

It's ok, be like me and become a fixture :lol:

In other news I just realized how cheap Boalt was 3 years ago. It would have been such an easy choice for me. FML :x

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”