Berkeley 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby vegenator » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:17 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:So,
Why did you all decide to apply to Berkeley. Being form the Mid-West, Berkeley to me seems like a school only for California people.
What drew all of you non-Cali people to apply to Berkeley?


I'm from the Midwest too, but went to school for a few years at UC Davis. Apart from falling in love with the bay area and NorCal in general, Berkeley is really attractive to me given their focus on public interest and all the opportunities to work in the field of immigration/human trafficking/human rights/civil liberties etc... :D

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 pm

vegenator wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:So,
Why did you all decide to apply to Berkeley. Being form the Mid-West, Berkeley to me seems like a school only for California people.
What drew all of you non-Cali people to apply to Berkeley?


I'm from the Midwest too, but went to school for a few years at UC Davis. Apart from falling in love with the bay area and NorCal in general, Berkeley is really attractive to me given their focus on public interest and all the opportunities to work in the field of immigration/human trafficking/human rights/civil liberties etc... :D


Okay thanks. That's legit.
Can I practice in the midwest or eats coast too, you think, as easily as if I went to a different school?

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:21 pm

NZA wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:So,
Why did you all decide to apply to Berkeley. Being form the Mid-West, Berkeley to me seems like a school only for California people.
What drew all of you non-Cali people to apply to Berkeley?


Cal grad here. Great location, great school, great (maybe good?) legal market.


It's nice to hear it's great... but that's not a lot of information to go on...


Your question was kind of broad, to be fair... :P

I applied mainly for the same reasons as BTTOH: the bay Area is chill. Boalt seems like a chill place to study law for three years. Ergo, application sent. :)


Yea, so there! Just kidding. I mean, there are a lot of reasons (too many to mention right now) for applying to a school, but to get at what I think your point was--the school is not just for California people. Sure the atmosphere can seem a little hectic with all the political shit going on (but even that doesn't happen as much as a lot of people suggest), but when it comes down to it if you like intellectual stimulation, meeting a lot of different people with different views, and hanging out in a cool area of the planet, then Cal has a lot to offer.

Don't worry, you'll be admitted soon and then you'll see for yourself :wink: .

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:21 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
vegenator wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:So,
Why did you all decide to apply to Berkeley. Being form the Mid-West, Berkeley to me seems like a school only for California people.
What drew all of you non-Cali people to apply to Berkeley?


I'm from the Midwest too, but went to school for a few years at UC Davis. Apart from falling in love with the bay area and NorCal in general, Berkeley is really attractive to me given their focus on public interest and all the opportunities to work in the field of immigration/human trafficking/human rights/civil liberties etc... :D


Okay thanks. That's legit.
Can I practice in the midwest or eats coast too, you think, as easily as if I went to a different school?


Dude, come on . . .

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby NZA » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:23 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
vegenator wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:So,
Why did you all decide to apply to Berkeley. Being form the Mid-West, Berkeley to me seems like a school only for California people.
What drew all of you non-Cali people to apply to Berkeley?


I'm from the Midwest too, but went to school for a few years at UC Davis. Apart from falling in love with the bay area and NorCal in general, Berkeley is really attractive to me given their focus on public interest and all the opportunities to work in the field of immigration/human trafficking/human rights/civil liberties etc... :D


Okay thanks. That's legit.
Can I practice in the midwest or eats coast too, you think, as easily as if I went to a different school?


Well, after living on the West Coast, you won't want to move back, so question is illogical to start with. :P

Kidding. But "a different school" could be a million different schools. I mean, yeah, schools on the east coast will probably be placing in higher numbers in, well, the east coast. Same for the Mid.

But I think Boalt is the kind of school where you can go pretty much anywhere as long as you work for it.

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Dude, come on . . .


Lol. +1

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 pm

So I spent sometime today poking around the Internet looking for external info about Berkeley on the subject of Cyberlaw which is what I want to practice ... turns out Berkeley is generally regarded as #1 in the country, over Harvard and Stanford (Stanford was over Harvard but one of the top scholar in the field just went back to Harvard). I wonder if I should move Berkeley to the top of my list since that is the only field I really want to practice? I guess no point in going by the US News ranking since I am not gunning for biglaw?

Any opinions?

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby jd2014! » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:So I spent sometime today poking around the Internet looking for external info about Berkeley on the subject of Cyberlaw which is what I want to practice ... turns out Berkeley is generally regarded as #1 in the country, over Harvard and Stanford (Stanford was over Harvard but one of the top scholar in the field just went back to Harvard). I wonder if I should move Berkeley to the top of my list since that is the only field I really want to practice? I guess no point in going by the US News ranking since I am not gunning for biglaw?

Any opinions?


A few thoughts... first, my guess is that the actual difference between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 rankings in this case is not that great, and that any one of the three schools that you mentioned would provide very solid opportunities in your field of choice. Second, it is possible that after actually studying law you'll be attracted to another area of law. And third, deciding where you actually feel you fit (in terms of the campus vibe, where you could see yourself regionally, etc.) is also pretty significant. If you are absolutely positive about cyberlaw, than I would say that in the event that Harvard and Stanford call you (and I hope they do!) you shouldn't count Berk out just because of USWNR. But I wouldn't necessarily make the choice solely on a different ranking either.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:03 am

jd2014! wrote:
A few thoughts... first, my guess is that the actual difference between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 rankings in this case is not that great, and that any one of the three schools that you mentioned would provide very solid opportunities in your field of choice. Second, it is possible that after actually studying law you'll be attracted to another area of law. And third, deciding where you actually feel you fit (in terms of the campus vibe, where you could see yourself regionally, etc.) is also pretty significant. If you are absolutely positive about cyberlaw, than I would say that in the event that Harvard and Stanford call you (and I hope they do!) you shouldn't count Berk out just because of USWNR. But I wouldn't necessarily make the choice solely on a different ranking either.


Thanks! I am 100% sure that's the area because of my 10+ years of experience in the field. I am going to law school to expand my professional career, not to start a new one. I realize any of the top schools can provide me with a quality education and open the right doors when I graduate, so I am not too hung up about the rankings. I am more or less caught in a dilemma between schools below HYS since those are such long shots). Take Penn for example, if I want to choose based on how I fit, regional connection, convenience, Penn should be a no brainer. However I don't think I will get the same specialty training as at Berkeley. I would like the option to work in CA or back in Philly, so maybe having the Berk degree helps out in this matter since I have strong connection to Philly. Almost the same could be said about CCN (if I get in). Where should I put Berk if I am absolutely sure that cyberlaw/IP is what I want to do primarily. In other words, should I value the course/clinic offerings and faculty quality in the specialty over the slight disadvantages in employment prospect (since my WE will probably give me a leg up anyway).

Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it. I have been struggling with where to put Berk on my list, and it gets tougher the more I research.

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby obrienfa » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:41 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:So,
Why did you all decide to apply to Berkeley. Being form the Mid-West, Berkeley to me seems like a school only for California people.
What drew all of you non-Cali people to apply to Berkeley?


I am from the midwest as well and what drew me to Berkeley was the location, the atmosphere of the school itself (I visited UCLA on the same trip as Berk and hated it) and everything I have read about it makes it seem like it would be a good fit. I have also heard a lot more positive things about bringing a Berkeley degree back home. They also have a great public interest program and the professor I met with on my visit told me about so many great opportunities for students in the PI field, which really sold me.

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby jd2014! » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 am

r6_philly wrote:
jd2014! wrote:
A few thoughts... first, my guess is that the actual difference between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 rankings in this case is not that great, and that any one of the three schools that you mentioned would provide very solid opportunities in your field of choice. Second, it is possible that after actually studying law you'll be attracted to another area of law. And third, deciding where you actually feel you fit (in terms of the campus vibe, where you could see yourself regionally, etc.) is also pretty significant. If you are absolutely positive about cyberlaw, than I would say that in the event that Harvard and Stanford call you (and I hope they do!) you shouldn't count Berk out just because of USWNR. But I wouldn't necessarily make the choice solely on a different ranking either.


Thanks! I am 100% sure that's the area because of my 10+ years of experience in the field. I am going to law school to expand my professional career, not to start a new one. I realize any of the top schools can provide me with a quality education and open the right doors when I graduate, so I am not too hung up about the rankings. I am more or less caught in a dilemma between schools below HYS since those are such long shots). Take Penn for example, if I want to choose based on how I fit, regional connection, convenience, Penn should be a no brainer. However I don't think I will get the same specialty training as at Berkeley. I would like the option to work in CA or back in Philly, so maybe having the Berk degree helps out in this matter since I have strong connection to Philly. Almost the same could be said about CCN (if I get in). Where should I put Berk if I am absolutely sure that cyberlaw/IP is what I want to do primarily. In other words, should I value the course/clinic offerings and faculty quality in the specialty over the slight disadvantages in employment prospect (since my WE will probably give me a leg up anyway).

Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it. I have been struggling with where to put Berk on my list, and it gets tougher the more I research.



You should contact professors in your field at each school and ask for an honest opinion. I've been in touch with a few professors (including at H and S) in the field I want to get into, and they've always been helpful. I know on at least some of the admitted student websites they list faculty who you can contact, so that might be a good place to start. Can't hurt to talk to the actual people you'd be learning from/working with. Other than that, make sure you visit, go to the ASWs, ask current students if you can, and then make up your mind. Luckily there's no rush! :)

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jd2014! wrote:
A few thoughts... first, my guess is that the actual difference between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 rankings in this case is not that great, and that any one of the three schools that you mentioned would provide very solid opportunities in your field of choice. Second, it is possible that after actually studying law you'll be attracted to another area of law. And third, deciding where you actually feel you fit (in terms of the campus vibe, where you could see yourself regionally, etc.) is also pretty significant. If you are absolutely positive about cyberlaw, than I would say that in the event that Harvard and Stanford call you (and I hope they do!) you shouldn't count Berk out just because of USWNR. But I wouldn't necessarily make the choice solely on a different ranking either.


Thanks! I am 100% sure that's the area because of my 10+ years of experience in the field. I am going to law school to expand my professional career, not to start a new one. I realize any of the top schools can provide me with a quality education and open the right doors when I graduate, so I am not too hung up about the rankings. I am more or less caught in a dilemma between schools below HYS since those are such long shots). Take Penn for example, if I want to choose based on how I fit, regional connection, convenience, Penn should be a no brainer. However I don't think I will get the same specialty training as at Berkeley. I would like the option to work in CA or back in Philly, so maybe having the Berk degree helps out in this matter since I have strong connection to Philly. Almost the same could be said about CCN (if I get in). Where should I put Berk if I am absolutely sure that cyberlaw/IP is what I want to do primarily. In other words, should I value the course/clinic offerings and faculty quality in the specialty over the slight disadvantages in employment prospect (since my WE will probably give me a leg up anyway).

Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it. I have been struggling with where to put Berk on my list, and it gets tougher the more I research.


If you get into H you should go there. If not, Berkeley should be your #2! I think you already know this. You sound like you love everything about Berkeley, it's#1 in your field, your kid is going to love NorCal and so are you! Berkeley isn't at the top of my list because it's in the top ten. It's on the top of my list because its atmosphere is like no place else, and I know I would love every minute of being a part of the school. So will you!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 pm

There is no Stanford love in the Berkeley thread? :D

One issue is if I decide to choose Berkeley over Penn, I may have to defer a year for family reasons (selling and moving across country may be too tall a task for 3 months) whereas I can start Penn right away. So I don't know if it would be worth the extra year. It is going to be a difficult decision. But a good problem to have I must admit.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:There is no Stanford love in the Berkeley thread? :D

One issue is if I decide to choose Berkeley over Penn, I may have to defer a year for family reasons (selling and moving across country may be too tall a task for 3 months) whereas I can start Penn right away. So I don't know if it would be worth the extra year. It is going to be a difficult decision. But a good problem to have I must admit.


For you to take S over B you wouldn't be doing yourself a favor (besides with the weather lol). They are equal in quality (I don’t care what the rankings say). "Where should I put Berk if I am absolutely sure that cyberlaw/IP is what I want to do primarily?" #2! Right behind H! Sorry if I’m annoying lol.

Would you go to a class at Burger King to learn how to properly make a five guys burger? No you would go to the place the does what you want to do! Especially if Five Guys is known for having the best burger making program in the world. Penn doesn’t! And Burger King blows!

eecs
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby eecs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Would you go to a class at Burger King to learn how to properly make a five guys an In-N-Out burger?

FTFY. We are talking CA schools...

btw, when you say cyberlaw, is there a specific area you mean? Wikipedia gives it a pretty broad definition... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberlaw

User avatar
daisyduke
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby daisyduke » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:09 pm

eecs wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:Would you go to a class at Burger King to learn how to properly make a five guys an In-N-Out burger?

FTFY. We are talking CA schools...


Haha! I thought the exact same thing when I saw it

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:46 pm

eecs wrote:
btw, when you say cyberlaw, is there a specific area you mean? Wikipedia gives it a pretty broad definition... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberlaw


Pretty much all of that.

eecs
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby eecs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
eecs wrote:
btw, when you say cyberlaw, is there a specific area you mean? Wikipedia gives it a pretty broad definition... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberlaw


Pretty much all of that.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5256.htm
Just looking at that course list makes me sad that my chances are slim to none...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:06 pm

eecs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
eecs wrote:
btw, when you say cyberlaw, is there a specific area you mean? Wikipedia gives it a pretty broad definition... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberlaw


Pretty much all of that.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5256.htm
Just looking at that course list makes me sad that my chances are slim to none...


What's your desired focus? Why do you say you have a slim chance?

The course selection which I wrote about in my PS is very very appealing. I can do my entire 2L/3L in nothing but tech-related courses. Makes me wonder maybe I have a chance to get better grades than Ps. It might be easier for me to stand out at hiring time with that cert... I don't know, I should really connect with faculty and career services at different schools before I make any sort of decision.

But yes that list makes me want to go there next semester.

User avatar
rockyIV
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby rockyIV » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:51 am

lets make the applicant forum about applicants and not personal desired fields of legal work, most people are still waiting to hear back and dont want to sift through the multiple pages of self-promotion to find out whats going on in the admission process, actually no one does.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 am

rockyIV wrote:lets make the applicant forum about applicants and not personal desired fields of legal work, most people are still waiting to hear back and dont want to sift through the multiple pages of self-promotion to find out whats going on in the admission process, actually no one does.


Sorry. Best of luck!

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am

r6_philly wrote:
rockyIV wrote:lets make the applicant forum about applicants and not personal desired fields of legal work, most people are still waiting to hear back and dont want to sift through the multiple pages of self-promotion to find out whats going on in the admission process, actually no one does.


Sorry. Best of luck!


I gotta read something while I wait for that phone call/email/sonar ping that will never come...

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:39 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rockyIV wrote:lets make the applicant forum about applicants and not personal desired fields of legal work, most people are still waiting to hear back and dont want to sift through the multiple pages of self-promotion to find out whats going on in the admission process, actually no one does.


Sorry. Best of luck!


I gotta read something while I wait for that phone call/email/sonar ping that will never come...


Yeah seriously. At least the cyberlaw discussion is keeping the thread alive. Rocky, don't be rude in the Berkeley thread.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 am

src42 wrote:Yeah seriously. At least the cyberlaw discussion is keeping the thread alive. Rocky, don't be rude in the Berkeley thread.


I think discussion Berkeley's strength, and why one would choose it over others should be appropriate, but I do understand the concern about clutter.

I spent the weekend searching top firms for Berkeley and Penn grads and I must say the regional focus for both school is very apparent. Berkeley really moved up my list this weekend after seeing how many grads are practicing what I want versus Penn grads.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby src42 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 am

r6_philly wrote:I spent the weekend searching top firms for Berkeley and Penn grads and I must say the regional focus for both school is very apparent. Berkeley really moved up my list this weekend after seeing how many grads are practicing what I want versus Penn grads


I think that's why I'd choose Berkeley over Penn/Michigan as well. I want to practice renewable energy law, probably on the West Coast, but not necessarily. Berkeley has some really awesome programs for renewable energy/clean tech/IP, and even Stanford can't beat it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 am

src42 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I spent the weekend searching top firms for Berkeley and Penn grads and I must say the regional focus for both school is very apparent. Berkeley really moved up my list this weekend after seeing how many grads are practicing what I want versus Penn grads


I think that's why I'd choose Berkeley over Penn/Michigan as well. I want to practice renewable energy law, probably on the West Coast, but not necessarily. Berkeley has some really awesome programs for renewable energy/clean tech/IP, and even Stanford can't beat it.


Does that mean you would choose Berkeley over Stanford if you are in both?

I actually want to know if others would choose this if Berkeley is regarded as the better school. I believe Berkeley has better course selections (compared them side by side) and I am very familiar with the professor's work already. They may actually be the best (ranked top over H/S for 12 years or something like that).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BruiseWillis, katthegreat11, Keilz, lawcapture, mm2368, patrickkpaul, renc56, TriSapien, Zoe107 and 30 guests