Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Platinum

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by Knock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I am excited to go back to work tomorrow because work day = week day = admissions offices open. Even better? The time change between the East Coast and the West Coast is a great motivator to not fall asleep at my desk around 1:30 pm...

Thank you law school admissions process for improving my life.
:lol: :lol: :lol:. Good luck E=aH!
Thanks Knock!! I sure appreciate your sticking around the thread even after acceptance. btw, I'm cursing the day I chose such a long and annoying-sounding username. Call me Habit :wink: (or something)
Haha, of course. I definitely got to stick around and see how all the acceptances play out, and hopefully bring some good luck to everyone! :D Plus, there's a good chance i'll end up at B. And okay...Habit it is :P. You could try pm'ing an admin and seeing if you could get it shortened too if it's really bugging you.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
CastleRock wrote: Berkeley gives two extra page sfor a personal statement. If you want them to know you want in, use the page limit.
Yah wish I had realized that before I submitted my 1.5 page statement.
I prolly wouldn't have written a 2 page one anyway.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:15 am

Knock wrote:
Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I am excited to go back to work tomorrow because work day = week day = admissions offices open. Even better? The time change between the East Coast and the West Coast is a great motivator to not fall asleep at my desk around 1:30 pm...

:lol: :lol: :lol:. Good luck E=aH!
Thanks Knock!! I sure appreciate your sticking around the thread even after acceptance. btw, I'm cursing the day I chose such a long and annoying-sounding username. Call me Habit :wink: (or something)
Haha, of course. I definitely got to stick around and see how all the acceptances play out, and hopefully bring some good luck to everyone! :D Plus, there's a good chance i'll end up at B. And okay...Habit it is :P. You could try pm'ing an admin and seeing if you could get it shortened too if it's really bugging you.
Ooo, that's a good idea. Thanks!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 am

Knock wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
CastleRock wrote: Berkeley gives two extra page sfor a personal statement. If you want them to know you want in, use the page limit.
Yah wish I had realized that before I submitted my 1.5 page statement.
I was accepted with a just under 2 page personal statement.
This would make me feel better if I didn't know you were awesome :P

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:16 pm

good luck!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Hate work. Love that Monday brings new hope. Here's to hoping everyone has wonderful week of acceptances.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 pm

artichoke wrote:Hate work. Love that Monday brings new hope. Here's to hoping everyone has wonderful week of acceptances.
Sooooo +1!

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know if Berkeley offers scholarships in the packet they send you? Would they mention it on the phone? I'm not really expecting any money as an OOS admit, but it would be good to know!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm

kak5n wrote:Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know if Berkeley offers scholarships in the packet they send you? Would they mention it on the phone? I'm not really expecting any money as an OOS admit, but it would be good to know!
From what i've heard (all anecdotally, so take this with a grain of salt), B is pretty stingy with merit based scholarship money, but they are pretty good with need based money though, with a large percentage of the class getting need-based scholarships.

Personally, I didn't hear about any scholarships on my acceptance phone call. The lady also told me they aren't really sending out acceptance packets (because of cutting costs + going green, i'm guessing), and most of it is going to be online.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Knock wrote:
kak5n wrote:Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but does anyone know if Berkeley offers scholarships in the packet they send you? Would they mention it on the phone? I'm not really expecting any money as an OOS admit, but it would be good to know!
From what i've heard (all anecdotally, so take this with a grain of salt), B is pretty stingy with merit based scholarship money, but they are pretty good with need based money though, with a large percentage of the class getting need-based scholarships.

Personally, I didn't hear about any scholarships on my acceptance phone call. The lady also told me they aren't really sending out acceptance packets (because of cutting costs + going green, i'm guessing), and most of it is going to be online.
Oooh I like that! Hooray for saving trees.
shanemahsa wrote:
artichoke wrote:Hate work. Love that Monday brings new hope. Here's to hoping everyone has wonderful week of acceptances.
Sooooo +1!
+ 1! This is the week, I can feel it.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:52 pm

sarahh wrote:I think the main merit aid they offer is the matching scholarship.
You had to submit to them the cost of attendance from a school on the matching list.
Interesting, they'll consider any scholarship offer in the top 14 EXCEPT Northwestern...

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:55 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
Interesting, they'll consider any scholarship offer in the top 14 EXCEPT Northwestern...
I noticed that too. Does NU give a lot of money, or do you think it's b/c of the applicants that are let in with low numbers but a lot of WE? I would find it hard to believe that they simply think NU is equal in quality to others (i.e., Cornell)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
I noticed that too. Does NU give a lot of money, or do you think it's b/c of the applicants that are let in with low numbers but a lot of WE? I would find it hard to believe that they simply think NU is equal in quality to others (i.e., Cornell)
I'm not quite sure, maybe they have the least amount of overlap in terms of applicants? I think on Dean Z's Michigan blog she talks about how they get some data about overlapping candidates, or something of the sort. That is puzzling though, but maybe it has something to do with Berkeley putting so much emphasis on GPA and NU willing to take sub 3.0 GPAs? Then again, a sub 3.0 probably wouldn't get into Berkeley in the first place to even be eligible for a matching scholarship.

TL;DR version: I have no clue.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Hm, interesting. Berkeley is definitely one of my top choices, but it's expensive. Surprised that they care about anything below themselves in the rankings.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:56 pm

IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:57 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Congrats! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

forward21 wrote:IN! CALL TODAY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Congratulations!!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:00 pm

I'd congratulate you but can't bring myself to wish well on a Badgers fan yet :D

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Woah hooray!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Woah hooray!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Super Congrats.. Welcome to T-10 status.

zarabenjamin

New

Post by zarabenjamin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Congratulations! Can I ask when the call came?

Kaitlyn

Bronze

Post by Kaitlyn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:11 pm

zarabenjamin wrote:
Congratulations! Can I ask when the call came?
+1

Congratulations!!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Got the call! Super excited for the ASW!

510 area code. Lady was SUPER nice!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”