Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sgtgrumbles

Silver

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize a few minutes ago. My heart started pounding, but slowed down soon after the Michigan 2L introduced herself to me. The call was part of their phone-a-thon where current students call admitted ones. God damn it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Coming in to cause mischief I see? :P
I came here to help answer the Dean Tom phone call question. Thank you :P

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:AFFIRMATIVE ACTION DEBATE IN THE MIDDLE OF PEOPLE GETTING ACCEPTANCE CALLS:
No! I am outraged that Berkeley is showing such a blatant preference for cartoon characters. It appears Miracle is the only TLSer who has gotten in today on his/her own merits, and not for starring in a Nickelodeon or Disney show.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 pm

sarahh wrote:
helloperson wrote:Not saying good/bad, and not trying to say he doesn't deserve to be there; just saying that berkeley definitely hates low GPAs; the URM status is a mitigating factor; and it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise.
California public schools, including UC Berkeley, by law, are not allowed to consider URM status. They like high GPAs, but they have a more hollistic review process than most other schools. It is not unheard of for someone with low numbers but unique softs or a compelling personal background to get in.
I was just going to say this.

CA public schools are NOT allowed to practice AA. so stfu and let miracle2011 enjoy his/her incredible cycle, you jealous fucks.

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

camelcrema wrote:
Flips88 wrote:AFFIRMATIVE ACTION DEBATE IN THE MIDDLE OF PEOPLE GETTING ACCEPTANCE CALLS:
No! I am outraged that Berkeley is showing such a blatant preference for cartoon characters. It appears Miracle is the only TLSer who has gotten in today on his/her own merits, and not for starring in a Nickelodeon or Disney show.
+1 !

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:44 pm

the best way to end one controversial argument is to start another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7oMY6sC7wQ

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

This thread just got way off track and negative on a very positive day.

Congrats to all admits! I hope to join you next month!

lynnford

New

Post by lynnford » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm

I got the acceptance call too! :) Just heard the message! Very exciting!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:This thread just got way off track and negative on a very positive day.

Congrats to all admits! I hope to join you next month!
+1 Congrats to all admits - hope to see you at ASW April 8,9

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 pm

lynnford wrote:I got the acceptance call too! :) Just heard the message! Very exciting!
Congrats!

cold_logic

New

Post by cold_logic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cold_logic wrote:
sarahh wrote:California public schools, including UC Berkeley, by law, are not allowed to consider URM status. They like high GPAs, but they have a more hollistic review process than most other schools. It is not unheard of for someone with low numbers but unique softs or a compelling personal background to get in.
QFT. For once, Prop 209 can end a discussion rather than start one.
I will start one in your honor - how do you enforce "consideration"?
Not sure, but I think it's something like, if anyone involved in a CA state university's administration says/writes anything that could be construed as "We treat URMs differently in admissions", they get a lawsuit. And with so many people involved in the application review process, it'd be hard to instruct people to use different standards without something incriminating getting on the record.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:50 pm

how about we say I was wrong (forgot about prop 209) and get back on topic?

let's leave URM discussion in the URM forum.

have any january applicants not in the CR pools gotten dings this week?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

how about we get the deets on what these people making the calls actually said? so that the rest of us TLSers to dream ... :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:52 pm

cold_logic wrote: Not sure, but I think it's something like, if anyone involved in a CA state university's administration says/writes anything that could be construed as "We treat URMs differently in admissions", they get a lawsuit. And with so many people involved in the application review process, it'd be hard to instruct people to use different standards without something incriminating getting on the record.
500+ are admitted by the Dean. It is not a transparent process. I think it's more of a symbolic measure. I'd vote no if I was a CA resident.

But back on topic, congrats everyone! Hope more TLSers get the call!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cold_logic wrote: Not sure, but I think it's something like, if anyone involved in a CA state university's administration says/writes anything that could be construed as "We treat URMs differently in admissions", they get a lawsuit. And with so many people involved in the application review process, it'd be hard to instruct people to use different standards without something incriminating getting on the record.
500+ are admitted by the Dean. It is not a transparent process. I think it's more of a symbolic measure. I'd vote no if I was a CA resident.

I'm still pissed I got admitted without CR and didn't get a call from anybody......... Now I'd feel alot better if they offered me a fat scholarship to make up for it :D

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:58 pm

when I heard first call was made: :shock:
30 minutes later when my phone rang: :D
When no one answered: :x
Hour after I found out: :|

Predicted:
3:30PM: :(
5:30PM: :cry:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: I'm still pissed I got admitted without CR and didn't get a call from anybody......... Now I'd feel alot better if they offered me a fat scholarship to make up for it :D
Most of my admits were calls, but only the UVa one was instant gratification. Otherwise it really isn't anymore exciting and/or informative, especially when you get one during the waves of calls.

Oh I remember, the Berkeley one was the nicest one out of mine. :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lkk

New

Post by lkk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Thanks for waiting with us. :wink:

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: I'm still pissed I got admitted without CR and didn't get a call from anybody......... Now I'd feel alot better if they offered me a fat scholarship to make up for it :D
Most of my admits were calls, but only the UVa one was instant gratification. Otherwise it really isn't anymore exciting and/or informative, especially when you get one during the waves of calls.

Oh I remember, the Berkeley one was the nicest one out of mine. :P
UVA's call was great because they talked about money. I only got two calls even though I've gotten like 12 acceptances. One from UVA and one from Alabama (I was in Puerto Rico and didn't answer for the Alabama one and they just left a message).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm

lkk wrote: Thanks for waiting with us. :wink:
Other people's good news make me happy. My well is a little dry lately.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: UVA's call was great because they talked about money. I only got two calls even though I've gotten like 12 acceptances. One from UVA and one from Alabama (I was in Puerto Rico and didn't answer for the Alabama one and they just left a message).
I don't know how yours went but they were like "$30k" - I said to myself, well that's pretty cool, kind of like Michigan's - then they added "per year" and I was speechless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:07 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize a few minutes ago. My heart started pounding, but slowed down soon after the Michigan 2L introduced herself to me. The call was part of their phone-a-thon where current students call admitted ones. God damn it.
+1. UCLA is gonna be making similar calls tonight, too. I can't do this. Stop calling me, current students!

cawquette

New

Post by cawquette » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: UVA's call was great because they talked about money. I only got two calls even though I've gotten like 12 acceptances. One from UVA and one from Alabama (I was in Puerto Rico and didn't answer for the Alabama one and they just left a message).
I don't know how yours went but they were like "$30k" - I said to myself, well that's pretty cool, kind of like Michigan's - then they added "per year" and I was speechless.
damn, that is awesome

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

neonx wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize a few minutes ago. My heart started pounding, but slowed down soon after the Michigan 2L introduced herself to me. The call was part of their phone-a-thon where current students call admitted ones. God damn it.
+1. UCLA is gonna be making similar calls tonight, too. I can't do this. Stop calling me, current students!
Gotta stalk the right area codes :D

bruinkid8

New

Post by bruinkid8 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:
Gotta stalk the right area codes :D
R6, i've seen you on all the forums for all the T14 schools and stuff, but can i ask what school you are leaning to actually attending? stanford if you get in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”