Berkeley 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dianaw

New

Re: Berkeley 2011 applicants

Post by dianaw » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Just from another POV: multiple T14 admission officers have openly called the us news rankings BS, the general consensus of law school admissions, according to them, is that it is not very objective nor accurate.

Also, I certainly agree with the following:

It's bullshit to simply say, I respect all people and all of their opinions and you should also (even beyond the logic 101 issues with a statement like that).

All opinions are certainly to be tolerated (for practical purposes), but ones based on ignorance should not garner respect at all, and definitely SHOULD be challenged. The point of a liberal, intellectual atmosphere is not to accept ALL claims, but to pick out the WELL-THOUGHT-OUT ones. Biased or ignorant opinions, as soon as they are communicated to others, present a potential of harm.

My two cents.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:39 pm

dianaw wrote: All opinions are certainly to be tolerated (for practical purposes), but ones based on ignorance should not garner respect at all, and definitely SHOULD be challenged. The point of a liberal, intellectual atmosphere is not to accept ALL claims, but to pick out the WELL-THOUGHT-OUT ones. Biased or ignorant opinions, as soon as they are communicated to others, present a potential of harm.

My two cents.
While I agree with your assessment, I don't see congress rushing to outlaw racist or any other non-violet speech that are biased or ignorant and/or amending the constitution.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:God guys, just get the ruler out and start measuring each other's dicks and be done with it.
Come on man, according to Bilbo, these kind of debates are welcomed and encouraged at Boalt.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:God guys, just get the ruler out and start measuring each other's dicks and be done with it.
Come on man, according to Bilbo, these kind of debates are welcomed and encouraged at Boalt.
+1"

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 pm

FTR, r6 and i were simply speculating as to why this years admits on lsn seemed high respective to the medians. seriously - that's all we were doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 pm

hipstermafia wrote:FTR, r6 and i were simply speculating as to why this years admits on lsn seemed high respective to the medians. seriously - that's all we were doing.
Anyone with Ben Gibbard and Zooey Deschanel in their 'tar is okay with me.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:FTR, r6 and i were simply speculating as to why this years admits on lsn seemed high respective to the medians. seriously - that's all we were doing.
hello <3 <3 <3

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
hello <3 <3 <3
I met Ben Gibbard at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. Got a picture with him.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Flips88 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
hello <3 <3 <3
I met Ben Gibbard at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. Got a picture with him.
I have also met Ben Gibbard, twinsies! I got him into my gym. true story.
Last edited by hipstermafia on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:16 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Flips88 wrote: I met Ben Gibbard at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. Got a picture with him.
I have also met Ben Gibbard, twinsies!
Haha have you seen Death Cab? I saw them at Lolla in 2006

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Flips88 wrote: I met Ben Gibbard at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. Got a picture with him.
I have also met Ben Gibbard, twinsies!
Haha have you seen Death Cab? I saw them at Lolla in 2006
Yes, i shall pm you.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:29 pm

When did this thread become a scene where a Japanese motorcycle repeatedly runs over a Hobbit?

IMHO well played vs. random rage, good sir.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dianaw wrote: All opinions are certainly to be tolerated (for practical purposes), but ones based on ignorance should not garner respect at all, and definitely SHOULD be challenged. The point of a liberal, intellectual atmosphere is not to accept ALL claims, but to pick out the WELL-THOUGHT-OUT ones. Biased or ignorant opinions, as soon as they are communicated to others, present a potential of harm.

My two cents.
While I agree with your assessment, I don't see congress rushing to outlaw racist or any other non-violet speech that are biased or ignorant and/or amending the constitution.
You're confusing yourself. No one's saying "don't say x." All we're saying is, "When you say x, you sound like an uptight moron and here's why."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:You're confusing yourself. No one's saying "don't say x." All we're saying is, "When you say x, you sound like an uptight moron and here's why."
There is no need for this ITT, and you're definitely not representing your school well. R6 has wonderful things to say about Berkeley, just because he has thought through and expressed pros/cons for HIM PERSONALLY to the plurality of schools he has been accepted to doesn't make him an uptight moron. GTFO, please & thank you.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
You're confusing yourself. No one's saying "don't say x." All we're saying is, "When you say x, you sound like an uptight moron and here's why."
That's exactly how I feel when you accused me of obsessing over 2 spots in the ranking when I was trying to provide an educated guess on why the numbers on admits seems to be higher. There I even explained I explained why.

Ha this serves to illustrate to your narrow perspective how an articulate argument by you(or so you think) can be perceived as a dog poop in a paper bag by others. Therefore, you shall not pass judgment and walk around like you know everything that's good for everyone. Dude, I don't know how many times I have mentioned the word perspectives here, please learn what it means.

You also failed to address the fact that Berkeley officially love their #1 IP ranking by touting it to every admits.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Can y'all stop bumping TT for no reason? You're making me think there has been movement.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 pm

artichoke wrote:Can y'all stop bumping TT for no reason? You're making me think there has been movement.
You shouldn't expect movement at this hour! I promise to ignore tomorrow during business hour!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swimmergirl1303

Bronze

Post by swimmergirl1303 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Any ideas when people will get committee review emails?

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 am

r6_philly wrote:
artichoke wrote:Can y'all stop bumping TT for no reason? You're making me think there has been movement.
You shouldn't expect movement at this hour! I promise to ignore tomorrow during business hour!

Haha I know, but I get home from work and see huge movement on the berk thread and I have a mini heart attack, only to come here and see it's people bickering over something relatively inconsequential compared to ME GETTING IN TO BERKELEY. Here's hoping for tomorrow.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 am

artichoke wrote: Haha I know, but I get home from work and see huge movement on the berk thread and I have a mini heart attack, only to come here and see it's people bickering over something relatively inconsequential compared to ME GETTING IN TO BERKELEY. Here's hoping for tomorrow.
In all seriousness you are right about this. You should check out the Columbia thread though. At least it was entertaining.

Good luck tomorrow! They have been admitting quite a few this week - which is why we were wondering why they admitted high number people mostly.

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 am

Well, I can think of a few possible scenarios:

1. Berkeley, like many other law schools, is simply going down the list and admitting their "definitelys" (aka high #s) first. Doesn't mean the people with lower #s are less qualified than before.
2. Berkeley is trying to increase its LSAT median.
3. There are just more applicants this year, meaning more highly qualified candidates with high #s to choose from.
4. Only the high #s acceptances are posting on TLS.

I think #4 is totally plausible, considering the fact that I felt happy about my 170 until I visited these forums. TLSers have a way of making you feel inadequate...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:11 am

FWIW I'm above 75th on both, have good softs, extended PS to four pages with a Berkeley specific focus, applied in October, and haven't heard back yet. Berkeley definitely is one of my top choices, too.

So, I still think Berkeley is as random as ever, and I'm betting their randomness will turn out as always: All the top people they admit won't go and all the low numbers people they admit will. Their diverse range of acceptances will be bottom-heavy in matriculation, leaving them with their 167 median.

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 am

Agreed. That's what you get for being holistic, which is probably why other schools don't want to be (as much).

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:32 am

I really could have sworn this forum was supposed to be for people trying to see if, when and how others have heard from the admissions offices.

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 am

r6_philly wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
minuit wrote:congrats to all those admitted!! do you think that berkeley is trying to raise its LSAT median this year? a lot of 170+ scores reporting... or do most of the lower numbers get admitted through faculty review?
I also feel like there have been a disproportionate number of high lsat/gpa acceptances relative to their medians. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN BERKELEY???
They are tired of people talking crap about their numerical qualities. 170 median this year like other T14's?
I looked at the data on LSN for this year's admits vs last year's admits at the same time during the cycle. According to LSN:

Last year's medians for all admits at this time during the cycle: 173.5 / 3.9 (112 data points)
This year's medians for all admits so far: 171 / 3.85 (67 data points)

I will not attempt to interpret these results.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”