What Should My Score Be Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thouse

New

What Should My Score Be

Post by thouse » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 pm

I am an URM (African American Female) non-traditional student and I am planning to take the test in December. My GPA is right now a 3.0 but I know it will probably be lower once LSAC does its thing. The schools I am looking at are:

FAMU
Stetson
UF
FSU
GSU
Mercer
John Marshall
University of GA.

I am looking at these schools because I live in Florida, so my questions are should I wait and apply next cycle thus taking the test at a later date? And what should I be looking to score at. The first time I took an untimed preptest I scored a 150.

broker02

New

Re: What Should My Score Be

Post by broker02 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 am

A 163 will probably get you $$$ at Stetson. You'd get into UF with a 163, but your GPA is going to be a hindrance. Maybe take a year off (don't graduate - the classes won't count if you do) and add some easy classes to your transcript to boost you to around a ~3.2 overall.

UGA will be a ding unless you can pull off a 164ish (at your current GPA). The rest I don't see being too much of an issue.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 am

broker02 wrote:A 163 will probably get you $$$ at Stetson. You'd get into UF with a 163, but your GPA is going to be a hindrance. Maybe take a year off (don't graduate - the classes won't count if you do) and add some easy classes to your transcript to boost you to around a ~3.2 overall.

UGA will be a ding unless you can pull off a 164ish (at your current GPA). The rest I don't see being too much of an issue.

Pretty sure some lower numbers than that will be acceptable.

URM.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:32 am

Wait until next year to apply. Dont take the lsat in dec. Study as much as you can and take it in june. Dont think about what you may need, to get into one of these schools, try to get a 180. Your gpa will be forgotten if you can climb into the 170's. You can do this it will just take a year or less of studying.

Then go to a school you never dreamed possible.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:34 am

thouse wrote:I am an URM (African American Female) non-traditional student and I am planning to take the test in December. My GPA is right now a 3.0 but I know it will probably be lower once LSAC does its thing. The schools I am looking at are:

FAMU
Stetson
UF
FSU
GSU
Mercer
John Marshall
University of GA.

I am looking at these schools because I live in Florida, so my questions are should I wait and apply next cycle thus taking the test at a later date? And what should I be looking to score at. The first time I took an untimed preptest I scored a 150.
this means nothing. Studying = high lsat

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

broker02

New

Post by broker02 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:22 am

kalvano wrote:
broker02 wrote:A 163 will probably get you $$$ at Stetson. You'd get into UF with a 163, but your GPA is going to be a hindrance. Maybe take a year off (don't graduate - the classes won't count if you do) and add some easy classes to your transcript to boost you to around a ~3.2 overall.

URM.

Ordinarily, yes. Sub 3 GPA changes the game a little though.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:27 am

OP needs to boost GPA as much as possible. This means getting above a 3.0. Do some prep tests, and see where you are. If you are getting in the mid 150s and above, then maybe take the Dec. LSAT, with the intention of hitting mid 160s. Then, UF, UGA and other schools are in reach. The schools besides UF and UGA need to be eliminated from the list, period. As a URM, you will get a boost, so getting your LSAT into the 160s will be critical to getting into a reasonable law school.

If you can't get the score you want, take a year off, study, and apply next year. Being impatient with when you go to law school is like someone being impatient with an investment; you will get seriously burned.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:31 am

broker02 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

URM.

Ordinarily, yes. Sub 3 GPA changes the game a little though.
I know of a few low-3.0 or sub-3.0 URMs with low-160 LSATs who have a full ride or close to it to WUSTL. A URM with a 160+ is in at most T20s on down and has a really good shot at the T14. You are way, way, way off base. Like WAY off base, as in not even in the infield, or even in fair territory. I'd say you are outside of the ballpark.

OP, do not ask these questions now, and do not aim as low as you are. BUST YOUR ASS ON THAT LSAT AND GET A 160+. That should be your only real concern at this point. The LSAT is very learnable and it is absolutely possible to go up 10 points or more from your first prep test. Devote your life to the LSAT for the next few months and rock it in December. Spend some time around TLS learning about the application process, and take advantage of the URM thread, since the people in there will know what you're going through. Good luck.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:40 am

OP, seriously, the advice of the posters above is just flat out wrong. Please do not listen to it. Basically, just do this and you're golden:

1. STUDY YOUR ASS OFF. Get a 160+
2. If there is any way to get your GPA up, do it. Your GPA could be a hinderence, but like I said, I know URMs with sub-3.0s with great scholarships.
3. Talk to some of the more knowledgeable URMs on TLS. They will be able to help you gauge where you can get in and where you can get $$.
4. Whatever you do, do NOT go to a school like Stetson or FAMU, etc. If you really rock the LSAT, you can get some great scholarships and great acceptances. African-Americans make up a small percentage of 160+ LSAT scores, and if you can crack into that range you will be heavily sought after. Don't waste this opportunity!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 am

Echoing all the other posters, take FAMU and Stetson off your list. Don't even think about them.

Instead, study as hard and effectively as you can for the LSAT. With a good score, you can get acceptances and scholarships to some great schools. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

abarrios

Bronze

Post by abarrios » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:12 pm

I scored a 151 on my first diagnostic and reached a 164 after 2 months of studying. I know I could have done a lot better also because I did not study nearly as hard as I should have. A 150 is not a bad starting point. So, study hard and good luck.

thouse

New

Post by thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

So is the concensus that I need to stay in UG and take easy classes to boost my GPA and study hard for the LSAT, or to just study hard for the LSAT and not really worry about my GPA?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:43 pm

No. Boost GPA as much as possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thouse

New

Post by thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Isn't that hard to do once you have taken the courses that is within your major?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Depends on how much longer until you graduate.

Take "underwater basket weaving" or something.

thouse

New

Post by thouse » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm

I actually am suppose to graduate in December. Should I retake classes I withdrew from with a WF in the Spring or something?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:05 pm

A "WF" is punitive, so no.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”