FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby drummerboy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

best to wait it out. you wont get any better response.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:15 pm

So, I started looking into housing. Anyone heard of any good apartments nearby? I would prefer not having to furnish since the stuff will probably never get used again, but there seem to be very few furnished apartments that aren't overrun with undergrads.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:So, I started looking into housing. Anyone heard of any good apartments nearby? I would prefer not having to furnish since the stuff will probably never get used again, but there seem to be very few furnished apartments that aren't overrun with undergrads.


I know on the alumni association website there are a bunch of living suggestions. I'm going to try contacting a few of the students from the panel and a bunch of my friends who go there.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:So, I started looking into housing. Anyone heard of any good apartments nearby? I would prefer not having to furnish since the stuff will probably never get used again, but there seem to be very few furnished apartments that aren't overrun with undergrads.


I know on the alumni association website there are a bunch of living suggestions. I'm going to try contacting a few of the students from the panel and a bunch of my friends who go there.



So are both of you for sure attending FSU?

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:00 pm

not totally sure. I'll most likely make my decision after I tour UF on Wednesday.

gator1
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby gator1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

so my current status date is 1/26/2011 and it is "complete"...does anyone else know how much longer I have to wait for it to go under review? PM if you have estimates. I go to UF [crowd goes wild lol] but yeah, looking forward to new horizons.

Stardaze22
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Stardaze22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 pm

gator1 wrote:so my current status date is 1/26/2011 and it is "complete"...does anyone else know how much longer I have to wait for it to go under review? PM if you have estimates. I go to UF [crowd goes wild lol] but yeah, looking forward to new horizons.



mine is the same status as of 1/3. I wonder if it's a bad thing that they haven't reviewed yet, good, or insignificant? but I am getting antsy..especially since I believe I have a rejection letter in transit from UF... :shock:

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:So, I started looking into housing. Anyone heard of any good apartments nearby? I would prefer not having to furnish since the stuff will probably never get used again, but there seem to be very few furnished apartments that aren't overrun with undergrads.


I lived in Tallahassee for a couple of months during the legislative session and stayed at Polos on Park. I liked it. You have the option of getting a furnished apartment. It is also located on the other side of downtown from the campus so many undergrads seemed to stay to the west. The location is nice as well. Only about 5-10 minutes from downtown and the law school by car and there is a Publix less than a mile away.

However, I do not believe that they have studios or 1 BR 1 BA

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 am

gator1 wrote:so my current status date is 1/26/2011 and it is "complete"...does anyone else know how much longer I have to wait for it to go under review? PM if you have estimates. I go to UF [crowd goes wild lol] but yeah, looking forward to new horizons.


I went complete just about the same time as you and was admitted Friday after being 'Under Review' for only two days.

From what I gather, once you go under review a decision usually comes within the week. I'd wager that you will go under review in the next week or two at most.

User avatar
last.chance
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby last.chance » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 pm

I went complete since 11/20. Didn't get a response until this past Friday. There is no real discernible pattern to the school's admission process as with other schools based on my experience (26 applications this cycle). I expected to be rejected; they sent absolutely no mailers, no email save for the completion notice. Surprisingly, they offered 17k/yr. I'm headed to Tallahassee.

User avatar
last.chance
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby last.chance » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Received all info (acceptance and scholarship offer) on Friday afternoon voicemail . The school definitely looks at the degree gpa. My lsdas gpa is a whopping 2.27, degree gpa 3.38, and my major gpa 3.74. Looking forward to meeting my classmates.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 pm

last.chance wrote:Received all info (acceptance and scholarship offer) on Friday afternoon voicemail . The school definitely looks at the degree gpa. My lsdas gpa is a whopping 2.27, degree gpa 3.38, and my major gpa 3.74. Looking forward to meeting my classmates.


Do you mind sharing your LSAT score?

Trinity11
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Trinity11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm

last.chance wrote:Received all info (acceptance and scholarship offer) on Friday afternoon voicemail . The school definitely looks at the degree gpa. My lsdas gpa is a whopping 2.27, degree gpa 3.38, and my major gpa 3.74. Looking forward to meeting my classmates.


no honestly, FSU mainly looks at LSAT. They are not as consistent in their students as UF. If you have a high LSAT and a low GPA, FSU will take you (UF values both GPA and LSAT).

User avatar
last.chance
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby last.chance » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 pm

158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:59 pm

last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


Oh, ok. Well, I was offered 10k/yr..OOS. I have a 165. I think I may see if they will up my first year scholly amount...to combat the OOS tuition. I hear there is a pretty solid process for getting in-state after 1L(which you have to do before 1L starts).

Trinity11
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Trinity11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 pm

last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


and my next question would have been if you are a URM. Yeah you definitely got a large URM bump, but FSU is so LSAT greedy & i personally do not feel like they value GPA enough. But positive side of FSU, probably easier to get to the top of your class! congratulations on your acceptance & I go to FSU currently as an undergrad..tallahassee is great!

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Trinity11 wrote:
last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


and my next question would have been if you are a URM. Yeah you definitely got a large URM bump, but FSU is so LSAT greedy & i personally do not feel like they value GPA enough. But positive side of FSU, probably easier to get to the top of your class! congratulations on your acceptance & I go to FSU currently as an undergrad..tallahassee is great!


Not so sure about that. They have a stiff curve. I believe at the Academic Scholar Day median was said to be 79-81.

User avatar
last.chance
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby last.chance » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


Oh, ok. Well, I was offered 10k/yr..OOS. I have a 165. I think I may see if they will up my first year scholly amount...to combat the OOS tuition. I hear there is a pretty solid process for getting in-state after 1L(which you have to do before 1L starts).



yea 10k is awesome. I already looked into getting residency. The driver's license and car registration must be changed asap. 2 yrs @ 5k/yr is nothing compared to some of the numbers you see others contemplating on here. I'm trying to be there for August 1st for residency purposes.

Trinity11
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Trinity11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:16 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
Trinity11 wrote:
last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


and my next question would have been if you are a URM. Yeah you definitely got a large URM bump, but FSU is so LSAT greedy & i personally do not feel like they value GPA enough. But positive side of FSU, probably easier to get to the top of your class! congratulations on your acceptance & I go to FSU currently as an undergrad..tallahassee is great!


Not so sure about that. They have a stiff curve. I believe at the Academic Scholar Day median was said to be 79-81.


Maybe you are probably right. Just from what I have seen and people I know that have gotten into FSU. They are pretty notorious for loving the LSAT without nearly as much emphasis on GPA. I am in at FSU and UF, but (maybe because I am at FSU now) I have a sour taste in my mouth from what I have seen them do in admissions and from what I have heard from current 1L's and 2L's I know their now. For those (personally reasons I suppose) I will be choosing UF over FSU for sure for law school.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

last.chance wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


Oh, ok. Well, I was offered 10k/yr..OOS. I have a 165. I think I may see if they will up my first year scholly amount...to combat the OOS tuition. I hear there is a pretty solid process for getting in-state after 1L(which you have to do before 1L starts).



yea 10k is awesome. I already looked into getting residency. The driver's license and car registration must be changed asap. 2 yrs @ 5k/yr is nothing compared to some of the numbers you see others contemplating on here. I'm trying to be there for August 1st for residency purposes.


Yes, if I decide to go I am planning on moving in Aug. 1st. Here is the link to the residency guide...http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/residency_reclassification_guidelines.pdf

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Trinity11 wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
Trinity11 wrote:
last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


and my next question would have been if you are a URM. Yeah you definitely got a large URM bump, but FSU is so LSAT greedy & i personally do not feel like they value GPA enough. But positive side of FSU, probably easier to get to the top of your class! congratulations on your acceptance & I go to FSU currently as an undergrad..tallahassee is great!


Not so sure about that. They have a stiff curve. I believe at the Academic Scholar Day median was said to be 79-81.


Maybe you are probably right. Just from what I have seen and people I know that have gotten into FSU. They are pretty notorious for loving the LSAT without nearly as much emphasis on GPA. I am in at FSU and UF, but (maybe because I am at FSU now) I have a sour taste in my mouth from what I have seen them do in admissions and from what I have heard from current 1L's and 2L's I know their now. For those (personally reasons I suppose) I will be choosing UF over FSU for sure for law school.


Their?

Personally reasons I suppose?

And what exactly have you seen them do in admissions? Smoke the applications? Use them as bonfire fuel?

User avatar
last.chance
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby last.chance » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:37 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
last.chance wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
last.chance wrote:158... I'm an URM tho. The bump is noticeable some of my other offers just don't add up if not for that.


Oh, ok. Well, I was offered 10k/yr..OOS. I have a 165. I think I may see if they will up my first year scholly amount...to combat the OOS tuition. I hear there is a pretty solid process for getting in-state after 1L(which you have to do before 1L starts).



yea 10k is awesome. I already looked into getting residency. The driver's license and car registration must be changed asap. 2 yrs @ 5k/yr is nothing compared to some of the numbers you see others contemplating on here. I'm trying to be there for August 1st for residency purposes.


Yes, if I decide to go I am planning on moving in Aug. 1st. Here is the link to the residency guide...http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/residency_reclassification_guidelines.pdf


Thanks!

Trinity11
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby Trinity11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Forgive me for my typos, Mr. 3.0 GPA. No need to get freakin' defensive, jesus. Was I attacking FSU? No, just saying my personal opinion. See that is the thing about the internet, men who probably do not have balls all of a sudden do & lash out.
FSU is definitely ready for you!

User avatar
last.chance
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby last.chance » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Exactly. UF deserves a fine student such as yourself Trinity.
Last edited by last.chance on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU c/o2014 Applicants!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Trinity11 wrote:Forgive me for my typos, Mr. 3.0 GPA. No need to get freakin' defensive, jesus. Was I attacking FSU? No, just saying my personal opinion. See that is the thing about the internet, men who probably do not have balls all of a sudden do & lash out.
FSU is definitely ready for you!


Actually, I know a good number of people in TLS in real life. More to the point, you're uninformed and ignorant. You baselessly say it is easier to finish at the top of the class at FSU without having any idea of the curve or what qualities are necessary to do so. Yes, you were attacking FSU by throwing out this vague, blanket statement about seeing what the admissions office does. I object to ignorant advice in all forms, so I merely pointed it out. Also, I believe you have no idea how to properly use there, their, and they're.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”